cultural appropriation

polymoog

Superstar
heres the indoctrination of the youth:

who decides how it is respectfully done? according to progressives: the offended, of course. emotion/feelings always supercede logic, laws, and rights. (this is the same argument that is used when they say hate speech "goes too far"; that free speech has limits.)

but there IS hope for humanity, based on the like/dislike ratio.

rainerann

Star
Did you notice how all her examples were from celebrities? Katy Perry, Pharell, Kylie Jenner. Aren't these the people who should know better especially since picking out an outfit can take several people for things like performances and appearances. Hmm, kind of makes the subject look staged. In addition to this, maybe people complain when they see celebrities doing things like this because everything celebrities do has an air of superficiality to it. All in all, Hollywood seems like they are the primary ones who have this problem. Their money goes to their head and they start thinking they can do anything they want.

Cultural appropriation is more than hairstyles and clothing. Its more like things like the $5 dollar Indians (Dawes Roll) stuff where people (allegedly) paid money to be listed as Indian so they could obtain land. Thats cultural appropriation. Or killing most of an indigenous group and allowing another group to move in and claim their titles. What shes talking about is mainly superficial stuff

rainerann

Star
Cultural appropriation is more than hairstyles and clothing. Its more like things like the $5 dollar Indians (Dawes Roll) stuff where people (allegedly) paid money to be listed as Indian so they could obtain land. Thats cultural appropriation. Or killing most of an indigenous group and allowing another group to move in and claim their titles. What shes talking about is mainly superficial stuff
Interesting point KM

llleopard

Established
This is not exactly appropriation - it's just downright stupid and lack of research..... or actually talking to either an Australian or a NZer !!!! ROTFL.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12059191

An American zoo has been slammed for using Māori dancers in the opening for an Australian exhibition, saying they were "native" to both countries.

San Diego Zoo Safari Park in California launched its Walkabout Australia exhibit yesterday with a Facebook live stream, but viewers were quick to point out the glaring mistake.

The video opened with a shot of a group of Māori dancers singing and swinging poi, before filmers headed inside the Australia-themed exhibit.

"San Diego zoo are you even serious? You missed April Fools. Your attempt at cultural appropriation is wrong, rude, and offensive," commenter Fiona Claire said.

"The Māori are from New Zealand, and for you to completely ignore the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people who are the traditional custodians of Australian land is a joke."

Other commenters asked if zoo staff realised Australia and New Zealand were two different countries and criticised them for failing to do their research beforehand.

The zoo responded on Facebook with a statement, saying Māori people were "native" to both nations, Stuff reported.

That comment has since been edited to say they received incorrect information.

"The various entertainment featured recently in Walkabout Australia is a preview of our upcoming event Summer Safari, which features entertainment from all over the globe. Again, our apologies," the zoo's statement said.

"As a New Zealander, I can confirm that statement is incorrect," commenter Jason Solomon said.

"Just plain ignorant, and offensive that you try to defend it," commenter John Schwager said.

"Change the name to Trump Zoo!"

Aero

Superstar
They accused Alexander the Great of cultural appropriation too. And he wasn't doing drive by cosplay. What I mean is it doesn't really matter if you are into the culture or not. Nobody is going to get a free pass into cultures we weren't born into.

heres the indoctrination of the youth:

who decides how it is respectfully done? according to progressives: the offended, of course. emotion/feelings always supercede logic, laws, and rights. (this is the same argument that is used when they say hate speech "goes too far"; that free speech has limits.)

but there IS hope for humanity, based on the like/dislike ratio.
Kids these days have way too much time on their hands...and have it way too easy...what a bunch of garbage.

polymoog

Superstar
Kids these days have way too much time on their hands...and have it way too easy...what a bunch of garbage.
well, as true as your statement is, it is we who have let things get into this dark position in the first place. kids have no idea what normality is (or was).
its now metastasized into what it is now because we were not vigilant enough.

elsbet

Superstar
Divisive, down to the last molecule. That's what it is.. and I'm fairly certain, that is the intent.

