Different versions of the Bible

DublinMart

Rookie
I've recently decided that rather than just read about the bible, I'd really like to study scripture properly, at least a little each day. I own a copy of the King James version, but am well aware there seem to be many different versions.

I just wanted to ask other forum users their opinion on which version they would recommend for a beginner, I mean I've been trying to be a follower of Christ for a few years now (but not as part of any organised religion, am not a churchgoer and don't want to be), and learnt a lot, but never sat down properly and actually thought, ok Mart, instead of just reading a million articles online, why don't you actually start to reseach yourself! I guess I am lazy in that respect

Any feedback would be really appreciated

elsbet

Superstar
Just get in the game and start reading. Literally all versions are available online. :)

Genesis 1

Let me shine a light though on what's supposed to happen here-- 10 pages of What Bible Version is Best for a Noob, distracting you from ever getting started.

Be aware that there's an Enemy that would really prefer you stay blind.. js.

You could start in Psalms, but whatever works.. the hunger should grab you quickly enough. :)

DublinMart

Rookie
Just get in the game and start reading. Literally all versions are available online. :)

Genesis 1

Let me shine a light though on what's supposed to happen here-- 10 pages of What Bible Version is Best for a Noob, distracting you from ever getting started.

Be aware that there's an Enemy that would really prefer you stay blind.. js.

You could start in Psalms, but whatever works.. the hunger should grab you quickly enough. :)
Thankyou so much Elsbet

Camidria

Veteran
Hi, I agree with the others you can really read any version as God will speak to your heart through all of them. You can also perhaps install YouVersion on your phone and choose a Bible Plan on the App, I chose a plan that included the whole Bible.
I would also pray about it to ask the Lord if you should start in the New Testament or at Genesis, when you feel that you want to learn a bit more about the Bible versions here is a great video explaining it all to you and also explaining how incredible the Word of God is:

As a quick guide - The King James is a great bible but a bit difficult sometimes to understand
The NET is a good version to read and easier to understand,
The NIV NLT ASV etc is translations that are easy to understand but sometimes they have a little meatiness going missing - although God can still use these Bible's to speak to anyone.
The Amplified I like the best as it explains in brackets some of the words like when the Bible uses the word "Love" in the brackets it will say if it's friendship Love, or what kind of love it's referring to in that scripture.

Hope this helps!!

Kung Fu

Superstar
I've recently decided that rather than just read about the bible, I'd really like to study scripture properly, at least a little each day. I own a copy of the King James version, but am well aware there seem to be many different versions.

I just wanted to ask other forum users their opinion on which version they would recommend for a beginner, I mean I've been trying to be a follower of Christ for a few years now (but not as part of any organised religion, am not a churchgoer and don't want to be), and learnt a lot, but never sat down properly and actually thought, ok Mart, instead of just reading a million articles online, why don't you actually start to reseach yourself! I guess I am lazy in that respect

Any feedback would be really appreciated
If you have to ask yourself and think about what version to read logic should dictate to you that perhaps there's something wrong here.

Last edited:

floss

Star
brother, more important than reading the Bible. You gotta get saved first and be filled with God spirits before you can deeply understand his scriptures, or else you might fall into false doctrines like muslims, mystic christian, gnosis christian, new ager...etc

God's scriptures are spirits and if you don't have His Holy Spirit to guide you, the chances of you falling into false doctrines is like... 100%

Accept the Gospel and get saved first before reading his scriptures.

I recommended the KJB as I believed that is the purest scriptures from God.

the Thee Thou and Ye are important for context. God Blessed you brother.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Accept the Gospel and get saved first before reading his scriptures.

I recommended the KJB as I believed that is the purest scriptures from God.
Exactly, get saved first so no matter what you do afterwards will matter because you're saved. If I wasn't such a logical and rational individual and didn't care about my works and actions I definitely would also favour your brand of backwards religiosity.

floss

Star
@DublinMart

The reason why many left Christianity is because they aren't saved and trying to read scriptures without the Holy Spirit to guide them. They fall into false doctrines, thus lost faith and leave. It is very important to be filled with the Holy Spirit or else you will be stirred away from His doctrines. Get saved and a spiritual rebirth into the God's family, become HIS children and then he will teach you. When you're not HIS children, someone else is teaching you and that is very dangerous.

John 16:13King James Version (KJV)
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

DublinMart

Rookie
@DublinMart

The reason why many left Christianity is because they aren't saved and trying to read scriptures without the Holy Spirit to guide them. They fall into false doctrines, thus lost faith and leave. It is very important to be filled with the Holy Spirit or else you will be stirred away from His doctrines. Get saved and a spiritual rebirth into the God's family, become HIS children and then he will teach you. When you're not HIS children, someone else is teaching you and that is very dangerous.

John 16:13King James Version (KJV)
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Thanks Floss, I appreciate it, am well aware that asking for guidance from the Holy Spirit is essential and will continue to do so

Kung Fu

Superstar
Was only asking for opinions and advice, not for an argument about the rights and wrongs of what my beliefs are
Shouldn't it be an argument considering where you might spend your eternal life? I would think it be important to get to the truth down right considering that your eternal life after this temporary life is on the line.

DublinMart

Rookie
Shouldn't it be an argument considering where you might spend your eternal life? I would think it be important to get to the truth down right considering that your eternal life after this temporary life is on the line.
I wasn't asking for opinions on eternal life, merely which version of the Bible others might recommend or advise on

Kung Fu

Superstar
I wasn't asking for opinions on eternal life, merely which version of the Bible others might recommend or advise on
You want to be a follower of Christ then reading scripture and be a follower of him all comes down to eternal life one or the other. Anyways, have fun navigating through which Bible you want to read.

Daciple

Star
I recommend KJV, and as person new to reading the Word I highly suggest John first, it gives the best Christology and teaches the fundamentals of Christianity in the simplest way. Then the other 3 Gospels in whatever order, then Acts to understand the History of how Christianity started. In the Old Testament, Proverbs, and Psalms are my favorite. I would actually suggest starting in Genesis because the Bible actually has a chronological time line, so when you understand the events prior it makes the rest of the text become more Alive.

I would also recommend reading through the New Testament before diving into the Old, because one ought to look at the Old Testament in light of the New, as the Old Testament is all about Jesus. If you have any questions feel free to ask, Id love to discussion the Bible at anytime with those truly seeking to understand it.

DublinMart

Rookie
I recommend KJV, and as person new to reading the Word I highly suggest John first, it gives the best Christology and teaches the fundamentals of Christianity in the simplest way. Then the other 3 Gospels in whatever order, then Acts to understand the History of how Christianity started. In the Old Testament, Proverbs, and Psalms are my favorite. I would actually suggest starting in Genesis because the Bible actually has a chronological time line, so when you understand the events prior it makes the rest of the text become more Alive.

I would also recommend reading through the New Testament before diving into the Old, because one ought to look at the Old Testament in light of the New, as the Old Testament is all about Jesus. If you have any questions feel free to ask, Id love to discussion the Bible at anytime with those truly seeking to understand it.

Thankyou so much