Catholicism 101

The Catholic Church was fated to derail from the moment they accepted the Tanakh as Christian scripture. That’s where the forces of good and evil meet, between the old law and the new. It’s through the old law that Satan steals your soul. Islam is a return to the old law. Catholicism is in the new. Grouping them together under Satan’s banner is a token of ignorance.

What’s Scimitar got to do with this?

Toulouse

Established
Can a Church Declare You a Saint?

To some observers, it might seem like the equivalent of the gold watch traditionally presented to retiring corporate employees: Pope Francis has recently confirmed that one of his predecessors, the late Pope Paul VI, who died in 1978, will be formally recognized as a saint of the Roman Catholic Church sometime in 2018.

Such designations are generally given to those to whom two miracles—for instance, verified medical cures for which there is no physical explanation—can be attributed. Catholic faithful believe such "saints" are already in heaven, interceding with God for the requests of believers on Earth.

Most of the twentieth century predecessors of Francis have been canonized. Speaking with a group of priests in Rome during a private meeting, Francis jokingly said that he and his immediate predecessor, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, now "are on the waiting list" for sainthood.

While it's certainly the privilege of any religious group to have its own ceremonies and customs, it's also reasonable to ask if they are in line with Scripture. Is there precedent in the New Testament for setting apart an individual believer as some sort of special intercessor before God?

The Bible's word for "saint" comes from the Greek word hagios (pronounced "hag'-ee-os"), which means "most holy thing, a saint," according to Thayer's Greek Lexicon. In the New Testament, saints are often referred to in the plural as a group of Christian believers. In Acts 9:13, responding to Jesus' command that he go help the newly converted Saul of Tarsus, Ananias said, "Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem" (NKJV).

That same Saul, now Paul, an apostle of the Christ whose followers he persecuted, would greet the believers at Corinth this way: "To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours" (1 Corinthians 1:2 NKJV).

Are saints "special" people who must be "recognized" by a church authority? The Bible says otherwise: Every person who believes in Christ is a saint, and congregations of believers are all saints. What's more, we're considered saints while we're living, without having to wait for death or for some process by which our sainthood is confirmed.

That's good news, but it also carries responsibility: Those who are believers must live like believers. Paul, who observed a culture in direct rebellion to God's law, wrote this to the brethren at Ephesus: "Immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints" (Ephesians 5:3 NASB). Paul believed there was right and wrong behavior for those who considered themselves saints—that is, as members of the church.

Sainthood isn't something that arrives after this life. It isn't something earned by good deeds or even miraculous happenings. Instead, being a saint is what each and every person called to a life of service in Jesus Christ—and that includes every believer reading these words—happens to be. Our challenge is to live in a way that expresses that saintly designation. That doesn't mean being "holier-than-thou," but rather by doing good for those with whom we live—at home, at school, at work, and, yes, every time we gather together for worship or study.

We do good not for the purpose of earning salvation or some title, but rather because God so loved us that He sent Jesus to die for us and we, in turn, have accepted the gift of salvation.

Can the Church declare you Saint? Only through the Holy Spirit. You seem to separate the two. We don't. All official teachings are guided through the Holy Spirit, tested, prayed about.

Wigi

Veteran
Can the Church declare you Saint? Only through the Holy Spirit. You seem to separate the two. We don't. All official teachings are guided through the Holy Spirit, tested, prayed about.
I'm curious: what are your thoughts about today's Catholicism and pope Francis ?
Do you think everything he's doing is approved by God somehow or you're more in line with Sedevacantism?

