Cartoon Network Hits New Low With Blasphemous 'Black Jesus'

rainerann

Star
So I watched part of this show and I honestly don't feel really offended by it. The only real thing that bothered me was the language because it is obviously excessive to assume that Jesus would be using so many curse words, but I have been in a dozen situations with people who were entertaining how they envision Jesus as being relatable in the way the show seems to present. I don't know. I just don't really find it all that shocking to try to characterize Jesus living in this type of environment. It also doesn't feel new to me either. It is more like someone just took a narrative that exists in this environment and made it into a show.

There is no way I could watch it because of the language, but if there wasn't so much bad language, it is actually somewhat interesting to me.

Aero

Superstar
You're really confusing the function of the savior with the reality of Satan. The savior is necessary because death was inherited when Adam and Eve disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden. Even though the account includes the presence of the serpent, the responsibility for disobeying God was placed on Adam and Eve. This account is where we understand what the word repentance means. Repentance is an individual action that does not include or necessitate the presence of Satan and the requirement to repent because we all fall short and will inevitably sin is why we need a savior.

It has nothing to do with Satan unless you overgeneralize Christianity in a way to trivialize for the purpose of reaffirming some individual belief that you hold about the presence of good and evil. If you want to maintain this position, you can assume that our objective in accepting salvation has something to do with the assumption that we are trying to find protection from Satan, but having a savior has more to do with being restored to be a person without sin than being protected from Satan.

It would seem like it would be easy to understand the role of a savior from the story of the Garden of Eden considering Adam and Eve were both given consequences for their disobedience and the reality is that no spiritual path has been able to completely remove evil from the world or find a better way to explain its presence. In some cases, something simple like this provides more answers to the nature of man than lengthy arguments about the human psyche are able to do.

That isn't to say that I have a problem with lengthy arguments about the psyche in most cases. Usually, I only have a problem with them when the motivation for them is to try to create conflict with simple explanations like this that have presented themselves throughout history in a way of asserting the ego of man in modern times over the capacity for understanding in ancient times.

In reality, Satan could be bound up for a thousand years starting today and we would still need a savior because without him we would still be subjected to an inevitable death that is the result of individual disobedience that no amount of intellectual inquiry will be able to prevent. I would imagine you do not believe death is final considering your position on astral travel. Essentially, if you can exist separately from the body in this life, there is a strong possibility that death is not a final end. This is why we believe we need a savior because this reality is the result of sin and was it was not the will of God that we should experience death resulting from disobedience. It as nothing to do with Satan.
Or you are confused about what's being projected outward. If it has nothing to do with Satan, why is all we here about Satan? Where is this path to repentance you keep speaking of? I find it very ironic you keep calling it an individual experience, while tossing aside other individualist experiences. But ultimately I don't think the right word for the path you're talking about is individual. It might be invisible.

I talked about it a little in another thread. How Satan is being propped up as an adversary. And I know that some Christians have much deeper faith than that. But I just don't get why it always turns into this two sided battle always taking place. I hope you don't take my post the wrong way. I'm just saying, if people were projecting or even reflecting that path of repentance. I would give mad props.

All of these things are just metaphors. That means we can find any equally good metaphor to describe the same thing. That's the point of dual concepts. But it sounds like we both agree. That propping up Satan in any sense is counter productive at best.

rainerann

Star
Or you are confused about what's being projected outward. If it has nothing to do with Satan, why is all we here about Satan? Where is this path to repentance you keep speaking of? I find it very ironic you keep calling it an individual experience, while tossing aside other individualist experiences. But ultimately I don't think the right word for the path you're talking about is individual. It might be invisible.

I talked about it a little in another thread. How Satan is being propped up as an adversary. And I know that some Christians have much deeper faith than that. But I just don't get why it always turns into this two sided battle always taking place. I hope you don't take my post the wrong way. I'm just saying, if people were projecting or even reflecting that path of repentance. I would give mad props.

All of these things are just metaphors. That means we can find any equally good metaphor to describe the same thing. That's the point of dual concepts. But it sounds like we both agree. That propping up Satan in any sense is counter productive at best.
Yes, Satan is considered an adversary, but more importantly when we are talking about this perspective towards Satan as Christians. We are talking about the way in which parallel worlds create limitations for us to engage with forces that work against us. This functions separately from our need of a Savior outside of the way knowledge of the Savior provides knowledge of the way separate worlds exist in parallel and interact with each other.

So the discussion of Satan is central to the precept that Jesus is the light of the world, and it is this light that allows us to understand what we would otherwise be victimized by because of the limitations of our sensory experience that are in a continual state of decay. This continual state of decay is what we will be saved from.

Therefore, the objective of an adversary is not so much necessary to the objective of having a savior as it is provided by the savior.

Aero

Superstar
Yes, Satan is considered an adversary, but more importantly when we are talking about this perspective towards Satan as Christians. We are talking about the way in which parallel worlds create limitations for us to engage with forces that work against us. This functions separately from our need of a Savior outside of the way knowledge of the Savior provides knowledge of the way separate worlds exist in parallel and interact with each other.

So the discussion of Satan is central to the precept that Jesus is the light of the world, and it is this light that allows us to understand what we would otherwise be victimized by because of the limitations of our sensory experience that are in a continual state of decay. This continual state of decay is what we will be saved from.

Therefore, the objective of an adversary is not so much necessary to the objective of having a savior as it is provided by the savior.
I think you are just trying to speak my language now. Which is sweet, but that's not what I see and hear people saying. I just see and hear a lot of sanctimony and hubris. Every limitation isn't meant to be an adversary. Some of them are easy hurdles that one just has to jump over. And it's like people won't make the jump.

You are going to have to work harder to restore my faith in humanity. My batteries are getting low.

rainerann

Star
I think you are just trying to speak my language now. Which is sweet, but that's not what I see and hear people saying. I just see and hear a lot of sanctimony and hubris. Every limitation isn't meant to be an adversary. Some of them are easy hurdles that one just has to jump over. And it's like people won't make the jump.

You are going to have to work harder to restore my faith in humanity. My batteries are getting low.
Well I am glad what I said made sense to you, but I am using my own language to simply try to create clarity between the two concepts as they are defined in Christianity. I understand that you seem to be referring to when people use the concept of Satan to explain things in a superstitious way; however, that is not why we believe in Jesus as Savior.

The presence of this phenomenon is also central to the precept that Jesus is the light and that we presently live in a state of sensory darkness which creates superstition. This darkness was created by the individual disobedience of Adam and Eve that is the foundation for why we need a savior. We don't need a savior because of the existence of Satan.

@rainerann you said
The savior is necessary because death was inherited when Adam and Eve disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden.The savior is necessary because death was inherited when Adam and Eve disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden.

The whole topic is about desire itself, our carnal nature.
where does it originate? the moment the soul became self-aware they recognised God/submission to God......but then they became aware of all 'else' and at that moment the fire of desire was born.
the fire wasnt because of sin, the sin was a consequence of the fire.
The fire is our carnal nature/the flesh. It IS the serpent. That is why the Jinns are made of fire and angels are made of light. The jinns posessed the next level of awareness..and humans have it too. The jinns are called seraphs in the bible.
Seraphs=burning serpents. When the fire is directed/controlled and upwards that fire becomes, a light...and therefore they rank higher than all the angels of light. However when that fire is not controlled it becomes a burning fire..hence 'burning serpents'.
Their nature is also part of our nature, our lower nature.The serpent being put on the staff of Moses, symbolised the death of the seraphim. The israelites were healed from this symbol.
Jesus dying on the cross is also linked to the death of the serpent...

Basically the LAW represents the control of that fire, bringing it under control. Conquest of the nafs in islam.
Killing the serpent goes a step further.

Obv christians wont get this, but for any muslim reading...
submission=the state of islam
killing the nafs=the state of Ihsan

ihsan means to worship Allah as if we see Him, it is a state where a person completely lets go of the 'self' and is lost in contemplation of God.
These are the levels required...christians think they need to just say some words with the tongue and that is all. In reality the crucifixion was meant as a metaphysical symbol but you were meant to follow that path yourselves and put your carnal nature to death.

Galatians 2:20
"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Ephesians 4:22-24
and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.

Luke 9:23-24
And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.

Romans 6:11-14
Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.

Romans 12:1-2
Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

1 Peter 4:1-2
Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,

Galatians 5:24
Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Luke 14:33
"So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.

Titus 2:12
instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,

this myth that Jesus did all the work so you can sit on your fat american asses is just weak and anti-christian if anything.
Saying Jesus paid the price referring to your accountability of sin, completely contradictsd what Jesus said ie he will return and reject many because they were sinful, yet obv believed in him.

if you don't follow Jesus with the cross and live like he did, you are not worthy of him.
if you think you don't need to live like him because he did it for you, you are following your own delusion.
He built the path, but you have to walk that path.

Romans 6:8
Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,

Romans 6:6-7
knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin.

Galatians 6:14
But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

the amount of quotes here...still doesnt register for many/most of you.

elsbet

Superstar
This show has been on for four years and only Christian conservatives were complaining while I can't find any denominations, Muslims, or anyone else that seems to care.
"One Million Moms will defend our Savior, because He is Holy!" she continued. "Adult Swim is obviously not a family network, and this program is set to air later in the evening when children should be asleep, but that is no excuse. Adult Swim has crossed the line by belittling the Christian religion with foul jokes."

This sounds fake... as though it was written by someone who was trying to actually promote it (Oooooh... the MillionMoms say it's bad!) by sounding like a stereotype---> controversial!
Four years old. lol

Serveto

Star
this myth that Jesus did all the work so you can sit on your fat american asses is just weak and anti-christian if anything.
Lol! That was a great, in fact epic, scolding rant, if read in general, and not specifically at and to @rainerann. I feel both reprimanded and rebuked and just forced my Yankee, American ass to do an extra rep of sit-ups.

Last edited:
ok @Serveto i was just being a bit of a dick there but basically i believe in the symbol
like the circumcision was a symbol, but Paul said it was a dead symbol because it didnn't work right?
it was meant to symbolise the struggle against the flesh, ie cutting the flesh, yet it had no metaphysical effect at a certain point.

so then it got replaced by the cross which symbolized not the cutting of the flesh but it's total death.
therefore as a stronger symbol, is it a living symbol? it has to have an effect on christians. if suddenly christians are sinful/carnal then is the symbol dead too?

polymoog

Superstar
This sort of thing shouldn't even be legal. I don't care who that statement offends.
always with the "legality" with you. do you realize how authoritarian you are? always legislating morality and taste. move to saudi arabia if you want to start banning things that sound blasphemous. youll wind up agreeing with those who believe that salman rushdie should be killed for what hes written about islam.
youre in america, and youve got a right to blaspheme or any hate speech you like. id like to remind you that hate speech IS free speech. if we lose our right to free speech (as hate speech is being reinterpreted as something we DO NOT have a right to these days), we can kiss this forum goodbye, as with anything on the internet that contradicts what the government says.

america has a lot to be embarrassed and disgusted about, but for now, we still can say what we want here in the USA. thats not the case in many parts of europe these days. cherish that right before its gone.

its clear that there is a war against christianity in the western world, but if you dont like, dont watch. thats it, and that goes for ANY religion. vote with your fingertip on the TV remote control. let the market balance itself out when viewership drops.

rainerann

Star
@rainerann you said
The savior is necessary because death was inherited when Adam and Eve disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden.The savior is necessary because death was inherited when Adam and Eve disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden.

The whole topic is about desire itself, our carnal nature.
where does it originate? the moment the soul became self-aware they recognised God/submission to God......but then they became aware of all 'else' and at that moment the fire of desire was born.
the fire wasnt because of sin, the sin was a consequence of the fire.
The fire is our carnal nature/the flesh. It IS the serpent. That is why the Jinns are made of fire and angels are made of light. The jinns posessed the next level of awareness..and humans have it too. The jinns are called seraphs in the bible.
Seraphs=burning serpents. When the fire is directed/controlled and upwards that fire becomes, a light...and therefore they rank higher than all the angels of light. However when that fire is not controlled it becomes a burning fire..hence 'burning serpents'.
Their nature is also part of our nature, our lower nature.The serpent being put on the staff of Moses, symbolised the death of the seraphim. The israelites were healed from this symbol.
Jesus dying on the cross is also linked to the death of the serpent...

Basically the LAW represents the control of that fire, bringing it under control. Conquest of the nafs in islam.
Killing the serpent goes a step further.

Obv christians wont get this, but for any muslim reading...
submission=the state of islam
killing the nafs=the state of Ihsan

ihsan means to worship Allah as if we see Him, it is a state where a person completely lets go of the 'self' and is lost in contemplation of God.
These are the levels required...christians think they need to just say some words with the tongue and that is all. In reality the crucifixion was meant as a metaphysical symbol but you were meant to follow that path yourselves and put your carnal nature to death.

Galatians 2:20
"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Ephesians 4:22-24
and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.

Luke 9:23-24
And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.

Romans 6:11-14
Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.

Romans 12:1-2
Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

1 Peter 4:1-2
Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,

Galatians 5:24
Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Luke 14:33
"So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.

Titus 2:12
instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,

Saying Jesus paid the price referring to your accountability of sin, completely contradictsd what Jesus said ie he will return and reject many because they were sinful, yet obv believed in him.

if you don't follow Jesus with the cross and live like he did, you are not worthy of him.
if you think you don't need to live like him because he did it for you, you are following your own delusion.
He built the path, but you have to walk that path.

Romans 6:8
Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,

Romans 6:6-7
knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin.

Galatians 6:14
But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

the amount of quotes here...still doesnt register for many/most of you.
One of these days, when I am able to have some trust that you are not going to respond with disrespectful little antidotes throughout your post, maybe we can try having a discussion again. Until then, I do not plan to discuss anything with anyone if I am not confident they are not going to pull out the fat American ass thing whenever it suits their fancy and just expects me to excuse your inability to edit your thoughts in a written forum.

For the record, I am not fat. I have always been very active and at no point in my walk with Christ have I ever been able to sit on my ass as though Christ could live my life for me and I didn't have to lift a pampered finger.

In addition to this, I have no idea how you are considering your spammed passages of Bible verses, that I have read more than once because I agree with all of them, contradicts what I was saying about how eternal life is restored through Christ. Therefore, the consequence for disobedience in the Garden is paid and we can inherit eternal life as a result of this. We are saved from a death that was the result of the individual choice that Adam and Eve made to disobey God.

You are using a bunch of verses that serve to encourage the pursuit of that original state to the best of our ability while we live out our lives, which does not create conflict with what I am saying in response to the subject of crediting Satan with everything that is wrong with the world, which I have heard people do.

Reading your post, I would imagine that you would agree with the point that I was trying to make no matter how you try to go about explaining this because I cannot see anywhere within your post that you would support the notion that we need to be saved from Satan right.

You seem to be suggesting that Satan cannot be blamed for the sin that we need to be forgiven of, which was the point that I was trying to make. However, I am not motivated to continue discussing this with you because with all your talk of submission to God, your language suggests something else and I don't imagine that Adam had the same problem before he ate the apple.

You are literally quoting verses about crucifying the flesh and insulting my position as demonstrating an ideology for sitting on my fat American ass for no clear or defined reason all in the same breath. Again, I have never been considered fat in my life. I may have had some body issues growing up seeing super skinny models in magazines, but that does not mean that I was ever fat. ;)

Then how can't Jesus be a middle eastern jew? What sense does that make
I didnt say he "cant" be a middle eastern Jew either. If you want to discuss what leads me to my conclusion on who the people of the bible were/are vs who the "middle eastern Jews" were/are, then we can do that. But it doesnt seem like you read my posts in this thread because you're putting words in my mouth..

Trenton

Veteran
I didnt say he "cant" be a middle eastern Jew either. If you want to discuss what leads me to my conclusion on who the people of the bible were/are vs who the "middle eastern Jews" were/are, then we can do that. But it doesnt seem like you read my posts in this thread because you're putting words in my mouth..
I read that notion into your post I suppose.
And I feel like I'm pretty familiar with your ideas on these matters because I've read your posts on this subject for 3 years now lol. Anyway sorry for putting words in your mouth.

TonyVanDam

Established
It's not racial chauvinism to say Jesus (may peace be upon him) was a Jewish Middle Eastern man. He was a Jewish Middle Eastern man. The world does not revolve around any particular race of people. If I was part of a sinister plot to cover up black history, I wouldn't be suggesting Adam (may peace be upon him) and Eve were Ethiopian.
TWO QUESTIONS:

1. Can you even prove outside of the Bible & Quran that the messish Yahshua [Christ Jesus] ever existence in world history?

2. Why mainstream Christianity [especially those in Roman Cathoticism] continues to promote Jesus and his father YHWH ["God"] as white men?

Last edited:

Trenton

Veteran
TWO QUESTIONS:

1. Can you even prove outside of the Bible & Quran that the messish Yahshua [Christ Jesus] ever existence in world history?

2. Why mainstream Christianity [especially those in Roman Cathoticism] continues to promote Jesus and hit father YHWH ["God"] as white men?
Flavius Jospehus wrote about Jesus and his crucifixion, in a non religious manner. It is, according to his recording of history, an event that took place.

There have also been assortments of archaeological findings around Jerusalem, which depict the likeness and name of Jesus, which are dated to the time he lived. Like wall cravings and such inside buildings.

Yeshuah Ben Yosef more than likely existed historically. Whether or not he was messaih is a religious matter, but as for his actual existence, there's more evidence Jesus walked the earth than for another questionable figure, King Arthur.

Second- does "mainstream Christianity" promote Jesus (may peace be upon him) as white? I don't know about the "mainstream Christianity" you're discussing. When I was a kid, I understood Jesus (may peace be upon him) to be a Jewish Middle Eastern man. No one said anything about him being white and he was depicted as brown. I know someone (recently) who got really passionate about whether the ancient Egyptians were black or not. I think the ancient Egyptians were about the same as today's Egyptians. I think maybe there were some black people. Honestly, I don't really care. With people to whom it is extremely important to claim the ancient Egyptians were black- I see it as some sort of cultural thing. Apparently, for some people it's super important. To me I don't really care and maybe some people project their own thinking and think it's a big deal to everyone else. But to me I don't really care. To me it's not about race. I am tired of race stuff. To me it is like someone trying to pressure me into being for "Black Lives Matter" when that was a big thing. If they want to be super into Black Lives Matter, they can go do that. For me, I don't really care. I have my own life and interests. I'm not a black person or a white person. I'm not interested in other peoples' racial conflict. I'm totally against colonialism and imperialism but those are issues which affect the entire Third World and all the peoples of the Third World- not just one group. And I don't even just limit myself to that- I'm interested in all people. I'm not only out for one set of people.
All this can be boiled down to the truth matters. You might not care about the truth when it comes to who was who, but other people do and that definitely has an effect on today. If you have two kids and you tell one from birth that he descends from royalty and the other that he descends from slaves and peasants, you'll (generally) have one kid with a high self esteem about themselves and their capabilities and the other kid with a low self esteem and a low view of their capabilities. So thats why the true telling of history definitely matters and has an effect on what goes on today. I dont necessarily say any of this to you specifically but just as a springboard to where readers whether, posters or lurkers, can read and draw their own conclusions and understand, even if not agreeing, why these things matter to people. And btw Cesare Borgia is the "White jesus" image TVD is referring to which Im sure you already knew.

Flavius Jospehus wrote about Jesus and his crucifixion, in a non religious manner. It is, according to his recording of history, an event that took place.

There have also been assortments of archaeological findings around Jerusalem, which depict the likeness and name of Jesus, which are dated to the time he lived. Like wall cravings and such inside buildings.

Yeshuah Ben Yosef more than likely existed historically. Whether or not he was messaih is a religious matter, but as for his actual existence, there's more evidence Jesus walked the earth than for another questionable figure, King Arthur.
Some people say Flavius Josephus was a Piso family member (or servant) who wrote the NT so that the Jews could would assimilate. Personally I go back and forth on it but its because of the Pro-Roman tone the NT has as well as the NT being written in Greek and not Hebrew/Aramaic that from that time period, it should be written in being reasons I do see merit in the belief.. Here it is better explained in video form: