Cold, loveless world

Glad 2 know

Veteran
Not a whole lot of people pay attention to the elderly but guess what, we're all gonna be seniors one day. This breaks my heart. Love of money over love of neighbor is what's been going on and not many pay attention. Have to bring this up, it could happen to a family member or anyone. Eviction of the elderly and disabled. WHERE are they supposed to go???
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/some-nursing-homes-are-illegally-evicting-elderly-and-disabled-residents-who-cant-afford-to-pay/ar-BBXvcDC?li=BBnb7Kz

Glad 2 know

Veteran
I don't have to say anything don't sure about it..
Please at least think about it Mania. These people have lived their lives with much turmoil I'm sure and they deserve to have their last years of peace and tranquility but unfortunately, that is not the case. It makes me sad that this society in particular makes it acceptable to chuck away your elderly relatives just because they're an "inconvenience".

Lisa

Superstar
My fil is going to have to go into assisted living at some point. He won’t be able to pay so we are seeing what his options would be. There definitely are some that you have to be able to pay to live there but there are other options with going on Medicare to pay for it.

It seems that people need to research this info before they need a home so they know what they need to do when the time comes. I think that would be more helpful then trying to figure things out when something happens...then something like getting kicked out of a home can happen. I don’t see why the home has to have people who can’t pay...how would they make their bills or pay their staff if they don’t get paid?

Glad 2 know

Veteran
My fil is going to have to go into assisted living at some point. He won’t be able to pay so we are seeing what his options would be. There definitely are some that you have to be able to pay to live there but there are other options with going on Medicare to pay for it.

It seems that people need to research this info before they need a home so they know what they need to do when the time comes. I think that would be more helpful then trying to figure things out when something happens...then something like getting kicked out of a home can happen. I don’t see why the home has to have people who can’t pay...how would they make their bills or pay their staff if they don’t get paid?
Thank you sweetie for your input, but you forgot to read the article.
I hope that your FIL is covered when the time comes. In our culture we take care of our elderly, will all our heart.

Lisa

Superstar
Thank you sweetie for your input, but you forgot to read the article.
I hope that your FIL is covered when the time comes. In our culture we take care of our elderly, will all our heart.
I read enough of it darling...

Lisa

Superstar
Enough doesn't mean the whole thing ;) to thoroughly understand.
What am I missing? The family finds her in a bad way at home, takes her to a nursing home to recover. She can’t pay, they kick her out. Yet they later say she does qualify for Medicare, they don’t know what to do with her.

After that someone talks about people should be able to stay whether they could pay or not...I felt like I got the gist of it all after that.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
What am I missing? The family finds her in a bad way at home, takes her to a nursing home to recover. She can’t pay, they kick her out. Yet they later say she does qualify for Medicare, they don’t know what to do with her.

After that someone talks about people should be able to stay whether they could pay or not...I felt like I got the gist of it all after that.
I'm sorry but I'm not going back and forth explaining something that I did read and you didn't.

Lisa

Superstar
I'm sorry but I'm not going back and forth explaining something that I did read and you didn't.
Ok, but that was the gist of the article wasn’t it? I think I read at least to the middle of the article...could be that they turned it around and said people should know before you get in this position.

Todd

Star
Please at least think about it Mania. These people have lived their lives with much turmoil I'm sure and they deserve to have their last years of peace and tranquility but unfortunately, that is not the case. It makes me sad that this society in particular makes it acceptable to chuck away your elderly relatives just because they're an "inconvenience".
My wife and I own and run a business to help take care of elderly people whor are an inconvenience to their relatives. We often get to see the inner workings of family dynamics with many of our clients.

It's amazing to me how many adults are willing to compromise the care of their elderly parents so that their share of the inheritance is not compromised.

Aero

Superstar
The world is cold and loveless when you don't live within your means. That's the real kicker here. None of the bleeding hearts will be there if any of us go into massive debt. In fact, going into massive debt is the whole point of our economic system.

I hardly have any debt, but most importantly I don't need much to be comfortable. It's not so much a plan for old age, it's just a philosophy.

Todd

Star
The world is cold and loveless when you don't live within your means. That's the real kicker here. None of the bleeding hearts will be there if any of us go into massive debt. In fact, going into massive debt is the whole point of our economic system.

I hardly have any debt, but most importantly I don't need much to be comfortable. It's not so much a plan for old age, it's just a philosophy.
So do you have a plan for old age? Have you even looked into how much it costs for elderly care?

Glad 2 know

Veteran

I need to add that many things that are cold come even though people live within their means. I rally hate debt but you are taught that you're no one unless you have debt (credit). That's why you get student loans shoved in kids' faces to get them started.
But even if you live within you means there's inflation. What we put away right now for retirement will have its worth diminished GREATLY with the way things are going. look at housing right now, the prices have gone way up and they're not coming down. People that were able to afford living in a place now find themselves struggling just to keep a roof over their head. So to be on the safe side you would have to put away about a million dollars? 'cause who knows how much housing, taxes, food, gas, healthcare etc will cost 20, 30, 40 years from now.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
My wife and I own and run a business to help take care of elderly people whor are an inconvenience to their relatives. We often get to see the inner workings of family dynamics with many of our clients.

It's amazing to me how many adults are willing to compromise the care of their elderly parents so that their share of the inheritance is not compromised.
Thank you for sharing and doing a very good thing :) It's sad all around to justify the abandonment of the elderly. This world encourages all things cold and heartless. Things are all good as long as you're getting a nice lump of money, no matter how you get it :(