Toulouse

Established
I'm curious: what are your thoughts about today's Catholicism and pope Francis ?
Do you think everything he's doing is approved by God somehow or you're more in line with Sedevacantism?
I'm not sure, exactly. He assumed the office under the most difficult of circumstances. I wouldn't want it. I like a lot of what he's done, some other things not so much. After all of my trips around the sun, I have learned to be careful of my sources. Although I used to be very conservative, I have found a more middle-ground with the Church. The group to which you refer, I believe, declared another pope who lives in Colorado or somewhere! I'm not a fan, and I don't know from where their authority comes. The Church is not a democracy in the truest sense of the word. Also, I don't think Jesus was ultraconservative - remember the Pharisees, but he certainly wasn't a flaming, hippie-liberal either. Jesus was the Truth. It's as simple as that. Our early twentieth-century paradigm of materialism and "have it our way" gets in the way of our spirituality. So, when someone comes along and challenges that, we react. We also have the handicap of being human, especially when it comes to spiritual matters. Regarding the pope, and anyone for that matter, we need to just look at the fruits of what he's done.

I hope this helped.

Wigi

Veteran
I like a lot of what he's done, some other things not so much. After all of my trips around the sun, I have learned to be careful of my sources
We also have the handicap of being human, especially when it comes to spiritual matters. Regarding the pope, and anyone for that matter, we need to just look at the fruits of what he's done
Thanks for answering but I just need a small clarification :
Do you think the pope is fallible and made some mistakes? Because you seem to disagree with some of the things he did.

The Church is not a democracy in the truest sense of the word
I disagree but that's for another time maybe.

The group to which you refer, I believe, declared another pope who lives in Colorado or somewhere! I'm not a fan, and I don't know from where their authority comes.
In fact, sedevacantists just state that the 'seat of Peter' is vacant since second Vatican council.
I'm asking because many people who return to Catholicism in Europe tend to agree with sedevacantism and for example here in France, we've seen the Fraternity Saint Pius X emerge as a traditionalist catholic community that doesn't do compromises with modernism.
Long story short, the few practicing Catholics I know explains that pope Francis is in fact anticatholic.

Ps: I'm just christian and I attend a pentecostal church but I discovered them last year and it seems to be growing that’s why I am curious.

Toulouse

Established
Thanks for answering but I just need a small clarification :
Do you think the pope is fallible and made some mistakes? Because you seem to disagree with some of the things he did.

I disagree but that's for another time maybe.

In fact, sedevacantists just state that the 'seat of Peter' is vacant since second Vatican council.
I'm asking because many people who return to Catholicism in Europe tend to agree with sedevacantism and for example here in France, we've seen the Fraternity Saint Pius X emerge as a traditionalist catholic community that doesn't do compromises with modernism.
Long story short, the few practicing Catholics I know explains that pope Francis is in fact anticatholic.

Ps: I'm just christian and I attend a pentecostal church but I discovered them last year and it seems to be growing that’s why I am curious.
With all respect to the few (operative word "few") Catholics that you know, the Pius X group have "gone off the Res (Reservation)" as my Native American friends would say. I'm thankful that there are still Catholics in France. I understand their argument, but they are not trusting in the Holy Spirit.

The pope's infallibility is highly, and widely, misunderstood. It's not as if every sentence out of his mouth is truth, and he doesn't make mistakes - he is human. Misunderstandings occur when people "cherry-pick" things about the Church (anything, actually) and don't place them in their proper context - like Fundamentalists seem to do. Jesus started a church, he appointed leaders and gave them the power and authority to make new leaders (Matt 18:18). This all makes sense. We call it "Apostolic Succession." Peter was the first leader, or father (everyone came to Peter for answers because of the power given to him by Jesus), of the Church. Common sense tells us that Jesus would not start something so important and leave it leaderless. So, the leadership had to be passed down throughout the ages, and the power and authority, and grace to make decisions, has been passed down, too.

Infallibility comes only when the pope is speaking ex cathedra, or "from the chair." This is where the word cathedral comes in - the place of the chair. When done, they become dogma. If the pope says or does anything against Holy Scripture, natural law, etc., then he does not have to obeyed. I haven't seen this yet. Your friends from St. Pius X were up in arms when Pope John Paul II allowed girls to be altar servers. Again, I understand their argument, but where's the harm? Jesus healed on the Sabbath. That really drove the Jewish leadership crazy. Pope Francis has not spoken ex cathedra and I doubt he will. The last dogma, spoke ex cathedra, was in 1950 under Pope Pius XII.

