Do the “elites” believe the Rapture is imminent?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Contrary to the falsehood being spread, the pre-tribulation rapture doctrine was not "cooked-up" by Darby in 1830.

The early church fathers followed the Apostle Paul's teaching. When Christianity was adopted as the State Religion, such ideas were dismissed as they conflicted with the absolute authority of the Roman Emperor and were considered to be the cause of "discord" among the citizens of the Roman Empire, so Amillennialsim and "spiritualization" of Scripture were "cooked-up" for the Catholic Church and then adopted by the Protestant "Reformers".

Papias (60-130)

Clement of Rome (90-100)

The Sherpherd of Hermas (96-150)

Ignatius of Antioch (98-117)

Barnabas (100)

The Didache (100-160)

Justin Martyr (110-165)

The Epistle of Barnabas (117-138)

Irenaeus (120-202)

Tertullian (145-220)

Hippolytus (185-236)

Cyprian (200-250)

Lactantius (260-330)

http://www.essentialchristianity.com/pages.asp?pageid=21918

and a one-world religion...
Has it ever occurred to you that it may have been in progress 2000 years ago?

“You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, YHWH your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.
(Exodus 20:3-6)

(aka, no trinity, no Joshua worship)

Contrary to the falsehood being spread, the pre-tribulation rapture doctrine was not "cooked-up" by Darby in 1830.

The early church fathers followed the Apostle Paul's teaching. When Christianity was adopted as the State Religion, such ideas were dismissed as they conflicted with the absolute authority of the Roman Emperor and were considered to be the cause of "discord" among the citizens of the Roman Empire, so Amillennialsim and "spiritualization" of Scripture were "cooked-up" for the Catholic Church and then adopted by the Protestant "Reformers".

Papias (60-130)

Clement of Rome (90-100)

The Sherpherd of Hermas (96-150)

Ignatius of Antioch (98-117)

Barnabas (100)

The Didache (100-160)

Justin Martyr (110-165)

The Epistle of Barnabas (117-138)

Irenaeus (120-202)

Tertullian (145-220)

Hippolytus (185-236)

Cyprian (200-250)

Lactantius (260-330)

http://www.essentialchristianity.com/pages.asp?pageid=21918
Chilaism was heavily ruled a heresy, just as Gnosticism was. If you accept the early Church's position on Gnosticism.....then they can't be wrong about Chilaism. If they were wrong about Chailism all of a sudden (1830s it suddenly became the truth), then maybe Gnosticism wasn't wrong afterall?
You have a deeply flawed logic Red.

The Protestantism of the sixteenth century ushered in a new epoch of millenarian doctrines. Protestant fanatics of the earlier years, particularly the Anabaptists, believed in a new, golden age under the sceptre of Christ, after the overthrow of the papacy and secular empires. In 1534 the Anabaptists set up in Münster (Westphalia) the new Kingdom of Zion, which advocated sharing property and women in common, as a prelude to the new kingdom of Christ. Their excesses were opposed and their millenarianism disowned by both the Augsberg (art. 17) and the Helvetian Confession (ch. 11), so that it found no admission into the Lutheran and Reformed theologies. Nevertheless, the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries produced new apocalyptic fanatics and mystics who expected the millennium in one form or another: in Germany, the Bohemian and Moravian Brethren (Comenius); in France, Pierre Jurien (L'Accomplissement des Propheties, 1686); in England at the time of Cromwell, the Independents and Jane Leade. A new phase in the development of millenarian views among the Protestants commenced with Pietism. One of the chief champions of the millennium in Germany was I.A. Bengel and his disciple Crusius, who were afterwards joined by Rothe, Volch, Thiersch, Lange and others. Protestants from Wurtemberg emigrated to Palestine (Temple Communities) in order to be closer to Christ at His second advent. Certain fantastical sects of England and North America, such as the Irvingites, Mormons, Adventists, adopted both apocalyptic and millenarian views, expecting the return of Christ and the establishment of His kingdom at an early date. Some Catholic theologians of the nineteenth century championed a moderate, modified millenarianism, especially in connection with their explanations of the Apocalypse; as Pagani (The End of the World, 1856), Schneider (Die chiliastische Doktrin, 1859), Rohling (Erklärung der Apokalypse des hl. Iohannes, 1895; Auf nach Sion, 1901), Rougeyron Chabauty (Avenir de l'Église catholique selon le Plan Divin, 1890).