When the cultural appropriation rears it's head, I'm reminded that society seems to exist in a state of being proportionally offended by something. It's ridiculous that people get up in arms over a white person with dreads or wearing a kimono... And there's a sense of irony that there's a group of people who are bothered enough at the fact that other people are bothered by something to even complain about how ridiculous the said people are.

Sometimes, I wonder if I'm too old for this shit.

llleopard

Established
When the cultural appropriation rears it's head, I'm reminded that society seems to exist in a state of being proportionally offended by something. It's ridiculous that people get up in arms over a white person with dreads or wearing a kimono... And there's a sense of irony that there's a group of people who are bothered enough at the fact that other people are bothered by something to even complain about how ridiculous the said people are.

Sometimes, I wonder if I'm too old for this shit.
Yes-but somehow Japanese or Maori or whoever wearing western clothing is okay. Yet another example of how those who are determined to be offended have more rights than everyone else!

polymoog

Superstar
Divisive, down to the last molecule. That's what it is.. and I'm fairly certain, that is the intent.
good observation. someone described it as the "atomizing of the human race", that is, breaking people down from humanity into a zillion different genders, races, and identities of which all deserve different considerations.
the overall picture, IMO, is to create friction between people who realize its a joke and people who have bought into this completely. the friction can further lead to more restrictive laws and more government. its a great tactic.

elsbet

Superstar
good observation. someone described it as the "atomizing of the human race", that is, breaking people down from humanity into a zillion different genders, races, and identities of which all deserve different considerations.
the overall picture, IMO, is to create friction between people who realize its a joke and people who have bought into this completely. the friction can further lead to more restrictive laws and more government. its a great tactic.
Atomizing.. very accurate. And I agree.
Even worse-- intent has become pretty much meaningless-- no room for forgiveness (not that half of the complaints are even legitimate, but still.. it fosters ongoing resentment which makes it worse).

This one, which I found via your op (i think) is just unbelievable. A bunch of university kids became incensed when their professor showed them (idk why!) Steve Martin's SNL skit, King Tut. Seriously. Incensed. They demanded sensitivity training for students and staff.

KING TUT
BURIED WITH A DONKEY
KING TUT
HE'S MY FAVORITE... (AHEM)

:p

For those of you who are not familiar--

Heh..

llleopard

Established
They wear it because they were conquered by the west which is totally different....
Um not in nz. Nobody made them wear western clothing, Maori is still an official language, and we have a treaty to ensure their rights. Pretty sure Japan hasn't been conquered either

Ambuler

So along the lines of this "cultural appropriation" business...

Is it considered culturally appropriating the white race when a black woman straightens her hair or wears a weave that makes it look like she has straight hair? And if not, how is that different than an white woman wearing dreads or hell, sporting a fro if that's what she wants to do? I'm not talking full on Rachel Dolezal, either. Just talking about wearing a hairstyle. I've never seen or heard anyone talk about when a black person does basically the same thing...

Um not in nz. Nobody made them wear western clothing, Maori is still an official language, and we have a treaty to ensure their rights. Pretty sure Japan hasn't been conquered either
Aren’t the Maori, and not the people who are majority in NZ, indigenous to the land though?

And Japan wasn’t colonized per se but western powers have been influencing their affairs beginning in the 1600s.

Lurker

Star
A bunch of university kids became incensed when their professor showed them (idk why!) Steve Martin's SNL skit, King Tut. Seriously. Incensed. They demanded sensitivity training for students and staff.
Seriously? That really happened? Over some comedy?

justjess

Superstar
The whole cultural appropriation thing is nonsense imo, no one owns any particular style and people have been borrowing from other cultures fashions since the beginning of time. It’s just silly.

If you appreciate a facet of another culture you shouldn’t be barred from participating in it. But let’s not act like this is an entirely new complaint... 20 odd years ago when I was a scrawny white kid listening to and loving hip hop it took another scrawny ass bleach blonde white person being accepted in for me to personally stop getting clowned on and hated for it. They just didn’t call it such a fancy term back then.