Did God......

Serveto

Star
Singular... correct, according to Strong's

elói: my God

Original Word: ἐλωΐ
Part of Speech: Aramaic Transliterated Word (Indeclinable)
Transliteration: elói
Phonetic Spelling: (el-o-ee')
Definition: my God
Usage: (Aramaic), my God.

Note that the term Allah is a "borrowed" term from the word Elah (אלהּ), though of course Hebrew monotheism predates the rise of Islam by several thousands of years...
LINK
Other scholars argue that, far from being "monotheistic," the Jews were originally "henotheistic," and that their monotheism, to the extent that they ever achieved it (refer to the Kabbalists as a possible case in point), emerged only gradually, over time, and then very awkwardly as can arguably be seen by the possible redactions of and to their scriptures, which many a so called "higher critic" has pointed out.

Last edited:
I'm not really hung up on it, though I don't mind you perceiving it that way. My older sister, whose spiritual instincts I have, over the years, learned to respect, is a convert to (a sort of liberal, somewhat Messianic "Reformed") Judaism, and, yes, I checked her vitals and made sure she wasn't converting under duress when she did so (humor). What is more, if you look at some of the "Hebrew" threads on this board, plenty of the data is gotten from what is called the "Hebrew roots" movement, and a lot of those "Hebraists," who both fancy and identify a problem with Greco-Roman aspects of Christianity, are leaving especially "Pauline" (always the culprit, sometimes for good reason) Christianity for a burgeoning "Noahide" Movement, a sort of Judaism for (gentile) export.

They are correct to have problems with Pauline Christianity ( Paul is very problematic), however a return to a more Hebraic expression is also not the answer. The answer is the practical, logical, way of life of Christianity that it was meant to be and was so well articulated by Leo Tolstoy. Christianity freed from the shackles of myth and superstition, both Hebraic and Pauline.

Serveto

Star
They are correct to have problems with Pauline Christianity ( Paul is very problematic), however a return to a more Hebraic expression is also not the answer. The answer is the practical, logical, way of life of Christianity that it was meant to be and was so well articulated by Leo Tolstoy. Christianity freed from the shackles of myth and superstition, both Hebraic and Pauline.
I would have expected such a vision to be articulated more by a Sagittarian than a Leo. But seriously, and I think relatedly, Thomas Jefferson, the "Voltaire of Virginia" and thus son of the Enlightenment, claimed that "Paul was ... the first corrupter of the doctrines of Jesus," and I think he set himself to the task, with scissors in hand, of editing the New Testament, and that according to his own lights of Reason.

It might be a case of "the operation being a success, but the patient died," because, as I see it, he and his fellows essentially stripped Christianity of its supernaturalism, redrew it in their own image, and called it "Deism." There might be a few Deists about, these days, but, as a spiritual force, it was largely spent after two or three centuries, compared to the two millennia that Christianity proper, in all of its variations, has continued to flourish and survive.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I would have expected such a vision to be articulated more by a Sagittarian than a Leo. But seriously, and I think relatedly, Thomas Jefferson, the "Voltaire of Virginia" and thus son of the Enlightenment, claimed that "Paul was ... the first corrupter of the doctrines of Jesus," and I think he set himself to the task, with scissors in hand, of editing the New Testament, and that according to his own lights of Reason.

It might be a case of "the operation being a success, but the patient died," because, as I see it, he and his fellows essentially stripped Christianity of its supernaturalism, redrew it in their own image, and called it "Deism." There might be a few Deists about, these days, but, as a spiritual force, it was largely spent after two or three centuries, compared to the two millennia that Christianity proper, in all of its variations, has continued to flourish and survive.
Regarding supernaturalism, it only takes one miracle observed first hand to confirm it. After that, the question becomes a toy of thought. I have seen more than one.

He was likely right about him. I’m not a deist either, but as far as why it died out? Hard to fight 1800 years of Pauline Christianity. I don’t deny all supernatural elements but that it is the focus only obscured the truth. What do most Christians do? They go to church, read the Bible, tithe, pray and wait for Jesus to come back. Not very productive and it’s just a method to assuage their anxieties and guilts about life.

Regarding supernaturalism, it only takes one miracle observed first hand to confirm it. After that, the question becomes a toy of thought. I have seen more than one.

That book is pretty light on the Supernatural and is easily the best of the Epistles. More is to be had in that brief letter than all of Paul’s self aggrandizing rants.

And I agree with what you quoted, but I don’t believe God is the personified wrathful being on high as depicted in the Old Testament.

( Actually you posted in the status of another commenter)

Did you see a miracle Red or did you perceive one?

Serveto

Star
He was likely right about him. I’m not a deist either, but as far as why it died out? Hard to fight 1800 years of Pauline Christianity. I don’t deny all supernatural elements but that it is the focus only obscured the truth. What do most Christians do? They go to church, read the Bible, tithe, pray and wait for Jesus to come back. Not very productive and it’s just a method to assuage their anxieties and guilts about life.
I understand. Although I've stopped "kicking against the Christian cactus," for the most part, it used to really annoy me that, at least the Christianity with which I was most familiar, chose what I considered the easy path -the cop out- by putting Jesus on a pedestal and worshiping him as God instead of doing what he said to do, which is at once the easiest and hardest thing in the world: "love your neighbor as yourself."

Then again, I also realize that, for many Christians, it is not a matter of either/or, that they can do both: worship Jesus as God, as the par examplar, and love their neighbor as themselves. I respond to the high ethics in Christianity, superbly expressed in Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, but do also think there is more to religion than ethics: there is also the need to transcend, to connect to something beyond ourselves, and that might be where the metaphysics, myths, etc., come more directly into play.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
That book is pretty light on the Supernatural and is easily the best of the Epistles. More is to be had in that brief letter than all of Paul’s self aggrandizing rants.