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Has it ever occurred to you that it may have been in progress 2000 years ago?

“You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, YHWH your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

(aka, no trinity, no Joshua worship)

And here is the interesting question...

Out of those who identify as “Christian”, a subset (drawn from all denominations) put their trust in Jesus for their salvation and are born again believers. I have met born again Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, Anglicans etc.

There is another subset of people who identify as Christians who look to their works and religious observance to put them in good standing with God. Typically, these people (however agreeable they might be) would not identify as being “born again” and if questioned would not hold up the completed work of Jesus on the cross as their means of salvation.

If the true church of born again people leaves at the Rapture, what will remain will be other religions plus the apostate church. Some from this group will reconsider the Gospel whilst others will gladly join the unifying spirituality offered by the man the Bible calls the “false prophet”.

I wouldn’t take the trouble to write any of this I I didn’t care enough to warn people @Infinityloop - if I’m right, by my the time it all begins to unfold, I won’t be here to discuss any of this with anyone.

Out of those who identify as “Christian”, a subset (drawn from all denominations) put their trust in Jesus for their salvation and are born again believers.
You put your faith in Joshua instead of YHWH.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Chilaism was heavily ruled a heresy, just as Gnosticism was. If you accept the early Church's position on Gnosticism.....then they can't be wrong about Chilaism. If they were wrong about Chailism all of a sudden (1830s it suddenly became the truth), then maybe Gnosticism wasn't wrong afterall?
You have a deeply flawed logic Red.

The Protestantism of the sixteenth century ushered in a new epoch of millenarian doctrines. Protestant fanatics of the earlier years, particularly the Anabaptists, believed in a new, golden age under the sceptre of Christ, after the overthrow of the papacy and secular empires. In 1534 the Anabaptists set up in Münster (Westphalia) the new Kingdom of Zion, which advocated sharing property and women in common, as a prelude to the new kingdom of Christ. Their excesses were opposed and their millenarianism disowned by both the Augsberg (art. 17) and the Helvetian Confession (ch. 11), so that it found no admission into the Lutheran and Reformed theologies. Nevertheless, the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries produced new apocalyptic fanatics and mystics who expected the millennium in one form or another: in Germany, the Bohemian and Moravian Brethren (Comenius); in France, Pierre Jurien (L'Accomplissement des Propheties, 1686); in England at the time of Cromwell, the Independents and Jane Leade. A new phase in the development of millenarian views among the Protestants commenced with Pietism. One of the chief champions of the millennium in Germany was I.A. Bengel and his disciple Crusius, who were afterwards joined by Rothe, Volch, Thiersch, Lange and others. Protestants from Wurtemberg emigrated to Palestine (Temple Communities) in order to be closer to Christ at His second advent. Certain fantastical sects of England and North America, such as the Irvingites, Mormons, Adventists, adopted both apocalyptic and millenarian views, expecting the return of Christ and the establishment of His kingdom at an early date. Some Catholic theologians of the nineteenth century championed a moderate, modified millenarianism, especially in connection with their explanations of the Apocalypse; as Pagani (The End of the World, 1856), Schneider (Die chiliastische Doktrin, 1859), Rohling (Erklärung der Apokalypse des hl. Iohannes, 1895; Auf nach Sion, 1901), Rougeyron Chabauty (Avenir de l'Église catholique selon le Plan Divin, 1890).
Seriously? Chialism? The notion that a restoration of the earth following the time of Jacob’s Trouble is pretty clearly revealed by the plain reading of scripture in a number of Old Testament prophetic passages as well as the more familiar ones in the new.

