Did Jesus burn in hell for three days?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I'd rather keep my 'infilling of the holy spirit' and my three actual encounters off the boards.
When people ask why I believe in God ... it's because of personal experience.
God is real. God is HUGE and POWERFUL and more than I can put into words.
And when He 'speaks' ... you instantly recognize Him. No question. You've known Him forever.
That is why I believe. Not because of what a book commands, but because of HIM.
That's all I'm going to say about it. No more personal stuff .... back to the topic.
I do get the whole “pearls before swine” thing and I also identify with certain of your experiences of God. I have had a small number of life changing encounters with the Lord which I could not fully describe but which have stayed with me even 30 years later.

Regarding the other stuff, you don’t need to believe everything in the Bible to be born again, you just need enough to get you from earth to heaven! On the other stuff, I could discuss it with you some time if you wanted as your understanding of the early books of the Bible was where I started my own investigations a while ago ;-)

God bless.

DUSTY

Established
, you don’t need to believe everything in the Bible to be born again, you just need enough to get you from earth to heaven!
by that definition I would count. But I don't care for the title because of the connections to fundamentalists who, most often, are rather hateful. Sorry ...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
by that definition I would count. But I don't care for the title because of the connections to fundamentalists who, most often, are rather hateful. Sorry ...
I walked away from the church I once attended over a heavy handed fundraising appeal that had nothing to do with the gospel... in short, I am not without empathy ;-)

My point in all this is you are not a born again believer, Therefore you hinder weak believers. Especially since you said you were thankful you were not a born again believer. Your advice is of no avail to the believer.
It's rather sad that fundamentalist born agains are so weak that they can't handle discussion on different aspects of religion and spirituality. Their arrogance in their personal beliefs are a hinderance, not a strength. Many have missed the entire reason Jesus came in the first place.[/QUOTE]
You are of this world, and that is all you know. The faith and Gospel is not debatable...it is a constant. Contending for the faith is not arrogance. The arrogance is on your side thinking you know more than God when you do not know Him at all. This is not sarcasm...it is just the Truth. The weakness of God is stronger than you Dusty.

DUSTY

Established
You are of this world, and that is all you know.

^^ And that, in a nut shell, is the problem with fundamentalists. Spiritual arrogance and judgmentalism.
Anyone who doesn't believe in God exactly as they do are lost etc etc etc.
Good luck with that. I thank GOD that I'm not counted among your number.

A.J.

Star
Nah..

“Perhaps you will remember that the Apostle’s Creed was used to oppose the docetic teaching of Marcion and others like him. The docetists believed that matter was bad and therefore Jesus only seemed to have a material body. Therefore, as I mentioned in the introduction to this series, in order to oppose this false teaching the church made additions to the Creed, then called the Roman Symbol. Thus, it was in response to the error of the docetists that the phrase was added to the creed.

But there is something that we need to keep in mind. The original phrase in the Roman Symbol did not say, “He descended into hell.” It said that Christ descended into the nether world, or Sheol, that is, the grave. The whole point of the addition was to affirm not Christ’s descent into hell but Christ’s physical death. In other words, the physical death of Christ needed to be emphasized in the face of docetists who were saying that Christ didn’t have a body that could die. In fact, some second century versions of the Roman symbol substituted “dead” for “descended to the netherworld.” Clearly the creed was formed and used to battle the docetists who denied the humanity of Christ. Consequently, this phrase, now rendered “descended into hell” was originally meant to teach of the bodily death of Christ. ....”

https://www.theaquilareport.com/the-apostles-creed-he-descended-into-hell/

^^ And that, in a nut shell, is the problem with fundamentalists. Spiritual arrogance and judgmentalism.
Anyone who doesn't believe in God exactly as they do are lost etc etc etc.
Good luck with that. I thank GOD that I'm not counted among your number.
You do not realize the consequences of your statement. Your pride in your self is the original sin of Satan and all fallen men. I was only trying to keep you from leading people astray. If you knew God, then you would have understood what we had said. I my self am nothing and do not speak on my own. Everything I said is in Scripture.