It's important to get away from the thinking that the pope wakes up one day and says, "I think today I will speak infallibly." Not quite. It's quite complicated as it should be because only important issues of faith and morals are spoken ex cathedra.

phipps

Star
In the post I posted, it explained what saints are in the Bible. The word "saints" in the Bible is another word for the righteous people, God's people. All of them not just a select few. Also they are not saints after they die/died. They are/were "saints" while living in service to God, while doing the work of God.

Moses said of the saints in Deuteronomy 33:3, "Yes, He loves the people; All His saints are in Your hand; They sit down at Your feet; Everyone receives Your words."

David said in Psalms 16:3, "As for the saints who are on the earth, “They are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.” In Psalms 30:4, "Sing praise to the Lord, you saints of His, And give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name."

Daniel says in Daniel 7:18, "But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom, and possess the kingdom forever, even forever and ever."

And Paul wrote to the Roman Church in Romans 1:7, "To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

There are so many more Bible texts in the Old and New Testament that use the words "saints" to mean "God's people".

It is not biblical that saints are declared saints by people or a Church.

No, not all official Catholic teachings are guided by the Holy Spirit. Otherwise they would not have so much paganism in their beliefs system. The Holy Spirit does not guide any one or any Church to a mixture of God's Word and commandments with paganism. The Holy Spirit leads us to the complete truth of God.

You may be sincere but you are sincerely wrong and I pray that God leads you to His truths as written of in His Word, the Bible.

Last edited:

Toulouse

Established
In the post I posted, it explained what saints are in the Bible. The word "saints" in the Bible is another word for the righteous people, God's people. All of them not just a select few. Also the are not saints after they died. They are/were "saints" while living in service to God, while doing the work of God.

Moses said of the saints in Deuteronomy 33:3, "Yes, He loves the people; All His saints are in Your hand; They sit down at Your feet; Everyone receives Your words."

David said in Psalms 16:3, "As for the saints who are on the earth, “They are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.” In Psalms 30:4, "Sing praise to the Lord, you saints of His, And give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name."

Daniel says in Daniel 7:18, "But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom, and possess the kingdom forever, even forever and ever."

And Paul wrote to the Roman Church in Romans 1:7, "To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

There are so many more Bible texts in the Old and New Testament that uses the words "saints" to mean "God's people".

It is not biblical that saints are declared saints by people or a Church.

No, not all official Catholic teachings and guided by the Holy Spirit. Otherwise they would not have so much paganism in their beliefs system. The Holy Spirit does not guide any one or any Church to a mixture of God's Word and commandments with paganism. The Holy Spirit leads us to the complete truth of God.

You may be sincere but you are sincerely wrong and I pray that God leads you to His truths as written of in His Word, the Bible.
Of course, we are all saints in heaven if we are true followers of Christ. But there those who have lived (before they died) exemplary lives witnessed by those around them. The Church decided that these people, people who died horrible deaths in some cases, for Jesus, are given special status, and rightly so. They are models, examples, for how to live heroic Christian lives.

You use the word pagan. I'm not sure how Catholics are pagan. We hold the main beliefs of Christianity. Did you read the original post? that started the thread? Please do. One poster claimed that we worship Mary even after I explained that we do not worship Mary. She exclaimed "Yes, you do?" Yikes. I guess if someone yells loudly enough, then they are right. So much for rational thought.

elsbet

Superstar
The image of Our Lady of Guadalupe has been meticulously studied by, again, atheists and non-Catholics, and the material that makes up the image can not be found on the earth!!! You can't make this stuff up. The studies have been replicated and to say they are bogus and part of a "false gospel" defies logic. Science is on our side.
Fair enough... it may very well be of a supernatural origin. I have no problem with that. I guess I'm curious though-- what makes you so certain it is of God?

phipps

Star
Of course, we are all saints in heaven if we are true followers of Christ. But there those who have lived (before they died) exemplary lives witnessed by those around them. The Church decided that these people, people who died horrible deaths in some cases, for Jesus, are given special status, and rightly so. They are models, examples, for how to live heroic Christian lives.

