Dispensationalism is not Biblical, it is a man-made doctrine.

phipps

Star
What is dispensationalism? And where did it originate?

Dispensationalism. A method of biblical interpretation first systematically formulated in the 19th. Century by John Nelson Darby (1800-1882), dynamic leader of the Plymouth Brethren... Darby developed an elaborate philosophy of history based on biblical prophecy. He divided all history into separate eras or dispensations,... each of which contained a different order by which God worked out his redemptive plan.” J. D. Douglas, editor, New 20th.—Century Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, pg. 266.

“According to Darby, Christians must interpret history in light of seven epochs or “dispensations,” each of which reflects a particular manner in which God deals with humanity. For example, we currently live under the dispensation of “Grace,” whereby people are judged according to their personal relationship with Jesus Christ. This hermeneutical method is called dispensationalism.” Donald Wagner, Evangelicals and Israel: Theological Roots of a Political Alliance, pg. 2.

phipps

Star
What is the meaning of Dispensationalism in the Bible.

In the Bible the word "dispensation" never refers to a period of time. The Greek word for “dispensation” is oikonomia. Its meaning is "a stewardship," "the act of dispensing," "an administration." Here are the four New Testament texts in which the word "dispensation" is found:

1 Corinthians 9:17
"For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship."

Ephesians 1:10
"that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him."

Ephesians 3:2
"if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you"

Colossians 1:25
"of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God,"

Therefore the dispensation that was given to Paul is certainly not an epoch or period of a type of ministration to save people different to other epochs, Paul is simply given an administration (oikonomia) to preach the Gospel, in other words, he is to administer the Gospel to people. 1 Corinthians 9:16-18.

phipps

Star
Darby 's doctrine divided world history into seven dispensations. These are periods during which God has worked in different ways to save mankind. This is not Biblical at all. The scriptures do not divide world history up into seven dispensations or periods.

Seven So-Called Dispensations
The Scofield Bible divides the history of the world into periods of time, known as "dispensations":

(I) Innocence - This is the period of time, or dispensation, in the Garden of Eden. During this time mankind was responsible to obey Gods commands in childlike innocence. It was through obedience that they maintained their relationship with God.

(2) Conscience - This is the dispensation from the Edenic expulsion until the flood (approximately 1600 years). During this time men follow their conscience in order to do right and the end result is the need for God to destroy the world with a flood.

(3) Human Government - This is the post-diluvian period from the re-entry of Noah’s family into the world until the tower of Babel was built (approximately 320 years). This is also the time in which the Noahic Covenant was instituted.

(4) Promise - This is the period from God”s call to Abraham, continued through the patriarchal age, and ended at about the time of the Exodus (about 430 years). During this dispensation, God developed the nation of Israel as a partial fulfillment of His promise to Abraham (Abrahamic Covenant) that his descendants would be as the stars of the sky.

(5) Law- This is the period of time from the Exodus up until the death of Jesus (approximately 1500 years). This dispensation is basically the period of time in which the Mosaic Covenant was in effect (followed by the Davidic Covenant). During this time God dealt with the descendants of Abraham (Israel) via the law.

(6) Grace - This is the period of time from the death of Jesus up until the rapture of the church. After the rapture, a period of seven years of tribulation will commence on the earth in which God pours out His judgments. Those who were not raptured will have a second opportunity to place their faith in Christ and be saved when He returns again.

(7) Kingdom - This period of time begins with Christ’s literal return to earth and will last a millennium (1000 years). It will end with the final judgment of Satan and all who have rejected Christ, even with the second chance of the seven-year tribulation.

