Did Jesus Christ give christians license to sin ?

Damien50

Star
@Kung Fu

I know you are just trying to harass me by continuing to quote me over and over again. That is what you do. That is your true character. It is like listening to the man who was living in the tombs (Mark 5:1-20).

Nevertheless, you are quoting me in context. So maybe you are having some reading comprehension issues with what I said. I will try to elaborate one time, because in general, talking to you is like casting pearls before swine.

Let's bold the part that requires reading comprehension to understand.

I said, "You cannot be born again and continue to sin. There is not such thing as a person who continue committing adultery after becoming saved. It would make you miserable. If is like having an allergic reaction to sin when you are sealed with the Holy Spirit."

So if we use our reading comprehension to integrate the two sentences together because it is not good writing technique to put both sentences into one long, run-on sentence. The average person should be able to see that what I am saying is that continuing to sin after being sealed with the Holy Spirit will make you miserable.

It is because of this allergic reaction you will experience when the Holy Spirit circumcises your heart that you cannot continue sinning as though sin were insignificant.

I reused several words. However, I used the word Holy Spirit so that might hinder your reading comprehension. Either way, explaining this further is like throwing pearls before swine, so I will not be doing this.

You may think you are making me look bad or calling me out, but you are really only making yourself look like you are possessed by a demon. Have fun with that and have a nice day.
Out of curiosity, are there verses related to being miserable due to sinning whilst saved?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I get that but when I read that parable I wouldn't equate it to salvation and being miserable in sin.
Ok then, this one is a bit harder, but I think it has the sense of misery for the one who doesn't abide in Jesus...

John 14

4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7

Mixture of singular and plural here indicate the following interpretation to me...

He is cast forth as a branch and is withered (sounds like a miserable experience!)

The fruit of this out of fellowship believers life is gathered up and burned, being worthless.

Last edited:

Daciple

Star
I get that but when I read that parable I wouldn't equate it to salvation and being miserable in sin.
I surely do, what is one of the first things it says:

Luke 15:12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.

He received his inheritance, I believe that is showing this is a saved person. Of course one can interpret it differently if they choose but it says the son received his inheritance. Then it speaks of how he lived afterwards saying:

there wasted his substance with riotous living.

So it was wasted in riotous living, sounds like sin to me. And then what does the son realize?

Luke 15:17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

So the son realized that he could go back to the Father tell him He sinned and ask for forgiveness.

To me this is definitely about someone who was given Salvation, wasted it from Sin, comes to find himself in a pig pen, repents and comes back to the Father...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

Luke 15:12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.

He received his inheritance, I believe that is showing this is a saved person. Of course one can interpret it differently if they choose but it says the son received his inheritance. Then it speaks of how he lived afterwards saying:

So it was wasted in riotous living, sounds like sin to me. And then what does the son realize?

Luke 15:17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

So the son realized that he could go back to the Father tell him He sinned and ask for forgiveness.

To me this is definitely about someone who was given Salvation, wasted it from Sin, comes to find himself in a pig pen, repents and comes back to the Father...
superman3.jpg

I remember Superman in the seedy bar drinking his shots. He was still the same person, but living far at a level less than he was born to be (and he wasn't helping anyone!) - once upon a time the Holy Spirit convicted me of this. I took the point (eventually!).

Damien50

Star

Luke 15:13-14 KJV
And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living. [14] And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.

I see those two versus and think that the famine represented there being no presence of God not equating it to a born again Christian being miserable in sin. I'm not saying that sinning won't make one miserable but that it isn't exclusive to the saved as if Jesus tickles the uvula whenever someone sins. Everyone is going to sin whether saved or not and it grieves everyone but no one just stops because they are saved.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Luke 15:13-14 KJV
And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living. [14] And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.

I see those two versus and think that the famine represented there being no presence of God not equating it to a born again Christian being miserable in sin. I'm not saying that sinning won't make one miserable but that it isn't exclusive to the saved as if Jesus tickles the uvula whenever someone sins. Everyone is going to sin whether saved or not and it grieves everyone but no one just stops because they are saved.
Paul exhorts us to count ourselves dead to sin because if what we have become, i.e. new creations. When we sin, we grieve the Holy Spirit. If we are born again, this in turn will make us sorrowful...

Damien50

Star
Paul exhorts us to count ourselves dead to sin because if what we have become, i.e. new creations. When we sin, we grieve the Holy Spirit. If we are born again, this in turn will make us sorrowful...
But it's not exclusive to being saved. That guilt was present in the old Testament, it isn't new and isn't something different due to salvation.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
But it's not exclusive to being saved. That guilt was present in the old Testament, it isn't new and isn't something different due to salvation.
I agree that anyone can feel guilty for wrongdoing. If you are born again, you have that conviction from not only from your own conscience, but from the Holy Spirit who you grieve when you live in a way that is contrary to his wishes for you.

A Christian is this state will soon feel the "heavens are like brass" and if they have experienced peace and joy of close communion with the Lord, the absence of it feels very empty indeed.

Damien50

Star
I agree that anyone can feel guilty for wrongdoing. If you are born again, you have that conviction from not only from your own conscience, but from the Holy Spirit who you grieve when you live in a way that is contrary to his wishes for you.

A Christian is this state will soon feel the "heavens are like brass" and if they have experienced peace and joy of close communion with the Lord, the absence of it feels very empty indeed.
I haven't lived long enough so if you wouldn't mind providing verses to help me in my learning. Please.

