Confederate Soldier Statues...

Hubert

Established
I am a Southerner and I am in favor of removing the statues. It is the chief event in the formation of our regional identity this is true, but it is something that should be taught in history class, not something to celebrate.

polymoog

Superstar
I am a Southerner and I am in favor of removing the statues. It is the chief event in the formation of our regional identity this is true, but it is something that should be taught in history class, not something to celebrate.
you need not celebrate a monument. monuments are primarily for remembrance.

(lets skip the whole war of northern aggression debate-- its not about that).

polymoog

Superstar
the real reason the statues need to go is because they are a reminder of southern pride, rebellion, and states rights. these have to be removed from the collective memory. it stands directly in the way of the elites agenda. people cannot be allowed to remember such times. by playing the racism card, the elites do just this.

polymoog

Superstar
with that line of thinking, should we yank down the vietnam memorial?

Etagloc

Superstar
I am a native Southerner as well.

The statues should go.

Those people fought for white supremacy and slavery and I am a proud Southerner but anyone who wants to spin matters otherwise is deluded.

They shouldn't be celebrated and the Confederate flag shouldn't be celebrated anymore than Hitler and the Swastika should be celebrated.

Lurker

Star
Then the statue of Gen. Sherman @ Central Park (NY) needs to go too?

Etagloc

Superstar
Even to destroy a statue is a symbolic statement. And to destroy statues of Confederate generals is a statement I support. Those statues deserve to go. And the civil war was horrible but the Confederates were not heroes and the war ended slavery. I just wish slavery would have been abolished through peaceful means.

Damien50

Star
the real reason the statues need to go is because they are a reminder of southern pride, rebellion, and states rights. these have to be removed from the collective memory. it stands directly in the way of the elites agenda. people cannot be allowed to remember such times. by playing the racism card, the elites do just this.
Beat me to it. We're taught to be immersed in the racist narrative but the Confederate States attempted something that will never occur again via secession. I hate slavery, not cause I'm colored, but it was cruel and they weren't the only slaves in the world but we let this take focus from things like what the Confederate States tried.

Georgia guide stones can stand but the generals that tried to protect their home lands and way of life, albeit wrong, must go lol. Tyranny prevails and all anyone sees is racism everywhere lol.

Hubert

Established
Then the statue of Gen. Sherman @ Central Park (NY) needs to go too?
Yeah, fuck that guy, get his statue gone too ;)

Though the south really was the "bad guy" in the civil war. They were fighting to preserve a way of life that required them to keep other people in bondage. I am for removing the statues in my state, if New Yorkers feel the need to remove their statues as well that is their call.

polymoog

Superstar
Those people fought for white supremacy and slavery and I am a proud Southerner but anyone who wants to spin matters otherwise is deluded.

They shouldn't be celebrated and the Confederate flag shouldn't be celebrated anymore than Hitler and the Swastika should be celebrated.
wow. talk about being historically brainwashed.

polymoog

Superstar
Yeah, fuck that guy, get his statue gone too ;)

Though the south really was the "bad guy" in the civil war. They were fighting to preserve a way of life that required them to keep other people in bondage. I am for removing the statues in my state, if New Yorkers feel the need to remove their statues as well that is their call.
how about removing george washingtons statues? wasnt he a slave owner? isnt that your logic?

Etagloc

Superstar
wow. talk about being historically brainwashed.
You're probably not even from the South, how are you gonna tell me about the South? I was born and raised there. I'm not white. The Confederates fought for slavery and white supremacy. I'd be crazy to support them.

The Southerners who are for all that are the racist white rednecks. Hell no, I'm not for that.

Let's go to the South and ask the Black Southerners how they feel about the Confederates.

Etagloc

Superstar
since everyone seems to be ignorant about this topic, the war was fought over states rights, NOT slavery. lincoln did NOT care about the slaves.
did anyone here read gone with the wind?
Bullshit. Yes, it was over "states' rights". It was over "states' rights to own slaves".

I don't know the South from reading a novel, I know it from being born and raised there.