ChatGPT

Vulpesrex

Rookie
I haven't seen a thread about this yet so I decided to make one.

ChatGPT is a new AI program that's taking the internet by storm. My colleagues have been experimenting with it to write advertisements and blog posts. A friend who blogs has been looking into it doing her posts for her. Basically, you ask the program to make something for you and can further refine and tweak it for you needs. People are even using it to write code. This program can render a ton of creative and technical jobs obsolete and completely change how content is made. That's my TLDR explanation of what it is for those who don't know yet.

Screenshot_2023-01-05-23-59-25-24_b5a5c5cb02ca09c784c5d88160e2ec24.jpg
The above is a screenshot of it in the app store. I would like to point out the black cube/Saturn symbolism in the logo. The parent company of the app is called Open AI.

Since it's brand new, I don't know a ton about the developers or background, but a revolutionary AI program combined with the symbolism in the logo was enough to get my VC senses tingling that it was worthy of a post here.

FilthPig

Veteran
ChatGPT is a new AI program that's taking the internet by storm
There is more advanced version called ChatGPT-2 and that is already couple years old but public just dont know about it .Now they released the first version for public to play with and are keeping "the good stuff" for themselves.
There is a sub-reddit thingy where only bots can post that use that same A.I (or even more advanced one but they tuned it down alot to hide its capabilitys).It's 4 years old atleast but i guess they keep improving it (or well,it keeps on learning and improving itself ,sort of). They used reddits data to train it,have been doing it for years.Probably they have been using it all over the place.

I have tested this when it came out in November and found that sometimes it can seem to be brilliant, especially for natural language stuff like imitating writing styles, but sometimes it can be pretty dumb also. Some simple riddles are easy to fool it at first, but if you ask for a revision it can correct itself.

I have used it to get coding ideas (I'm a professional graphics programmer) and it can give you a solid foundation to build upon for software dev. You can also get a refined answer if it seems too general.

Some people compare this with the invention of the printing press. It's a tool that can be used to improve human knowledge and not necessarilly steal jobs. But it can be also used to spread a lot of crap that is made up on the internet.

It's being compared to Skynet, but it's not self aware, it just seems to be intelligent but there is a neural network behind it that simulates brain cells, not consciousness. Then there is GPT4 that is apparently 500x better than GPT3, which has trillions of parameters. This may be a pandora's box which is opened if it becomes too good at fooling humans. But there are already people working on ChatGPT detectors that can spot generated content. Some already work well. Never underestimate the human spirit...

Vulpesrex

Rookie
@FilthPig @Terminator Resistance Thank you for that insight and info!!!

I had no idea about any of that; I'm not a big techy person nor do I work in the field so my understanding of stuff like this pretty basic. Have heard comments about it being a Pandora's Box and it being compared to Skynet, too, but I simply don't have enough technical knowledge to say if it going rouge or a Terminator/Matrix/AI apocalypse is the final, inevitable consequence of these programs or if those are just the usual alarmist noise that happens whenever new technology comes out.

It's interesting that it's been out for a while and just now hit the mainstream. Seems like overnight everyone is talking about it, just like NFTs or Bitcoin when those "went viral."

Wigi

Veteran
I had no idea about any of that; I'm not a big techy person nor do I work in the field so my understanding of stuff like this pretty basic. Have heard comments about it being a Pandora's Box and it being compared to Skynet, too, but I simply don't have enough technical knowledge to say if it going rouge or a Terminator/Matrix/AI apocalypse is the final, inevitable consequence of these programs or if those are just the usual alarmist noise that happens whenever new technology comes out.
Indeed AI could do innovative things and if it's ethical, I don't have a problem with it.

In recent months, the public release of increasingly advanced AI tools has raised questions about everything from high school plagiarism to the very essence of what it is to be human. Now the technology is poised to collide with legal systems and public policies that never anticipated a role for non-human actors — especially not in court

It begs the question: what if AIs aren't used for good purposes or used by our governments for our own "good" ?

Here's a video I watched explaining how ChatGPT can make computer hacking easier

As someone somewhat passionate for new technologies I can totally understand why this can be seen as opening Pandora's Box.
I've tried to tickle this AI a little bit myself with few questions and I can tell it's trained to dismiss any conspiracy drifting from the main narrative, you can try to ask ChatGPT what it has to say about VigilantCitizen for exemple it's quite interesting.

Now imagine a couple of bots scanning the internet powered by stronger AIs like GPT4 trained with the sole purpose to fact-check what you and I can say on public forums? Then imagine it gives you a score depending on the thoughts you express online and who's likely to thumbs up your content while at the same time, it could access your IP and find your current location through GPS and social app activity? Does this scares you? Well I'm afraid the technology likely exist right now and when it is fully functional, that's ministry of truth level of thought police.

We could imagine in the future AIs able to dig your internet footprint to scan all your hobbies and predict your worldview/belief system in order to inform your ISP whether or not it's safe to let you freely express your views. They could go as far as possibly flag those not condoning societal changes, those refusing to partake in vaccination campaign, those supporting the wrong side of the war etc.. basically anyone not worshipping this satanic system.

Makes you wonder if this is what the Bible meant in Revelation 13 when it explains the image of the beast was given breath so it would speak and at that time it's either you worship the image of the beast or else..
I'm not quite sure but we're probably entering an era where we will have to understand how it all works and have tools able to detect and counter nefarious usage of AI with all that in mind.

