Central Bank Digital Currency

student

Rookie
Something to keep tabs on in light of the Covid19 outbreak.
Adoption of CB Digital Currency and abolition of Paper Currency.

Wikipedia on CBDC

student

Rookie

On 20 02 2020 UK released the new £20 polymer notes. Curious as to what is the deal with that as the TPTB would already have been pushing for CBDC so waste of time printing new polymer notes if they've got CBDC implementation in the pipeline. Polymer notes are entirely waterproof so facilitates washing.

UK, Canada, Australia and host of other countries use polymer notes. However as far as I know; the Euro and Dollar are both using cotton fibre mix.

If the Coronovirus transmission via paper currency rhetoric and agenda gains momentum; the $ and Euro are inevitably going to deep dive.

Are the countries with polymer notes, if not impacting viral transmission as much as paper, going to be able to hold their own as interim currency before wholescale shift to CBDC?

Cintra

Star
Money is filthy though.

Have you ever counted up a change jar and then sniffed your hands?

Or sniff the notes?
Coke speed coke...
Has been up someone's nose.

I don't want a digital currency, nor a one world currency.

But in the current climate wash hands after using money, and for those so inclined, use your own snorting tube, not the note in your wallet.

Thunderian

Superstar
Or sniff the notes?
The smell of money brings back memories. Canada has switched over to polymer notes, but the other day I got a bunch of old notes from a cash machine, and it took me about a decade back to the days when I’d leave poker games with a smelly stack of cash.

Or maybe I showed up with a stack, and left with just the smell.

Either way, I miss real money, as dirty as it is, and these days I rarely have or need cash, except for use by my wife when she buys stuff she finds on VarageSale. I don’t know if you have interac tap in the UK, but it’s everywhere in Canada, and now that weed is legal, people don’t really need cash for anything, lol.

I always thought that the switch to a cashless economy would be jarring, but it’s been so gradual that I barely noticed. The internet changed everything.