Did Jesus burn in hell for three days?

Thunderian

Superstar
I kicked this off from another thread, because I think it's a good topic for discussion.

We know Christ died and was buried for 3 days & nights before His bodily resurrection, so where do you suppose His soul went?

The Biblical evidence is Hell.

Also, remember that Jonah spent 3 days & nights trapped in the belly of the fish, which was a foreshadowing of Jesus being in the “belly” or center of the earth, which is where I believe Hell is currently located:

Jonah 2 (KJB) :
1 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly,

2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

3 For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.

4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.

5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.

6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

Acts 2: (KJB)

22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:

27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.”......Revelation 1:18 KJB

Jesus paid the FULL PENALTY for our sins, which is death & Hell.
The biggest problem that I have with the idea that Jesus went to hell after he died, to pay for our sins, is that it goes against the words that Jesus spoke right before he died.

When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

I don't see how that's ambiguous. Jesus didn't say, "It's almost finished." He said it was done. The price for our sin had been paid. With that in mind, any interpretation of any other scripture with a view that there was something else that still needed to be done is wrong. It must be.

The passage in Acts 2 translates the Greek word Hades as hell, but Hades doesn't mean the lake of fire. Hades means sheol, which is the abode of the dead. Before the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus, all the souls of the dead went to sheol, which was divided into two parts. The believers went to Abraham's bosom, and the unbelievers went to Hades proper. A good place to read about sheol is in Luke, where Jesus recounts the story of Lazarus and the rich man.

Before Jesus died, he told the thief who was crucified with him, "Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." This is a problem, if Jesus was really going to spend three days burning in hell for our sins. Either the thief was going to be burning along with him, or Jesus was going to end up somewhere else.

elsbet

Superstar
I kicked this off from another thread, because I think it's a good topic for discussion.

The biggest problem that I have with the idea that Jesus went to hell after he died, to pay for our sins, is that it goes against the words that Jesus spoke right before he died.

When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

I don't see how that's ambiguous. Jesus didn't say, "It's almost finished." He said it was done. The price for our sin had been paid. With that in mind, any interpretation of any other scripture with a view that there was something else that still needed to be done is wrong. It must be.

The passage in Acts 2 translates the Greek word Hades as hell, but Hades doesn't mean the lake of fire. Hades means sheol, which is the abode of the dead. Before the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus, all the souls of the dead went to sheol, which was divided into two parts. The believers went to Abraham's bosom, and the unbelievers went to Hades proper. A good place to read about sheol is in Luke, where Jesus recounts the story of Lazarus and the rich man.

Before Jesus died, he told the thief who was crucified with him, "Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." This is a problem, if Jesus was really going to spend three days burning in hell for our sins. Either the thief was going to be burning along with him, or Jesus was going to end up somewhere else.
It certainly was Finished.

He descended into Tartarus and preached (as in Preach!) to the 'souls' in prison (see Jude, 2 Peter)-- in other words, He informed them that the Genesis 6 endeavor failed.

For if God messengers who sinned did not spare, but with chains of thick gloom, having cast [them] down to Tartarus, did deliver [them] to judgment, having been reserved,​
and the old world did not spare, but the eighth person, Noah, of righteousness a preacher, did keep, a flood on the world of the impious having brought,​
and the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah having turned to ashes, with an overthrow did condemn, an example to those about to be impious having set [them]...​
:)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
As far as I can tell from my reading of the Bible, Hell, as in the Lake of Fire / Second Death is something yet to come. Sheol / Abraham’s Bosom were temporary places.

The joy and the horror around the fact that “in Adam all die, but in Christ all shall be made alive” is that “death” (as in a cessation of existence) does not appear to be an option. We will live forever, whether we plan to or not, either in the presence of God or eternally away from Him.

Choose wisely?!

“Now” is as good a day as any, and the only moment of decision any of us really have.

elsbet

Superstar
As far as I can tell from my reading of the Bible, Hell, as in the Lake of Fire / Second Death is something yet to come. Sheol / Abraham’s Bosom were temporary places.