Last edited:
I'll add this blog as it references the occult roots of Dispensationalism:

Wolves in sheep's clothing: false prophets and bible teachers in the last days

I think the first comment in the blog sums it up nicely:

"colin17 January 2017 at 07:02
Dispensationalism is thoroughly unbiblical, it separates the Church of Christ into two distinct people modes of salvation; OT believers are saved by keeping the law, NT believers by grace.
The law was only ever a "schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ" Galatians 3.24-25. The Bible unequivocally teaches that the combined OT and NT Church is His bride and His body. The Old Testament Church; the vast majority whom were Jews, and the New Testament Church; the vast majority whom are Gentiles. Did the apostle Paul think he was separated from his OT brethren? Not for one minute, Romans 9.3-4!
This pre-tribulation (any-moment) rapture that is not taught anywhere in Scripture, you might say is going right down to the wire! So when it does eventually happen, it WILL be indistinguishable from the Second Advent (for they are the one and the SAME event).
As for the minutiae of what happens in the interim period up until the grand apocalyptic climax, God only knows.
It is my opinion that many who are led astray by pre-tribulationism could end up worshipping the Antichrist, for they don't believe they will be around to see him?
I believe that there is a consequence to following false teachers/doctrines, could it ever be otherwise?
God bless."

phipps

Star
I used to wonder why Christians here would say things like we do not have to obey the law and Jesus did away with it, they agree with once saved always saved, they are Zionists, they believe in the rapture etc when all that and more is contradictory to what the Bible teaches. It all made sense after I found out that their doctrine stems from dispensationalism.

I didn't know much about it so I decided to find out more and was shocked at how much of it is false and contradicts the Word of God. I was shocked at how the Bible is used incorrectly to explain this false doctrine.

Dispensationalism destroys the unity of Scripture. First, it destroys the unity between the Old and New Testaments instead of seeing it as a single Book with a progressive unfolding of the divine plan. Second, it teaches that Grace is a temporary break that allows a few "Gentiles" a window of opportunity to be saved apart from animal sacrifices. Third, it reverts back to Judaism and to a very Jewish Kingdom in which God has preferential treatment of certain people based upon either their genealogy or their religion.

Dispensationalism has established the mind-set that Jews are saved by the law, while the "Gentiles" are saved by grace. It teaches that it is better for Jews to accept Christ but it is not necessary for them to do so. They will be saved whether they accept Christ or not. For this reason, many Christians are shutting down their missions to the Jews, saying that it is unnecessary to preach Christ to them.

The Word of God is an acceptable casualty to dispensationalism. But for those of us who actually believe the Bible and who are not blinded by Zionist Judaism, we believe that Jews have to repent and be saved in the same manner as the rest of us.

We believe with Peter that there is only One name under heaven by which we must all be saved (Acts 4:12).

We believe with Peter again when he said, "In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him" (Acts 10:34-35).

What is dispensationalism? And where did it originate?

Dispensationalism. A method of biblical interpretation first systematically formulated in the 19th. Century by John Nelson Darby (1800-1882), dynamic leader of the Plymouth Brethren... Darby developed an elaborate philosophy of history based on biblical prophecy. He divided all history into separate eras or dispensations,... each of which contained a different order by which God worked out his redemptive plan.” J. D. Douglas, editor, New 20th.—Century Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, pg. 266.

“According to Darby, Christians must interpret history in light of seven epochs or “dispensations,” each of which reflects a particular manner in which God deals with humanity. For example, we currently live under the dispensation of “Grace,” whereby people are judged according to their personal relationship with Jesus Christ. This hermeneutical method is called dispensationalism.” Donald Wagner, Evangelicals and Israel: Theological Roots of a Political Alliance, pg. 2.

Meanwhile
Jesus:
loads of people will believe in me, they'll go as far as to prophecy in my name, work miracles, exorcise demons (ie they'll be hardcore xtian, not just regular xtian) and yet, i won't give a single shit about them. I won't know them personally because they won't have any spiritual connection to me.

sounds like Grace to me.

Michi

Established
Matthew 7:21-23

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’”

It wouldn’t be heaven if it was filled with unrepentant adulterers, converters, thieves, and idolaters who think it’s okay to follow their passions because Jesus is so nice and they are so special. It would be this world all over again. Nothing to aspire to, you are perfect. Same old same old.

The Agrarian

Veteran
Dispensationalism, when you dig really deep into it, falsely claims the establishment of the New Testament church was a "Plan B" and that national/ethnic Jews are saved by something other than the atonement of Jesus Christ upon the cross.

