Christians: Who Is "that Prophet'?

I want to ask Christians on this board who they believe "the prophet" mentioned in John 1:19–21 is -

Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” He confessed,and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.” And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.” (John 1:19–21)

And Pharisees asking him:

“Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?” (John 1:25).

Damien50

Star
I want to ask Christians on this board who they believe "the prophet" mentioned in John 1:19–21 is -

Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” He confessed,and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.” And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.” (John 1:19–21)

And Pharisees asking him:

“Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?” (John 1:25).
Jesus.

The Jews are asking John the Baptist, not Jesus, who he is.

Deuteronomy 18:5-6,15 KJV
[15] The Lord thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

It had to be an Israelite and not one of Ishmael. Brethren referring to Israelites.

Violette

Star
Jesus, definitely not Mohammad
“Then He said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! Ought not the Christ to have suffered these things and to enter into His glory?” And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:25-27‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
“For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?””
‭‭John‬ ‭5:46-47‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

You knew the answer to that question before you ask it did you not?
I know it's Muhammad but the Chrsitians don't believe that. That is why I am wondering who they think it is. The Jews questioned John the Baptist - is he the Christ? (who is Jesus) or Elijah? (whom Jesus says is John the baptist) or is he the/that Prophet? Who is that prophet to the Christians? They asked about three seperate people that they were expecting.

Damien50

Star
I know it's Muhammad but the Chrsitians don't believe that. That is why I am wondering who they think it is. The Jews questioned John the Baptist - is he the Christ? (who is Jesus) or Elijah? (whom Jesus says is John the baptist) or is he the/that Prophet? Who is that prophet to the Christians? They asked about three seperate people that they were expecting.
Yeah and they were asking John who he(John) was. There is no basis to even assume it was Mohammad unless you ignore context and claim corruption and truth in the same breath

Jesus.

[15] The Lord thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

It had to be an Israelite and not one of Ishmael. Brethren referring to Israelites.

I can vouch for this
the word used was similar to the arabic word ummati (someone from the nation).
The muslims have badly twisted deteronomy 18:18

however....the point still standard
they mentioned the messiah, elijah AND the Prophet ie 3 people.

However what nobody out there realises is that
after the jews rejected Jesus they were collectively in disobedience
hence the temple was destroyed
and they've not returned to God collectively ie in accepting Jesus as the mssiah.

in such circumcstances, whatever the jews 'desire' will be given to other nations and to their enemies.
So prophet Mohammad SAW is a kind of pseudo-messiah born from the rise of jewish messianicism during the sassanid/byzantine conflict which led to the establishment of the jewish commonwealth in jerusalem.

there's a reason Isaiah 42 mentions Sela (Medina) and the 'tents of kedar' (mecca) and a reason why the jews celebrated the arrival of the prophet SAW in medina.
until they realised he was not one of them but an arab.
then they got pretty pissed off.

Damien50

Star
I can vouch for this
the word used was similar to the arabic word ummati (someone from the nation).
The muslims have badly twisted deteronomy 18:18

however....the point still standard
they mentioned the messiah, elijah AND the Prophet ie 3 people.

However what nobody out there realises is that
after the jews rejected Jesus they were collectively in disobedience
hence the temple was destroyed
and they've not returned to God collectively ie in accepting Jesus as the mssiah.

in such circumcstances, whatever the jews 'desire' will be given to other nations and to their enemies.
So prophet Mohammad SAW is a kind of pseudo-messiah born from the rise of jewish messianicism during the sassanid/byzantine conflict which led to the establishment of the jewish commonwealth in jerusalem.

there's a reason Isaiah 42 mentions Sela (Medina) and the 'tents of kedar' (mecca) and a reason why the jews celebrated the arrival of the prophet SAW in medina.
until they realised he was not one of them but an arab.
then they got pretty pissed off.
Though Jesus is the Jewish prophet/messiah. The Jews were expecting Elijah or the messiah or the prophet of Deuteronomy though Christ encompassed two of the three and that Elijah was supposed to return before the messiah.