You use the word pagan. I'm not sure how Catholics are pagan. We hold the main beliefs of Christianity. Did you read the original post? that started the thread? Please do. One poster claimed that we worship Mary even after I explained that we do not worship Mary. She exclaimed "Yes, you do?" Yikes. I guess if someone yells loudly enough, then they are right. So much for rational thought.
Of course, we are all saints in heaven if we are true followers of Christ.
Saints start being saints on earth and not after death. They are the saved, the righteous, God's people as I've shown you directly from the Bible.

But there those who have lived (before they died) exemplary lives witnessed by those around them. The Church decided that these people, people who died horrible deaths in some cases, for Jesus, are given special status, and rightly so. They are models, examples, for how to live heroic Christian lives.
Who are the Church to decide who gets given special status? Did the Church create those people? Did they know them even before they were formed in the womb? Does the Church know their thoughts? Does the Church know how many hairs they had on their heads? Did the Church die for the sin of the world? Is the Church all knowing? The Church has no authority to give special status to anyone. They are not God but they've given themselves the authority, it will never count.

You use the word pagan. I'm not sure how Catholics are pagan.
I don't believe you didn't understand my explanation of why Catholicism is not based on the Bible but mainly on paganism. A lot of their beliefs and rituals stem from paganism. Does that makes Catholics pagan? I believe there are sincere Catholics and I believe many will leave the religion when God leads them to His truths according to His Word.

We hold the main beliefs of Christianity.
No you don't.

Did you read the original post? that started the thread? Please do. One poster claimed that we worship Mary even after I explained that we do not worship Mary. She exclaimed "Yes, you do?" Yikes. I guess if someone yells loudly enough, then they are right. So much for rational thought.
Yes, and I repeat, Catholics worship Mary. They pray to her with the rosary which is vain and repetitive prayer, they say she's immaculate (meaning Mary was conceived sinless, without original sin), they believe she was "All-Holy" (meaning she lived a sinless life), Only Jesus lived a sinless life on earth. Caholics believe in Mary's "Glorious Assumption" (she was bodily taken up into Heaven).

Catholics believe Mary is Co-Redemptrix, Mediatrix, and Advocate which means she shares these roles with Jesus. That is blasphemy of the highest order. That would make Mary God. She played no role in anyone's salvation. Mary needed a saviour like we all do. The Bible clearly teaches that there is one Redeemer, Mediator, and Advocate, and that is Christ Jesus. No one can share those roles with Him. Certainly not a mere created human being.

None of these beliefs about Mary by Catholics are biblical and that means they don't come from God. However a lot of it stems from paganism. There was and there still is a lot of Mother child worship and virgin goddess worship within paganism.

"The sinner that ventures directly to Christ may come with dread and apprehension of his wrath; but let him only employ the mediation of the Virgin with her Son and she has only to show that Son the breasts that gave him suck and his wrath will immediately be appeased." Catholic Layman, July 1856.

Is this really Christian at all? And who is yelling? I'm calm but the truth is the truth no matter how much you deny it and try to come across as better than me for telling you the truth the way I did. You will still be wrong. God bless.

Last edited:

Toulouse

Established
Saints start being saints on earth and not after death. They are the saved, the righteous, God's people as I've shown you directly from the Bible.

Who are the Church to decide who gets given special status? Did the Church create those people? Did they know them even before they were formed in the womb? Does the Church know their thoughts? Does the Church know how many hairs they had on their heads? Did the Church die for the sin of the world? Is the Church all knowing? The Church has no authority to give special status to anyone. They are not God but they've given themselves the authority, it will never count.

I don't believe you didn't understand my explanation of why Catholicism is not based on the Bible but mainly on paganism. a lot of their beliefs and rituals stem from paganism. Does that makes Catholic/ pagan? I believe there are sincere Catholics and I believe many will leave the religion when God leads them to His truths according to His Word.

No you don't.

