cultural appropriation

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
So along the lines of this "cultural appropriation" business...

Is it considered culturally appropriating the white race when a black woman straightens her hair or wears a weave that makes it look like she has straight hair? And if not, how is that different than an white woman wearing dreads or hell, sporting a fro if that's what she wants to do? I'm not talking full on Rachel Dolezal, either. Just talking about wearing a hairstyle. I've never seen or heard anyone talk about when a black person does basically the same thing...
"Is it considered culturally appropriating the white race when a black woman straightens her hair or wears a weave that makes it look like she has straight hair?"
Its considered a sign of the Caucasian-imposed, broken mentality that has plagued African-Americans since the days of slavery. Its perpetuated today by a mass media that rarely provides images of natural African-American females. In many instances, its a sad symbol of the self-hate and state of psychosis that has been imposed on AAs and AA females in particular. I do admit that there are many instances of females (and males for that matter) from all walks of life experimenting with different styles and looks.... thats natural, healthy and if they can pull it off, stylish and cute! People with straight hair may want to try curly hair and vice-versa.... people may wish to experience cultural clothing from different ethnicities and etc. so long as they are done with self-respect and respect for the other culture, I think its a natural and healthy way to connect and learn about each other. But the example you brought into question is obviously something much more sinister.

elsbet

Superstar
Seriously? That really happened? Over some comedy?
Are you mocking me? --.--

lol :p
Theres a link in my previous post that details the entire sordid affair.

Maybe the gmo thing has infiltrated the reefer market.. idk but kids seem awfully uptight these days. :/

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Atomizing.. very accurate. And I agree.
Even worse-- intent has become pretty much meaningless-- no room for forgiveness (not that half of the complaints are even legitimate, but still.. it fosters ongoing resentment which makes it worse).

This one, which I found via your op (i think) is just unbelievable. A bunch of university kids became incensed when their professor showed them (idk why!) Steve Martin's SNL skit, King Tut. Seriously. Incensed. They demanded sensitivity training for students and staff.

KING TUT
BURIED WITH A DONKEY
KING TUT
HE'S MY FAVORITE... (AHEM)

:p

For those of you who are not familiar--

Heh..
We used to breakdance w/this cut and do the "Funky Tut"
Idk the context which the professor played this ditty for the students, but as far as I could tell SM was satirizing white suburban "yuppies" via the juxtaposition of ancient Egypt. Perhaps those snowflake students need to check out a Richard Prior stand-up to get a sense of the cultural barriers comedians were using comedy to shatter through during the 1970s.

polymoog

Superstar
what the leftists and progressives cannot seem to understand:

laughing at the stereotypes and self-deprecation of ones own race eases the tension between races and allows dialogue for understanding.
by making race and racial slurs off limits, that dialogue ends and MISunderstanding grows into what we have today.

Damien50

Star
"Is it considered culturally appropriating the white race when a black woman straightens her hair or wears a weave that makes it look like she has straight hair?"
Its considered a sign of the Caucasian-imposed, broken mentality that has plagued African-Americans since the days of slavery. Its perpetuated today by a mass media that rarely provides images of natural African-American females. In many instances, its a sad symbol of the self-hate and state of psychosis that has been imposed on AAs and AA females in particular. I do admit that there are many instances of females (and males for that matter) from all walks of life experimenting with different styles and looks.... thats natural, healthy and if they can pull it off, stylish and cute! People with straight hair may want to try curly hair and vice-versa.... people may wish to experience cultural clothing from different ethnicities and etc. so long as they are done with self-respect and respect for the other culture, I think its a natural and healthy way to connect and learn about each other. But the example you brought into question is obviously something much more sinister.
Straight hair and weaves are also easier to take care of lol. Natural hair, especially 4C, takes a lot of effort to maintain and isn't just a wash n go affair.

Violette

Star
So along the lines of this "cultural appropriation" business...

