Coronavirus

Haich

Superstar
The rate of spread and infection could definitely point to an airborne virus...I mean let's be honest, they don't know much about it and haven't had time to properly conduct and conclusively publish research explicitly stating how it works...

Very scary and unnerving and could explain the lockdown and panic...

A colleague who's 7 months contracted it
- allegedly- she hasn't been officially tested by the hospital as she isn't a priority...she's been home for 11 days and seems fine...

Lisa

Superstar
Wiggle room?

Cuomo admits his decision to quarantine everyone at once was 'not the best strategy' and that he is 'working on' release of coronavirus antibody test that will allow people to go back to work

Maes17

Superstar
How would you spread it in quarantine. Honest question.

I’m pretty sure whatever strain Italy has is the same strain hitting nyc and nj.
If you’re locked down with kids and a spouse or sibling who are asymptotic.
When you go out and buy necessities you risk exposure to the virus.

Just a lot that can go on

Maes17

Superstar
Wiggle room?

Cuomo admits his decision to quarantine everyone at once was 'not the best strategy' and that he is 'working on' release of coronavirus antibody test that will allow people to go back to work
The size of NYC, I think it was wise to actually quarantine.
This thing is super contagious. I just think the actual virus is mingling with pneumonia and the flu in severe cases which is why these symptoms are changing.

It still is flu season in the US.

Lisa

Superstar
This is bad...but trump is all for making America Great again...perhaps he can get things rolling again..that’s if they can get American‘s back to work sooner rather than later..and those checks aren’t going to offer the relief that some people think it will...what‘s $1200 to out of work people? Does that make a house payment, car payment AND buy groceries?

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin calls record three million new unemployment claims 'NOT RELEVANT' because 'the president is protecting people' with checks in three weeks - as crippled economy's jobless total reaches 3.3 million

Lisa

Superstar
The size of NYC, I think it was wise to actually quarantine.
This thing is super contagious. I just think the actual virus is mingling with pneumonia and the flu in severe cases which is why these symptoms are changing.

It still is flu season in the US.
Yet..the gov just said it wasn’t a good idea...

Maes17

Superstar
I've heard that, once someone is sick with CV (COVID-19), that it can take as little as 2 weeks to get over it or 2 months (for those critical care, severe cases). If so, no wonder it's still a problem. US isn't going to be reopened by April 12th. Think I heard this from Dr. John Campbell's (British retired nurse w/Ph.D.) channel? I like that he focuses on the whole world and trends.

My dad tried to reassure me with "It's not too bad where we are" (yet cases have significantly increased daily) because too much of the news and frankly checking in here triggers my anxiety. I care about the whole world, not just where I live. So when I see people where I am walking about in public carrying on as normal, it's a bit disconcerting. They could be risking their lives just because they want to use a public park yet hope there's not swarming of the local authorities driving around and saying "stay at home" like in the UK, but yet again maybe there should be? We have "stay at home" signs on major highways and obviously people are ignoring them.
It could be worse. Just continue to do what you do.
Do not be harsh on yourself for what’s out of your control. Control the things you can and take preventative measures to stay safe. Like any other crisis this will pass.

I’ll say this though. I’ve learned a lot from you in learning to care about others a lot more. This message board shows there is a lot of good and a lot smarts and questioning out there.

I wonder if its a difference between UK army bases and US bases in the UK.

Or maybe I just wasn't there long enough to get a good representation of what was happening.

I was down near the Salisbury Plain training areas.

Last year we saw an Osprey come over a few times! That was exciting, especially in the dark when the rotors look like green circles.
I live closer to RAF Mildenhall and then just a few miles away is RAF lake health and a bit further is RAF Marham.

Mildenhall has ofspray, tankers, Hercules, galaxies and a number of the big ones, they are constant, lake health, has prominently f15's sometimes f18s and they have been very quiet, Marham had tornados until we replaced them with the f22's and I've not seen one of them, it just seems to be the tankers and galaxies, so I'm guessing it's supplies and vehicles they are being in, wish we weren't in lock down I'd go and have a drive down

UnderAlienControl

Superstar

Last edited:

Vixy

Star
LOL

Ya gotta love people.

justjess

Superstar
And the United States now has more cases then anywhere else on earth. We just surpassed Italy and China. Italy also just surpassed China.