Tl;dr... its putting the State of Israel on a higher pedestal than every other people despite which is blasphemy.

elsbet

Superstar
Matthew 7:21-23

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’”

It wouldn’t be heaven if it was filled with unrepentant adulterers, converters, thieves, and idolaters who think it’s okay to follow their passions because Jesus is so nice and they are so special. It would be this world all over again. Nothing to aspire to, you are perfect. Same old same old.
What is a "converter"... ?

phipps

Star
I can't discuss all seven supposed dispensations, but some stand out more than others. One of the worst deceptions of dispensationalism is Zionism. I have posted threads on, True Israel, the heavenly temple and What does it mean, "God is no respecter of persons"? So I won't be posting much on Zionism but here is the gist of what I posted in those threads and others.

Biblically God created and chose Israel for a purpose. It was not because they were deserving of the high honour and privilege the Lord bestowed upon them. The purpose Israel was chosen for is the redemption of all humanity. It was always God's plan from the beginning after sin came into this world for the whole world to be reconciled to Him. God made a covenant with Abraham and his descendants in order to preserve the knowledge of God through His people and to bring about the redemption of humanity (Psalm 67:2). That was both a privilege and a huge responsibility to be bestowed upon a people.

The Israelites were supposed to live and walk according to God's plan. They were supposed to be the vehicle by which this redemption was to be made known to the whole world. A lot of Gentiles were supposed to become part of Israel. In the Old Testament there were Gentiles who became part of Israel. We read about some of them in Jesus' genealogy in Matthew 1, and in other parts of the Bible. We read about others like Moses' wife Zipporah, Bathsheba's husband Uriah the Hittite, Ornan the Jebusite etc. Had Israel lived up to its full potential so many Gentiles would have joined Israel and become part of the fig tree (Israel/Jesus Christ) that bears good fruit. Under the Old Covenant though, anyone who joined Israel had to be circumcised physically.

Sadly Israel mainly saw their privilege and not their responsibility. They became proud and thought they were better than the Gentiles because God chose them even though they were told, "The LORD did not set His love on you nor choose you because you were more in number than any other people, for you were the least of all peoples” (Deuteronomy 7:7). So instead of Israel including others into their fold, they excluded them mainly.

In the New Covenant, the definition of a Jew changed. Paul gave the clearest statement in Romans 2:28-29, "For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God." Here Paul tells us God's definition of who a Jew is and who is not a Jew. Being a Jew in the New Covenant is not based on outward physical circumcision like in the Old Covenant. Its also not based on genealogy. It is based on circumcision of the heart and anyone (Jew or Gentile) who accepts Jesus as their personal Saviour and does His will, will get circumcised in the heart. That means they become a "new creature," the law is now written on the heart not just on tables of stone. The Prophet Jeremiah is quoted in Hebrews 8:10 when describing the New Covenant, "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people." When this happens, keeping the law springs from the heart and becomes a delight. This is the relationship that God has always wanted to have with His people.

Dispensationalists believe the Old Testament promises to Israel will be literally fulfilled at the end of time. They regard the establishment of the nation of Israel in 1948 as the beginning of the fulfilment of Old Testament prophecies dealing with the return of the Jews to their own land. They believe that the Temple will be rebuilt and animal sacrifices will be reinstituted and they base this on Old Testament prophetic statements such as Ezekiel 44, which prophesies in Old Testament terms, but which must be interpreted in the light of the New Testament. This is unbiblical and a very dangerous teaching.

The book of Hebrews 8:1-5 says, "Now this is the main point of the things we are saying: We have such a High Priest, who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, a Minister of the sanctuary and of the true tabernacle which the Lord erected, and not man. For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices. Therefore it is necessary that this One also have something to offer. For if He were on earth, He would not be a priest, since there are priests who offer the gifts according to the law; who serve the copy and shadow of the heavenly things, as Moses was divinely instructed when he was about to make the tabernacle. For He said, “See that you make all things according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.” The true Sanctuary or Temple is the heavenly one. The earthly sanctuary/Temple was a copy of the of the original heavenly one and was temporary. To rebuild an earthly Temple is to reject Jesus as our High Priest in the heavenly Temple. What He does in the heavenly Temple is very important (interceding on our behalf) and could only have happened after He died on the cross for our sins.