Yes, I repeat, Catholics worship Mary. They pray to her with the rosary which is vain and repetitive prayer, they say she's immaculate (meaning Mary was conceived sinless, without original sin), they believe she was "All-Holy" (meaning she lived a sinless life), Only Jesus lived a sinless life on earth. Caholics believe in Mary's "Glorious Assumption" (she was bodily taken up into Heaven).

Catholics believe Mary is Co-Redemptrix, Mediatrix, and Advocate which means she shares these roles with Jesus. That is blasphemy of the highest order. That would make Mary God. She played no role in anyone's salvation. Mary needed a saviour like we all do. The Bible clearly teaches that there is one Redeemer, Mediator, and Advocate, and that is Christ Jesus. No one can share those roles with Him. Certainly not a mere created human being.

None of these beliefs about Mary by Catholics are biblical and that means they don't come from God. However alot of it stems from paganism. There was and there still is a lot of Mother child worship and virgin goddess worship within paganism.

"The sinner that ventures directly to Christ may come with dread and apprehension of his wrath; but let him only employ the mediation of the Virgin with her Son and she has only to show that Son the breasts that gave him suck and his wrath will immediately be appeased." Catholic Layman, July 1856.

Is this really Christian at all? And who is yelling? I'm calm but the truth is the truth no matter how much you deny it and try to come across as better than me for telling you the truth the way I did. You will still be wrong. God bless.

Toulouse

Established
Fair enough... it may very well be of a supernatural origin. I have no problem with that. I guess I'm curious though-- what makes you so certain it is of God?
For many decades Catholic missionaries were not seeing many conversions? Then in 1531 A.D., Our Lady appeared to a peasant (Catholic) name Juan Diego. Read the story. It's fascinating. Seven years after the apparition approximately 8 million pagan Indians had converted. Interestingly, at the same time in Europe many were leaving the Church because of Luther, Zwingli, and a few years later with King Henry VIII. God has a sense of humor.

What makes me certain it is of God? Why would satan want 8 million people to convert to the Church he hates - and who knows how many more since then? According to the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 12, verse 26 "If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?"

I'll let the Bible speak for itself. God can work outside of the Bible. I believe he has and does through miracles.

Thank you for the refreshing intellectual discussion on this.

Toulouse

Established
Phipps, you obviously have your mind made up. I've explained where Church authority comes from in the original post. I've said that we don't worship Mary, only God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), etc. Our faith is based on Holy Scripture. We are not pagan. I'm sorry if you don't believe me. There are some who believe only what they want to believe. In friendship I offer that perhaps you fit into this category.

I left the Church for eight-years after my father's 2nd heart attack. I blamed God and became an atheist and a Marxist. I was in deep. Ironically, a leftist (hero) author by the name of Christopher Lasch was the influence I needed. A line in the book, along with many other situations, brought me back to the Church. God meets us where we are at. I even dabbled in the New Age movement and hung out with a lot of pagans. I made a conscious decision to return to God and did a lot of studying. The Catholic Church made the most sense.

Lisa

Superstar
Why would satan want 8 million people to convert to the Church he hates - and who knows how many more since then?
Who says satan hates the catholic church? I think it serves its purpose for him to deceive people with the traditions of the church while keeping people away from the truth. I think for satan it’s whatever works.

Toulouse

Established
Who says satan hates the catholic church? I think it serves its purpose for him to deceive people with the traditions of the church while keeping people away from the truth. I think for satan it’s whatever works.
I couldn't agree more. I refer to those who left the Church to follow their own interpretation of the Bible. How many denominations are there? Which one is the truth?

elsbet

Superstar
For many decades Catholic missionaries were not seeing many conversions? Then in 1531 A.D., Our Lady appeared to a peasant (Catholic) name Juan Diego. Read the story. It's fascinating. Seven years after the apparition approximately 8 million pagan Indians had converted. Interestingly, at the same time in Europe many were leaving the Church because of Luther, Zwingli, and a few years later with King Henry VIII. God has a sense of humor.

