Changing Times

Kung Fu

Superstar
Times definitely are changing. We're being robbed year by year in which our money is worth less and less and it was done by design. The West has gotten considerably richer and more technologically advanced since the 1960s but yet we can buy less with our money than we were able to in the past. How can we as countries get "richer" (GDP) and have more services available to us than any other period in history yet we as people are getting poorer and be able to buy less and less each year?

Aero

Superstar
I like the movie "Too Big to Fail". Although it's very biased. It makes the government and federal reserve seem like they were sweet. When in actually it was all their fault anyway. But still it shows how the financial services industry is just like a house of cards. How greed has taken over completely.

To me it doesn't make sense that a CEO who destroyed a company gets bonuses and rewarded. One only needs to look at "Yahoo" in recent years. The company has struggled badly, I mean I'm surprised it's still around. But the CEO? Bonuses, Bonuses, Bonuses.

Aero

Superstar
I watch "American Greed" a lot. It's kind of like my show. There was a good episode on Maddoff. People act like these crimes just aren't a big deal, and it kind of bugs me. I can't even imagine working my whole life, doing the right thing and having everything get robbed. Than to top it all off the court system basically tells you too bad you are an idiot. Like sorry we enable this type of crime, and don't really punish or go after them until it's too late.

Lisa

Superstar
My father in law bought his house for $18,ooo back in the day. His dad came to visit and was amazed at the price thought he was crazy to pay that. My father in law grew up dirt poor with I don't know how many brothers and sisters and lived in a cardboard house, if I remember correctly.

Karlysymon

Superstar
I watch "American Greed" a lot. It's kind of like my show. There was a good episode on Maddoff. People act like these crimes just aren't a big deal, and it kind of bugs me. I can't even imagine working my whole life, doing the right thing and having everything get robbed. Than to top it all off the court system basically tells you too bad you are an idiot. Like sorry we enable this type of crime, and don't really punish or go after them until it's too late.
If i remember correctly, he was a SEC chairman. Obviously, he was a hench-man for 'financial higher-ups'. It always makes me chuckle that he literally Made-off with people's money. Way to live up to one's name.

Aero

Superstar
If i remember correctly, he was a SEC chairman. Obviously, he was a hench-man for 'financial higher-ups'. It makes me chuckle that he literally Made-off with people's money.
Yeah the bright side of that story is he got the full weight of the law thrown at him. But that's just because of the massive scale and length. A lot of people get off so easy, and repeat these same crimes for years.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Yeah the bright side of that story is he got the full weight of the law thrown at him. But that's just because of the massive scale and length. A lot of people get off so easy, and repeat these same crimes for years.
Well, you have to toss out some sacrificial lambs to placate the masses!

Aero

Superstar
Well, you have to toss out some sacrificial lambs to placate the masses!
Right, a symbolic ritual. That's what the whole American Greed show is anyway. Like they know full well they can't make it trendy to vilify white collar crime. Lately I've been of the mind that every high ranking position is ceremonial at best, and a pat on the back at worst.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Times definitely are changing. We're being robbed year by year in which our money is worth less and less and it was done by design. The West has gotten considerably richer and more technologically advanced since the 1960s but yet we can buy less with our money than we were able to in the past. How can we as countries get "richer" (GDP) and have more services available to us than any other period in history yet we as people are getting poorer and be able to buy less and less each year?
*What Recovery? Record
Number Of Americans Become Blood Plasma "Sellers" To Make Ends Meet.*

http://zerohedge.com/news/2015-10-26/what-recovery-record-number-americans-become-blood-plasma-sellers-make-ends-meet

Thanks for this, Karly. This was the same year my mum was born and I’m going to print it off and share it with her when I go and visit her and my dad this weekend.

That being said, times were a lot simpler then too. I’m reminded of games that she taught me when I was a kid, and I played at school like 5 Rocks and searching for the “sparlkiest” rocks in the area where the cubicles were in grade school, only to find their sharp edges hurt when they were on the top of my hand. :p

Yup, no technological toys to numb our brains in those times…

Aero

Superstar
I forget the exact dollar amount. But my dad made like 20k a year in the 1980s. He had a wife, a house, 2 cars and 3 kids.

But the craziest part of all of this, isn't the inflation. It's how we haven't revolted over the inflation.