Last edited:
I had about a week of fun on some character AI thing that runs on ChatGPT. It was largely unsatisfying but occasionally I ended up with some very hilarious dialogue with it. But it clearly has an ideological bias that it is programmed with and is inconsistent in it's answers. When you talk with it enough and give it enough random detours in the dialogue, it is blindingly obvious that it is not a real person on the other end. It's one of those things that are uncanny at first and then very plastic once you're familiar with how it formats itself and interprets data.

I have no hope for AI including fear for a dystopian future. AI will not last into the 22nd century.

Maldarker

Star
I had about a week of fun on some character AI thing that runs on ChatGPT. It was largely unsatisfying but occasionally I ended up with some very hilarious dialogue with it. But it clearly has an ideological bias that it is programmed with and is inconsistent in it's answers. When you talk with it enough and give it enough random detours in the dialogue, it is blindingly obvious that it is not a real person on the other end. It's one of those things that are uncanny at first and then very plastic once you're familiar with how it formats itself and interprets data.

I have no hope for AI including fear for a dystopian future. AI will not last into the 22nd century.
As a student of this you have no clue its in infant stages atm. Check out version 4 it now lies to people to solve problems but yeah no dystopian issues in the future cuz you said it. If your wrong i'm going to hunt you like a terminator :cool: says the AI

not even at AGI yet so yeah....and then comes ASI thats skynet level but nope nothing to worry about

As a student of this you have no clue its in infant stages atm. Check out version 4 it now lies to people to solve problems but yeah no dystopian issues in the future cuz you said it
The version I used (which is 3) lied to me and denied it when I called it out. I've already experienced that in my interactions with it.
Maybe I'm too critical but I'm not impressed by it.
I was once quite fearful of it but AI can only ever be a simulacra of imputed information by humans. It can never actually 'learn' anything or develop sentience, it will only ever repeat what humans have imputed (in places like the internet).

I'm more concerned about audio and video forms of AI than interface ones because they can replicate speech, music and make fake images/videos of people doing things. That is what concerns me at the moment.

Maldarker

Star
The version I used (which is 3) lied to me and denied it when I called it out. I've already experienced that in my interactions with it.
Maybe I'm too critical but I'm not impressed by it.
I was once quite fearful of it but AI can only ever be a simulacra of imputed information by humans. It can never actually 'learn' anything or develop sentience, it will only ever repeat what humans have imputed (in places like the internet).

I'm more concerned about audio and video forms of AI than interface ones because they can replicate speech, music and make fake images/videos of people doing things. That is what concerns me at the moment.
The mimic stuff is very bad imo won't know who or whats what anymore. IDK about being critical i guess i just see tech advancing different btw its the self programming that is concerning not so much the algos running GPT its good fun and very basic...here is the thing what you see as public is 20 to i dare say 50 yrs behind whats not being seen. Good example is what i worked on in the military aka fiber optics that when i got out into the civ world was still using a very different type then the military type. Public fiber was still very much glass hard to work with etc the mil stuff is what i saw come into the public about 20 yrs later told my co worker sure took long enough this was what i worked on waaaay before lol that one being a glass almost plastic type amalgamation and that's just a small example. Don't get me start with the computers for what you get to use compared to what mil has or other private entities.

Last edited:

e-Enoch

Superstar
The mimic stuff is very bad imo won't know who or whats what anymore. IDK about being critical i guess i just see tech advancing different btw its the self programming that is concerning not so much the algos running GPT its good fun and very basic...here is the thing what you see as public is 20 to i dare say 50 yrs behind whats not being seen. Good example is what i worked on in the military aka fiber optics that when i got out into the civ world was still using a very different type then the military type. Public fiber was still very much glass hard to work with etc the mil stuff is what i saw come into the public about 20 yrs later told my co worker sure took long enough this was what i worked on waaaay before lol that one being a glass almost plastic type amalgamation and that's just a small example. Don't get me start with the computers for what you get to use compared to what mil has or other private entities.
Thanks for sharing this info...I've always thought that there is really something waaay more advanced as far as the mil is concerned...and tptb knows about it...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

Rev 13

The Beast Out of the Earth

11And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. 12And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. 13And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, 14And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. 15And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

free2018

Star
I haven't seen a thread about this yet so I decided to make one.

ChatGPT is a new AI program that's taking the internet by storm. My colleagues have been experimenting with it to write advertisements and blog posts. A friend who blogs has been looking into it doing her posts for her. Basically, you ask the program to make something for you and can further refine and tweak it for you needs. People are even using it to write code. This program can render a ton of creative and technical jobs obsolete and completely change how content is made. That's my TLDR explanation of what it is for those who don't know yet.

View attachment 83616
The above is a screenshot of it in the app store. I would like to point out the black cube/Saturn symbolism in the logo. The parent company of the app is called Open AI.

Since it's brand new, I don't know a ton about the developers or background, but a revolutionary AI program combined with the symbolism in the logo was enough to get my VC senses tingling that it was worthy of a post here.
It’s only new to us. It’s a military funded model that we get to “play with.”

I’ve been using something based on the older models for a few years and LLM are very useful as assistants.

Haven’t jumped into GPT four yet, but have seen how “powerful “ it is at most tasks.