can we talk about sunscreen?

gettingedu

Established
So I’ve been wondering about the opinions like minded ppl (VC users) have on sunscreen. It’s nothing big but I don’t get the whole sunscreen thing, yeah protect yourself from the sun, skin cancer, all that but would anyone here recommend it? Sunscreen itself is the thing giving skin cancer 99% of the time. And ppl say it help you not have such apparent sight of wrinkles .. so on and so forth but anyways what are your opinions?

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
So I’ve been wondering about the opinions like minded ppl (VC users) have on sunscreen. It’s nothing big but I don’t get the whole sunscreen thing, yeah protect yourself from the sun, skin cancer, all that but would anyone here recommend it? Sunscreen itself is the thing giving skin cancer 99% of the time. And ppl say it help you not have such apparent sight of wrinkles .. so on and so forth but anyways what are your opinions?
I use natural suncreen... it might cost a bit more but its worth it imo.

redqueen

Superstar
I don't use any SS myself Gettingedu
mind Ya I do not go out too much due to
agoraphobia but when I do I don't use any
I am of the mindset that it's what's causing certain
skin cancer,it's another way to keep Us deficient as
they seem to do with anything healthy that helps
Our bodies

Last edited:

Lucy

Star
This is a very interesting topic for me!
Here is my story....
My grandmother died in the 70's of melonama.
She was early 60's and they misdiagnosed her.
My mother was devasted and blamed the sun. She quit going outside and she had 5 rambunctious children who would always be playing outside all day but she stayed in.
Depression started setting in and soon she was diagnosed with MS.
Of course I loved the beach and she was always telling me to wear sunscreen and tried to discourage me but of course being a teen didn't listen.
So to this day I love the sun, outside whenever I can be. Love planting, and camping and the beach are my favorite vacations!

Now about 2 months ago I scheduled an appointment for a full body check because I had a precancerous mole 6 years ago. Was just being cautious.
Well I had a mole that the doctor said had to be removed asap. Well the biopsy came back melonama!
Soooo surgery scheduled May 25th. I guess I will have quite a scar. And very limited walking for 2 weeks till stitches come out.

Now to tie this all together...

My mother died young and had a sad life because of fear of sun. Imagine my sadness when I started researching about vitamin D defiancincy being a cause of autoimmune diseases and depression.
She was vitamin D deficient.

My father spent his childhood outside playing everyday. He would get such bad sunburns, he said his friends and him would see who could peel the largest piece of skin off!! Haha. Also he was always outside everyday he could till the day he died. He loved the outdoors! And he never wore sunscreen!

The only time I ever wear sunscreen is on my nose, cause I don't like to look like Rudolph! I have had sun poisoning, horrible sunburns, but most of the time just a nice light tan! :)

I don't believe in sunscreen because it blocks your body absorbing one of the most important vitamins for over all health! I believe without a doubt all my sun exposure has kept me from serious autoimmune diseases and cancer.
And , also I believe without a shadow of doubt most sunscreens CAUSE CANCERS.
They are getting recalled all the time....

So yes, I have melonama. Not a good thing. But will not being staying out of the sun and no regrets!
And will still not wear sunscreen.

Oh and I am living proof that sun does not prematurely age you. It's all about genes. People always compliment me on my skin and they ask how I keep my completion so pretty. I kid you not when I tell them it's from all the sunburns through the years! Chemical peels for free! Haha

polymoog

Superstar
im outside all the time. i never use anything.

if you have a very pale complexion, you should slowly increase your exposure so you do not burn.

if you feel you should wear something, follow tempests advice and get something natural without harmful chemicals and aluminum compounds which soak right into your pores.

Mini Contini

Established
Does anyone have any experience with using raspberry seed oil as a sunscreen? Sometimes you read it protects you from UVB, or both UVB and UVA, or that it doesn’t provide any protection at all… What I also find to be weird is that RSO contains high amounts of vitamin A (retinol), while it is said you should never apply retinol on your skin when you’re about to go into the sun…

eyes@wide@open

Established
I mostly don't don't use one, especially not for the first few days on holiday - just sit in shade, use a light protective cover-up, hat etc. If I do use one I make it at home...this recipe with coconut, walnut and raspberry seed oil (instead of shea butter). Works well as a spray and smells great.

elsbet

Superstar
I don't use sunscreen either. :)
I grew up surrounded by water, and we were always at the beach or in a pool somewhere.

"... vitamin D defiancincy being a cause of autoimmune diseases and depression."​

Yeah. Kind of scary how far they'll go, to keep everyone deficient, dependent and scared. :/

elsbet

Superstar
Does anyone have any experience with using raspberry seed oil as a sunscreen? Sometimes you read it protects you from UVB, or both UVB and UVA, or that it doesn’t provide any protection at all… What I also find to be weird is that RSO contains high amounts of vitamin A (retinol), while it is said you should never apply retinol on your skin when you’re about to go into the sun…
I just caught that--> RETINOL.*
I looked it up to find sunscreen benefits but this caught my eye:

The DNA-material in question is large water-soluble crystals, which the skin cannot assimilate that forms a thins transparent film on the skin surface.​
We suspect that some might feel a certain hesitation to rub DNA onto the skin, but DNA-material is not the same thing as genes but [it is] solely the material that genes are made of, in the same way that muscles are made out of protein.​
Hesitant... yes; and rightfully so.
This experiment made headlines in science and fashion magazines back in 2017. I assume it's on the market now.