Dispensationalism may agree that Jesus is the Mediator of the New Covenant in His first coming, but it strongly suggests also that Jesus becomes the Mediator of the Old Covenant in His second coming. There is hardly a doctrine that is more detrimental to the foundations of Christianity than this. It overthrows virtually all that Jesus accomplished on the Cross. It reverses virtually every major change that took place under the New Covenant that is described in the book of Hebrew.

If this teaching were allowed to stand, the book of Hebrews would eventually be removed from the New Testament.

Its also important to note that the New Testament/Covenant does not teach anywhere that a land of promise was given to Israel. In fact the New Testament does not present Israel as a land of promise for Abraham and his descendants. There is no mention of land not even Romans 9-11. The New Testament focuses on a heavenly country, and the new kingdom. "But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them" (Hebrews 11:16).

Last edited:

Alanantic

Star
Every holy book in the world is a man-made doctrine...occasionally, some fragments seem inspired.

phipps

Star
Grace

Dispensationalists believe that before Christ, salvation came through the law, and now, after Christ, salvation is by Grace. Again this not Biblical at all. There is no age of Law or Grace in the Bible. Since sin entered this world all are obligated to keep the law of God. And there was salvation for those living before Christ so there was Grace too. In fact, Grace existed from the beginning and is even mentioned in Genesis 6:8 which was the time of Noah, who "found grace in the eyes of the LORD.”

The meaning of Grace in the Bible.

The Bible doesn't tell us what Grace is exactly but the meaning attached to it is that of abundant, saving love of God towards sinners as revealed from Christ. I like this description of Grace, "Grace is unmerited favour." All mankind has sinned and "fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). We know from Romans 6:23 that the penalty of sin is death. So to live under grace means that I was supposed to die but the Lord Jesus came along and said, "No, no, I'll die for him. I want him to live. I want to give him My strength, My unmerited favour or grace and help him to reach that pattern that I gave him in the beginning so that I can take him with my holy, happy people into My kingdom."

When we understand Grace, we understand that there was Grace since the fall of man. There has never been a time where God has never been a God of Grace. In 2 Peter 2:5, Noah is called a "preacher of righteousness." Righteousness comes by faith in Jesus Christ. The New Testament makes it quite clear that all salvation is through Christ Jesus. Hence, Christ is the Saviour of those that lived before the crucifixion too.

In the Old Covenant/Testament, the sacrificial system pointed to the coming death of the promised Messiah. The Gospel was presented in the form of typology—an enactment of God’s salvation plan using symbols.

The sacrificial lamb of the Jewish system represented Jesus, the innocent Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the guilty world. He abolishes even the record of our sins through His sacrifice and grants the repentant sinner eternal life in Him and through Him. The blood shed by the lamb represents the blood of Christ that would be shed. Paul writes, "without shedding of blood is no remission" (Hebrews 9:22).

Grace from the Beginning

The Bible teaches salvation through Christ from the time of the fall to the time of the Second Coming of Christ. The blood of the lamb, the first sacrificial animal saved Adam and Eve. When sin made Adam and Eve aware that they were naked, God Himself covered their nakedness with animal skins (Genesis 3), symbolising the righteousness that is available to all through Christ. The animal that gave its life represented the Lamb of God that would be slain for them. Since God Himself clothed them with these skins, representing the promise of righteousness restored, he must have explained to them the plan of salvation about the Messiah who would come to pay the price for sin so that they could regain eternal life.

There are many examples of Grace in the Old Testament like Noah (as mentioned above), Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, the Israelites, Rahab, David, Solomon etc. These people and more sinned and God forgave them. Grace in the Old Testament is unavoidable actually.

None of them, none of the people in the New Testament, me or you deserved/deserve Grace but because of Jesus' love for us He gave/gives it to us and He paid a very high price for it.

