Can meaning exist without God?

Kung Fu

Superstar
I've never seen that movie but I've heard it was probably Cameron's best one. An Avatar is a Hindu concept (probably the oldest religion in the world), and there are verses in Vedic scripture that apparently predict the coming of various religious figures, including Jesus. Some say that Jesus was an Avatar, although it conflicts somewhat with the Hindu concept.
The most holiest and earliest scriptures of the Hindus represent God as one, and that there is no likeness to him that humans could imagine, and that you should take none other gods to worship except for Him.

"Those whose intelligence has been stolen by material desires surrender unto demigods and follow the particular rules and regulations of worship according to their own natures."
[Bhagavad Gita 7:20]

"He is One only without a second."
[Chandogya Upanishad 6:2:1]

"There is no image of Him."
[Yajurveda 32:3]

It's funny Hindus ignore that part of their scripture but yet follow all the later writings of their scriptures.

Last edited:

Violette

Star
I've never seen that movie but I've heard it was probably Cameron's best one. An Avatar is a Hindu concept (probably the oldest religion in the world), and there are verses in Vedic scripture that apparently predict the coming of various religious figures, including Jesus. Some say that Jesus was an Avatar, although it conflicts somewhat with the Hindu concept.
The plot isn’t very original but the visuals make up for it, it’s beautiful. I can see why people would see Jesus as an avatar from a Hindu perspective. My understanding is the purpose of avatars is to restore dharma by empowering the good and conquering evil. There’s so many religions in the world but all repeat the same elements to an extent and share common ethics. Good vs evil, waiting on a Messiah, community, etc. I don’t believe that all religions are true but I do believe they’re all derived from the same truth and that’s why they have a lot in common.

Helioform

Star
The most holiest and earliest scriptures of the Hindus represent God as one, and that there is no likeness to him that humans could imagine, and that you should take none other gods to worship except for Him.

"Those whose intelligence has been stolen by material desires surrender unto demigods and follow the particular rules and regulations of worship according to their own natures."
[Bhagavad Gita 7:20]

"He is One only without a second."
[Chandogya Upanishad 6:2:1]

"There is no image of Him."
[Yajurveda 32:3]

It's funny Hindus ignore that part of their scripture but yet follow all the later writings of their scriptures.
Well there are contradictions in most religious scriptures, which is why I don't follow any particular religion but take all the similar aspects into consideration.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Well there are contradictions in most religious scriptures, which is why I don't follow any particular religion but take all the similar aspects into consideration.
Most religions have been tampered with over time and that's why you see this contradiction. For example, with Hinduism the earliest scriptures are very similar to that of Islam but as the religion got older and their priests started accumulating more power their beliefs also started to change. Their earliest scriptures tell us that God is One, worship him alone, and there is nothing in this world that is in His likeness but yet they worship 100 of gods if not thousands and they statues and pictures of their gods everywhere.

Helioform

Star
Most religions have been tampered with over time and that's why you see this contradiction. For example, with Hinduism the earliest scriptures are very similar to that of Islam but as the religion got older and their priests started accumulating more power their beliefs also started to change. Their earliest scriptures tell us that God is One, worship him alone, and there is nothing in this world that is in His likeness but yet they worship 100 of gods if not thousands and they statues and pictures of their gods everywhere.
I agree. Like institutions and organizations, religions tend to have entropy and unfortunately get corrupted after a long time. Since Hinduism is very old it has changed a lot since the original teachings. Some of it is also forces trying to confuse us, such as removing certain books from scripture.

mecca

Superstar
How is that? They gain nothing and lose everything after death. If nothing exists after the universe is gone then everything in this life ultimately has no meaning or value. The universe will end eventually, it’s finite.
How can you possibly know that.

In every way.. wow.
I'm not pro atheism or anything... but there is meaning in life and people can find meaning that doesn't revolve around what happens after death or in the afterlife. There is an abundance of ways that a person could find meaning in life and I'm saying that an atheist would find it in any one of those ways except through the belief in God. Atheists are not going around killing themselves en masse so they obviously find meaning in their lives. My comment wasn't meant to make you offended, I'm just pointing out that atheists can and do find meaning and they are people who do not believe in God.