Is it considered culturally appropriating the white race when a black woman straightens her hair or wears a weave that makes it look like she has straight hair? And if not, how is that different than an white woman wearing dreads or hell, sporting a fro if that's what she wants to do? I'm not talking full on Rachel Dolezal, either. Just talking about wearing a hairstyle. I've never seen or heard anyone talk about when a black person does basically the same thing...
What you’re referring to is assimilation not appropriation. Black people had to assimilate to white culture to survive as members of society. White people have never experienced that in the same magnitude as POC.
AE0709AC-3390-4B3A-BA8B-1B4AC1AB6467.jpeg
Black girls are taught from an early age that their natural hair is ugly. They still face discrimination at work and/or school for wearing their natural hair because it isn’t professional. So you’re damn if you do, damned if you don’t apparently. Black people started wearing dreads and fros to embrace their blackness and say fuck you to Eurocentric beauty standards. White people cant actually dread their hair they’re just matting it, it’s supposed to just loc in place. I don’t care if white people wear dreads honestly, it almost always looks terrible though.

llleopard

Established
Aren’t the Maori, and not the people who are majority in NZ, indigenous to the land though?

And Japan wasn’t colonized per se but western powers have been influencing their affairs beginning in the 1600s.
Who got here first is still hotly contested :) Maori would like us to accept that they were the first here since about 1200, but there is a lot of evidence from well before that - some people think there were Celts here, others think from Peru (where our kumara sweet potato comes from genetically) but either way, nobody made the Maori give up their flax skirts and dog skins except themselves when they saw the alternatives.
I don't know enough about Japan to argue the point :)

llleopard

Established
Seriously? That really happened? Over some comedy?
Isn't that standard??? In NZ all courses for teachers, nurses, social workers, and darn near everyone these days etc include cultural sensitivity.

Who got here first is still hotly contested :) Maori would like us to accept that they were the first here since about 1200, but there is a lot of evidence from well before that - some people think there were Celts here, others think from Peru (where our kumara sweet potato comes from genetically) but either way, nobody made the Maori give up their flax skirts and dog skins except themselves when they saw the alternatives.
I don't know enough about Japan to argue the point :)
Well isn’t it New Zealanders calling them (the Maori) indigenous and not themselves? And do you think they’d get hired wearing flax skirts and dog skins into interviews? Or would they have to change to the alternatives?

I don’t know much about NZ either but I don’t think it’s the same when a minority has to change to fit into the dominant society as people from the dominant group of society taking on things from the minority. With that said, I also don’t think hairstyles and clothing are the best examples of cultural appropriation either if they are even examples at all...

what the leftists and progressives cannot seem to understand:

laughing at the stereotypes and self-deprecation of ones own race
Like this?

How's this for appropriation? My culture is not a halloween costume!! LOL

I'm caucasian myself but I highly doubt that Vanilla-ISIS are suddenly gonna discover the concept of humility. Kinda throws a wrench in your little scheme, so maybe they should go first.

eases the tension between races and allows dialogue for understanding. by making race and racial slurs off limits, that dialogue ends and MISunderstanding grows into what we have today.
"Eases the tension" LOL Is your brain just plugged directly into Fox News? I assume so. Oh well, at least it's much easier than thinking for yourself. Effortless, actually.

I don't think you're capable of understanding that racism never went away, and that "eases the tension" really refers to placating people who are complaining that their bigotry is no longer as socially-acceptable as it was in the past, so now they're crying over it and playing the victim.

Since when is it "off-limits"? I understand that not everything that gets labeled racism is actually racism, but calling out racists for acting like racists is not going to stop, sorry. We're not going back in time, so get over it already.

Last edited:

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Straight hair and weaves are also easier to take care of lol. Natural hair, especially 4C, takes a lot of effort to maintain and isn't just a wash n go affair.
The black females I know whom sport unnatural straight hair and weaves spend way more time and money to maintain them than the natural gals. However I think wigs are the easiest out, for women of all races.

