Death, the State of the Dead, and Resurrection according to the Bible.

phipps

Star
I have a thread that I started on death in 2018 but unfortunately that thread veered off the subject I intended for it. I intend to post more on what the Bible says on these very important subjects.

Most people have wondered at some point in their life about death, the afterlife, and where they will end up. As humans we know that one day we will die. No one on this earth lives forever.

It’s not something we really like to think about. It may even feel like an uncomfortable subject. But the question remains.

The good news is, we do have a reliable source that tells us how to navigate this tough subject. The Bible.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Breath, Life, and Spirit

The origins of life and death are a mystery that even the scientific world cannot solve. The Scriptures, however, provide clear-cut answers on the origin of life and the origin and state of death. According to the Creation account, humanity received the gift of life from God:

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul" (Genesis 2:7).

The Hebrew word for "breath" in Genesis 2:7 is neshamah: the life-giving principle. The breath is equivalent to life itself (Isaiah 2:22). Another Hebrew word which is translated 28 times as "breath" in the King James Version is ruach, which can also mean "wind," "disposition," or "spirit." It is translated 237 times as "spirit" in the KJV. In Genesis 2:7, God's breath makes the inanimate material come to life, and transforms it into a living soul.

Job correlates the usage of breath and the spirit, saying, "All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils" (Job 27:3).

Moses reported that the breath of life was in Adam's nostrils, whereas Job referred to both terms, saying that the spirit of the Lord was in his nostrils. Hence, the Hebrew terms neshamah and ruach are used here in a similar context—namely life itself. According to the Scriptures, all living creatures received life in the same way from God, and are subject to the same fate (Genesis 2:19; 7:15).

Both human and beast "have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast" (Ecclesiastes 3:19). And since humans and beasts have one breath, they also die the same way. "For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts...as the one dieth, so dieth the other" (Ecclesiastes 3:19). Both humans and animals were created from dust. When they die they return again to dust; the reverse of Creation (Genesis 3:19).

The Hebrew for "soul" is nephesh, and both the terms ruach and nephesh have frequently been misapplied to suit un-biblical positions about death.

Last edited:

John K

Established
Must be maddening when you are about to die, and you know the time is comming... And you know those will be your last breathen ....

This remember me the text in the bible, when the serpent offered immortality to Adam and Eve....
Who will accept the offer of satan ?
And what kind of immortality does he offer ?
Because if this immortality involve to give your soul to satan, it's not a good deal.

Someone told me that I can live until 90 years old, if I believe with all my soul, that I will live until 90.

But what if I want to live forever ?
Can we live forever if we believe?

And the most important, does it worth enough to live forever in this material world? Or there is something better in the other side?

phipps

Star
Must be maddening when you are about to die, and you know the time is comming... And you know those will be your last breathen ....

This remember me the text in the bible, when the serpent offered immortality to Adam and Eve....
Who will accept the offer of satan ?
And what kind of immortality does he offer ?
Because if this immortality involve to give your soul to satan, it's not a good deal.

Someone told me that I can live until 90 years old, if I believe with all my soul, that I will live until 90.

But what if I want to live forever ?
Can we live forever if we believe?

And the most important, does it worth enough to live forever in this material world? Or there is something better in the other side?
I can't imagine what it feels like to know you're dying. I imagine many people are scared and wonder what will happen to them after death. That is why I think its important to understand what the Bible says about death. I think its comforting to know that one is just asleep or unconscious in the grave as the Bible teaches.

Satan cannot offer anyone immortality. He himself is not immortal. The Bible tells us only God is immortal. All Satan can offer is people losing their souls eternally.

Only God chooses and knows how long we will live in this earth. It doesn't matter if you believe with all your soul how long you want to live, ultimately God is the one who decides that since He is the One who gave us life and has power over life and death.

The Bible is clear no one can live in this world forever in the sinful state its in. This world and sin is going to end. We can live forever eternally after Jesus comes back a second time if we believed in Jesus Christ as our personal Saviour, surrendered ourselves to Him, obeyed and followed Him in this world.

