Coronavirus

free2018

Star
Word is lack of migrants and agricultural workers means mass food shortages coming soon. They are getting us ready.
It's worse than that, because trucking industry people report the ports being full with six months to a year of goods. The shortages are man-made. The trucks bring 50 percent of the supplies on purpose is what one store manager told me.

Thunderian

Superstar
A couple things to feel good about:

Ventilator manufacturers are going into wartime-like production schedules.

A five-minute test for coronavirus is being launched next week.

American manufacturing kicked Hitler’s ass, and it’s going to kick Covid’s ass, too. I believe that.

In my province of British Columbia, and elsewhere, social distancing is slowing the spread of the virus. Slowing down the spread is the best thing we can do, because it gives the health care systems time to absorb the cases.

No one was prepared for this, so it kind of got freaky for awhile. I never thought when I started this thread that we would actually still be taking about this, let alone that it would have had such an effect on our lives.

I believe Americans are in good hands with Dr’s Birx and Fauci, and I also believe that Trump trusts their judgement. I don’t think we should worry about America going back to normal social and work schedules until it’s the right time.

Until then, try and ignore the negative, the hateful, the ignorant, and the paranoid. Turn off the news. If something happens that you need to know, someone will probably tell you.

free2018

Star
Not just where one resides, but everywhere.

My heart hurts for Spain.

And, no, I've not switched sides or anything. I'm still pro-life, but I'm pro-life for everyone. Every life matters--unborn, young, middle-aged, old, etc. Call me a bleeding heart. I'll wear that proudly.
Spain has had some success with treating cough-19.
I know of one acquaintance who is recovering from a severe case.
He is doing well.

Thunderian

Superstar
True, but that's back when America actually had factories and Americans actually made things. Not so much now. The Soviet manufacturing just as much did him in. Once they got production going, they became unstoppable.
You can bet that Americans are actually going to be making things again after this, I tell you what.

Make America Make Things Again!

Aero

Superstar
Definitely turn off the news. And be calm. I know that's difficult, everyone is confused and frustrated.

Sometimes paranoia is a good thing though. Like how much information gets missed because everyone is too worried about what people think of them? Or how much gets missed through constant self-aggrandizing?

I'm not trying to rant, but I find it odd how obsessed VC members are about consistency and clarity. It's like, hello? Our leaders have given us nothing close to consistency and clarity. Unless of course, you count being consistently terrible, and greedy a good thing. Maybe some of us do think to be terrible and greedy is good, and who they really identify or empathize with is exposed.

What I say goes for everyone though. If the time comes to take a real shot at the power structure, and you no show. I'm not going to dunk on you, but It will be going on in your permanent record.

Truthteller

Veteran
I think at this point it is pretty obvious that China with a population of 1.3 billion is lying about stastistics with only 3000 deaths. What a joke. No one believes those numbers anymore. Even Spain with 40 million people has overtaken China. 919 deaths in Italy yesterday, an utter humanitarian disaster and more total cases than China. I think China has hundreds of thousands if not a million deaths. Don’t believe it when they say they have the virus under control. They may have contained the first wave, but the second wave is on the way if not already here.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Event 201

Published on 4 Nov 2019

Selected moments from the Event 201 pandemic tabletop exercise hosted by The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in partnership with the World Economic Forum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation on October 18, 2019, in New York, NY. The exercise illustrated the pandemic preparedness efforts needed to diminish the large-scale economic and societal consequences of a severe pandemic. Drawing from actual events, Event 201 identifies important policy issues and preparedness challenges that could be solved with sufficient political will and attention. These issues were designed in a narrative to engage and educate the participants and the audience. For more information, visit: http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org

EVENT 201 IS A FICTIONAL EXERCISE AND DISEASE

A mysterious tweet by Tom Hanks...
(Not even interesting, just boring details, a game of Gin Rummy and some carefully placed numbers)

B978B106-0711-49FA-B29F-6E36E1A0A4EB.jpeg

Gin Rummy has an interesting objective

The basic game strategy is to improve one's hand by forming melds and eliminating deadwood.

A Corona Typewriter ?!
(Seriously? Taking a heavy, easily broken typewriter on holiday?!)

And what about the Vegemite?!

(“Laying it on a bit thick!”)