What makes me certain it is of God? Why would satan want 8 million people to convert to the Church he hates - and who knows how many more since then? According to the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 12, verse 26 "If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?"

I'll let the Bible speak for itself. God can work outside of the Bible. I believe he has and does through miracles.

Thank you for the refreshing intellectual discussion on this.
I don't see Marian (Guadalupe, Fatima, statues crying tears of blood, etc.) conversions the way you do, though I do believe they are supernatural in origin, most of the time. It is interesting stuff.

And I did read the story-- from wiki, from the Catholic perspective , the Snopes perspective (a site in need of a review, itself), and the scientific Catholic perspective (best).

Lisa

Superstar
I couldn't agree more. I refer to those who left the Church to follow their own interpretation of the Bible. How many denominations are there? Which one is the truth?
Maybe they left the church because it’s a false religion and they couldn’t stay and follow God too..

Yep, you have to be careful not to find another false church... but God can guide your footsteps.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Phipps, you obviously have your mind made up. I've explained where Church authority comes from in the original post. I've said that we don't worship Mary, only God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), etc. Our faith is based on Holy Scripture. We are not pagan. I'm sorry if you don't believe me. There are some who believe only what they want to believe. In friendship I offer that perhaps you fit into this category.

I left the Church for eight-years after my father's 2nd heart attack. I blamed God and became an atheist and a Marxist. I was in deep. Ironically, a leftist (hero) author by the name of Christopher Lasch was the influence I needed. A line in the book, along with many other situations, brought me back to the Church. God meets us where we are at. I even dabbled in the New Age movement and hung out with a lot of pagans. I made a conscious decision to return to God and did a lot of studying. The Catholic Church made the most sense.
Yes I've made up my mind to follow Christ and His Word. And yes you explained where the authority of the Catholic Church comes from. The thing is, that is not what the Bible teaches is it? You can also say you don't worship Mary over and over but it won't make it true. You do worship Mary and have even dared to put her as high if not higher than Christ and you denying these facts as written of in Catholic literature won't change the facts. No most of your faith isn't based on the Bible at all. Why would I believe you? I believe the Bible which is the Word of God, not you or any Church. No, its you who has chosen to believe your Church doctrine that opposes the word of God.

I went to Catholic school when I was younger. I know Catholics do not study the Bible much. Its not required of them because they've been taught that only the priest can understand the Scriptures fully. That isn't true at all. Anyone can understand the scriptures. The key to understanding scripture is prayer, doing God's will and submitting to Him and most importantly letting the Holy Spirit guide them. I know a lot of what Catholics believe is about what the Church says not about a thus saith the Lord. If you study the Bible, Catholic doctrine will not make sense to you. A lot of it contradicts the Bible. In my Church we have many former Catholics and they always tell us they really didn't know much about the Bible at all. When they studied the Bible for the first time and found out a lot of their beliefs were not biblical, they left their Church for God. Its up to you at the end of the day to choose who to follow. You can't do both because they are on opposing sides.

Last edited:

Toulouse

Established

I don't believe you didn't understand my explanation of why Catholicism is not based on the Bible but mainly on paganism. a lot of their beliefs and rituals stem from paganism. Does that makes Catholic/ pagan? I believe there are sincere Catholics and I believe many will leave the religion when God leads them to His truths according to His Word.

No you don't.

Yes, I repeat, Catholics worship Mary. They pray to her with the rosary which is vain and repetitive prayer, they say she's immaculate (meaning Mary was conceived sinless, without original sin), they believe she was "All-Holy" (meaning she lived a sinless life), Only Jesus lived a sinless life on earth. Caholics believe in Mary's "Glorious Assumption" (she was bodily taken up into Heaven).

None of these beliefs about Mary by Catholics are biblical and that means they don't come from God. However alot of it stems from paganism. There was and there still is a lot of Mother child worship and virgin goddess worship within paganism.

The "yelling" comment wasn't directed a you, it was a general statement. Perhaps it was a poor choice of words. Forgive me if I upset you. That wasn't my intention.