Christians: Who Is "that Prophet'?

JoChris

Superstar
I want to ask Christians on this board who they believe "the prophet" mentioned in John 1:19–21 is -

Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” He confessed,and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.” And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.” (John 1:19–21)

And Pharisees asking him:

“Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?” (John 1:25).
Next time go to Biblegateway and look at whole chapter to see surrounding verses. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+1&version=KJV

John 1:29 The next day John seeth JESUS coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.
35 Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples;

36 And looking upon JESUS as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!
37 And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.

Damien50

Star
I was letting you know that I didn't intend to argue with you about it, I just wanted to know what you thought .. So when the Pharisees asked about three seperate men in John 1:25: "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?”, They were mistaken because two of those men according to Christian belief are the same person. Interesting.
Peter clarified in Acts

It's not my speculation - it is from Islamic basis. Almighty God tells us that he revealed the Torah to Moses and Gospel to Jesus, So my basis is in those revelations, parts of which are in your Bible. I think you should look into the relationship between Moses and Jethro before claiming there is no biblical basis. You would probably be more correct in saying 'doctrinal basis' anyways, because Jews are also people of the Scripture and they distinguished between "christ" and 'that prophet' whereas Christians don't.
I was correct in saying biblical basis. Peter clarified their error in Acts.

oh I'm not being either I assure you. I believe what God tells us in the Quran and I have a right to express my beleifs just as you do without being called a liar or ignoramus. Muhammad's description fits perfectly in the previous scriptures and his message is the same as that of Moses and Jesus: The Lord our God is one.
You have the right to express whatever you want but so do I.

You know they say every good lie is mixed with truth but in regards to Muhammad fitting the description of Deuteronomy and John, no that's just willfully being Lisa, it's not him but Jesus.

Though the water of my God from your perspective be tainted, the fluoride levels aren't so high to prevent you from taking a sip where you please

John the baptist sees Jesus coming and says Behold the lamb of God, yet when he is imprisoned, he sends his disciples to ask Jesus if he is the coming one they are waiting for .. sounds as if John the Baptist distinguished between the Messiah and another prophet just as the Jews did. I don't see how the Messiah and 'that prophet' could be considered the same person and I wanted to hear from Christians on board how they understood it. No reason to get snarky about it D. - thanks for your explanations.

Damien50

Star
John 1:48-49 KJV
Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. [49] Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

The King of Israel, the prophet of Deuteronomy 18, the Messiah, the Lamb of God, the Mediator, the Good Shepherd, Son of Man, Son of God, the Only Begotten etc

There's no reason he can't encompass all these titles especially when he is all of them. There's no exclusivity clause in the bible.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/study/parallel/paral19.cfm

rainerann

Star
“Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?” (John 1:25).

You have three people here. The first is the Christ who will be called Immanuel according to the prophet Isaiah (7:14).

Then, you have Elijah who was taken up into Heaven and is supposed to return according to Malachi 4:5).

Then, you have the prophet. What happened was during the Exodus, the people were scared by the presence of God. They said they didn't want to be in the presence of God and preferred for Moses to speak to them instead and tell them what God would say (Exodus 20:19).

So the Lord confirmed with the people that He would send a prophet to them who would speak for Him before they were to enter the land.

"The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your fellow Israelites. You must listen to him. For this is what you asked of the Lord your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said, “Let us not hear the voice of the Lord our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die.”

The Lord said to me: “What they say is good. I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him." (Deuteronomy 18:15-18).

So what they are asking John is if he is Christ, Elijah or a prophet that is sent to them like Samuel, Malachi, or Isaiah. At this point in time, the people have gone a while without a prophet and have not had much direction, which a prophet would bring. They are basically just asking if John is someone who will speak for God the way the prophets were supposed to do. It is not talking about a future prophet. It is in reference to the process that was established for the people to receive direction from God. They were supposed to receive direction from the prophet because the people during the time of Moses were scared of the presence of God.

The words of the prophet would have more authority than a priest, which is why you will often read that prophets had some unique assignments that seemed to contradict the law like when Hosea returned to his wife after committing adultery. The prophet was the leader of the priesthood, which is why most of the prophets were also priests like Moses, Samuel, or Ezekiel.

Therefore, what they are referring to is not something they are expected to be fulfilled through a prophecy. They are expecting guidance from the Lord through the prophet he will send like he sent Isaiah, Jeremiah, or Zechariah. It is not a future prediction of anything.

Lisa

Superstar
Regards to the other point you made about "the prophet like unto Moses' being Jesus, I believe it refers to none other than Muhammad. The brethren of the Israelites (Descendants of Isaac) were the Ishmaelites (descendants of Ishmael). If it was in reference to a prophet from the Israelites, Moses would have said: 'From amongst yourselves.'
Half brethren...Ishamael's mother was a slave wasn't she?
Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall NOT be an heir with the son of the free woman, that's pretty clear language...

Karlysymon

Superstar
John the baptist sees Jesus coming and says Behold the lamb of God, yet when he is imprisoned, he sends his disciples to ask Jesus if he is the coming one they are waiting for .. sounds as if John the Baptist distinguished between the Messiah and another prophet just as the Jews did. I don't see how the Messiah and 'that prophet' could be considered the same person and I wanted to hear from Christians on board how they understood it. No reason to get snarky about it D. - thanks for your explanations.
John the Baptist had a moment of doubt (despite the evidence at the baptism) because he couldn't understand why Christ would let him stay behind bars. Christ, Himself, would suffer the same fate-death. Thats why, before the crowd, He affirmed John's identity and message and sent a message to John: Blessed is he who doesn't fall away on account of Me. Matt 11:1-15

John the Baptist had a moment of doubt (despite the evidence at the baptism) because he couldn't understand why Christ would let him stay behind bars. Christ, Himself, would suffer the same fate-death. Thats why, before the crowd, He affirmed John's identity and message and sent a message to John: Blessed is he who doesn't fall away on account of Me. Matt 11:1-15
Thanks for explaining your position without insulting mine <3. May God guide you @Karlysymon.