Crazy Gnarls Barkley

Machiavelli

Rookie
1571518459140.png
I have always really liked this song, but only when I got older did I actually pay attention to the lyrics and I always think about the theme that I interpret when I hear it. It really seems like an "insider" song, maybe someone who knows too much about the industry interacting with "normal" people, or people who don't know that it can be pretty evil. I know its an older song and some people have probably already analyzed this but I think it's interesting. Also interesting that the cover art features butterfly symbolism. Some screenshots from the actual music video, you can follow along if you want:

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 3.45.53 PM.png
What appears to be a head of baphomet between 2 Cee Lo Greens when he sings "I just knew too much."

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 3.47.05 PM.png
Devil horns, "Ha Ha Ha, bless your soul.."
Men in masks "You really think you're in control" (Also sidenote the other member of Gnarls Barkey, seemingly a nonsensical name for a band as I can't find what the inspiration was, is Danger Mouse. I assume this is homage to him, but still creepy.
Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 3.49.05 PM.png
Gunshot, (sacrifice?), "my heroes had the heart to lose their lives our on a limb"- may referencing famous people who've tried to expose some of the underside of the entertainment industry and ended up losing their lives.
Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 4.04.35 PM.png
Cee Lo's head exploding as he says "and I can die when I'm done." Interesting reference to the manner of dying, a violent way? Not entirely sure what is being expressed.
Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 3.50.32 PM.png

End of song, creepy mouse.
Theres also a lot of centipedes, cockroaches, bats, things people usually find to be disturbing.

So what do you guys think?

lightmightgirl

Veteran
YES! Finally someone said it. Cee lo Green is one of those dudes that know a little too much about the field he works in. He has many personas he play yet it seems authentic as it reflects in his lyrics. For some weird reason I always get very down with this song (low vibrations), but I do believe it is someone saying "hey I know what is going on and here's the song" it def has hidden meanings to the music industry. Cee Lo also became very big on producing his own music in the 2000's so who knows if he did this because he saw the "truth".

sailormoon

Established
Well, you obviously already know this about me, but this song has always given me the creeps. I can’t stand it. I always would turn it off growing up and I still will. I’m very intuitive and pick up on energy strongly which is why I can’t watch anything with demons/mutilation/ but there are certain people or songs i just cant stand either, such as Slipknot. They are too dark. I never liked Cee Lo and can’t stand to look at him. There is an American dad episode where he is the voice of a hot tub that murders people and every song on there freaks me out. It literally gave me nightmares! Definitely some weird shit with him.

Machiavelli

Rookie
I actually love listening to his songs, but they do tend to be dark. .. one song that always gave me reallllly bad vibrations literally since I was a child is “Clint Eastwood” by the Gorillaz. I still to this day, after 20 years, cannot listen to that song. Maybe I will try to analyze it and figure out why it gives me such a “creepy” feeling. Also- I’ll look more into some Cee Lo Green songs since you guys are interested and see what other weird things I can find.

Machiavelli

Rookie
Well, you obviously already know this about me, but this song has always given me the creeps. I can’t stand it. I always would turn it off growing up and I still will. I’m very intuitive and pick up on energy strongly which is why I can’t watch anything with demons/mutilation/ but there are certain people or songs i just cant stand either, such as Slipknot. They are too dark. I never liked Cee Lo and can’t stand to look at him. There is an American dad episode where he is the voice of a hot tub that murders people and every song on there freaks me out. It literally gave me nightmares! Definitely some weird shit with him.
Just realized who you are yes i know you always hated this song and I would try to force you to listen to it (unsuccessfully).

Dalit

Star
View attachment 26489
I have always really liked this song, but only when I got older did I actually pay attention to the lyrics and I always think about the theme that I interpret when I hear it. It really seems like an "insider" song, maybe someone who knows too much about the industry interacting with "normal" people, or people who don't know that it can be pretty evil. I know its an older song and some people have probably already analyzed this but I think it's interesting. Also interesting that the cover art features butterfly symbolism. Some screenshots from the actual music video, you can follow along if you want:

View attachment 26490
What appears to be a head of baphomet between 2 Cee Lo Greens when he sings "I just knew too much."

View attachment 26491
Devil horns, "Ha Ha Ha, bless your soul.."
Men in masks "You really think you're in control" (Also sidenote the other member of Gnarls Barkey, seemingly a nonsensical name for a band as I can't find what the inspiration was, is Danger Mouse. I assume this is homage to him, but still creepy.
View attachment 26492
Gunshot, (sacrifice?), "my heroes had the heart to lose their lives our on a limb"- may referencing famous people who've tried to expose some of the underside of the entertainment industry and ended up losing their lives.
View attachment 26493
Cee Lo's head exploding as he says "and I can die when I'm done." Interesting reference to the manner of dying, a violent way? Not entirely sure what is being expressed.
View attachment 26494

End of song, creepy mouse.
Theres also a lot of centipedes, cockroaches, bats, things people usually find to be disturbing.

So what do you guys think?
I liked the song, but Seal's "Crazy" is better. :) Now, thanks to the comments on the Gorillaz song "Clint Eastwood" I'm curious about it. Did like "Feel Good" but it is creepy, too. Well, their album is called "Demon Days", right? No wonder it's creepy.

Edit: "Clint Eastwood" is definitely creepy. Couldn't listen to it. "Feel Good" has that demonic laugh in it, too, but yet heard it at the gym back in the day half the time and could tune it out.

Last edited:

sailormoon

Established
Yes Machiavelli I remember how much you hated that song! It isn’t pretty weird. And I actually like Feel Good but it is weird and the I cant watch the video. Maybe something with songs in that key they seem to be similar in key, definitely in sharp but you might understand better?