Typically, these people (however agreeable they might be) would not identify as being “born again”
As I already stated in another thread:

"Born again" as promoted by Protestants is a catchphrase which denotes a kind of virtue signaling common in cults of any kind. The very way it is used by Protestants is also indistinguishable by the kind of terms that cult members self-designate themselves with. The Protestant evangelical "born again" has nothing to do with Jesus or the Bible.
What the catchphrase denotes to them is "I am in the cult therefore I have the pleasure of approval of the cult because I am a true believer" etc.
Again, it has nothing to do with Jesus or the Bible, nothing to do with John 3.

The people you speak of are people who identify as Christians.

and if questioned would not hold up the completed work of Jesus on the cross as their means of salvation.
This is just a testament to the laziness of mainstream Christianity, you don't do your own work, you rely on the work of others. Joshua did not die for your sins, you will.

Seriously? Chialism? The notion that a restoration of the earth following the time of Jacob’s Trouble is pretty clearly revealed by the plain reading of scripture in a number of Old Testament prophetic passages as well as the more familiar ones in the new.
You certainly like Gnosticism when it agrees with you, lol

You and I both know that is a false comparison, but you are welcome to write whatever you care to.

(btw these are all Christian sources giving Christian views about it)

Last edited:
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:51-53‬ ‭
Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.

‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭4:13-17‬
But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.​
If u read the above carefully it is as I have said. The rapture is AT THE END, when Christ returns. It even says above. Christ returns AFTER the tribulation.

When Christ returns, those souls who have died who are saved rise out of the earth, as do the living who the above again says "we who are alive and remain" as Christ returns AT THE END. The risen or "raptured" go up to meet Christ as he descends upon the earth.

Lisa

Superstar
If u read the above carefully it is as I have said. The rapture is AT THE END, when Christ returns. It even says above. Christ returns AFTER the tribulation.

When Christ returns, those souls who have died who are saved rise out of the earth, as do the living who the above again says "we who are alive and remain" as Christ returns AT THE END. The risen or "raptured" go up to meet Christ as he descends upon the earth.
Yes, I agree that the rapture is at the end not the beginning..but my reply with those scriptures was to tidal.

Jesus was only sent to the Jews, his purpose was to redirect 'the house/children of Israel' towards a more complete understanding of the Torah which as shown in the Old Testament (Tanakh) itself was something they kept drifting away from. Matthew 5:17-20 sums up things very well, John 1 also reflects this. Prior to Jesus we had the notion in Midrash of the Torah itself being an eternal expression of God, the idea of Jesus as provided by the New Testament is that he is the embodiment of 'correct thought/deeds/actions' etc and an adherent of pure monotheism (Jesus believed in Deuteronomy 6:4-5 strongly and repeated it as the thing that the Pharisees were devoid of at the time). Jesus was not the 'incarnation of God', he was the embodiment of the Torah. He was a living demonstration for the Pharisees.
He was the anointed one, in the truer and more unadulterated sense of the term.

Just like with the Talmud, the New Testament deals with a lot of evolved variations of what this idea can mean and how it would play out as a historical event, as influenced by the religious cultures of many other (which I'll explain more later in this post).

God does not change and God provided the path of salvation since the beginning of all things. Jesus being a sacrifice of our sins and a collective sin offering or scapegoat for humanity is a fundamental contradiction of the direct and consistent ontology of existence, as revealed timelessly by God to the Prophets.

The concept of the "Messiah" (or Moschiach in Hebrew, Christos in Greek) is something that evolved over time, and in quite a mythological fashion. I don't believe the concept itself is fundamentally wrong (because it clearly has it's place in temple ritual, related to consecration) but the evolution of the concept has certainly been heavily influenced a lot by Zoroastrianism (as very evident by all texts dated around the exile period and the ongoing adoration of the Israelites toward Cyrus the Great who was considered a Messiah of the Israelites in various Tanakh books) and other things, plus it's hellenization within the mainstream Christian understanding.

And yes there are many angles to come at this from.