DUSTY

Established
You do not realize the consequences of your statement. Your pride in your self is the original sin of Satan and all fallen men. I was only trying to keep you from leading people astray. If you knew God, then you would have understood what we had said. I my self am nothing and do not speak on my own. Everything I said is in Scripture.
I know God rather well and I don't 'have pride in myself' to the point of sin. The problem with fundamentalists is, when it comes to scripture, that they turn their brains off and their self righteousness on. They turn more people off to God than anything else. I've ran into fundamentalists who claim that christians will go to hell if they don't believe Noahs Ark or the Tower of Babel actually literally happened as the bible says. Even though we know for a fact neither did. The box many of them put people in is truly absurd.

My statements stand. Jesus was in the tomb 36 hours - a Jewish idiom of three days because it touched on three days. He went to the dead .. meaning the Jewish belief of SHEOL - which matches the descriptions of Near Death Experiences. A place of darkness and peace. That's the Christian belief that has been handed down for 2,000 years .. jesus 'went to the dead'.

Last edited:

Todd

Star
I know God rather well and I don't 'have pride in myself' to the point of sin. The problem with fundamentalists is, when it comes to scripture, that they turn their brains off and their self righteousness on. They turn more people off to God than anything else. I've ran into fundamentalists who claim that christians will go to hell if they don't believe Noahs Ark or the Tower of Babel actually literally happened as the bible says. Even though we know for a fact neither did. The box many of them put people in is truly absurd.

My statements stand. Jesus was in the tomb 36 hours - a Jewish idiom of three days because it touched on three days. He went to the dead .. meaning the Jewish belief of SHEOL - which matches the descriptions of Near Death Experiences. A place of darkness and peace. That's the Christian belief that has been handed down for 2,000 years .. jesus 'went to the dead'.
Although I disagree with your 36 hour theory (as Jesus himself specifically said 3 days and 3 nights which is more than 36 hours) everything else about this post is dead on.

Fundamentalist thinking is that if one believes church doctrine correctly they don't need to actually follow Jesus' teaching. They can continue in sin and ignore the needs of their neighbors, but because they believe the "correct" doctrine Jesus is going to receive them as the bride of Christ. At the same time they believe someone who actually makes and effort to live a sinless lifestyle and truly loves their neighbor as themselves and actually makes an effort to live what Jesus taught, but doesn't "see" the same doctrine in the bible that they do, is damned to suffer eternal torment. And then they go on to defend eternal torment by saying the "justice" of God is the reason why he must sadistically torture un-believers for eternity. It is truly absurd!

DUSTY

Established
Although I disagree with your 36 hour theory (as Jesus himself specifically said 3 days and 3 nights which is more than 36 hours) ...
In the end it really doesn't matter if we think it was a Wednesday or a Thursday or a Friday that He died. The point is ... He died. We'll find out the nit picky details in the afterlife. It's irrelevant to salvation if we think He died on a Wednesday or a Thursday or Friday. Sometimes people (not you, just people in general) get legalistic and wrapped in the seaweed so they drown instead of understanding what the event was all about.

Lisa

Superstar
In the end it really doesn't matter if we think it was a Wednesday or a Thursday or a Friday that He died. The point is ... He died. We'll find out the nit picky details in the afterlife. It's irrelevant to salvation if we think He died on a Wednesday or a Thursday or Friday. Sometimes people (not you, just people in general) get legalistic and wrapped in the seaweed so they drown instead of understanding what the event was all about.
Isn’t the point, He died and rose again?

Todd

Star
Agreed!

DUSTY

Established
Isn’t the point, He died and rose again?
Yep. And that pretty much is all that matters. People calling others names, or saying they are evil or not a true believer or whatever, because they think he died on a Wednesday or a Thursday or a Friday ... that's absurd and goes against the whole reason Jesus was here to begin with.

I'm not a fundamentalist! The question is...does God know you. I see now profit in continuing to post. Your idea of God is nothing like the God that saved me....we will know at the judgment.