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
I'm not pro atheism or anything... but there is meaning in life and people can find meaning that doesn't revolve around what happens after death or in the afterlife. There is an abundance of ways that a person could find meaning in life and I'm saying that an atheist would find it in any one of those ways except through the belief in God. Atheists are not going around killing themselves en masse so they obviously find meaning in their lives. My comment wasn't meant to make you offended, I'm just pointing out that atheists can and do find meaning and they are people who do not believe in God.
I'm not offended.

You meant this:
Atheists CAN find meaning in their lives in every way except through religion or belief in God.

That makes more sense. lol

I think a lot of people who call themselves atheist are really just mad at God. Their contempt gives them away. But that's just my opinion.

mecca

Superstar
You meant this:
Atheists CAN find meaning in their lives in every way except through religion or belief in God.

That makes more sense. lol
That's basically what I was saying.
I think a lot of people who call themselves atheist are really just mad at God. Their contempt gives them away. But that's just my opinion.
A lot of them probably are... if they were not, they would probably just call themselves agnostic and move on.

mecca

Superstar
How is that? They gain nothing and lose everything after death. If nothing exists after the universe is gone then everything in this life ultimately has no meaning or value. The universe will end eventually, it’s finite.
You don't have to live forever for your life to have meaning. Some people find meaning in the fact that life is finite and a precious thing that we only get to experience once. There's plenty of ways to find meaning.

Violette

Star
I don’t think you understand the point I’m trying to make. This has nothing to do with suicide? I’m talking about a bigger picture not what people do in the day to day lives to be happy. If you don’t believe in any true purpose in life, only chances, then I don’t see how your life can truly have meaning.

mecca

Superstar
If you don’t believe in any true purpose in life, only chances, then I don’t see how your life can truly have meaning.
I'm saying that they do believe in a purpose but that purpose is not related to God or heaven or hell.
This has nothing to do with suicide?
I brought up suicide because if someone doesn't find meaning in their life, they are likely to kill themselves.

Violette

Star
You don't have to live forever for your life to have meaning. Some people find meaning in the fact that life is finite and a precious thing that we only get to experience once. There's plenty of ways to find meaning.
You can find temporary meaning in a plethora of ways but all of that will cease to exist when you die. This universe will end eventually consuming every memory, hope, and accomplishment that ever occurred. None of it will ultimately have any value, it was all random chances anyways.

mecca

Superstar
You can find temporary meaning in a plethora of ways but all of that will cease to exist when you die. This universe will end eventually consuming every memory, hope, and accomplishment that ever occurred. None of it will ultimately have any value, it was all random chances anyways.
Yeah that's what happens but people still keep living anyway.

rainerann

Star
If you ever spend any time in a hospital, you will find that most people are not content with the idea that life is finite. I have seen people in their 90's who were full code because either the patient or the family were not ready for the idea that their life would end even though they had reached old age, maybe even living longer than many people will be able to live.

Most people in the hospital know that when you do chest compressions on someone in their 90's because it is part of full code status, their ribs can break under the compressions. Still, this is something many people decide to do even when they have reached old age, even when the patient is suffering in such a way as to cause their family to make health decisions for them. Family members will seek to keep their family members on full code even when they can't decide one way or the other for themselves and they are as old as 90.

Most people are not okay with a finite life. It just rubs everyone the wrong way, but many people respond to this reality differently.

Violette

Star
If you ever spend any time in a hospital, you will find that most people are not content with the idea that life is finite. I have seen people in their 90's who were full code because either the patient or the family were not ready for the idea that their life would end even though they had reached old age, maybe even living longer than many people will be able to live.

Most people in the hospital know that when you do chest compressions on someone in their 90's because it is part of full code status, their ribs can break under the compressions. Still, this is something many people decide to do even when they have reached old age, even when the patient is suffering in such a way as to cause their family to make health decisions for them. Family members will seek to keep their family members on full code even when they can't decide one way or the other for themselves and they are as old as 90.

Most people are not okay with a finite life. It just rubs everyone the wrong way, but many people respond to this reality differently.
Yes, death is very scary for most people. I think very few can look death in face with no fear. I had a patient during clinicals that was in a vegative state for 8+ years...they suffered a lot from infections but their family just couldn’t let them go.

elsbet

Superstar
Yes, death is very scary for most people. I think very few can look death in face with no fear. I had a patient during clinicals that was in a vegative state for 8+ years...they suffered a lot from infections but their family just couldn’t let them go.
That's horrible. :(