It definitely is not worth it to live in this world eternally in the state its in. That would be torture in my opinion. Its hard enough as it is for the short period we live in this word. Thanks to God this evil world will end along with sin and sinners. Then God will create and a new heaven and new earth that will be free of sin and the righteous will live with Christ forever. I want to be there, don't you?

Last edited:

John K

Established
It doesn't matter if you believe with all your soul how long you want to live, ultimately God is the one who decides that since He is the One who gave us life and has power over life and death.
I don't subestimate the power of our mind. As the bible said, we are similar to God.

Thanks to God this evil world will end along with sin and sinners
I believe this world could be better place. With love, peace, and wealth for everyone.
But I also believe that must be something better. Maybe a world without dead, without pain....

Jesus comes back a second time if we believed in Jesus Christ as our personal Saviour, surrendered ourselves to Him, obeyed and followed Him in this world.
Sounds good . But who knows?

phipps

Star
@John K
I don't subestimate the power of our mind. As the bible said, we are similar to God.
We have certain similarities with God true, we were created in His image after all but we do not have power over life and death. No created being does. We can't and don't choose when we are born and when we die. Only God has that power.

I believe this world could be better place. With love, peace, and wealth for everyone.
But I also believe that must be something better. Maybe a world without dead, without pain....
You're right. This world could be a better place with all those things you mentioned but we have the devil on this earth with us. He is intent that this world gets worse and his intentions have been the same since this world was created. He wants most people to lose their lives eternally and sadly they will according to the Bible. He knows that will hurt God very much. This world with sin and the devil in it will never be peaceful ever and the Bible never says that too. The Bible only talks about a peaceful world in the new world after Jesus returns and sin, the devil, the unrighteous and death have been eradicated forever.

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son" (Revelation 21:1-7)

Sounds good . But who knows?
I know and anyone who trusts God does too. When the Bible says something is going to happen it always does.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
What really happens when we die?

The Bible says those who have died know nothing. That means we aren’t aware of the passage of time after death. We aren’t aware of what’s happening in the world.

Jesus compared death to sleep (Luke 8:52, John 11:11-14). This comparison of death to sleep is found many times in both the Old and New Testaments. Death is not exactly the same as natural sleep but it is similar. When we are asleep, we know nothing about what goes on around us. We rest peacefully until morning. The dead rest too. So they know nothing of what is going on this world.

“For the living know that they will die; But the dead know nothing, And they have no more reward, For the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished; Nevermore will they have a share In anything done under the sun” (Ecclesiastes 9:5-6).

What happens to a person's thoughts when they die?

"Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help. His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; In that very day his plans perish"
(Psalm 146:3-4).

These verses are very clear: A person's spirit or breath of life (the Hebrew word 'ruwach') departs. He returns to the earth and in theat very day his thoughts perish. This is why the dead cannot speak to us.

In the beginning God made man in the Garden of Eden from the dust of the earth. Then, He breathed the breath of life into Adam’s nostrils. In that moment Adam became a living being or soul.

“And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being” (Genesis 2:7).

Notice the verse says Adam became a living being when God breathed the breath of life into his nostrils. The King James Version says it this way:

“And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul” (Genesis 2:7).

His breath is what made him a living soul – a living being. When we die, we stop breathing and we rest. Nowhere in the Bible does it say the soul is separate from the body.

A soul is a living being (see Genesis 2:7 above) which is the combination of a body plus the breath of life. The soul cannot exist without the body or the breath.

“… the body without the spirit is dead” (James 2:26).

“As long as my breath is in me, And the breath of God in my nostrils” (Job 27:3).

We can see this idea illustrated by looking at a light bulb. Without electricity, a light bulb has no light. In order to produce light, both the lightbulb and the electricity are needed. Similarly, the body has no life without the breath of God. Your soul is not a separate being.

So when a person dies, what happens to their body and spirit (the breath of life) from God?

Ecclesiastes 12:7, "Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, And the spirit will return to God who gave it."