As I said in an earlier post:

The New Testament contains many contradictory Christologies, which has been historically the cause of the creation of so many sects both pre-Catholic (including those referred to by the pejorative of "Gnostic") and in the Protestant era. The lack of a basis in historical understanding of these concepts creates new sects, even to this day. Start with the Levitical rituals and work your way through the rest of the Tanakh and Talmud. Then see in which way the various Christologies of the New Testament both affirm, oppose, contradict and polemicize against this.
It's all a convoluted mess but a very very interesting thing to study
Oh ok was just wondering because it seemed like we were on the same wave when it came to the topic. I see we're not (respectfully). So while I agree with your take on Jesus and his alleged "sacrifice" I disagree with your take on what his purpose was (assuming he even existed). I think to come to your take that he simply came to redirect back to the Torah, you'd have to ignore many things either said about him, or that he said himself. Like him saying he is the "way, the truth etc" to God. A spiritual mediator between God and person isnt something that is supported in the Torah. I mean who did Abraham have to go thru? Moses? Noah? David?

I agree though on the misunderstanding of Messiah. The OT doesnt talk of a mystical messiah thats going to die for someone sins, or thats half god/half man (essentially paganism) who comes to be killed, mocked, spat on by his own creation so he could forgive everyone. Its talking about a DELIVERER who would help deliver Israel out of the hands of their oppressors. For example:

Judges 3
7 The Israelites did evil in the eyes of the Lord; they forgot the Lord their God and served the Baals and the Asherahs. 8 The anger of the Lord burned against Israel so that he sold them into the hands of Cushan-Rishathaim king of Aram Naharaim,[a] to whom the Israelites were subject for eight years. 9 But when they cried out to the Lord, he raised up for them a deliverer, Othniel son of Kenaz, Caleb’s younger brother, who saved them. 10 The Spirit of the Lord came on him, so that he became Israel’s judge[b] and went to war. The Lord gave Cushan-Rishathaim king of Aram into the hands of Othniel, who overpowered him. 11 So the land had peace for forty years, until Othniel son of Kenaz died.

Thats who supposed to come in the last days to Israel. Not someone who comes, doesnt deliver them, makes a false promise that some of them would be alive when he returned, and 2000+ (allegedly) years later he's still nowhere to be seen. Kinda off topic but thats one of the reasons why I stopped believing in Jesus though I pretty much believed as you outlined here which is why I asked if you were muslim or maybe of some other denomination (or no label altogether)...

Like him saying he is the "way, the truth etc" to God. A spiritual mediator between God and person isnt something that is supported in the Torah. I mean who did Abraham have to go thru? Moses? Noah? David?
With this there are a lot of potential points I could raise but some of the basic things here:

1. The role of a Prophet defacto is to he "the way, the truth and light" in the Old Testament, so the sentiment he echoes is nothing new, unless you pose an exclusivity towards Jesus which would obviously be in massive dissonance with the Old Testament and would naturally imply a kind of Marcionite view because to claim such a thing about Jesus would require rejecting the Old Testament to varying degrees.
2. Yes an exclusive mediator is not supported by the Torah, salvation comes only through God (YHWH, as called in the Old Testament)
3. Abraham, Moses, Noah et al were all themselves mediators, clearly - as with the whole purpose of the existence of angels themselves
4. In interpretations of John 14:6 there is also the very clearly not understood (within any mainstream Christology) of the divine voice and the personal voice. John 14:6 could easily be Jesus not speaking of himself but speaking of YHWH - a perfect Old Testament example would be the entire book of Deuteronomy which is not Moses' own personal opinions, but rather him explicating YHWH's message (and summarizing the doctrine and law). If we were to take the contents attributed to Deuteronomy as Moses' own personal voice (as Christians have done with Jesus) then we would have to assume some kind of deification of Moses, which would of course be very very strange.

I agree though on the misunderstanding of Messiah. The OT doesnt talk of a mystical messiah thats going to die for someone sins, or thats half god/half man (essentially paganism) who comes to be killed, mocked, spat on by his own creation so he could forgive everyone. Its talking about a DELIVERER who would help deliver Israel out of the hands of their oppressors. For example:
Well in the Old Testament itself there is only very narrow inference leaning towards the eschatologically evolved concept of "The Messiah", most of which is based off the concept of both fate (Zion or the promised land, et al), justice and redemption (of the 'fallen' Israelites who keep disobeying the Torah apparently).