2 Timothy 1:9 says, "who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began."

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
No, no, I'll die for him. I want him to live. I want to give him My strength, My unmerited favour or grace and help him to reach that pattern that I gave him in the beginning so that I can take him with my holy, happy people into My kingdom.
These are still your words, correct... your interpretation? *

ROMANS 4:1-3
What then shall we say Abraham our father discovered according to the flesh?
For if Abraham was justified by works, he has ground of boasting, but not toward God.
For what does the Scripture say?
“And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him for righteousness.”

GENESIS 15:6
And Abram believed God, and it was counted to him for righteousness.

* I AM NOT A DISPENSATIONALIST

phipps

Star
These are still your words, correct... your interpretation? *

ROMANS 4:1-3
What then shall we say Abraham our father discovered according to the flesh?
For if Abraham was justified by works, he has ground of boasting, but not toward God.
For what does the Scripture say?
“And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him for righteousness.”

GENESIS 15:6
And Abram believed God, and it was counted to him for righteousness.

* I AM NOT A DISPENSATIONALIST

I'm sorry but I don't understand your point. Can you explain to me what you mean? Bear in mind I just talked about Grace and not everything involved with having Grace.

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
I'm sorry but I don't understand your point. Can you explain to me what you mean? Bear in mind I just talked about Grace and not everything involved with having Grace.
Sure.
You began the paragraph with this--

The Bible doesn't tell us what Grace is exactly...​

So you followed with a few explanations / examples, for clarity:

You quoted this definition-- appropriately, of course. I'm familiar with the explanation, it is biblically sound and I agree. No source needed... it is in the dictionary.
"Grace is unmerited favour."
Then, you posted the part above I highlighted, preceded by this:
So to live under grace means...​

Which implies a formal definition-- and you made a point to put it in quotation marks-- but there is no source.

Everything else is cited appropriately, so I'm wondering if this is your quote, your interpretation-- or someone else's, with whom you agree, but accidentally left off the citation.

* IF YOU CITED AND I JUST MISSED IT, MY APOLOGIES-- IT WAS EARLY WHEN I REPLIED.

phipps

Star
Sure.
You began the paragraph with this--

The Bible doesn't tell us what Grace is exactly...​

So you followed with a few explanations / examples, for clarity:

You quoted this definition-- appropriately, of course. I'm familiar with the explanation, it is biblically sound and I agree. No source needed... it is in the dictionary.
"Grace is unmerited favour."
Then, you posted the part above I highlighted, preceded by this:
So to live under grace means...​

Which implies a formal definition-- and you made a point to put it in quotation marks-- but there is no source.

Everything else is cited appropriately, so I'm wondering if this is your quote, your interpretation-- or someone else's, with whom you agree, but accidentally left off the citation.

* IF YOU CITED AND I JUST MISSED IT, MY APOLOGIES-- IT WAS EARLY WHEN I REPLIED.
When I put "No, no, I'll die for him. I want him to live. I want to give him My strength, My unmerited favour or grace and help him to reach that pattern that I gave him in the beginning so that I can take him with my holy, happy people into My kingdom" in quotation marks, it was meant to be what supposedly Jesus thinks about us and why we have His unmerited favour. Its not a formal description of Grace.

Can't quotation marks be used for one's thoughts?

elsbet

Superstar
When I put "No, no, I'll die for him. I want him to live. I want to give him My strength, My unmerited favour or grace and help him to reach that pattern that I gave him in the beginning so that I can take him with my holy, happy people into My kingdom" in quotation marks, it was meant to be what supposedly Jesus thinks about us and why we have His unmerited favour. Its not a formal description of Grace.

Can't quotation marks be used for one's thoughts?
They certainly can... and that's what I wanted to know--> if those were your thoughts or someone else's, whose explanation you favored. If it was the latter, I was going to google the author.

Thank you!

phipps

Star
They certainly can... and that's what I wanted to know--> if those were your thoughts or someone else's, whose explanation you favored. If it was the latter, I was going to google the author.

Thank you!
They are not my thoughts and I was careful not to say they were. That sentence is put in quotation marks in the transcript of Joe Crews' (that is his name) sermon. Here is the link to the sermon.