The word "spirit" in this verse is "ruwach" in the Hebrew. So this verse is saying that at death, the breath (literally the wind) that God gave us goes back to God, while the body returns to the elements that composed it. The dust, "And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, Some to everlasting life, Some to shame and everlasting contempt" (Daniel 12:2).

Death is simply the reverse of man's creation. Body - breath of life (spirit) = dead soul or person.

Some religions or denominations teach other ideas about what happens when we die. For instance, some people believe in purgatory, reincarnation, immortality of the soul, the afterlife, etc.

It is important when looking at different ideas about the state of the dead to weigh each teaching according to the Bible.

“If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them” (Isaiah 8:20).

The Bible says death is like a sleep and the dead know nothing. There is no need to worry about a loved one who has passed away.

They are resting peacefully in the grave. They are not in pain. They are not somewhere else being tormented. They are simply waiting in the grave until Jesus comes back.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Do souls die?

Genesis 2:7 shows us that after God made man from the dust of the ground, God breathed the breath of life (spirit, ruach in Hebrew) into man and he became a living soul or being. The formula is, physical body + breath of life/spirit = living soul/being. The Bible doesn't say God put a soul into him. We are souls but we do not have souls.

According to God’s Word, souls do die! We are souls, and souls die.

“The soul that sinneth, it shall die” (Ezekiel 18:20).

“Every living soul died in the sea” (Revelation 16:3).

The Bible has nothing to say of souls being immortal. Man is mortal (Job 4:17). Only God is immortal (1 Timothy 6:15-16). The Hebrew word translated 'soul' in most Bible is 'nephesh' which simply means 'a being'. Its exactly the same word used for animals and for human beings. The popular idea of the 'soul' as part of us that can live eternally without a body came from paganism, ancient philosophers etc, not the Bible.

The Bible does however promise eternal life/immortality to those who believe in Christ and live according to His will on this earth. This will happen after Jesus returns the second time:

“Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality” (1 Corinthians 15:51-53).

“For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord” (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17).

Its important to note that those who will be resurrected in the first resurrection at the shout, voice and trumpet of Christ, will have physical bodies and breath of life/spirit together. They will have immortal superior bodies but they will be complete living souls/beings. And they will always be throughout eternity.

phipps

Star
Are the dead in heaven praising God?

Psalm 115:17, "The dead do not praise the Lord, Nor any who go down into silence."

No! The dead go down into silence. The Bible never says the dead go up to heaven. Only the living praise the Lord but when the dead in Christ are raised to life again, they will praise the Lord! Every living soul in heaven is very much alive and always will be. When Christ rose from His death, He did it here on earth and went to heaven alive. No one goes or will go to heaven dead.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Why do we die?

The Bible tells us the wages of sin is death. In other words, the cost of our sin is death. Sin entered this world in the Garden of Eden at the very beginning of time.

“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23).

“Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned” (Romans 5:12).

God had told Adam and Eve they could eat from every tree in the garden except for one. He said if they ate from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil they would die.

“but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die” (Genesis 2:17).

Unfortunately we read in Genesis 3 that Eve ate from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and shared some of the fruit with her husband, Adam, who also ate it.

“So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate” (Genesis 3:6).

Because of our sinful natures we all face physical death one day. The good news is death does not have to be the end. We have hope for salvation and eternal life through Christ Jesus.

phipps

Star
What was the devil’s first lie on Earth?

You will not die.

“The serpent said to the woman, ‘You will not surely die’ ”
(Genesis 3:4).

“That serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan” (Revelation 12:9).

Why did the devil lie to Eve about death? Could this subject be more important than we think?

The devil’s lie that we will not die is one of the pillars of his teachings. For thousands of years, he has worked powerful, deceptive miracles to trick people into thinking they are receiving messages from the spirits of the dead. (Examples: Magicians of Egypt—Exodus 7:11; Witch of Endor—1 Samuel 28:3-25; Sorcerers—Daniel 2:2; A slave girl—Acts 16:16-18.)