And I agree with what you quoted, but I don’t believe God is the personified wrathful being on high as depicted in the Old Testament.

( I see now you edited it out)
I'm so glad the God introduces Himself as "I AM". He is, regardless of our ideas, has said what He has without need for our permission or approval. That's why I don't really debate these issues, I just share what I have experienced.

I understand. Although I've stopped "kicking against the ("organized") Christian cactus," for the most part, it used to really annoy me that, at least the Christianity with which I was most familiar, chose what I considered the easy path -the cop out- by putting Jesus on a pedestal and worshiping him as God instead of doing what he said to do, which is at once the easiest and hardest thing in the world: "love your neighbor as yourself."

Then again, I also realize that, for many Christians, it is not a matter of either/or, that they can do both: worship Jesus as God, as the par examplar, and love their neighbor as themselves. I respond to the high ethics in Christianity, superbly expressed in Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, but do also think there is more to religion than ethics: there is also the need to transcend, to connect to something beyond ourselves, and that might be where the metaphysics, myths, etc., come more directly into play.
I think that Jesus is more than mere ethics or philosophy, more than just a man of antiquity, and I believe in the resurrection. I just don’t believe it’s the point and that most of the supernatural is myth and storytelling

I'm so glad the God introduces Himself as "I AM". He is, regardless of our ideas, has said what He has without need for our permission or approval. That's why I don't really debate these issues, I just share what I have experienced.

I confused the post I quotedwith the one you made on someone’s status, sorry about that. You’re right it doesn’t matter how we think of God and that includes human limits imposed on him through scripture.

Todd

Star
I think that Jesus is more than mere ethics or philosophy, more than just a man of antiquity, and I believe in the resurrection. I just don’t believe it’s the point and that most of the supernatural is myth and storytelling
I've been slowing gravitating to something similar over the last few years. However I know that in my own strength I am not able to live up to the standards of Jesus' teachings and ethics. When I am struggling with temptation or just lacking in ambition to live accordingly when I sit at my keyboard and worship God, something rises up within me and empowers me to live up to my convictions to a better degree. Maybe it's psychological but by faith I still believe it is God's spirit empowering me.

As much as I've been a believer in the supernatural and have witnessed them in my own life, that is the first that crossed my mind when I read @Red Sky at Morning 's post. Thinking back though I know of two instances that were definetly real and cannot be explained by natrual reasoning or perception.
I consider it a “miracle” that I take Christianity seriously, considering how I felt about it for so long. It’s had a miraculous effect on how I try to live my life and treat others. I think to be “born again” or to have the “ Holy Spirit” is inward spiritual growth in the name of Christ.

I don’t doubt what you or even Red have seen, but religion can trigger certain chemical reactions in the brain that cause us to see things that might be considered miraculous, or the miraculous is just mis-understood scientific phenomenon. I don’t know.

I've been slowing gravitating to something similar over the last few years. However I know that in my own strength I am not able to live up to the standards of Jesus' teachings and ethics. When I am struggling with temptation or just lacking in ambition to live accordingly when I sit at my keyboard and worship God, something rises up within me and empowers me to live up to my convictions to a better degree. Maybe it's psychological but by faith I still believe it is God's spirit empowering me.
I agree. I believe there is a transcendent quality to Jesus that helps us in times of weakness or fear.

SnowFall

Veteran
I don’t believe you. All my catholics friend worship mary and bow down to her statue. Some even claim mary is the second meditator between man and God. And it’s so convenience that the catholics church REMOVED the 2nd commandment. If you’re catholics, I’m giving you a warning right now to repent of this grave sins of idolatry and fully trust in ONLY JESUS BY FAITH and not your own righteousness.
Well I guess we have to agree to disagree on our lady, but if you think that having religious statues is idolatry didn’t god command Moses to have cherubs on the ark of the covenant?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I consider it a “miracle” that I take Christianity seriously, considering how I felt about it for so long. It’s had a miraculous effect on how I try to live my life and treat others. I think to be “born again” or to have the “ Holy Spirit” is inward spiritual growth in the name of Christ.

I don’t doubt what you or even Red have seen, but religion can trigger certain chemical reactions in the brain that cause us to see things that might be considered miraculous, or the miraculous is just mis-understood scientific phenomenon. I don’t know.
I saw a friend's twisted spine healed after a specific word of knowledge was given to the speaker at a meeting.She reluctantly walked to the front, a few years away from a wheelchair, and ran back to us with tears and a big smile having been healed by the power of God.

She was from a very traditional church of England background and when the speaker prayed for her, she found herself flat in the floor with the sensation of having her spine knocked back into like along its length.

We knew her before and were aware of her disability and had only gone to the meeting on the off-chance, just to hear his story.

The guy who spoke had given his testimony. It's a bit old now so forgive the production quality...

I saw a friend's twisted spine healed after a specific word of knowledge was given to the speaker at a meeting.She reluctantly walked to the front, a few years away from a wheelchair, and ran back to us with tears and a big smile having been healed by the power of God.

She was from a very traditional church of England background and when the speaker prayed for her, she found herself flat in the floor with the sensation of having her spine knocked back into like along its length.

We knew her before and were aware of her disability and had only gone to the meeting on the off-chance, just to hear his story.

The guy who spoke had given his testimony. It's a bit old now so forgive the production quality...

I can’t argue with what you have seen, but it sounds like faith healing.

https://www.premier.org.uk/News/UK/Derren-Brown-reveals-faith-healing-trick

For every miracle there is a dangerous fraud

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-14406818

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

floss

Star
Well I guess we have to agree to disagree on our lady, but if you think that having religious statues is idolatry didn’t god command Moses to have cherubs on the ark of the covenant?
Why did the catholics church completely removed the second commandment?