Confederate Soldier Statues...

Oh, it is true. Here is another of many sources:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/08/23/espns-decision-to-pull-announcer-robert-lee-from-game-sparks-outcry.html

It DOES sound exactly like a parody from The Onion because of the absurdity of ESPN's decision. Can this really be the reality we now live in? Life in the US has now become a parody of itself.
No I meant the article itself, not the story it's based on. I can't tell if the article is making fun of militant right-wing zombies or if it was written by one. Lol

Lady

Star
No I meant the article itself, not the story it's based on. I can't tell if the article is making fun of militant right-wing zombies or if it was written by one. Lol
Actually, the author took aim at left-wing fascism in an obvious way-but I think you knew that.

Lady

Star
Shouldn't you religious folks be advocating for the removal of every single statue that idolizes something other than your god? It must be called the "Bible belt" for fun, because nobody in the South is actually reading it.

And I get that this isn't really a religious discussion. But from a psychological health perspective, it's very unhealthy to idolize anyone. So let me put it like this, let's say Robert E Lee is your hero. And let's pretend he's actually alive and you can meet him.

But the good general doesn't even glance at you. Doesn't shake your hand, and basically doesn't give a shit about you. You are left disappointed. Because this is what happens when 99.9% of people meet their idols!
Who are you calling "religious?"

Aero

Superstar
Who are you calling "religious?"
Just speaking generally. I see plenty of people up in arms if someone dresses up like Baphomet. So clearly that's not ok. But why is it ok to idolize Colonel Sanders from KFC? Or any figurehead or brand.

Lady

Star
Just speaking generally. I see plenty of people up in arms if someone dresses up like Baphomet. So clearly that's not ok. But why is it ok to idolize Colonel Sanders from KFC? Or any figurehead or brand.
I think the same thing concerning graven images, etc.

The Zone

Star
There you go Aero with that "you people" again. Have you actually met your, er, idol? Most rational people walk by any statue not giving it a second thought. A statue is incapable of doing you harm if you don't allow it to. Also, you are confusing all statues as if they were meant to be idols instead of memories and history.. Idols mean different things to different people and I see few that are worshiped in modern time. Show me where one single person in this thread said Robert E. Lee was their hero as you infer. You are entering pancake bunny territory on your assumptions.

Addendum -- and who idolizes Colonel Sanders? Show me a link or someone who does. It is a symbol of a business. People do not eat their crappy chicken because of him...they just like greasy food that has been processed from frankenchikins'

Bottom line is an idol and a statue are not the same thing.

Last edited:
Actually, the author took aim at left-wing fascism in an obvious way-but I think you knew that.
You don't understand what I meant. If it's not an arch parody disguised as a "serious" article, it might as well be. It's impossible to tell for sure. Who even writes like that for real? I thought it was funny and I chuckled, but was that the intention? No idea.

Lady

Star
More importantly-considering other news sources have covered this topic in a more politically correct manner-what do you have to comment about the actual fear of triggering illogical citizens who may have had to listen to an Asian sports announcer-with the very Asian surname of Lee-commentating a football game?

More importantly-considering other news sources have covered this topic in a more politically correct manner-what do you have to comment about the actual fear of triggering illogical citizens who may have had to listen to an Asian sports announcer-with the very Asian surname of Lee-commentating a football game?
I seriously doubt ESPN really gives a sh!t about "triggering" people. They only care about ad revenue. It's far more likely that ESPN is merely attempting to protect that particular employee from being memed to death and turned into a running joke all over social media. The whole thing is silly all around, yet that doesn't stop people from losing their minds over it. Pass the popcorn.

mecca

Superstar
I seriously doubt ESPN really gives a sh!t about "triggering" people. They only care about ad revenue. It's far more likely that ESPN is merely attempting to protect that particular employee from being memed to death and turned into a running joke all over social media. The whole thing is silly all around, yet that doesn't stop people from losing their minds over it. Pass the popcorn.
Too bad that they brought more attention to it by doing that.