A Solemn Warning
In the near future, Satan will again use sorcery—as he did in the prophet Daniel’s day—to deceive the world (Revelation 18:23). Sorcery is a supernatural agency that claims to receive its power and wisdom from the spirits of the dead.

Posing as Jesus' Disciples
Posing as godly loved ones who have died, saintly clergymen who are now dead, Bible prophets, or even the apostles of Christ (2 Corinthians 11:13), Satan and his angels will deceive billions. Those who believe the dead are alive, in any form, will likely be deceived.

Do devils really work miracles?

“For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles”
(Revelation 16:14).

“False christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect” (Matthew 24:24).

Yes indeed! Devils work incredibly convincing miracles (Revelation 13:13-14). Satan will appear as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14) and, even more shocking, as Christ Himself (Matthew 24:23-24). The universal feeling will be that Christ and His angels are leading out in a fantastic worldwide revival. The entire emphasis will seem so spiritual and be so supernatural that only God’s elect will not be deceived.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Why will God's people not be deceived?

“They received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so” (Acts 17:11).

“If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them” (Isaiah 8:20).

God’s people will know from their study of His book that the dead are dead, not alive. They will know that a “spirit” claiming to be a deceased loved one is really a devil! God’s people will reject all teachers and miracle workers who claim to receive special “light” or work miracles by contacting the spirits of the dead. And God’s people will likewise reject as dangerous and false all teachings that claim the dead are alive in any form, anywhere.

Back in Moses’ day, what did God command should be done to people who taught that the dead were alive?

“A man or a woman who is a medium, or who has familiar spirits, shall surely be put to death; they shall stone them with stones” (Leviticus 20:27).

God insisted that mediums and others with “familiar spirits” (who claimed to be able to contact the dead) should be stoned to death. This shows how God regards the false teaching that the dead are alive.

phipps

Star
First and second death.

In the Bible there are two deaths.

The first death is the one Jesus calls sleep. Its the natural death that people die here on earth. Its the death I've posted on so far on this thread. This death is not final and all of us will rise from it, although it will be at different times depending on if we are sleeping in Christ or not.

Those who are sleeping in Christ will awaken, they will live forever and never to taste the second death.

The second death.

The phrase “second death” is found four times in the book of Revelation, and nowhere else.

Revelation 2:11, “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.” ’

Revelation 20:6, "Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years."

Revelation 20:14, "Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire.
This is the second death."

Revelation 21:8, "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.

These few verses reveal several important things about the second death.

- Its a permanent death. Those who will die from this death will never be resurrected and live again for eternity.

- It is the way God is going to eradicate sin, sinners, Satan and death from this world forever.

- It will be a process that brings sinful life to an end (Revelation 20:10, 14).

- This death has no power or authority over the righteous. Christ has given the assurance that everyone "'who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death'."

- It will involve punishment that will cause physical and spiritual anguish or agony. It will be indescribable pain

- It will take place in hell which is the lake of fire.

- It will be the final penalty for sin of unrepentant sinners—all whose names are not written in the book of life.

I will post more about this death while posting about the resurrections.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The First and Second Resurrections.

Just like there are two deaths, there are two resurrections for most people biblically.

Resurrection biblically is "the restoration of life, together with fullness of being and personality, subsequent to death." The resurrected person always has a physical body and breath of life or spirit. That is what makes them living souls or beings. A person might have their old body (1 Kings 17:17-23; 2 Kings 4:32-35; 2 Kings 13:21; Luke 7:11, 15; Luke 8:41-42, 49-55; John 11:43-44; Acts 9:40-41; Acts 20:10, 12) or a new body as the Bible tells us will happen to the righteous in the first resurrection when Jesus returns.

“For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.” (Philippians 3:20-21).

Jesus spoke of one resurrection for those who are saved, and another resurrection for those who are lost.

"Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation" (John 5:28-29).

This means everyone who has died will come back to life again. Some for eternity, and others long enough to see their condemnation is just, and then to die for eternity (the second death).