Jesus.

I know they were asking John - that's what I said in the OP. They already asked him if he was the Messiah/Christ - he said he wasn't. Then they asked him if he was Elijah - he said 'no', (however, twice elsewhere in the Gospels, Jesus says that John is Elijah ...) After that they wanted to know if he was "that prophet" I know they were referring to the prophet mentioned in Deut.18, whom they knew as someone other than the Messiah, that is why they asked about three different prophets.

I didn't ask you to argue about it with you, I just wondered if maybe Christians thought it was someone else since Christ was the first one mentioned in their question.

Regards to the other point you made about "the prophet like unto Moses' being Jesus, I believe it refers to none other than Muhammad. The brethren of the Israelites (Descendants of Isaac) were the Ishmaelites (descendants of Ishmael). If it was in reference to a prophet from the Israelites, Moses would have said: 'From amongst yourselves.'

Damien50

Star
I know they were asking John - that's what I said in the OP. They already asked him if he was the Messiah/Christ - he said he wasn't. Then they asked him if he was Elijah - he said 'no', (however, twice elsewhere in the Gospels, Jesus says that John is Elijah ...) After that they wanted to know if he was "that prophet" I know they were referring to the prophet mentioned in Deut.18, whom they knew as someone other than the Messiah, that is why they asked about three different prophets.

I didn't ask you to argue about it with you, I just wondered if maybe Christians thought it was someone else since Christ was the first one mentioned in their question.

Regards to the other point you made about "the prophet like unto Moses' being Jesus, I believe it refers to none other than Muhammad. The brethren of the Israelites (Descendants of Isaac) were the Ishmaelites (descendants of Ishmael). If it was in reference to a prophet from the Israelites, Moses would have said: 'From amongst yourselves.'
It wasn't an argument, you asked, I answered.

As far as the prophet an Isnaelite that's your own speculation with no biblical basis to support it.

Deuteronomy 18:5,15 KJV

Ishmael wasn't around the tribes which is who Moses was addressing in Deuteronomy 18.

If it was in reference to a prophet from the Israelites, Moses would have said: 'From amongst yourselves.'
I don't know what makes you so sure of that actually I'm pretty sure that Moses wrote and repeated it correctly. Though like I said you have no biblical basis to claim it to be anyone but Jesus. Peter knew it was Jesus in acts and was frustrated with the Jews because they couldn't recognize Jesus as the prophet and messiah.

Acts 3:17-22 KJV
And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it , as did also your rulers. [18] But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. [19] Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; [20] And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: [21] Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. [22] For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
Peter knew, John the Baptist knew, the Jews didn't, but the former two knew who Moses was speaking of.

As I said, you have no biblical basis to support Muhammad being that prophet. But the bible is corrupt so maybe it's all interpolation.

I don't know if you're being deceitful, willfully ignorant or what but you'd have an easier time denouncing the divinity of Christ instead of trying to insert your prophet where he doesn't fit.

Beloved

Rookie
“Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:45‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The hebrew word Ummi means 'my mother'
I call my own mum 'ammi' (we're pakistani).
The word Ummati means 'my nation' ie sharing one mother.

the translation read 'bretheren' meaning the same thing ie ummati.

it had nothing to do with arabs and it is wrong for muslims to twist this one.
i can believe, without falling for lies and poor translations

as you know in Arabic Umm means mother
ummah=nation referring to muslims as one nation
the word here was hebrew 'ummati'
that is all there is to it.
we are not christians man, we don't need to lie

what you also have to understand is the source of this argument was an ahmadi source....and muslims just saw it and didn't know the difference, went along with it.

here is the original source to many of the bad interpretations muslims now have
http://aaiil.org/text/books/others/abdulhaqvidyarthi/miws/muhammadworldscriptures1usa/muhammadworldscriptures1usa.pdf
written by an Ahmadi
it was written by
Maulana Abdul Haq Vidyarthi