The joy and the horror around the fact that “in Adam all die, but in Christ all shall be made alive” is that “death” (as in a cessation of existence) does not appear to be an option. We will live forever, whether we plan to or not, either in the presence of God or eternally away from Him.

Choose wisely?!

“Now” is as good a day as any, and the only moment of decision any of us really have.
Indeed, Red...

"Today, if you should hear His voice..."​

Serveto

Star

Sorry. It's unclear to me. Did @Claire Rousseau at any point either suggest or imply that Jesus burned in hell? I don't read that in her quoted statement. That he descended into hell and arose on the third day is standard, orthodox stuff -stuff of some versions of the Apostles' Creed. Though I was raised to recite that Creed, it was never stated that he was subject to the powers of hell, but, rather, that he descended into hell and arose as victor.

Of course I don't know what he meant when he said "it is finished," but clearly his experience continues beyond death by crucifixion. Otherwise, it seems to me, the religion based upon his life, death and resurrection, namely Christianity, would probably not exist.

Last edited:

Vytas

Star
I always thought that "it finished" is about pain , abuse and all other things he was subjected to as a human being going through terrible torture...So it's human emotion, relief...it finished.

elsbet

Superstar
I always thought that "it finished" is about pain , abuse and all other things he was subjected to as a human being going through terrible torture...So it's human emotion, relief...it finished.
I think that It is finished means He has done what He set out to do---> Provide the means (payment) to reconcile us to Himself. Sin created a (blood) debt, and served only to separate us from Him. He paid the debt... thus, It is finished.

EDIT... AND THE ENEMY IS DEFEATED.
EDIT, EDIT... IMO, ANYWAY.

:)

Last edited:

Vytas

Star
I understand that it might mean that, I just don't think it does...Just before that He said I thirst ,why nobody tries to found profound spiritual meaning there? He wasn't cheating ,he was fully human. What would you speak about in his condition ? And he didn't had auditory to speak to...given his last three days experiences, I think it's finished isn't long term...

I understand that it might mean that, I just don't think it does...Just before that He said I thirst ,why nobody tries to found profound spiritual meaning there? He wasn't cheating ,he was fully human. What would you speak about in his condition ? And he didn't had auditory to speak to...given his last three days experiences, I think it's finished isn't long term...
That’s just dumb! Elsbet summed it up perfectly, then you go and say some dumb thing like ‘I think it’s finished isn’t long term’. Why would you cast doubt on one of the most powerful and defining statements Jesus ever made! Why I ask you?

JoChris

Superstar
https://www.christianity.com/jesus/death-and-resurrection/last-words/thirsting-to-fulfill-prophecy.html

The Gospel isn’t just about Christ dying on the Cross...there’s much more than that: His virgin birth (deity), sinless life (made it possible to take on our sins), death on the Cross, AND His bodily resurrection (PROOF that God will likewise raise us who believe up to Heaven).

When Christ said, “It is finished”, He MUST have been referring to His humanly life on earth.

Think about it.....because without His bodily resurrection, it really wasn’t finished. He would have been still thought dead. That is why He showed Himself to so many people after His resurrection, and why so many believed after seeing & handling His risen body.

He stayed on this earth for 40 days after His resurrection to show people that He had indeed risen, and to fulfill prophecy that He would rise up to life again.

Without His resurrection, His purpose on earth would not be complete.

Thunderian

Superstar
Sorry. It's unclear to me. Did @Claire Rousseau at any point either suggest or imply that Jesus burned in hell? I don't read that in her quoted statement.
Her quoted statement was a reply to my comment in the other thread.

Anderson thinks that Jesus burned in hell for three days to pay for our sins.
Claire certainly could have clarified the point about whether Jesus Christ was burning or not in her reply, but as you can see, she did not.

