Coronavirus Café

Thunderian

Superstar
Not hot spices but things like cumin, ginger, garlic, coriander etc... we have this spice mix called Xawassh with a ton of spices (no chilli!) and it is usually the base of most sauces and curries.

The good thing about Somali food is that a chilli sauce is served on the side so you add it to your food to taste. I'm not a huge fan of chilli so I rarely add it to my food...

I think as a chef, you may like xawassh spice mix as it goes great with lamb, chicken, beef...pretty much anything...

Have a look and if you're interested maybe you could try making it at home with some fresh herbs and spices. Since all we have now is time lol may as well experiment.

I’m going to make this.

Dalit

Star
Tried this again minus the spinach but sauteed all in apple cider vinegar and a little bit of dijon mustard. Much better! :)
And improved upon this even more with a cinnamon and apple cider vinegar reduction. Almost like a dessert lunch.

Thunderian

Superstar
I made beef stew tonight. Potatoes, carrots, onion, rutabaga, peas and chunks of sirloin. I took a pic but it just looks like fancy barf, so you’re out of luck.

I’m making tapioca pudding now.

This is a meal my mom would have made when I was a boy. :)

JoChris

Superstar
My freezer needs to be emptied. We bought too much bread several weeks ago.
That is my excuse for sausage rolls tonight (seriously, why are the boxes so large?) and toasted sandwiches if we are still hungry.

justjess

Superstar
It is beautiful out today so we are grilling steaks and asparagus and I’ll probably make some sort of noodle/roll/potato with it, not sure what yet.

It would be great if the picture option worked

JoChris

Superstar
I found 2 spare Woolworths chicken kievs in the fridge freezer and so I will be cooking them tonight.

I have made a basic egg potato salad for two people (2 hard boiled eggs, 2 boiled baby potatoes, shallots and coleslaw dressing).
I will have tomato, cube cheese, black olive, avocado and lettuce salad and Woolworths' premade coleslaw too.

Thunderian

Superstar
I found 2 spare Woolworths chicken kievs in the fridge freezer and so I will be cooking them tonight.

I have made a basic egg potato salad for two people (2 hard boiled eggs, 2 boiled baby potatoes, shallots and coleslaw dressing).
I will have tomato, cube cheese, black olive, avocado and lettuce salad and Woolworths' premade coleslaw too.
I’m jealous that it’s potato salad season where you are.

Dalit

Star
I give up. I cropped the picture, etc. Still says too large. Nope, no iPhone bc I broke. :p

It's a lovely spaghetti with zucchini spiralized into noodles. Add 1/2 cup no sugar added tomato and basil sauce, carmelized vidalia onions, a few mushrooms of the non-magic variety, and 3 oz 93/7 lean ground beef. Healthy and delicious.

JoChris

Superstar
Now, that's something I haven't heard in a long time.
Yeah, we have two choices of supermarkets in Australian smallish towns' standard shopping centres - Coles or Woolworths. Alternative supermarket chains aren't normally available.
Did you live in Australia?

---
leftovers tonight. I made a slower cooker pork and vegetables curry + mexican rice several days ago.
It is sort of a modified curry dish because my husband doesn't like hot curries.

These details are provided for sake of parents especially who are sick of usual dinners but want to make their children try different flavours. I have used asian noodles in past too. This recipe was modified from usual stir fry method because I love my slow cooker.

I use approx 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 chopped onion to slow cooker pot. I let the onion get hot and softened (approx half an hour).
Then I add 500 g chopped pork (uncooked for slow cooker), half can coconut cream, mild curry paste (to taste), ginger paste, a moroccan spice paste, chicken stock cube, and curry tree leaves to pot and let it cook on slow setting for 4-5 hours.

Then I add half a bag of frozen mixed Chinese vegetables to slow cooker pot and let the mixture cook for another 2 hours.
If too runny, I add a bit of cornflour mixed with cold water to pot, keep stirring until all mixed and thickened, and leave lid off pot until excess liquid has evaporated.

mexican rice is 1 and 1/2 cups boiled jasmine rice, chopped fried onion and garlic, curry powder, soy sauce and beaten egg all fried together at last stage. I have added shallots and frozen peas sometimes when cooking onion sometimes in past.
My recipe makes 4-5 serves (very large 4, 5 average). So I had 3 left overs in total.
At end I added chilli paste to my own curry serving because I thought it was a bit bland.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
Yeah, we have two choices of supermarkets in Australian smallish towns' standard shopping centres - Coles or Woolworths. Alternative supermarket chains aren't normally available.
Did you live in Australia?

---
leftovers tonight. I made a slower cooker pork and vegetables curry + mexican rice several days ago.
It is sort of a modified curry dish because my husband doesn't like hot curries.

These details are provided for sake of parents especially who sick of usual dinners but want to make their children try different flavours. I have used asian noodles in past too. This recipe was modified from usual stir fry method because I love my slow cooker.

I use sesame oil and chopped onion to slow cooker pot. I let the onion get hot and softened (approx half an hour).
Then I add 500 g chopped pork (uncooked for slow cooker), half can coconut cream, mild curry paste (to taste), ginger paste, a moroccan spice paste to pot and let it cook on slow setting for 4-5 hours. Then I add half a bag of frozen mixed Chinese vegetables to slow cooker pot and let the mixture cook for another 2 hours.
mexican rice is 1 and 1/2 cups boiled jasmine rice, chopped fried onion and garlic, curry powder, soy sauce and beaten egg all fried together at last stage.
My recipe makes 4-5 serves (very large 4, 5 average). So I had 3 left overs in total.
At end I added chilli paste to my own curry serving because I thought it was a bit bland.
That sounds like a lot of work...I was thinking soup and grilled cheese sandwiches tonight..Haha!

JoChris

Superstar
That sounds like a lot of work...I was thinking soup and grilled cheese sandwiches tonight..Haha!
It usually makes leftovers though - it means now both boys have left home 3 individual meals are in the freezer for a lazy day!