10B03408-C1E9-4BCF-B66A-B848D4305C24.jpeg

In April, a 115g jar of VEGEMITE spread makes supermarket history in Australia by becoming the first product to be electronically scanned at a checkout. It was scanned at Woolworths in Chullora, NSW and the price was 66 cents. The product is still on display at the Woolworths head office in NSW.

Last edited:

Wigi

Veteran
"This shouldn’t be happening. For years they’ve run down the healthcare system. The politicians will pay for this!"

"six lawsuits have been filed against the prime minister and current and previous health ministers, both medical doctors, on charges ranging from unwillful harm to involuntary manslaughter and endangering the lives of others."

The lawsuits comes from a group of 600 doctors plus 243000 persons signed an online petition supporting the lawsuit against the French prime minister. The anger is real and people wants them to be judged for act of treason after Agnes Buzyn the former health minister, explained that she lied for 2 months as she was told to fake the reality of the situation until it was too late.

"the French government downplayed the disease and deliberately withheld critical information from the public."

"The government told them at the end of February that the masks would arrive. At the beginning of March, when they understood that the masks were not coming, they started hearing from the government that masks were not really needed"

Sometimes I wonder if i'm not sleeping because reality is stranger than fiction.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
"This shouldn’t be happening. For years they’ve run down the healthcare system. The politicians will pay for this!"

"six lawsuits have been filed against the prime minister and current and previous health ministers, both medical doctors, on charges ranging from unwillful harm to involuntary manslaughter and endangering the lives of others."

The lawsuits comes from a group of 600 doctors plus 243000 persons signed an online petition supporting the lawsuit against the French prime minister. The anger is real and people wants them to be judged for act of treason after Agnes Buzyn the former health minister, explained that she lied for 2 months as she was told to fake the reality of the situation until it was too late.

"the French government downplayed the disease and deliberately withheld critical information from the public."

"The government told them at the end of February that the masks would arrive. At the beginning of March, when they understood that the masks were not coming, they started hearing from the government that masks were not really needed"

Sometimes I wonder if i'm not sleeping because reality is stranger than fiction.
I think the objective has been twofold -

1: Take insufficient measures early on to allow the disease to spread

2: Undermine faith in politicians

By these two, a population will yearn for normality at any cost, lament the lack of global governance and yield many freedoms in the aftermath.

intoxifaded

Rookie
Oh, brother. *eye roll* I've been telling everyone who will listen since the end of January that we need to prepare for this virus and stock up; I was met with "that's not going to get big here", "I'm not worried", "It's no worse than the common flu".

If people were under the impression that an article would have better prepared them for the commotion this turned out to be, they'd have been prepared without the article telling them to. Everyone loves to think that it's someone else's fault that they were unprepared when the reality is that we've all been exposed to the same headlines, some of us just noticed enough of a difference to pay attention to them.

intoxifaded

Rookie
Event 201

Published on 4 Nov 2019

Selected moments from the Event 201 pandemic tabletop exercise hosted by The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in partnership with the World Economic Forum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation on October 18, 2019, in New York, NY. The exercise illustrated the pandemic preparedness efforts needed to diminish the large-scale economic and societal consequences of a severe pandemic. Drawing from actual events, Event 201 identifies important policy issues and preparedness challenges that could be solved with sufficient political will and attention. These issues were designed in a narrative to engage and educate the participants and the audience. For more information, visit: http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org

EVENT 201 IS A FICTIONAL EXERCISE AND DISEASE

A mysterious tweet by Tom Hanks...
(Not even interesting, just boring details, a game of Gin Rummy and some carefully placed numbers)

View attachment 34089

Gin Rummy has an interesting objective

The basic game strategy is to improve one's hand by forming melds and eliminating deadwood.

A Corona Typewriter ?!
(Seriously? Taking a heavy, easily broken typewriter on holiday?!)

And what about the Vegemite?!

(“Laying it on a bit thick!”)

View attachment 34090

In April, a 115g jar of VEGEMITE spread makes supermarket history in Australia by becoming the first product to be electronically scanned at a checkout. It was scanned at Woolworths in Chullora, NSW and the price was 66 cents. The product is still on display at the Woolworths head office in NSW.
This guy is so damn creepy. Or whoever runs his accounts. Imagine? Without social media we wouldn't know he was like this.