China holds appeal hearing for Canadian sentenced to death

Thunderian

Superstar
It's a little tacky of China to sentence this guy for fifteen years, and then up it to a death sentence because he's Canadian and Justin Trudeau's the worst prime minister Canada's ever had named Trudeau, and that's really saying something, trust me. Where was I? Oh yeah, China boosted this drug trafficker's sentence to death after Canada arrested some Chinese national for something. I feel a bit more sympathy for the guy because that would be a pretty awful thing to have to have happen to you, but at the same time, you've got to figure that when you break the law in China, your life is in play.

China holds appeal hearing for Canadian sentenced to death
A Chinese court held an appeal hearing Thursday for a Canadian who was sentenced to death for drug smuggling in a case that has deepened a diplomatic rift between the two countries.​
The intermediate-level court in northeastern Liaoning province said Robert Schellenberg's sentence would be announced at an unspecified date.​
Convicted of playing a central role in a methamphetamine smuggling operation, Schellenberg was initially sentenced to 15 years in November, only to be handed the death sentence at a hastily-scheduled January retrial.​
That came after Canada arrested Meng Wanzhou, chief financial officer of Chinese telecom giant Huawei, on a U.S. extradition warrant in December. Days later, two Canadians — Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor — were detained in China in apparent retaliation.​
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned Schellenberg's sentencing in January and accused China of "arbitrarily" applying the death penalty.​
Schellenberg, who was arrested in 2014, has maintained his innocence.​
More than 200 kilograms of methamphetamine were seized as part of Schellenberg's case, the court said. It called the 36-year-old Canadian the "principal offender" and said the evidence presented was "true and sufficient."​