This subject is a very complex and intertextual debate between the Talmud and the New Testament, both of which have contradicting views of this. The problem of course is that the New Testament relies on the claims of the Talmud to even get the idea of "The Messiah" in the first place.

As already explicated, there are many "messiahs" (anointed ones) in the Old Testament already of various kinds and no direct messianism views aside from the Zion concept of the promised land etc.
For Christianity it is a very slippery slope, lol.

Thats who supposed to come in the last days to Israel. Not someone who comes, doesnt deliver them, makes a false promise that some of them would be alive when he returned, and 2000+ (allegedly) years later he's still nowhere to be seen.
Yes I do agree with this, in the case of early prechristianity, it was clearly perceived to be an imminent end-times situation not projected to some distant future but literally some time that century.
I think this is a natural issue with all religions that have 'messianic' elements, is that there is a clear disconnect between the essence of a teaching and what the early followers perceived. There are furthermore also obvious problems regarding the relentless battle between "literal vs metaphor", which would be very easily alleviated with basic historical understanding of where when how and why various statements came to be in these texts.

Kinda off topic but thats one of the reasons why I stopped believing in Jesus though I pretty much believed as you outlined here which is why I asked if you were muslim or maybe of some other denomination (or no label altogether)...
Well yes I am, but I hardly consider it important to the discussion, I tend to for all intents and purposes, identify myself simply as a Monotheist when it comes to debate as I am not trying to support any preconceived views held but rather come to the truth of whatever subject is being discussed. I am not afraid of having my views changed and have had it happen many times.
I do not like what comes with labels or group banners but I will leave my thoughts on that for another discussion.
And in terms of what we've been discussing at least, all my views come from the texts and anthropology of Judaism and early-Christianity.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

(btw these are all Christian sources giving Christian views about it)
Amillenialist Christians have always opposed the pre-millennial view (based on Augustine’s teachings in “City of God”) and have written thousands of articles and polemics against the view.

It is interesting that Augustine was also a key proponent of “Kingdom Now” and Replacement Theology. If you were to look into the number of Christians who oppose the idea that God could have had a hand in restoring the state of Israel, you will find an equal and perhaps greater body of content attacking “Christian Zionists”.

It actually comes down to the issue of “when” is the Kingdom going to be established. The best and most thorough treatment of this topic I have heard was a book (and a YouTube playlist breaking it down) from Andy Woods.

An overview:-

The full playlist:-

Last edited:
Amillenialist Christians have always opposed the pre-millennial view
pre-millennialist Christians have always opposed the Amillenialist truth (according to the Bible).

(based on Augustine’s teachings in “City of God”) and have written thousands of articles and polemics against the view.

It is interesting that Augustine was also a key proponent of “Kingdom Now” and Replacement Theology. If you were to look into the number of Christians who oppose the idea that God could have had a hand in restoring the state of Israel, you will find an equal and perhaps greater body of content attacking “Christian Zionists”.
No, actually it clearly is the view of the founding fathers.

Do you ever wonder why it was ruled a heresy? it's very self-explanatory really and was very necessary.

"Transmillenialism" is an interesting idea, I wonder what other prefixes we can attach to it, since we've started....

"Intermillenialist dispensationalist Biblical Eschatology"
"Ultramillenialist dispensationalist Biblical Eschatology"
"Hypermillenialist dispensationalist Biblical Eschatology"
"Perimillenialist dispensationalist Biblical Eschatology"

Lol, no wonder the rapture sounds like Scifi, cause it is.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
2 Timothy 4:14-18 (KJV)

14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:
15 Of whom be thou ware also; for he hath greatly withstood our words.
16 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.
17 Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.
18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Since Paul preached the Gospel of Grace, according to Ephesians, it is not unreasonable to suppose that Alexander opposed this Gospel.

Ephesians 3 (KJV)
3 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

For me, the part that stood out is that those who will refuse the grace of God will be judged by the works they have trusted in. Will they be revealed to be as pure as they commend their own consciences and works to be when they face the Father?

Paul knew he needed grace.

So do I.