Can someone explain why celebrities, music videos, etc use and contain obvious symbolism?

Honestly? In my opinion, there's no real reason behind most symbolism in the modern day... And if there is a meaning, it's a lot more mundane (but more insidious in my opinion); it's to get people talking about things that ultimately don't mean anything in the big picture.

Symbols, images and etc. are convenient tools of indoctrination. For a simple example, look at how easily people throw up the Devil Horns handsign.... At this stage in the game, everyone knows what it means, but the image has been normalized to the point where parents even encourage their children to do so. They are so desensitized and in the dark, that they willing invite satan into their and their children's lives. It seems like a small thing, but the forces behind this agenda realize the value of incremental success as well as spectacular victory.
The "devil horns" means different things to different groups. To college sports fans from Texas, it symbolizes the longhorns. To people into heavy metal, it symbolizes the music (which one could call "satanic", but for most people isn't), for Italians, it's actually a ward against evil.

The fact the symbols don't have a universal meaning is the reason why I feel focus on it is sort of silly and distracting.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Honestly? In my opinion, there's no real reason behind most symbolism in the modern day... And if there is a meaning, it's a lot more mundane (but more insidious in my opinion); it's to get people talking about things that ultimately don't mean anything in the big picture.

The "devil horns" means different things to different groups. To college sports fans from Texas, it symbolizes the longhorns. To people into heavy metal, it symbolizes the music (which one could call "satanic", but for most people isn't), for Italians, it's actually a ward against evil.

The fact the symbols don't have a universal meaning is the reason why I feel focus on it is sort of silly and distracting.
Outside of Hook Em Horns, nobody thinks it has anything to do ith anything else other than devil ish. The reason they throw it up to encourage "rocking on" is because it derives from the "hail satan" salute. Anything else is just wishful thinking.