Damien50

Star
The black females I know whom sport unnatural straight hair and weaves spend way more time and money to maintain them than the natural gals. However I think wigs are the easiest out, for women of all races.
Depends on the style. Some will heat and chemically damage their hair to remain straight which can be done professionally or at home and isn't expensive. Weaves and sow ins are usually expensive if you get them redone frequently but for the more economically challenged they can be maintained for several months. Weaves and stuff are several hours at one time and that's it for a month or more.

Going natural, depending on hair type is either easy or a chore. Washing usually occurs once a month to not strip oils, co washes may be done anywhere from once to four or more times a month, and then there is styling. All that can take several hours especially if there are no natural stylist in the area. It takes a lot of products and trial and error to maintain it and not damage it. Then it has too be put in protective styles every night to ensure ends don't get dry or tangled because then it's back tracking and has to be detangled which can take hours sometimes because it's easier to do during a co wash(blends of oils, creams, or whatever works) because doing it dry will result in split ends, hair pulled out just damage in general.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Depends on the style. Some will heat and chemically damage their hair to remain straight which can be done professionally or at home and isn't expensive. Weaves and sow ins are usually expensive if you get them redone frequently but for the more economically challenged they can be maintained for several months. Weaves and stuff are several hours at one time and that's it for a month or more.

Going natural, depending on hair type is either easy or a chore. Washing usually occurs once a month to not strip oils, co washes may be done anywhere from once to four or more times a month, and then there is styling. All that can take several hours especially if there are no natural stylist in the area. It takes a lot of products and trial and error to maintain it and not damage it. Then it has too be put in protective styles every night to ensure ends don't get dry or tangled because then it's back tracking and has to be detangled which can take hours sometimes because it's easier to do during a co wash(blends of oils, creams, or whatever works) because doing it dry will result in split ends, hair pulled out just damage in general.
The heat and chemical damage you mentioned needs to be maintained daily and the damage it does usually leads to wigs and weaves anyway eh? I was also unaware that weaves lasted for a month.

I dont doubt what you relayed about the natural hair care process, but I also know that the old school homegirls didn't need all of that to maintain their natural hair back in the day and they looked pretty boss back then!

Damien50

Star
The heat and chemical damage you mentioned needs to be maintained daily and the damage it does usually leads to wigs and weaves anyway eh? I was also unaware that weaves lasted for a month.

I dont doubt what you relayed about the natural hair care process, but I also know that the old school homegirls didn't need all of that to maintain their natural hair back in the day and they looked pretty boss back then!
The damage can be fixed but it requires cutting large portions of hair off and starting over. Yeah weaves and stuff are resilient if you wash your hair otherwise odor, flaking, and so on.

The hair styles are different and different needs have been recognised based on hair types. Not all braids and afros which still need upkeep and can be damaged but not blatantly appear so.

@justjess I had long hair until alopecia forced the hair from my young tender 25 year old head and down to my face. Genetics.

polymoog

Superstar
Like this?

I'm caucasian myself but I highly doubt that Vanilla-ISIS are suddenly gonna discover the concept of humility. Kinda throws a wrench in your little scheme, so maybe they should go first.

I don't think you're capable of understanding that racism never went away, and that "eases the tension" really refers to placating people who are complaining that their bigotry is no longer as socially-acceptable as it was in the past, so now they're crying over it and playing the victim.

Since when is it "off-limits"? I understand that not everything that gets labeled racism is actually racism, but calling out racists for acting like racists is not going to stop, sorry. We're not going back in time, so get over it already.

what the hell are you talking about?
do you think that being super sensitive and walking on eggshells about differences in race are going to help things? do you think affirmative action helps by skewing the field in favor of minorities?

by laughing with open dialogue about race, its blows over quick. your way is to complicate it with terms and sensitivity.

by the way, your profile pic should be changed immediately. not all males can have a muscular body, and your profile should be all inclusive of different shapes and sizes. see how dumb that sounds? thats the world of progressives.