Not purposely being adversarial just trying to understand where the root thought stemmed from.

X-Maverick

Established
Was King Saul offered salvation through Jesus Christ? ;)
Was anyone in the Old Testament offered salvation through Jesus Christ? What kind of question is that? Also, are some of you unaware that many in the Bible were heinous sinners? Peter denying Jesus three times would have every Christian in the world today saying he'd be damned, yet is he? Samson committed suicide, pretty much. King David not only committed adultery, but had the husband of the woman he did it with killed in an effort to hide it. His son, King Solomon, a man God loved and bestowed untold riches and wisdom to fell to witchcraft. Was he damned? The answer to all of these is no!

How many of you would dare put yourselves above these men? Are you somehow better than them? You'd have to be, if you stopped sinning all on your own.

Todd

Star
Beloved, if our heart may not condemn us, we have boldness toward God,
and whatever we may ask, we receive from Him, because His commands we keep, and the things pleasing before Him we do,
and this is His command, that we may believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and may love one another, even as He did give command to us, and he who is keeping His commands, in Him he doth remain, and He in him; and in this we know that He doth remain in us, from the Spirit that He gave us.
Every one who is believing that Jesus is the Christ, of God he hath been begotten, and every one who is loving Him who did beget, doth love also him who is begotten of Him:
in this we know that we love the children of God, when we may love God, and His commands may keep;
for this is the love of God, that His commands we may keep, and His commands are not burdensome;
because every one who is begotten of God doth overcome the world, and this is the victory that did overcome the world -- our faith;

Lisa

Superstar
Was anyone in the Old Testament offered salvation through Jesus Christ? What kind of question is that? Also, are some of you unaware that many in the Bible were heinous sinners? Peter denying Jesus three times would have every Christian in the world today saying he'd be damned, yet is he? Samson committed suicide, pretty much. King David not only committed adultery, but had the husband of the woman he did it with killed in an effort to hide it. His son, King Solomon, a man God loved and bestowed untold riches and wisdom to fell to witchcraft. Was he damned? The answer to all of these is no!

How many of you would dare put yourselves above these men? Are you somehow better than them? You'd have to be, if you stopped sinning all on your own.
Floss was of the opinion that King Saul was saved or something....you would have to ask him why. If you move down some in the posts he gives a link to got questions of why he believes this. I didn’t have time yet to look at it.

Truth is, we don’t know the answer to the questions you pose about Samson, King David or Solomon do we? Is it in the Bible that they all weren’t damned?

I never implied, and I don’t think the verses that I have shared with people implies that one sin and your done with God. I think the falling away happens over time, well in my mind. However, I think there could be certain situations like the rapture not happening to you before the great trib, that may make people fall away. But, idk for sure about it all.

I just advocate for Christian’s being able to fall away from the faith because the Bible says that. My belief has nothing to do with thinking I’m better than anyone else or have stopped sinning...2Timothy 4:1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in the later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons.
I don’t know how anyone could say that we are once saved always saved after that, honestly...

Lisa

Superstar
@floss
I finally read your link about King Saul, let me ask you, is everyone mentioned in the Bible going to heaven? Do you think some wouldn’t be? Because there are going to be people before the white throne in judgement. The last we see of Saul, his fate did not look good for him....

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Thanks. It reminded of the feeling I had that had me reject Islam and when I came back I wasn't where I originally left but I typically don't know where I'm at too begin with.
Fortunately for me (when I got lost) my faith was not in a system but in a person. In the end, perhaps the best story is the Parable of the Lost Sheep. They all belonged to the Lord, He left the ninety-nine and went after the one that was lost. When he found it in a sorry state he picked it up,and he carried it home.

God bless you, Damien

Lisa

Superstar
I could provide a list of scriptures to form a case for prosperity word/faith theology.

E.g. http://www.kcm.org/real-help/finances/apply/18-bible-verses-about-wealth-and-prosperity

I could make a great case for them by taking them in exclusion and out of context. I don't believe a truly born again Christian can lose their salvation.

On a note of standing back a bit, it looks to me like students arguing over whether a rubbish final grade gets them thrown off the course or just provided with a bare pass.
How could anyone get 2 Timothy 4:1 out of context?
But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons.

Does anyone who falls away from the faith really expect to go to heaven?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
How could anyone get 2 Timothy 4:1 out of context?
But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons.

Does anyone who falls away from the faith really expect to go to heaven?
Lisa,

I had a long and similar conversation with Scott months ago. In the end, though, Arminianism (which stresses the present tense "abiding") and Calvinism (which focusses on past and future) both miss the balance that there are past, present and future elements to our salvation. Only when you take all three together does it make clear sense. I can be holy today because Jesus died for me and because there was a point that I believed on Him. I can fight sin today because my destination is eternity in His presence and that my standing before the Father is based on the shed blood of my Lord, not on my own works, "lest I boast".

This is why taking one verse from one place and giving weight only to the present tense scriptures takes you to Arminianism - it's not that perseverance and day to day holiness don't have a vital part to play, but they sit in the context of the Lamb, slain from the foundation of the world,

Revelation 13

8And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

and the fact that right now, in the Spirit, we are seated in heavenly places with Christ.

Ephesians 2

6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: 7That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in hiskindness toward us through Christ Jesus.