Did he ?

• yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

polymoog

Superstar
no, he did not, but only from what i saw on the video.

of course, i dont know what the bigger picture was here. was there an LGBT parade going on before this? we are only seeing clips of the event, and id like to know more details.

if there was an LGBT event prior to him assembling there, i dont think he has a right to use the portable mic to drown out their message. they have the right to freely assemble as well. in my opinion, using his own voice to counteract free speech, even replying to an LGBTQ speaker is well within his rights. thats when he was arrested.

if the city is allowing an LGBT event to take place on the city street, then dissenters have a right to voice their disapproval of them and not be arrested for disturbing the peace or making comments that "causing a commotion amongst the crowd".

the guy was a class act-- peaceful and non violent. the police, i am sure, will have held him for an hour or two and then release him.

Yes, but it’s because he was on public property and disturbing the peace (see page 5, Article II, Section A), not because of what he was preaching. Years ago, there used to be this interesting individual who used to preach with a microphone on the NW or SW the corner of Yonge and Dundas, near the Eaton Centre, but the police would eventually come by and tell him to stop. At times he was so loud; you could hear him from inside the Centre.

If he was standing on the street and just preaching and/or handing out pamphlets as many normally do when one goes downtown, and got arrested, then it would've been a different story.

Last edited:

Vytas

Star
@Orwell's mentor oh wow you actually from Toronto ? Yeah but they didn't arrested him when he was speaking through speaker, they did it later when he was simply speaking, and they did it because they saw he isn't willing to shut up.

@polymoog not lgbt parade, but district he preached in, is known to be dense with lgtb people. Yeah im going to look up if he got released already.

@Orwell's mentor oh wow you actually from Toronto ? Yeah but they didn't arrested him when he was speaking through speaker, they did it later when he was simply speaking, and they did it because they saw he isn't willing to shut up.
Yes, currently, I am. :) And yeah, it's because he kept going on and on. Folks like these are somewhat the norm downtown, however, with it all being filmed, the microphone and wanting peoples' reaction to him being filmed, he seemed to be a (provocative) nuisance. There's a guy who used to do the same thing and has been doing it for decades! I still see him, or his protégé, when I go to the hairdresser's as he was always wanting to talk to me. Thankfully, he FINALLY got the message as I acted like the people in the video.

Vytas

Star
Well he was preaching throughout Toronto district by district. Also he said he isn't in any way connected to that other preacher, coincidence. Smh at media reporting he preached "hate speech"...

I don’t think he should have been arrested.

He was being peaceful, loving, and only asking people nicely if they would tolerate him being a Christian, and of course the homos were venomous as usual.

They were surrounding him like sharks, and putting their hands on HIM.

Typical reprobates.

When I see that video, with the frequent cuts, I'm reminded of a video that circulated some years ago.

It should a group of Christians, beset by Muslims, simple of speaking about Jesus. They had water bottles thrown at them, were cursed and jeered.

This happened at an Arab-American festival in Dearborn, Michigan. As a Michigan resident, something didn't add up. The Muslim population of Dearborn is integrated. To Michigan residents, they are just like anyone else...

It wasn't long until other videos surfaced and you saw other sides of the incident. They had a severed pig's head they were shoving in people's faces, a sign that said Mohommad was burning it hell, accusing non-Muslim Arabs about lying about their faith... Basically, they were deliberately antagonist.

The point is almost all media is propaganda. A youtube channel called "christianforgiveness" has a reason to make him look positive. I'd have to see other videos of other encounters and other videos this man did to judge.

Well he was preaching throughout Toronto district by district. Also he said he isn't in any way connected to that other preacher, coincidence. Smh at media reporting he preached "hate speech"...

I think David’s free to preach as he pleases; however, he’s in what is known as the Gay Village so clearly knew he was instigating something and there’d be consequences. I think it would be similar to a white supremacist in parts of Rexdale, or Scarborough shouting “white power’, or as my Jewish friends joked, handing out pro-Palestinian pamphlets on Bathurst Street.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with him preaching on the streets, but if he’s going to do it in certain areas of the city and with a microphone, anticipate certain reactions.

Last edited:
after he put away the portable mic, there is no statute he was breaking.
Meh, could very well be, but I think it's much ado about nothing. As I said, people are preaching on the streets all the time and there was a video camera there to record it all so they anticipated something was going to happen. I haven't heard about him, or him being arrested in other areas of the GTA, but that's me.

People now know about his ministry so he's obviously gotten publicity out of this.

DavidSon

Star
after he put away the portable mic, there is no statute he was breaking.
One website reported he was charged with "a breach of peace" which from what I gather is not the exact legal terminology. Maybe Inciting a breach of peace? I think it's unsettling that law enforcement have full control in judging these situations at the time. Can't find the laws/act but this article describes a similar case and the role of police: http://www.thecourt.ca/fleming-v-ontario/

Vytas

Star
When I see that video, with the frequent cuts, I'm reminded of a video that circulated some years ago.

It should a group of Christians, beset by Muslims, simple of speaking about Jesus. They had water bottles thrown at them, were cursed and jeered.

This happened at an Arab-American festival in Dearborn, Michigan. As a Michigan resident, something didn't add up. The Muslim population of Dearborn is integrated. To Michigan residents, they are just like anyone else...

It wasn't long until other videos surfaced and you saw other sides of the incident. They had a severed pig's head they were shoving in people's faces, a sign that said Mohommad was burning it hell, accusing non-Muslim Arabs about lying about their faith... Basically, they were deliberately antagonist.

The point is almost all media is propaganda. A youtube channel called "christianforgiveness" has a reason to make him look positive. I'd have to see other videos of other encounters and other videos this man did to judge.
You comparing very different cases. There was nothing antagonistic about how he handed himself. Also Christian channel while obviously on his side, showed the whole accident. Viewers can decide for themselves what they think about whole situation...

Allegra

Veteran
I just watched this last night after catching up with AmazingLucas videos and I agree with what he says here, I dont know much about Pastor David's situation right now. I hope he is ok.

Can't understand some white countries, a lot of street preachers get arrested for this, but other religion disturb public by praying on the streets is ok.

"I'm just saying.." says Lucas.

Wigi

Veteran
Disturbance of public order is quite the excuse to arrest anybody for almost anything.

But the fact that one of the guy was unable to answer the question "would you tolerate me" with a yes says a lot.
How could you ask people to be more comprehensive with such reactions?

One thing is sure, it will give more fuel to those who think christians are persecuted in the western world.

Last edited:

Allegra

Veteran
I believe every preacher can preach on the streets, any religion. But if it's not allowed then I hope other religions preachers also get the same treatment as Christian preachers, but the majority cases of arrested street preachers, it's Christian preachers. How sad.

Lisa

Superstar
“If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A slave is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also. But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know the One who sent Me.”
‭‭John 15:18-21‬ ‭

“This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.”
‭‭John 3:19-20‬ ‭