Maulana Abdul Haq Vidyarthi (1888 – 1977), who bore the title vidyarthi due to his extensive knowledge of the Hindu Vedas, was a scholar of the major religions of the world and their languages, and a missionary of Islam of the Lahore Ahmadiyya Movement. The environment of multi-faith debate, polemic and discussion, prevailing in the Indian subcontinent in the early 20th century, greatly influenced and interested him. This was one reason why, in 1907, he joined the Ahmadiyya Movement at the hands of its Founder, Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, as this Movement had a broad, universalistic outlook towards other religions, regarding all of them as originally revealed, a fact first disclosed by Islam.

he claimed pretty much all the messianic prophecies as referring to Mohammad
and he did this because by denying Jesus as the messiah, he could just say
'jesus went off to kashmir, had kids, died' or whatever crap they invented
oh and 'mirza ghulam=the messiah'
get it?
don't fall into traps

It wasn't an argument, you asked, I answered
I was letting you know that I didn't intend to argue with you about it, I just wanted to know what you thought .. So when the Pharisees asked about three seperate men in John 1:25: "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?”, They were mistaken because two of those men according to Christian belief are the same person. Interesting.

As far as the prophet an Isnaelite that's your own speculation with no biblical basis to support it.

Deuteronomy 18:5,15 KJV

Ishmael wasn't around the tribes which is who Moses was addressing in Deuteronomy 18.
It's not my speculation - it is from Islamic basis. Almighty God tells us that he revealed the Torah to Moses and Gospel to Jesus, So my basis is in those revelations, parts of which are in your Bible. I think you should look into the relationship between Moses and Jethro before claiming there is no biblical basis. You would probably be more correct in saying 'doctrinal basis' anyways, because Jews are also people of the Scripture and they distinguished between "christ" and 'that prophet' whereas Christians don't.

I don't know if you're being deceitful, willfully ignorant or what but you'd have an easier time denouncing the divinity of Christ instead of trying to insert your prophet where he doesn't fit.
oh I'm not being either I assure you. I believe what God tells us in the Quran and I have a right to express my beleifs just as you do without being called a liar or ignoramus. Muhammad's description fits perfectly in the previous scriptures and his message is the same as that of Moses and Jesus: The Lord our God is one.

Yahda

Veteran
One thing I noticed is that you never hear the other Muslims make such claims and also you are the only Muslim here who make the claim that the Holy Bible is irrelevant because God replaced it with the Quran.* Yawnn*

The HB is so irrelevant but at the same time you want to believe Muhammad was mentioned in this so called corrupted book ? Like give it a rest. Not even the Muslims support your claims.

One thing I noticed is that you never hear the other Muslims make such claims and also you are the only Muslim here who make the claim that the Holy Bible is irrelevant because God replaced it with the Quran.* Yawnn*

The HB is so irrelevant but at the same time you want to believe Muhammad was mentioned in this so called corrupted book ? Like give it a rest. Not even the Muslims support your claims.
The OP question was directed to Christians but what is your take on it Yahda? Were the Jews expecting three distinct prophets as the verse in John portrays them questioning John the baptist? Or is that verse irrelevant to you because it is in the NT?

Yahda

Veteran
The OP question was directed to Christians but what is your take on it Yahda? Were the Jews expecting three distinct prophets as the NT has them questioning John the baptist? Or is that verse irrelevant to you because it is in the NT?
We have had MANY prophets since Moses. Too many to count. Prophets are still being raised up as written in the word. Hell we still await Elijah.

With that being said who is about to sit around worried about Muhammad ? It's like trying to find Muhammad in the stars. You will just have to accept that Muhammad is irrelevant to those that follow the Holy Bible. He is Ishmael and as stated in psalms, Ishmael conspired against the children of TMH !