Thank you president trump.

Could be it’s lasting longer on surfaces etc.
Figure there are something like 40 mutations of this little booger.

The supposed original strain started in italy, not wuhan and that right there perhaps ravaged italy with a super bug.

There’s a lot of factors that can lead into this considering a lot of carriers are asymptotic.

Something to remember is italy did this in good intention. This was before the lockdown. What’s to say maybe some are asymptotic and still spreading in quarantine etc. There’s just a lot of tangibles right now. Something a lot of us are trying to figure out.

And if we’re dealing with a super bug, chances are even those quarantined are still spreading it
Like the tweet! :)

Dalit

Star
It could be worse. Just continue to do what you do.
Do not be harsh on yourself for what’s out of your control. Control the things you can and take preventative measures to stay safe. Like any other crisis this will pass.

I’ll say this though. I’ve learned a lot from you in learning to care about others a lot more. This message board shows there is a lot of good and a lot smarts and questioning out there.
You are so sweet, @Maes17 . Thank you.

By the way, gonna start really prioritizing strength training. Now I'm still losing weight and not trying to. Can't seem to sit still and doing too much cardio. Am eating more but need more of a caloric surplus. Eating almond and peanut butter regularly and that used to make me gain weight. Life is weird. So weird lately.

Frank Badfinger

Superstar
Not sure if this has been posted already.
Newsweek - In the study, the scientists observed a "significant" reduction in viral load in the patients treated with hydroxychloroquine, and that the effect was reinforced by azithromycin, Medscape reported.

From the article:
So what do we currently know about the drug? This week, researcher Didier Raoult from Aix-Marseille University in France, one of the main proponents for using hydroxychloroquine to treat infection with the novel coronavirus—known as SARS-CoV-2—released encouraging results of a preliminary trial involving a total of 36 COVID-19 patients.

According to a draft paper—which has not yet been accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed scientific journal—six of these patients were asymptomatic, 22 had upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and eight had lower respiratory tract infection symptoms.

Between early and mid-March, Raoult and his team treated 20 of these patients with 600 milligrams of hydroxychloroquine daily in a hospital setting. Depending on their symptoms, an antibiotic known as azithromycin was also added to the treatments. This antibiotic is known to be effective against complications from bacterial lung disease. The 16 remaining patients were not given the drug as a control.

In the study, the scientists observed a "significant" reduction in viral load in the patients treated with hydroxychloroquine, and that the effect was reinforced by azithromycin, Medscape reported.

In fact, after six days, 70 percent of the treated patients were considered cured, meaning that the virus was no longer detected in samples taken from them, compared to 12.5 percent of the control group patients. Furthermore, all six patients who were treated with both hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin tested negative for the virus after six days.

While encouraging, it is important to note that this is an unpublished preliminary study, so the results should be viewed with caution. The sample size is small, and the study was non-randomized, meaning people were allocated to different interventions using non-random methods. The study was also "unblinded," meaning that all parties—i.e. the medical staff, patients and researchers—were aware of the treatments the participants received.

Last edited:

We were offered to join an EU scheme where we would benefit from their bulk buying powers and get ventilators shipped to British hospitals fast...

Boris Johnson DECLINED and said we are no longer part of the EU and will approach Dyson, a fucking hoover company which have never made ventilation systems intended for hospital use before....

I think I'm going to kill someone today. I cannot believe this man is our prime minister...
This could be the reason, Haich. Needless to say, I'm not sure:

"Status of COVID-19
As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCID group made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) is also of the opinion that COVID-19 should no longer be classified as an HCID.

The need to have a national, coordinated response remains, but this is being met by the government’s COVID-19 response.

Cases of COVID-19 are no longer managed by HCID treatment centres only. All healthcare workers managing possible and confirmed cases should follow the updated national infection and prevention (IPC) guidance for COVID-19, which supersedes all previous IPC guidance for COVID-19. This guidance includes instructions about different personal protective equipment (PPE) ensembles that are appropriate for different clinical scenarios."
(source)

UnderAlienControl

Superstar
The supposed original strain started in italy, not wuhan and that right there perhaps ravaged italy with a super bug

Last edited: