Catholicism 101

SquaredCircle

Established
Doesn’t sound so silly to me..
John‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭
Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.
‭‭
I love that verse ! Were we differ is with “ My Words “ no one knows what Jesus really said or did

Lisa

Superstar
I do! If I am after the actual meaning or significance of a verse I will consult a few translations online. Both old and new.

But everything sounds better in the KJV. It has weight and gravity.

Also I don't have a problem with the language, as history, paleography, and such like are an interest of mine.

I like words. I like the history of them, and the secrets they hold.
I like that stuff.
Ok...I think that anything God says has weight.

Lisa

Superstar
I love that verse ! Were we differ is with “ My Words “ no one knows what Jesus really said or did
Sure we do...we have God’s inspired word the Bible that tells us some of the things Jesus did and what we need to know.

SquaredCircle

Established
Sure we do...we have God’s inspired word the Bible that tells us some of the things Jesus did and what we need to know.
I cant even begin to comment on this ! Not being mean ! You faith based infallible bible types just wear me out !

SquaredCircle

Established
I cant even begin to comment on this ! Not being mean ! You faith based infallible bible types just wear me out !
That is like saying Hitler was correct and just , because we have Mein Kampf as evidence that proves if it is written all you need is faith to make it real !
Well millions had faith in Hitler and well .... that was bad .
Jesus too called for the destruction of non believers in the NT Luke 19:27

SquaredCircle

Established
That is like saying Hitler was correct and just , because we have Mein Kampf as evidence that proves if it is written all you need is faith to make it real !
Your foolishness drew me out of my evil occult wizard cave !

Lisa

Superstar
Are you arguing with yourself or me?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
One day I'll have a go at the old vulgate. See if I can make anything of that.
I had a try with the Geneva Bible and the Tyndale Bible. I think I had been reading Shakespeare at the time so they seemed pretty readable to me! Joking apart, I think the NKJV has the advantage of being a faithful Textus Receptus translation and is also easy to read.

If you want to know why I prefer this lineage of manuscripts, I mentioned it in another thread.

Cintra

Star
I had a try with the Geneva Bible and the Tyndale Bible. I think I had been reading Shakespeare at the time so they seemed pretty readable to me! Joking apart, I think the NKJV has the advantage of being a faithful Textus Receptus translation and is also easy to read.

If you want to know why I prefer this lineage of manuscripts, I mentioned it in another thread.

An interesting thread. Thank you for the link.

Lisa

Superstar
Then you should learn to quote me..or the person you are arguing with..and not yourself...

Yes, the Bible does warn what will happen to people who don’t believe...at least there is a warning and you have your whole life to change your mind and believe and be saved...I don’t recall hitler giving any warnings or given to changing his mind about torturing and killing people..I don’t see where the two even compare.