Too bad that they brought more attention to it by doing that.
The discordian side of me finds it hilarious watching people completely lose their minds over something so ridiculous and trivial. You can't blame ESPN for all the people who are choosing to overreact to their decision, and it's not as if they are naive and didn't know what would happen. The only choices were to either pull the announcer from the game and just deal with the inevitable backlash, or throw him under the bus. You can't really fault them for their decision.

Aero

Superstar
There you go Aero with that "you people" again. Have you actually met your, er, idol? Most rational people walk by any statue not giving it a second thought. A statue is incapable of doing you harm if you don't allow it to. Also, you are confusing all statues as if they were meant to be idols instead of memories and history.. Idols mean different things to different people and I see few that are worshiped in modern time. Show me where one single person in this thread said Robert E. Lee was their hero as you infer. You are entering pancake bunny territory on your assumptions.

Addendum -- and who idolizes Colonel Sanders? Show me a link or someone who does. It is a symbol of a business. People do not eat their crappy chicken because of him...they just like greasy food that has been processed from frankenchikins'

Bottom line is an idol and a statue are not the same thing.
Did I come off as condescending? My bad.

Statue and Idol are literally synonyms. And maybe you don't understand the origin of life sized statues. They became popular in ancient times, and they weren't making statues of their pet dogs for fun. They made statues to represent their gods, their kings you know? Things they worshiped.

And Idk why KFC popped into my head. Cause I like chicken? Of course!

The Zone

Star
It is a part of history and a remembrance of the times when it was built. And Aero, please quit acting like anyone doe not get the basics of history. Do you know what the lion man from the Swabian Alps in Germany was? Statues like Buddah and many others have been idols but people worshiped the religion and not his likeness. What about all the unusual statues of warriors in China...were they all idols? Anyhow, here is KFC Jesus for you since you dig chicken.

63927_532490603457658_695277530_n-34084_592x389.jpg

Aero

Superstar
I shall refer to Colgate on those last questions. I think it was he who brought up that the act of making a statue is idolization. But I'm starting to wonder about other forms of art. A painting fits into that category too.

Unless you are a psychic, which probably a lot of people are. You aren't going to learn anything from a Statue. Unless someone is there to teach you about it, but if they are. Why do you need the stupid statue? You don't right. It's either there for aesthetics or to be worshiped.

I never said people can't have statues for aesthetics. I find them to be dull, but that's not the point at all. The point is it's unhealthy to have unrealistic expectations of people. It's unhealthy not to teach people the whole truth.

polymoog

Superstar
Shouldn't you religious folks be advocating for the removal of every single statue that idolizes something other than your god? It must be called the "Bible belt" for fun, because nobody in the South is actually reading it.
!
what makes you think that the religious folks on these boards are not pro- first amendment?

Aero

Superstar
what makes you think that the religious folks on these boards are not pro- first amendment?
Well people here aren't down with Satanism and most cult stuff. So why would I think this is a first amendment safe haven? Ok I wouldn't call it the opposite of a free speech safe haven. But don't try to tell me people here are making free speech a top priority.

The Zone

Star
Well people here aren't down with Satanism and most cult stuff. So why would I think this is a first amendment safe haven? Ok I wouldn't call it the opposite of a free speech safe haven. But don't try to tell me people here are making free speech a top priority.
I think if you would admit to it...Christians for whatever reason are higher on your radar than are others. There are Muslims here, agnostics, cult leaders (sorry,lol), and some satanists. Bottom line is you seem to have a hang up with Christians, especially if you equate the entire board to them.

Aero

Superstar
I think if you would admit to it...Christians for whatever reason are higher on your radar than are others. There are Muslims here, agnostics, cult leaders (sorry,lol), and some satanists. Bottom line is you seem to have a hang up with Christians, especially if you equate the entire board to them.
Well I was raised a Christian. If I was raised a Muslim than I would be just as hard on them. As a "guild leader". I learned the importance of policing my own team. You know, it's not the fun job. But someone has to do it. And I think the Christians here are cool. They don't irritate me very often. I just feel like the Christians who raised me dropped the ball. So yeah I'm cynical.