Country COW people: way off subject though

PlaneJane

Established
Years ago, I had a strange thought while observing my sweet little goldfish.
Believe it or not, I had a goldfish that lived for 7 yes 7 years! It only died when I tried to move him to a different state from Colorado. My father in law said it probably had something to do with the difference in pressure.
Anyways.......

My mom once told me to send my question to Readers Digest, but instead I just asked everybody that would listen to me(very few.)
If you were like a fish in an aquarium, and got excited every time a hand appeared over the top of your water, what would you wish it was?

Lots of people said gold nuggets, some said other food related things such as broccoli, or even steak chunks.

Well, 8 weeks ago, 3 cows appeared in my yard and I did everything possible to find their owner
Yes, drove all over, called police, called the sheriff.
Hundreds of dollars later, here are my cows STILL.
No brands
Each bale costs $45-60 each. They eat 1 bale a week. Plus 2 are pregnant, so since it’s winter, I’ve supplemented them with a bit of my horse’s sweet feed and alfalfa hay everyday.
What can I do? How long until these cows are mine?
I have been keeping receipts in case someone ever shows up looking for them, but it’s been nearly 2 months now?
Any advice?

elsbet

Superstar
Hahaha LOL
Thanks Elsbet
Well...
A long time ago, I rented a little house in what I guess you might call the country-- tin roof and all. It was insulated though so you couldn't hear the rain like I expected. :/

Anyway, it was probably the first place (and hopefully the last place) I lived where I found myself having to call in late to work, due to my car being surrounded by COWS.

Seems like they go wherever they please.

I had to call my neighbors to shoo them away. Its funny now, but at 22, I could have cried from embarrassment. :p

Last edited:

PlaneJane

Established
T
In the wild, goldfish live for 25 years. And the oldest goldfish ever found was 43 years old. In captivity they live for 5-10 years :(
7 is in the normal range for captive goldfish and your fish probably would have lived longer than that.
Fair enough, but I’m no fish expert, I only just loved and cared about him.
You could take the one to the butcher if you have a large enough freezer, assuming they are not too old. I think they get tough as they get older.

Find a local sale barn and take them to auction. You can get more money for the pregnant ones. I’m sure you could find a friend with a trailer to haul them for you.
I actually would like to keep them, as I’ve named them long ago, and they come running to me when I call a specific phrase.

I don’t know if I can sell them yet, I don’t want to get in trouble, but if I were to sell the little one, I would get enough money to buy a little stock trailer that I’ve been wanting for like 5 years now.
It’s important to have a trailer at least if you keep a horse or two. The areas that are home to me have the most devastating fires. (Not California, I’m not one of those fancy people)

PlaneJane

Established
You should keep them as your pets. Or maybe stop feeding them so they leave your property and go back to roaming freely. Maybe they're wild cows?
There is nothing to eat here in the winter, I don’t have any guilty feeling about taking them in as my own, I think I’ve already put 200 pounds each on them. They were pathetic skinny. I’m gonna keep them unless someone finally comes, like the sheriff and demands to confiscate them. I feel that I’ve put in enough money already, that I own their future babies straight out.
Good lesson though, raising cattle for profit is IMPOSSIBLE unless your parents left you 100 acres in their will, at least, like I said, you have to feed 3 cows one of those huge round bales per week!

polymoog

Superstar
There is nothing to eat here in the winter, I don’t have any guilty feeling about taking them in as my own, I think I’ve already put 200 pounds each on them. They were pathetic skinny. I’m gonna keep them unless someone finally comes, like the sheriff and demands to confiscate them. I feel that I’ve put in enough money already, that I own their future babies straight out.
Good lesson though, raising cattle for profit is IMPOSSIBLE unless your parents left you 100 acres in their will, at least, like I said, you have to feed 3 cows one of those huge round bales per week!
depending on the country in which you live, the cows might have a brand mark on their hind quarters, either done chemically or with a branding iron. if there is a mark, i would suggest taking a photo of it and inquiring with the state dept of agriculture or a livestock vet. perhaps there is a local cattle association who would recognize the brand. whoever is the owner should have had (at least in some countries) to have their cattle checked regularly especially if they are milkers.
i doubt (my opinion) that the cows could have wandered farther than a 15 mile radius.

elsbet

Superstar
You should keep them as your pets. Or maybe stop feeding them so they leave your property and go back to roaming freely. Maybe they're wild cows?
Are there Wild Cows where you live, mecca?

Roaming freely? :D

mecca

Superstar
Are there Wild Cows where you live, mecca?
Yeah... I’ve never come across any but they do exist in the United States. It’s only natural that there are some small populations of wild cows around the world that haven’t been owned/used as livestock (or cows that have previously been owned but escaped and formed a wild population).
Check out this link for more info: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle#Feral_cattle
Roaming freely?
Yes... PlaneJane’s cows were obviously roaming freely before she took them in. No one claimed the cows so I think it’s safe to say that they were roaming around on their own.

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
Yeah... I’ve never come across any but they do exist in the United States. It’s only natural that there are some small populations of wild cows around the world that haven’t been owned/used as livestock (or cows that have previously been owned but escaped and formed a wild population).
Check out this link for more info: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle#Feral_cattle

Yes... PlaneJane’s cows were obviously roaming freely before she took them in. No one claimed the cows so I think it’s safe to say that they were roaming around on their own.
lol.. yes, unless the aliens deposited them in her yard, they were likely roaming freely.

I was kidding, mecca. Check out the article you linked, though-- I don't think there's anything really natural about that very unfortunate situation in Cali. :/

elsbet

Superstar
If that information is correct, I'm really going to have to go with snipers for the dogs and remove rules and regulations to let the tribes take the cattle.
Fabulously interesting comment. The government reps were unapologetically disgusted by them. I think the dogs pose an immediate threat-- snipe them, regardless. But what could they do with untamed cattle? Or rather, feral cattle. The bulls must be enormous.