Do the 4 Gospel Writers Teach that Jesus Died for Mankinds Sins or only the Letters of Paul?

billy t

Veteran
In the books written by Paul it is clear that he teaches the doctrine that Jesus died for mankinds sins. However, are there clear verses in the 4 gospels where this is taught? Surely if this was such an important belief the verses would be EXPLICIT but the only place they are explicit are in the letters of Paul unless someone can show me otherwise. Even if it is missing from some of the gospels and only present in others then it raises questions because why would such an important detail be omitted?!

Tidal

Star
Jesus referred to himself in Matthew 20:28 and Mark 10:45 as "a ransom for many,"
The word "ransom" indicates a price paid for freeing a slave or prisoner, a common practice in the time of the New Testament.
The price Jesus paid was his death which soaked up the sins of mankind like blotting paper and gave us a clean slate.
Jesus said- "I didn't come to judge the world, but to save it."(John 12:47)

In a sense we're all slaves and prisoners on this planet as Jesus said-
"God has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners...to release the oppressed" (Luke 4:18 )

A Freeman

Superstar
Please see a few references below, which should make it clear this subject was not omitted from the Gospel accounts:-

Matthew 1:20-21
1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the "I AM" appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Matthew 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of Man hath power on Earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.

Matthew 18:11 For the Son of Man is come to save that which was Lost.

Matthew 26:27-28
26:27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave [it] to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
26:28 For this is my blood of the New Covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Mark 2:10 But that ye may know that the Son of Man hath power on Earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)

Luke 5:24 But that ye may know that the Son of Man hath power upon Earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

John 10:11 I am the Good Shepherd: the Good Shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

There are hundreds of prophecies about Jesus in the Old Covenant, including many about His Crucifixion which, if properly read and understood, the Koran CONFIRMS. One such passage below from Isaiah:-

Isaiah 53:1-11
53:1 Who hath believed Our report? and to whom is the Arm of the "I AM" revealed?
53:2 For he shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, [there is] no beauty that we should desire him.
53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a "man of sorrows", and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were [our] faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
53:5 But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed (Matthew 27).
53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the "I AM" hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
53:8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of My people was he stricken.
53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither [was any] deceit in his mouth.
53:10 Yet it pleased the "I AM" to bruise him; he hath put [him] to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of the "I AM" shall prosper in his hand.

The reason this concept of sacrifice for the greater good is so misunderstood is because so very few read and study The Law, found in the first five books of the Bible, namely Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.

Note: It is important to remember that Jesus sacrificed Himself to pay for our PAST SINS (Rom. 3:25); Christ did NOT suffer the agony of the cross to give us the freedom to sin (break The Law - commit crimes/evil against one another) with impunity.

Last edited:

billy t

Veteran
Cool, thanks. I am not here to argue the concept of the original sin or the reliability of the New Testament as these are different topics for another day but yeah I was curious what the gospels said about it and it is clear that the gospels do have clear textual evidence to support it.

A Freeman

Superstar
Good day and good wishes @billy t .

Did you ask the question in your OP please because it is commonly (and mistakenly) taught in "Islam" that the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus didn't happen, and that the concept of sacrificing oneself for another is likewise commonly misunderstood? The other two topics you've mentioned could also be addressed at the same time.

This seems like a worthwhile discussion to have, to sort out these misconceptions, if that's something you'd be interested in doing.

Peace be upon you.