Christianity and Anti-intellectualism:

DavidSon

Star
Don't forget to read the Apocryphon of James.

Edit: By the way, our conversation should get a specified thread since it's not exactly addressing anti-intellectualism.
Thank you I was about to ask what other literature related to James you recommend. I've seen references to Shepherd of Hermas, the Secret Book, and Pseudo-Clementine writings. Any others?

Well at least the discussion is intellectual. We're mostly discussing facts. For me history, an understanding of the past, is tied into my faith. We are blessed to have access to writings from hundreds or thousand of years ago, from cultures all around the world. Reading awakens the intellect, our critical thought-process. It's disappointing when religious minded people put little effort into study (of even their own faith). Turn off the TV and pick up a book- you will never go back!

I agree though we're bringing up several discussions that can be continued later. All Christian talk leads to the Faith vs Works thread lol. I started your writing "The Knowledge of Evil", and hope to comment in the GOT thread. I plan on continuing research into what we discussed and will post again. Salut!

I'll give you the credit that you've at least given a valid argument here, although I don't agree with your initial claims.

So as to your argument there, I'm intrigued to as whether you believe it to be (via the aforementioned) a doctrinal synthesis of the two (plus others) or a refutation of the two's contexts in which the quotations source from? via it's reference.
I could somewhat see it going both ways.
Good question. It's neither the synthesis of the two nor a refutation of either in my opinion. It's just the truth independent from their respective contexts.

God forgive me for this analogy, but it's like complimenting a chef on his mashed potatoes while remaining silent on his undercooked meat and vegetables.

Thank you I was about to ask what other literature related to James you recommend. I've seen references to Shepherd of Hermas, the Secret Book, and Pseudo-Clementine writings. Any others?

Well at least the discussion is intellectual. We're mostly discussing facts. For me history, an understanding of the past, is tied into my faith. We are blessed to have access to writings from hundreds or thousand of years ago, from cultures all around the world. Reading awakens the intellect, our critical thought-process. It's disappointing when religious minded people put little effort into study (of even their own faith). Turn off the TV and pick up a book- you will never go back!

I agree though we're bringing up several discussions that can be continued later. All Christian talk leads to the Faith vs Works thread lol. I started your writing "The Knowledge of Evil", and hope to comment in the GOT thread. I plan on continuing research into what we discussed and will post again. Salut!
Go in with an open mind. I don't mean to offend with what I write even though some may find it disturbing.

Haven't read these pseudo-Clementine writings you've mentioned. I would recommend to read as much as you can or are willing. gnosis.org has a strong collection of apocryphal translations and supplementary commentary and explanations, although by no means take them for granted. I myself like to contemplate on the sayings gospels like the one of Thomas, as well as the one of Philip (probably my next endeavour) to unravel the meaning based on scripture. It's a fun game that you can take with you when opening the Bible. Even Genesis becomes a blast to read once you start seeing metaphorical patterns.

Either way, hope to hear back from you!

As a Christian you repent from sin...a pagan celebration would count as something to repent from and not do. Unfortunately, people don’t consider that easter and christmas are pagan anymore..I don’t celebrate them anymore.
If you remove the tributes to the gods, it's no longer a pagan festival. It's just a winter or spring festival. If you then start celebrating Christianity... Well, it becomes a Christian festival. Festivals are religious, if there's a religous significace to it. Since Christmas hasn't been pagan since before the rise of Christianity... It isn't pagan.