noun
INFORMAL

short for debutante.

and

debutante

/ˈdɛbjʊtɑːnt,ˈdeɪɛbjʊtɑːnt/

noun

noun: debutante; plural noun: debutantes

an upper-class young woman making her first appearance in fashionable society.

a woman making her first public appearance, especially in sport.
"the women's team includes eighteen year-old debutante Katharine Merry"

and

débutant/e (French) means starter simply whether male or female hence the /e

So is a debate a starter who just ate and therefore can now start debating as in engage in fruitful discussion? Or is it a starter who is 8, as in infinity even though this false eternalness is currently subject to extinction since the starter will automatically cease to exist at some point in time because Only God Is The One Who Is Truly Everlasting and Who Never Ever dies, and will forever have something to say in order to always be right concerning his/her outstanding intelligence (Hallelujah for such an intellect)?

So here's to the first debate on this site, or is it?

What is a debate according to you?

Thoughts and contributions are most welcome please, por favor, s'il vous plaît.

calvin-cartoon.jpg

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
I might not be the guy to ask lol
I considered much of what I engage in here to be debate, but other posters feel Im on some other ish lol

yannick

Veteran
I might not be the guy to ask lol
I considered much of what I engage in here to be debate, but other posters feel Im on some other ish lol
Okay, thanks a lot for your reply. :) What other issue if I may ask?

ish

/ɪʃ/

adverb

INFORMAL

to some extent.
"‘Are you busy?’ ‘Ish’"

JoChris

Superstar
Just what is a debate?

Is it a deb? I guess one could say that it's partly so since

deb

/dɛb/

noun
INFORMAL

short for debutante.

and

debutante

/ˈdɛbjʊtɑːnt,ˈdeɪɛbjʊtɑːnt/

noun

noun: debutante; plural noun: debutantes

an upper-class young woman making her first appearance in fashionable society.

a woman making her first public appearance, especially in sport.
"the women's team includes eighteen year-old debutante Katharine Merry"

and

débutant/e (French) means starter simply whether male or female hence the /e

So is a debate a starter who just ate and therefore can now start debating as in engage in fruitful discussion? Or is it a starter who is 8, as in infinity even though this false eternalness is currently subject to extinction since the starter will automatically cease to exist at some point in time because Only God Is The One Who Is Truly Everlasting and Who Never Ever dies, and will forever have something to say in order to always be right concerning his/her outstanding intelligence (Hallelujah for such an intellect)?

So here's to the first debate on this site, or is it?

What is a debate according to you?

Thoughts and contributions are most welcome please, por favor, s'il vous plaît.

Do you want a debate or an argument?
Monty Python shows us what an argument ISN'T....or is it? :)

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Okay, thanks a lot for your reply. :) What other issue if I may ask?

ish

/ɪʃ/

adverb

INFORMAL

to some extent.
"‘Are you busy?’ ‘Ish’"
If you want a complete answer you would have to ask them, but from what I understand some site members feel I am to harsh with my posts.

Maes17

Superstar
@Maes17 I would like to hear your views please. :)
My views as far as a debate? Well I think a debate is not strictly an argument. It's an expression in beliefs based on facts, firsr hand experience. I'm one who is respectful of all beliefs really. I've had blessing to be able to experience different regions of my country and in turn experience the different cultural identities to what makes the US so unique. I grew up and now live in the southwest. I've attended college in the south, I've been to both the east coast and west coast. So being able to experience that has not only made me tolerable but very very chill. I'm a patient person. It takes a lot to piss me off and put me into a heated argument or debate.

JoChris

Superstar
Wow, thanks, that was just brilliant! ^_^

I just want anything anybody wants to write about so that I can read and reply to. :) Thanks again, Jo! My salutations to Chris, if you please?
I generally liked comedy debates done on serious topics until personal overdisclosure (no, not everyone thinks your love life is that important!) became the fashion.
The participants usually kept to the topic - quite bizarrely - instead of merely contradicting the opponents or resorting to personal attack.

yannick

Veteran
I generally liked comedy debates done on serious topics until personal overdisclosure (no, not everyone thinks your love life is that important!) became the fashion.
The participants usually kept to the topic - quite bizarrely - instead of merely contradicting the opponents or resorting to personal attack.
You're right that some things need to be kept private.

Can you mention some comedy debates done on serious topics please? Thanks!

JoChris

Superstar
You're right that some things need to be kept private.

Can you mention some comedy debates done on serious topics please? Thanks!
It is part of the annual Melbourne comedy festival. This is the most recent one. Mature audience only.

On Youtube search 2018 Melbourne comedy festival debate for next sections.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I think debate and conversation on forums often fails because people are not particularly self-aware when it comes to world-view. Like @Maes17 I have spoken with people with all kinds of views over the years. I think it is very healthy to reflect on what you know and how you know it. Good debate is like submitting a paper you may have written to the public space for peer review. It carries risk of being misunderstood but can also help you crystallise your own ideas as others can offer the service of knocking the rough edges off your thinking.

When it comes to debate, a simple pattern of thought often causes a breakdown of communication.

Tom (not his real name) might be debating on a forum with Daisy (not her real name either). Using letters to denote the progression of ideas, Tom and Daisy might actually agree about point A but be talking about point D.

The problem is that they have slightly different interpretations of B, leading to entirely different positions on C, which in turn leads to Tom accusing Daisy of being a shill and Daisy blocking Tom and creating threads about how stupid people who take Tom's view on point D are!!!!

The moral of the tale?

When Tom and Daisy started talking, they would have been better first grounding their discussion on mutual respect and on how the agreed about A. As everything for them hinges on point B, as all conclusions are derived from that fork in the road, this would be the best area to debate (for them).

Why? Because you are not just debating about the ideas, but with the people who have those ideas.

Last edited: