Canada Legalized Weed

rainerann

Star
It is being legalized at the state level. It was the 2016 election that several states had propositions to legalize recreational use. If I remember correctly, I am pretty sure it was a FOX news update that showed the map with a little pot leaf stamped on all the states that had legalized marijuana after the last election. However, most people haven't noticed it because the measure still had to be implemented in such as way that marijuana became a saleable item. Legalizing marijuana doesn't mean that you could just buy from your local dealer in many cases.

So, in theory, all 50 states could legalize marijuana by the year 2024. However, you would still have the Federal government saying it was illegal, and we can't vote on a federal law the way we can vote on many of our state laws. We should definitely get rid of the Federal government simply because of this fact that there is no democratic process for laws that exist at the federal level.

Although, if more and more states legalize marijuana, I would still imagine that the Federal law will just become something archaic that no one removes, but that they can't enforce unless we are placed under Marshall law, which is another reason to move everything back to the state level, but good for Canada. Although, this seems like a very delayed response considering BC bud culture has been a thing for a loong time now.

"Thirty states and the District of Columbia currently have laws broadly legalizing marijuana in some form.

Eight states and the District of Columbia have adopted the most expansive laws legalizing marijuana for recreational use. Most recently, sales of recreational-use marijuana in California kicked off on Jan. 1. In Massachusetts, retail sales of cannabis are expected to start later this year in July. Voters in Maine similarly approved a ballot measure legalizing marijuana in 2016. The state, however, has not yet adopted rules for licensed marijuana growers or retailers, nor has it begun accepting licenses. Gov. Paul LePage vetoed a bill that would have established a legal framework for sales of the drug." http://www.governing.com/gov-data/state-marijuana-laws-map-medical-recreational.html

Violette

Star
It is being legalized at the state level. It was the 2016 election that several states had propositions to legalize recreational use. If I remember correctly, I am pretty sure it was a FOX news update that showed the map with a little pot leaf stamped on all the states that had legalized marijuana after the last election. However, most people haven't noticed it because the measure still had to be implemented in such as way that marijuana became a saleable item. Legalizing marijuana doesn't mean that you could just buy from your local dealer in many cases.

So, in theory, all 50 states could legalize marijuana by the year 2024. However, you would still have the Federal government saying it was illegal, and we can't vote on a federal law the way we can vote on many of our state laws. We should definitely get rid of the Federal government simply because of this fact that there is no democratic process for laws that exist at the federal level.

Although, if more and more states legalize marijuana, I would still imagine that the Federal law will just become something archaic that no one removes, but that they can't enforce unless we are placed under Marshall law, which is another reason to move everything back to the state level, but good for Canada. Although, this seems like a very delayed response considering BC bud culture has been a thing for a loong time now.

"Thirty states and the District of Columbia currently have laws broadly legalizing marijuana in some form.

Eight states and the District of Columbia have adopted the most expansive laws legalizing marijuana for recreational use. Most recently, sales of recreational-use marijuana in California kicked off on Jan. 1. In Massachusetts, retail sales of cannabis are expected to start later this year in July. Voters in Maine similarly approved a ballot measure legalizing marijuana in 2016. The state, however, has not yet adopted rules for licensed marijuana growers or retailers, nor has it begun accepting licenses. Gov. Paul LePage vetoed a bill that would have established a legal framework for sales of the drug." http://www.governing.com/gov-data/state-marijuana-laws-map-medical-recreational.html
It amazes me how articulate and well thought out your responses consistently are :)

Aero

Superstar
The stigma bothers me on a spiritual and physical level. But I feel that way about most stigma. Maybe some stigma is earned, but I think that people are supposed to be better than that.

If someone is a huge stoner, than they are a huge stoner. No other images or conclusions should be drawn in our heads. A person may actually fit a stereotype, but it takes knowledge to know that. These type of sweeping generalizations are out there crushing people. People who may not even be what we think they are!

rainerann

Star
It amazes me how articulate and well thought out your responses consistently are :)
That is very nice of you to say, Violette. I really appreciate it. I don't even think of what I am saying as all that articulate most of the time. If I am being articulate, I know it has to be by the grace of God and because I take a lot more breaks lately. ;)

Violette

Star
Haha it's funny. Well, seriously, it's a very dangerous narcotic.
How is it dangerous? You don’t get withdrawals, there is no comedown, and it isn’t physically addictive. Believing weed is as dangerous as alcohol, opioids, or stimulates (which lots of children are prescribed to) is just kind of silly to me.

Aero

Superstar
Well it can be dangerous. There are a lot of E.R visits, simply from marijuana. But I think that has to do with anxiety and stigma. And I disagree with some of how weed culture portrays itself.

Violette

Star
Well it can be dangerous. There are a lot of E.R visits, simply from marijuana. But I think that has to do with anxiety and stigma. And I disagree with some of how weed culture portrays itself.
It’s probably from people taking huge dabs but I can’t imagine anyone getting sick just from smoking flowers. Yeah, stoner culture can be counterproductive at times.

Aero

Superstar
It’s probably from people taking huge dabs but I can’t imagine anyone getting sick just from smoking flowers. Yeah, stoner culture can be counterproductive at times.
Yes. People who have no tolerance eat like 4 servings of potent edibles.

It's like I was saying though. The marijuana alone isn't causing these anxiety attacks. The world pretty much has that whole thing covered. It's always important not to sink into some stupid rabbit hole. It can happen to anyone of us, depending on the situation.

Thunderian

Superstar
People can freak out from being high, but it's usually because they combine weed with booze, or don't know the potency of what they're ingesting. Or both.

We had a guy from LA come into the restaurant I ran in Vancouver. Some loud rapper, thought he was a big deal. He was with a couple local girls, doing shots of Alizee and Hennessy. He kept asking if anyone was holding (which was funny, because nearly everyone was holding), so finally someone gave him a joint and he took his dates outside. Came back in, sat down, threw up, and passed out. The girls were fine.

rainerann

Star
I don’t know. Medical marijuana has been legal in most of the US for so long now, it just make those old scare pamphlets from the government sound even more dumb than they did before.

The medical marijuana community is awesome. You can choose how much thc you want or how much cbd. I have a cbd tincture. I can take it and drive or do whatever because it has no thc in it at all. Truly, I could never go back to the old days of getting a quarter in a ziplock bag. I have been too spoiled by all these fancy advancements.

So I don’t know that anyone has an actual source with a real reason behind why these articles were published that isn’t at least 50% speculation, but they definitely seemed persuaded to preach that marijuana was the devil at one point. However, the reality is that there are many benefits to using cannabis that we have found because people don’t have to hide their plants in their closets anymore and can actually study it the same way other substances are studied.

Bacsi

Star
I don’t know. Medical marijuana has been legal in most of the US for so long now, it just make those old scare pamphlets from the government sound even more dumb than they did before.

The medical marijuana community is awesome. You can choose how much thc you want or how much cbd. I have a cbd tincture. I can take it and drive or do whatever because it has no thc in it at all. Truly, I could never go back to the old days of getting a quarter in a ziplock bag. I have been too spoiled by all these fancy advancements.

So I don’t know that anyone has an actual source with a real reason behind why these articles were published that isn’t at least 50% speculation, but they definitely seemed persuaded to preach that marijuana was the devil at one point. However, the reality is that there are many benefits to using cannabis that we have found because people don’t have to hide their plants in their closets anymore and can actually study it the same way other substances are studied.
CBD is much better, no psycho effect. But still not so well studied, or is it? Any adverse effects?

Last edited:

rainerann

Star
CBD is much better, no psycho effect. But still not so well studied, or is it? Any adversed effects?
I would agree that it could benefit from more study, but it has potential, and it needs the opportunity to do that. Somewhere along my journey on the conspiracy circuit, I learned that marijuana was being cultivated to remove the CBD at one point. Therefore, most of the marijuana was very high THC and low CBD intentionally that was being sold during the time that they were promoting it to be something along the lines of taking heroin basically. Gaining legal access to cultivate marijuana for medical purposes gave people the ability to cultivate different strains. This led to being able to cultivate a marijuana plant for the CBD, and this led to the awareness that CBD has the potential to help with neurological disorders like epilepsy.

I think people associate any side effects with what was known prior to these studies, so people think that you will get hungry or tired or whatever the classic stoner stereotype effects, and this hasn't really changed so much. At least, I haven't heard whether or not side effects have evolved to include anything beyond this. From my personal experience, I know I can't take a lot at any time because I just know myself. So I take a smaller dosage than the bottle suggests most of the time and I don't notice negative side effects. If I don't notice any effect at all, I will take a little more and it helps with the way stress has affected my nervous system.

PTSD is like not having an off switch sometimes, which is exhausting. So I take a little bit and then a little bit more if I need to turn the switch off. I do this because instead of blocking the pain response like ibuprofen would do or something like this when the effect wears off, I feel better than before I took it. I have had a medical marijuana card for two years of my life and it has alleviated the sense of dependency rather than creating it. I feel like I don't have the same stress response I did before so I really don't take it often anymore. It just sits in my cabinet with the rest of my vitamins. Outside of this, I haven't noticed any side effects like a normal medication would advise you of, or that would indicate that I should stop taking it, but I have had relatively good health my whole life too. I don't know what the experience would be for someone with a different preexisting condition.