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The First Resurrection.

When Jesus returns at the end of time, all who have died believing in Christ and obeyed Him will have a resurrection and go to Heaven with Him. This is the first resurrection.

Paul wrote about the separate resurrections for the saved and unsaved when he wrote that when Christ comes the saved will rise first.

"For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first" (1 Thessalonians 4:16).

This resurrection is only for those who were faithful to Christ and died. These resurrected people will join all the faithful Christians who are still living in the air and forever be with the Lord. Together they will go to Heaven.

The saved only die once. When they are resurrected in the first resurrection they will live eternally from then on. They will not die a second time.

Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die" (John 11:25-26).

What did Jesus mean by “though he may die, he shall live?” Jesus was referring to the first resurrection, where the dead in Christ will live to never die again. What did Jesus mean by whoever lives and believes in me shall never die?" Jesus referred to the first death as sleep. If we live and believe in Jesus we may sleep, but we will be raised to life in the first resurrection, to live for eternity, and will never die the second death of the unsaved, which is the true and eternal death.

These are the events that will happen at the first resurrection to the righteous:

- The second coming of Jesus for His saints (Matthew 24:30-31)

- The saved dead raised to life (1 Thessalonians 4:16)

- The saved given immortality (1 Corinthians 15:51-55)

- The saved given bodies like Jesus (1 John 3:2; Philippians 3:20-21)

- All the righteous caught up into the clouds (1 Thessalonians 4:17)

- Jesus takes the righteous to heaven (John 13:33, 36; 14:2-3)

"But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years" (Revelation 20:5-6).

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The Second Resurrection

The second resurrection happens after a thousand years have passed. This resurrection is for only those who were unfaithful to Christ (the saved are alive in heaven with Christ). This resurrection is also called the "resurrection of condemnation" (John 5:29). These are the lost people who decided to reject Christ during their life on earth.

After the saved go back to heaven with Christ, the Bible tells us, "And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years" (Revelation 20:4).

The first resurrection begins the 1,000-year period. “This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection” (Revelation 20:5-6). As Revelation 20:4 tells us, the saved in heaven will take part in judgement and reign with Christ for the 1000 years. What judgement will the saved take part in? "Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life?" (1 Corinthians 6:3). They judge the evil angels including Satan. They also search the Books to see for themselves why those not in heaven with them were not permitted to rise in the first resurrection with them. This judgment will clear up any questions the saved might have about those who were lost. In the end, they will see that people are shut out of heaven because they did not really want to live like Jesus or to be with Him.

Also, they are in heaven for that thousand years because when Jesus comes back the second time, the entire earth goes into such upheaval that it becomes uninhabitable. Revelation 21:1 tells us of a new creation, a new heaven and a new earth that will be given to the redeemed at the end of the thousand years, when the New Jerusalem, where they're living, comes down from heaven. Revelation 21:2.

During that same millennium Satan is chained on this earth, "Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished" (Revelation 20:1-3). There is no one on earth for Satan to deceive. The entire planet is empty, left in ruins, without a single human being (Jeremiah 4:24-26). The wicked are all dead. The words "bottomless pit" are the same words the Bible uses in Greek for the state of the earth before creation. In the original Greek “abussos,” or abyss means "bottomless pit". It is the same word is used in Genesis 1:2 in the Greek version of the Old Testament in connection with the creation of the earth but there it is translated “deep.” “The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep.” The words “deep,” “bottomless pit,” and “abyss” refer to the same thing—the earth in its totally dark, disorganized form before God made order of it. So for the 1000 years, Satan is in a devastated, lifeless earth that is void, with no possibility to tempt anyone because they are all dead. He essentially spends 1000 years in solitary confinement.

““The rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. ... When the thousand years have expired, Satan will be released from his prison and will go out to deceive the nations” (Revelation 20:5, 7, 8). At the close of the 1,000 years (when Jesus comes back the third time), the unsaved will be raised. Satan, loosed from his bonds, will then have an earth full of people (all the nations of the world) to deceive. Unfortunately, these people are not raised to eternal life, but instead will face the second death. Why are the unsaved resurrected to die again this time for eternity? Why not leave them to stay dead for eternity?

Jesus and the redeemed come down to earth with the New Jerusalem city. That's Jesus' third coming to earth. But before the re-creation of earth, the second resurrection will happen. Those raised in the second resurrection are organised by Satan to attack the newly-descended city, "Satan will … go out to deceive the nations … of the earth … to gather them together to battle, whose number is as the sand of the sea. They went up on the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city” (Revelation 20:7-9). But they hear judgment pronounced against them, and then they experience "the second death" in the fire from heaven (Revelation 20:9-10; 21:8, Malachi 4:3). The Bible describes the lake of fire, where they're destroyed, as the "second death." Revelation 20:14-15 says, "Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire." ( see also 1 Corinthians 15:26; Revelation 21:8) The unsaved are not given immortality, especially since "death and hell" are also "cast into the lake of fire," to be destroyed forever too. Biblically there's no such thing as an eternally burning torment of hellfire. No sinner is given immortality. Eternal life/immortality is promised only to the saved.

With the destruction of Satan and the unsaved, sin is eradicated and death itself is destroyed. Christ has given the assurance that everyone "'who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death'" (Revelation 2:11).

phipps

Star
Third Resurrection.

Most people will either be raised in the first or second resurrection at the end time but there is a small number of people in the Bible who will be raised in the third resurrection, also called a "special resurrection."

In the third or "special resurrection," there will be a group of people who will be resurrected specially to see Jesus return the second time.

Jesus had told them face to face that this will happen, "Jesus said to him, “It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven” (Matthew 26:64)

And Revelation 1:7 describes a scene that's clearly Jesus' Second Coming, "Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen."

Now why would those who did such evil to Jesus on the cross see Him coming to earth to claim His faithful? Why aren't they resurrected in the second resurrection along with all the rest of the wicked? It's because their sin is even worse, because they did it directly to the Son of God, even though He had given all the evidence anyone could need, to know He was the long-awaited Messiah, the Lamb of God whose sacrifice of Himself would "save them FROM their sins" (Matthew 1:21), not IN their sins.

They falsely arrested and accused Him, held a sham trial, pressured Pilate and incited the crowd to crucify this innocent Man, mocked Him, hit and spit on Him, jammed a thorny crown onto His head, scourged Him cruelly twice, then hung him on the Roman cross to die as the worst of the three sinners executed that day. These people will get to see our King and Lord coming in power and magnificence and beauty, with thousands and thousands of angels, to receive His beloved saints. And they will know that the One they treated so cruelly is not coming for them. Their suffering is worse than those still waiting in their graves for the second resurrection and destruction, because they get to see more of His triumphant return than the sleeping ones do. As He was once in their hands, they are now in His hands.

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
There's a satanic belief among various nonchristian cults that after they die and are resurrected on judgement day, God will give them a "second chance" to repent, the idea is too silly for words..:)

phipps

Star
There's a satanic belief among various nonchristian cults that after they die and are resurrected on judgement day, God will give them a "second chance" to repent, the idea is too silly for words..:)
Sadly this is a belief even within various Christian religions. They believe that during the millennium, the unsaved will be alive and have a chance to repent. But that is completely unbiblical.

It will be impossible for any person to repent during the 1,000 years because there will not be a person alive on the earth plus Revelation 22:11-12 makes it clear that the case of every person is closed before Jesus returns.

Last edited:

Maldarker

Star
Sadly this is a belief even within various Christian religions. They believe that during the millennium, the unsaved will be alive and have a chance to repent. But that is completely unbiblical.

It will be impossible for any person to repent during the 1,000 years because there will not be a person alive on the earth plus Revelation 22:11-12 makes it clear that the case of every person is closed before Jesus returns.
Umm think you are wrong about the 1,000 year period - JESUS reigns on earth with people alive for 1000 years then the dragon is loosed one last time or am i just imagining it?