can we talk about sunscreen?

Simka

Established
I have light skin and I'll have sunburn if I don't use sunscreen when it is hot outside. I can't even go shopping or buy groceries without it. My shoulders and hand will be sunburned for sure. Moreover, I know that if used regularly, sunscreen also helps prevent skin cancer and premature aging. Though I prefer buying sunscreens only at trustworthy drugstores. The best for me is Anthelios from the Canadian pharmacy site. It contains patented sunscreens Mexoryl and other sunscreen filters and has been rigorously formulated to ensure a high level of sun protection. It works well for me.

Last edited:

clambot

Veteran
Here in the southwest, we have many many road gangs: landscaping gangs, golf course maintenance gangs, construction gangs, roofing gangs, gangs of all kinds who work all day long under a blistering sun. I know many people who have worked on various gangs from sunup to sundown for thirty years. None wear sunscreen. None get sunburned. None get skin cooties. Their secrets? Among others, they

1. Wear proper clothing. Wide brimmed hats and long sleeved shirts.
2. Drink water constantly to replenish their sweat.
3. Take frequent breaks in the shade.
4. Eat lots of beans, rice, and tortillas. No meat until after sundown.
5. When the sun goes down, they also switch to drinking beer (if they drink beer.)

My yard man (landscaper) is 75 years old. He scoffs at "sun screen"...and he's WHITE. Pale as a ghost.

He and I, and our generation, grew up practically living outdoors under the blistering sun. We didn't HAVE "sunscreen" back then. But we knew how to avoid sunburn. Sure, we got burned sometimes, and had righteous tans ... but no skin cooties.

Some of the aged ones back then got what we called "age spots" (or "liver spots") ... what one might call "skin cancer" now. Oddly, they never had surgery for them, or any other number of ailments. They usually lived to be 90 or more .... and still do.

Medicine is just a racket these days. It does quite well with the current generation.

polymoog

Superstar
4. Eat lots of beans, rice, and tortillas. No meat until after sundown.
i dont know if that has much to do with the sun exposure (but if im wrong, please correct me). most likely they avoid meat at lunchtime because it ties up ones digestion, dragging ones performance down for a few hours. working in the heat, its best to eat light: fruit, salad, melon-- anything easily digested.

1. Wear proper clothing. Wide brimmed hats and long sleeved shirts.
100% cotton only. it will wick the sweat away from you and keep you cooler.
polyester or poly(ester) mix clothing is disgusting. youre basically sweating from contact with plastic clothing, your pores are opening, and the plastics are soaking into your skin. that goes for your socks, too. there ARE 98% cotton (+2% elastic) socks out there. find them and buy them. i found some on amazon, although it took a long time.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
i dont know if that has much to do with the sun exposure (but if im wrong, please correct me). most likely they avoid meat at lunchtime because it ties up ones digestion, dragging ones performance down for a few hours. working in the heat, its best to eat light: fruit, salad, melon-- anything easily digested.

100% cotton only. it will wick the sweat away from you and keep you cooler.
polyester or poly(ester) mix clothing is disgusting. youre basically sweating from contact with plastic clothing, your pores are opening, and the plastics are soaking into your skin. that goes for your socks, too. there ARE 98% cotton (+2% elastic) socks out there. find them and buy them. i found some on amazon, although it took a long time.
There are plenty of vegans/vegetarians in Mexico.... they just dont use those titles for them. Instead, they are often referred to simply as "poor" eh?

Awoken2

Superstar
There's a fair bit of valuable advice here....The only thing I wouldn't trust him on.....is to wear sunscreen.

I never do anyway

Thanks to Dr Sam Bailey once more for confirming my bias.

Common sense must dictate that if an individual puts their physical health into the hands of an organisation that only profits when you're ill it's a foregone conclusion you are going to get ill.

free2018

Star
So I’ve been wondering about the opinions like minded ppl (VC users) have on sunscreen. It’s nothing big but I don’t get the whole sunscreen thing, yeah protect yourself from the sun, skin cancer, all that but would anyone here recommend it? Sunscreen itself is the thing giving skin cancer 99% of the time. And ppl say it help you not have such apparent sight of wrinkles .. so on and so forth but anyways what are your opinions?
Yes, it sadly is a carcinogen. Rigged reality is a dark place if you think about it too hard.

polymoog

Superstar
Thanks to Dr Sam Bailey once more for confirming my bias.

Common sense must dictate that if an individual puts their physical health into the hands of an organisation that only profits when you're ill it's a foregone conclusion you are going to get ill.

i would love to rub lotion on sam bailey. i dont give a damn if the sun is out or not.

Flarepath

Star
Regarding sunbathing, it turns people orange so who the hell wants to do it anyway?..:)