But wth-- "large water-soluble crystals."
What kind of "crystals?" (I wondered)

It was not that we chose
salmon sperm
,“

says German.
“It’s just one of the readily available
DNA sources.”
-.-​

1. For the study, researchers created DNA film, a thin sheet of salmon sperm DNA spread onto a piece of glass and left to dry, and then exposed the film to both UVA and UVB light. Aug 3, 2017
2. Another advantage is that it’s made out of DNA, something that we already have in our bodies, so it’s likely that it’s not toxic,’ says Piccirillo.​
The material is currently undergoing biological testing, German adds.

Words fail.

(Ugh.) <-- link
•••​

* Raspberry Oil
They did a comparison on a woman's back: SPF 20, 30 and 50 on one side, and on the other side, Raspberry oil and two kinds of Frying oil (coconut and evoo).
Doesn't pairing the Raspberry oil with those two seem strange to you? As though they want to associate it with other trendy, but ultimately bad, ideas from the past-- like baby-oil + iodine, or butter / crisco-- in place of manufactured products like

Rhetorical question of course.
I just smh.

Moirin

We all need to be mindful to the damage caused by toxic products and single use plastics
Literally thousands of sun screen bottles lie on beaches breaking down into micro plastics
Sometime we just need to take time and process
Wide brimmed hats provide protection, as does natural fiber clothing
Our planet is dying and that is vitally more important than posing on a beach in skimpy beachwear like dead meat for sale
Cover up, modesty is safety, for our plant and for ourselves

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
I just caught that--> RETINOL.*
I looked it up to find sunscreen benefits but this caught my eye:

The DNA-material in question is large water-soluble crystals, which the skin cannot assimilate that forms a thins transparent film on the skin surface.​
We suspect that some might feel a certain hesitation to rub DNA onto the skin, but DNA-material is not the same thing as genes but [it is] solely the material that genes are made of, in the same way that muscles are made out of protein.​
Hesitant... yes; and rightfully so.
This experiment made headlines in science and fashion magazines back in 2017. I assume it's on the market now.

But wth-- "large water-soluble crystals."
What kind of "crystals?" (I wondered)

It was not that we chose
salmon sperm
,“

says German.
“It’s just one of the readily available
DNA sources.”
-.-​

1. For the study, researchers created DNA film, a thin sheet of salmon sperm DNA spread onto a piece of glass and left to dry, and then exposed the film to both UVA and UVB light. Aug 3, 2017
2. Another advantage is that it’s made out of DNA, something that we already have in our bodies, so it’s likely that it’s not toxic,’ says Piccirillo.​
The material is currently undergoing biological testing, German adds.

Words fail.

(Ugh.) <-- link
•••​

* Raspberry Oil
They did a comparison on a woman's back: SPF 20, 30 and 50 on one side, and on the other side, Raspberry oil and two kinds of Frying oil (coconut and evoo).
Doesn't pairing the Raspberry oil with those two seem strange to you? As though they want to associate it with other trendy, but ultimately bad, ideas from the past-- like baby-oil + iodine, or butter / crisco-- in place of manufactured products like

Rhetorical question of course.
I just smh.
Interesting indeed... your final verdict on the matter?

Tikawanda

Established
I'm not understanding why people wouldn't use sunscreen. Conspiracy theories aside for a moment, there's nothing pleasant about getting sunburns, so if sunscreen can be used to prevent them, then I'm all for it. I don't regularly apply it though, only when I know I'm going to be outside for a lengthy stretch of time.

But back to the conspiracy stuff, being wary about something that experts recommend simply because you don't trust people with power or influence is frankly stupid. Experts also recommend drinking plenty of water, eating healthy, and getting plenty of sleep. Why would common sense be something to fear?

FilthPig

Veteran
Most of your sunscreens got Titanium-dioxide in it .FDA says it's ok to consume but there is plenty of evidence that it causes cancer and is rather harmful for all kinds of life.
They like to pretend it doesnt give cancer since its in all kinds of products.

Behumble

Established
No sunscreen for me, not because I don't trust experts recommending it. I just don't think it's necessary to put unknown ingredients on the biggest organ of your body, slowly cooking it in the sun only to be absorbed into your system.

There's a big difference between going out to fulfill a purpose like getting from a to b, buying groceries, farming or gardening etc and stripping off to bake in the heat for hours. We need to be exposed to sunlight, too much or too little will have negative effects. Natural sunscreen would be shade, shelter and clothing. Just because it's hot doesn't meant we need to take our clothes off and expose our skin.

This is the same reason why I don't wear make up. Layering chemicals on the skin for hours and the body absorbing it, who knows the long term effects? I've mostly stopped buying products that comes in plastic packaging, they mass produce it but we don't really need it. Their marketing strategies are so good that we now feel dependent on these products. This is the consumer mindset they want to instill in us.

It saves me a lot of money and when I go to the supermarket I just buy food and a few household items.