That he descended into hell and arose on the third day is standard, orthodox stuff -stuff of some versions of the Apostles' Creed. Though I was raised to recite that Creed, it was never stated that he was subject to the powers of hell, but, rather, that he descended into hell and arose as victor.
That's not based on the Bible. Jesus did descend to Tartarus with a message for the spirits imprisoned there, but nowhere in the Bible is it written that Jesus spent three days in hell for our sins.

Of course I don't know what he meant when he said "it is finished," but clearly his experience continues beyond death by crucifixion. Otherwise, it seems to me, the religion based upon his life, death and resurrection, namely Christianity, would probably not exist.
When Jesus uttered the words, "It is finished," he meant that the full price for our sins had been paid. His death was the payment. That is the only view that's consistent with the rest of the Bible.
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Thunderian

Superstar
The Gospel isn’t just about Christ dying on the Cross...there’s much more than that: His virgin birth (deity), sinless life (made it possible to take on our sins), death on the Cross, AND His bodily resurrection (PROOF that God will likewise raise us who believe up to Heaven).

When Christ said, “It is finished”, He MUST have been referring to His humanly life on earth.
All of those things in his life proved that Jesus was the son of God, but only his death paid for our sins. That is what the Bible says. The word Jesus said that is translated in the King James Bible as "It is finished," means "Paid In Full".

Think about it.....because without His bodily resurrection, it really wasn’t finished. He would have been still thought dead. That is why He showed Himself to so many people after His resurrection, and why so many believed after seeing & handling His risen body.

He stayed on this earth for 40 days after His resurrection to show people that He had indeed risen, and to fulfill prophecy that He would rise up to life again.
His resurrection was proof that he had overcome sin and the grave, and that he was the perfect sacrifice, but it wasn't necessary to pay for our sins.

Without His resurrection, His purpose on earth would not be complete.
So it's his resurrection that saves us, and not his death? I always thought he came to die for our sins.

Even if "It is finished," is only referring to his life on earth, how does that mean that he went to hell for three days?

Why would Jesus say that he and the thief would be in paradise that day, when he knew he was on his way to hell?

And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Did the thief go to hell with him? For three days? After all, Jesus said that the thief would be with him, and you say that Jesus was on his way to hell. If that's the case, what kind of salvation is that for the thief?

Serveto

Star
Claire certainly could have clarified the point about whether Jesus Christ was burning or not in her reply, but as you can see, she did not.
I see. It was clear enough to me that she hadn't said he burned, but I did not realize that your thread title involved somebody named Anderson. I should have read the other thread in its entirety.
That he [Jesus] descended into hell and arose on the third day is standard, orthodox stuff -stuff of some versions of the Apostles' Creed. Though I was raised to recite that Creed, it was never stated that he was subject to the powers of hell, but, rather, that he descended into hell and arose as victor.
That's not based on the Bible. Jesus did descend to Tartarus with a message for the spirits imprisoned there, but nowhere in the Bible is it written that Jesus spent three days in hell for our sins.
I leave the argument of whether or not the Apostles' Creed is based on the Bible, but, apart from the difference between Tartarus and hell, and we could probably also add Hades and Sheol, the Creed, though there are different versions, does not say that "Jesus spent three days in hell for our sins" and neither did I. Technically, it says only that he descended into hell as part of his overall experience:

"... And in Jesus Christ his only son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead."

Anyway, I am out of this thread as a participant, though not necessarily a reader. Thank you for clarifying.

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
All of those things in his life proved that Jesus was the son of God, but only his death paid for our sins. That is what the Bible says. The word Jesus said that is translated in the King James Bible as "It is finished," means "Paid In Full".
This.

And to expand on the post from @Red Sky at Morning --

Tetelestai
5055. teleó
Strong's Concordance​
teleó: to bring to an end, complete, fulfill
Original Word: τελέω​
Part of Speech: Verb​
Transliteration: teleó​
Phonetic Spelling: (tel-eh'-o)​
Definition: to bring to an end, complete, fulfill
Usage: (a) I end, finish, (b) I fulfill, accomplish, (c) I pay.​
Cognate: 5055 teléō (from 5056 /télos, "consummation, completion") – properly, to complete (consummate), i.e. finish (qualitatively) the necessary process – with the results "rolling-over" to the next level (phase) of consummation. See 5056 (telos).​
[This root (tel-) means "reaching the end (aim)." It is well-illustrated with the old pirate's telescope, unfolding (extending out) one stage at a time to function at full-strength (capacity effectiveness).]​
***​

His resurrection was proof that he had overcome sin and the grave, and that he was the perfect sacrifice, but it wasn't necessary to pay for our sins.

So it's his resurrection that saves us, and not his death? I always thought he came to die for our sins.

Even if "It is finished," is only referring to his life on earth, how does that mean that he went to hell for three days?

Why would Jesus say that he and the thief would be in paradise that day, when he knew he was on his way to hell?

And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Did the thief go to hell with him? For three days? After all, Jesus said that the thief would be with him, and you say that Jesus was on his way to hell. If that's the case, what kind of salvation is that for the thief?

“Tartarus”??

That is found nowhere in the Bible, that is some Greek pagan mythological nonsense, Thunderian.

I trust the KJB translation in English is accurate & complete....no need to go “back to the Greek”. God created the languages, so you don’t think He can translate perfectly between them?

The Bible NEVER tells us to learn a new language to “fully” understand it. To think that’s necessary is to cast doubt on the preservation of His Word, or think there is some “better” or “hidden” meaning in the original tongue, but that’s simply NOT true.

The Bible says there is nothing new under the sun.

Whenever a person suggests going back to the Greek, it is because they are either deceived, or are trying to deceive others because they know the other person isn’t fluent in Koine Greek.

Therefore, what purpose is served by bringing in a language probably no one on this board is fluent in?

That’s like if I started typing out all my responses in Japanese in order to “clarify” a point, knowing that most or none of you guys can speak/read Japanese. It would be counterproductive & pointless, because it would not clarify anything, it would only confuse, and God is not the author of confusion.

So, it’s a red flag when people do this. And those who do this almost NEVER speak another language, because if they did, they would understand that it is ABSURD to claim anything is “lost in translation”, because that is simply FALSE.

In order to be saved you DO have to believe in the bodily resurrection of Christ.

You do NOT have to believe He spent those 3 days that He was dead in Hell in order to be saved, (which is why I stated in my post from the OP that it was a secondary/minor doctrine) but you must believe in His death, burial & bodily resurrection.

Like I said, the reason I believe Jesus went to Hell for those 3 days is because THAT is what the BIBLE says:

Ephesians 4: (KJB)
9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

&

Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
......Acts 2:30-32 KJB

It’s clear as day.....He descended into Hell deep within the earth, but His soul was not left in Hell, God raised Him up.

The thief on the Cross did NOT descend into Hell with Jesus; the thief went directly to Heaven (paradise).

(Every soul who was ever saved from the beginning of human life went straight to Heaven upon death, and are alive today & remain in Heaven. Only their body remains dead in the ground, until Christ returns to resurrect their glorified bodies.)

How is that possible, you ask?

Because—remember: Jesus is the Word of God made flesh, & God is OMNIPRESENT.

Observe :

“The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb”.......Revelation 14:10 KJB

^^^People claim that Hell is separation from God, but it clearly is not. After all....God created Hell.

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.”...........John 3:13 KJB

^^^^Jesus spoke these words Himself, while He was here on earth.......HOW could He be on earth stating that He is IN (present tense) Heaven?

BECAUSE HE IS OMNIPRESENT.

Her quoted statement was a reply to my comment in the other thread.

When Jesus uttered the words, "It is finished," he meant that the full price for our sins had been paid. His death was the payment. That is the only view that's consistent with the rest of the Bible.

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Where does the Bible speak about Tartarus??

The word never occurs even once in the Bible.

And what message to what spirits imprisoned there?

Book, Chapter, verse please.