Christianity is NOT (just) the "White Man's Religion"!

pumkinspice

Established
My advice is to communicate with God directly, without mediation of books or priests or preachers or whatnot. He's the ultimate source of all knowledge and truth, not a corrupted ancient book or its numerous interpretations.
I guess what my question really is, if Truth is decided on what each individual's compass of right or wrong, where do the differences end?

We are all made differently, different likes and dislikes. What tempts one man won't tempt another. For everyone to read the Bible and keep what they like, and throw out what they don't will all be different based on our make up.

God is above all of that. It's not fun, we might not think it's fair, but there is one universal law for all to live by, as intended.

Also, the prophets and disciples did communicate with God directly..Again, not to insult, but it seems you just don't agree with what was told to them.

Bacsi

Star
I entirely agree with half of what you say ;-)

By the sounds of it, nobody in your culture has made the sadly all too common claim that their faith was part of being the "authentic" one for their people group. It is of course a nonsense argument because you should accept or reject something based on whether it is true or not!

In the UK and I think particularly in the Americas, the argument of "resisting colonialism" by following religion along ethnic lines actually has traction with some!

I think the reason why you have taken exception to the speaker is because he is addressing an issue that has never even been a question to you?
Missed this post. Unfortunately, I must say about my country that the differences based on ethnicity or religion are nowadays a huge thing... Since the advent of the Americanized culture about 30 years ago. I should have said "used to be", and is still so to some degree. Changing fast. Divide and conquer.

Bacsi

Star
I guess what my question really is, if Truth is decided on what each individual's compass of right or wrong, where do the differences end?

We are all made differently, different likes and dislikes. What tempts one man won't tempt another. For everyone to read the Bible and keep what they like, and throw out what they don't will all be different based on our make up.

God is above all of that. It's not fun, we might not think it's fair, but there is one universal law for all to live by, as intended.

Also, the prophets and disciples did communicate with God directly..Again, not to insult, but it seems you just don't agree with what was told to them.
I disagree. Most people without ideological glasses will agree on good and bad stuff in the Bible. Especially if they understand its history...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I disagree. Most people without ideological glasses will agree on good and bad stuff in the Bible. Especially if they understand the complete history and context....
I can't speak for most people but for me, I have been a Christian for about 35 years now, and the more I understand of the history, culture and deeper meanings of the various books and themes of Bible, the less these "issues" are an issue for me.

pumkinspice

Established
I disagree. Most people without ideological glasses will agree on good and bad stuff in the Bible. Especially if they understand the complete history and context....
Idk, I think it goes way deeper than just agreeing on one thing..most people will agree it's wrong to cheat, or smoke, etc and still do it. I think there is a force behind the lack of will to follow or believe the Bible that will keep people from either agreeing or applying it to their life.

Bacsi

Star
P.s. Try this perspective on for size, @Bacsi - it's related to the first point and It's something I believe we have discussed before:

In reality, for most people I think it's very hard to be impartial towards an ideology and disregard the actions of its followers. Humans are highly emotional beings. If you burn your lips trying to drink hot milk, you might develop a hatred of milk.

I see the value of actions above words. As it goes, you can deceive one person all the time, you can deceive all people once, but you can't deceive everybody all the time.

Bacsi

Star
Idk, I think it goes way deeper than just agreeing on one thing..most people will agree it's wrong to cheat, or smoke, etc and still do it. I think there is a force behind the lack of will to follow or believe the Bible that will keep people from either agreeing or applying it to their life.
The good commandments in the Bible are tainted by the wrong ideas in it. The unfortunate effect is that people get angry at the evil things in the Bible and turn their backs at all of its contents. Don't throw away the baby with the bathwater. There's examples of profound wisdom and truth in the Bible, like in any religious works of the old days from anywhere in the world. Same goes for Hindu scriptures, ancient Chinese legends, Tengriist tales or Celtic myths etc. Our ancestors where great. Not always right, but trying to seek God best they knew how.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
In reality, for most people I think it's very hard to be impartial towards an ideology and disregard the actions of its followers. Humans are highly emotional beings. If you burn your lips trying to drink hot milk, you might develop a hatred of milk.

I see the value of actions above words. As it goes, you can deceive one person all the time, you can deceive all people once, but you can't deceive everybody all the time.
If you are interested in digging into some if the more challenging topics, I got a lot of knowledge from the mine of information, by elder brother in the Lord, Chuck Missler.

https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/chuck-missler.3699/

You can more or less guarantee that if you find a verse that is controversial, Chuck will have considered it head on!

Bacsi

Star
If you are interested in digging into some if the more challenging topics, I got a lot of knowledge from the mine of information, by elder brother in the Lord, Chuck Missler.

https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/chuck-missler.3699/

You can more or less guarantee that if you find a verse that is controversial, Chuck will have considered it head on!
One can talk their way out virtually of any difficulty (where there is a will, there is a way). It's not just a verse or two that are controversial. It's whole ideas that are in the Bible. They're against God. A passage or two can be forgiven, but not the fundamental dogmas of the worldview presented in the Bible. It's serious.

One example being the idea of punishment in hell. It's not of God and is untrue.

Last edited:

Bacsi

Star
I can't speak for most people but for me, I have been a Christian for about 35 years now, and the more I understand of the history, culture and deeper meanings of the various books and themes of Bible, the less these "issues" are an issue for me.
It's good. Yes, certain things in old literature are difficult to swallow for the modern person. I'm from somewhat ancient culture which is actually in some ways very close to the ancient western Semites (patriarchal pastoral nomadic people living in clans etc). So some things that have to be explained in great detail to a Westerner, I immediately understand very well without any introduction. Even our legends are similar to the Biblical ones, such as our people coming from one man with three sons, thus the three big tribes, or keeping genealogies, the way we name people or topological places etc. etc. Lots of stuff is very similar.

What can I say. If one beleives in something, they'll always find more and more substantiation for their beleifs.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
One can talk their way out virtually of any difficulty (where there is a will, there is a way). It's not just a verse or two that are controversial. It's whole ideas that are in the Bible. They're against God. A passage or two can be forgiven, but not the fundamental dogmas of the worldview presented in the Bible. It's serious.

One example being the idea of punishment in hell. It's not of God and is untrue.
I believe in taking both types head on. Truth has nothing to fear from investigation.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
It's good. Yes, certain things in old literature are difficult to swallow for the modern person. I'm from somewhat ancient culture which is actually in some ways very close to the ancient western Semites (patriarchal pastoral nomadic people living in clans etc). So some things that have to be explained on great detail to a Westerner, I immediately understand very well without any introduction. Even our legends are similar to the Biblical ones, such as our people coming from one man with three sons, thus the three big tribes, or keeping genealogies, the way we name people or topological places etc. etc. Lots of stuff is very similar.

What can I say. If one beleives in something, they'll always find more and more substantiation for their beleifs.
As in...

https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/confirmation-bias-and-faith.1405/

Bacsi

Star
I'm curious to how you found your god and what his truth is?
God is one. There's no such thing as your or my God. I didn't find him. He found me the day I was created many centuries ago. My spirit was. I don't have to find him. He's always near. All one has to do is talk to him. He always responds.

pumkinspice

Established
God is one. There's no such thing as your or my God. I didn't find him. He found me the day I was created many centuries ago. My spirit was. I don't have to find him. He's always near. All one has to do is talk to him. He always responds.
No, we don't talk to/follow the same God. Still, it was interesting to hear your answer.