Can A Christian Lose Salvation?

Thunderian

Superstar
I was going to write my own thread on this, but this piece from Got Questions does a better job than I could have. This topic is important because Satan wants us to doubt our salvation. There are many defeated Christians who are spending far too much time worrying about whether they are truly saved or not. We can be sure from scripture that our salvation will never be taken away.

Can a Christian lose salvation?

gotquestions.org/Christian-lose-salvation.html

Question: "Can a Christian lose salvation?"

Answer:
First, the term Christian must be defined. A “Christian” is not a person who has said a prayer or walked down an aisle or been raised in a Christian family. While each of these things can be a part of the Christian experience, they are not what makes a Christian. A Christian is a person who has fully trusted in Jesus Christ as the only Savior and therefore possesses the Holy Spirit (John 3:16; Acts 16:31; Ephesians 2:8–9).

So, with this definition in mind, can a Christian lose salvation? It’s a crucially important question. Perhaps the best way to answer it is to examine what the Bible says occurs at salvation and to study what losing salvation would entail:

A Christian is a new creation. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17). A Christian is not simply an “improved” version of a person; a Christian is an entirely new creature. He is “in Christ.” For a Christian to lose salvation, the new creation would have to be destroyed.

A Christian is redeemed. “For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect” (1 Peter 1:18–19). The word redeemed refers to a purchase being made, a price being paid. We were purchased at the cost of Christ’s death. For a Christian to lose salvation, God Himself would have to revoke His purchase of the individual for whom He paid with the precious blood of Christ.

A Christian is justified. “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 5:1). To justify is to declare righteous. All those who receive Jesus as Savior are “declared righteous” by God. For a Christian to lose salvation, God would have to go back on His Word and “un-declare” what He had previously declared. Those absolved of guilt would have to be tried again and found guilty. God would have to reverse the sentence handed down from the divine bench.

A Christian is promised eternal life. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). Eternal life is the promise of spending forever in heaven with God. God promises, “Believe and you will have eternal life.” For a Christian to lose salvation, eternal life would have to be redefined. The Christian is promised to live forever. Does eternal not mean “eternal”?

A Christian is marked by God and sealed by the Spirit. “You also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory” (Ephesians 1:13–14). At the moment of faith, the new Christian is marked and sealed with the Spirit, who was promised to act as a deposit to guarantee the heavenly inheritance. The end result is that God’s glory is praised. For a Christian to lose salvation, God would have to erase the mark, withdraw the Spirit, cancel the deposit, break His promise, revoke the guarantee, keep the inheritance, forego the praise, and lessen His glory.

A Christian is guaranteed glorification. “Those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified” (Romans 8:30). According to Romans 5:1, justification is ours at the moment of faith. According to Romans 8:30, glorification comes with justification. All those whom God justifies are promised to be glorified. This promise will be fulfilled when Christians receive their perfect resurrection bodies in heaven. If a Christian can lose salvation, then Romans 8:30 is in error, because God could not guarantee glorification for all those whom He predestines, calls, and justifies.

A Christian cannot lose salvation. Most, if not all, of what the Bible says happens to us when we receive Christ would be invalidated if salvation could be lost. Salvation is the gift of God, and God’s gifts are “irrevocable” (Romans 11:29). A Christian cannot be un-newly created. The redeemed cannot be unpurchased. Eternal life cannot be temporary. God cannot renege on His Word. Scripture says that God cannot lie (Titus 1:2).

Two common objections to the belief that a Christian cannot lose salvation concern these experiential issues: 1) What about Christians who live in a sinful, unrepentant lifestyle? 2) What about Christians who reject the faith and deny Christ? The problem with these objections is the assumption that everyone who calls himself a “Christian” has actually been born again. The Bible declares that a true Christian will not live a state of continual, unrepentant sin (1 John 3:6). The Bible also says that anyone who departs the faith is demonstrating that he was never truly a Christian (1 John 2:19). He may have been religious, he may have put on a good show, but he was never born again by the power of God. “By their fruit you will recognize them” (Matthew 7:16). The redeemed of God belong “to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God” (Romans 7:4).

Nothing can separate a child of God from the Father’s love (Romans 8:38–39). Nothing can remove a Christian from God’s hand (John 10:28–29). God guarantees eternal life and maintains the salvation He has given us. The Good Shepherd searches for the lost sheep, and, “when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home” (Luke 15:5–6). The lamb is found, and the Shepherd gladly bears the burden; our Lord takes full responsibility for bringing the lost one safely home.

Jude 24–25 further emphasizes the goodness and faithfulness of our Savior: “To Him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.”

Lisa

Superstar
What about 1Timothy 4:1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in the latter times some will fall away from the faith. To be able to fall away from the faith one must have first been of the faith don't you think?
Then there is
Hebrews 6:4-6
For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

So it seems that people can be true Christians and fall away from the faith...and if you do, you can't be renewed again.

Damien50

Star
It's not the same thing. I don't believe in once saved always saved. I believe we can lose our salvation. Now ask me if I live in condemnation or ever doubt my salvation :D:p:cool:.

I also have zero desire to debate this subject because I don't enjoy arguing with people. The truth is out there for those who want it. Seek and you shall find. Challenged yet comforted :D:p:cool:
Could you explain why you believe it?

JoChris

Superstar
What about 1Timothy 4:1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in the latter times some will fall away from the faith. To be able to fall away from the faith one must have first been of the faith don't you think?
Then there is
Hebrews 6:4-6
For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

So it seems that people can be true Christians and fall away from the faith...and if you do, you can't be renewed again.
I have read the argument that this is referring to people who claimed to be Christians, lived like they were Christians but eventually revealed their true colours and walked away from the faith for good.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+John+2:18-20&version=KJV
"They went out from us...."

Todd

Star
Another one of those questions I have decided is not really worth arguing about. What is the motivation in trying to prove either side is true or not?
If once saved always saved is true, how does that effect my daily walk? It shouldn't, because as a Christian I should be motivated to follow Christ and be lead by the spirit, irregardless of the threat of "losing" my salvation.
If it is possible to lose my salvation, how does that effect my daily walk? It shouldn't, because as a Christian I should be motivated to follow Christ and be lead by the spirit, irregardless of the threat of "losing" my salvation.

It's not my place to judge other people either, so the question should have no relevance in how I deal with other people either....

Lisa

Superstar
I have read the argument that this is referring to people who claimed to be Christians, lived like they were Christians but eventually revealed their true colours and walked away from the faith for good.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+John+2:18-20&version=KJV
"They went out from us...."
O, I know that that's what is said but if you read the verses, people fell away from the true faith. In 1 Timothy, some will fall away from the faith...means that they were believers, how can you fall away from faith if you never really believed?

Hebrews 6 makes it clear that people did taste and were partakers of the heavenly gift YET they did fall away...and because they did that they can't be regenerated.

For myself I think it's pretty clear.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
Another one of those questions I have decided is not really worth arguing about. What is the motivation in trying to prove either side is true or not?
If once saved always saved is true, how does that effect my daily walk? It shouldn't, because as a Christian I should be motivated to follow Christ and be lead by the spirit, irregardless of the threat of "losing" my salvation.
If it is possible to lose my salvation, how does that effect my daily walk? It shouldn't, because as a Christian I should be motivated to follow Christ and be lead by the spirit, irregardless of the threat of "losing" my salvation.

It's not my place to judge other people either, so the question should have no relevance in how I deal with other people either....
Well I would imagine if you believe once saved always saved a Christian could get complacent and say well, since I'm guaranteed then if I slip here or there it's not going to matter. This might be an unconscious thought but I bet it's in the back of their mind? Also I told a lady that I thought a person wasn't once saved always saved and she said that's a scary thought. And I agree it is scary to think that you are guaranteed, makes ya try harder, I think to be obedient.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Well I would imagine if you believe once saved always saved a Christian could get complacent and say well, since I'm guaranteed then if I slip here or there it's not going to matter. This might be an unconscious thought but I bet it's in the back of their mind? Also I told a lady that I thought a person wasn't once saved always saved and she said that's a scary thought. And I agree it is scary to think that you are guaranteed, makes ya try harder, I think to be obedient.
What do you mean by "slip"?

Lisa

Superstar
What do you mean by "slip"?
Sin. We are told that we can't sin more so that grace increases more...I would imagine if you believe once saved always saved that in your mind that's what it would come down to....

Kung Fu

Superstar
Sin. We are told that we can't sin more so that grace increases more...I would imagine if you believe once saved always saved that in your mind that's what it would come down to....
If I was a Christian and believed that Jesus was my Lord and Saviour and that he died on the cross for my sins I still possibly wouldn't be saved?

Lisa

Superstar
If I was a Christian and believed that Jesus was my Lord and Saviour and that he died on the cross for my sins I still possibly wouldn't be saved?
No you would be, but you have to walk with God. Sin seperates us from God, so if you start to walk away from God, not taking sinning seriously or if you aren't obedient to what He wants, then there is the very real possibility that you will be going in the other direction and fall away.

Paul was serious when he says that you can't sin more so that grace increases. I know that's what you think grace is all about but it's not.

Kung Fu

Superstar
No you would be, but you have to walk with God. Sin seperates us from God, so if you start to walk away from God, not taking sinning seriously or if you aren't obedient to what He wants, then there is the very real possibility that you will be going in the other direction and fall away.
I don't understand. On the one hand, you're saying I will be but on the other hand, you're saying I might not be. Which is it?

Lisa

Superstar
I don't understand. On the one hand, you're saying I will be but on the other hand, you're saying I might not be. Which is it?
If you accept Jesus as savior then you are saved, however it's NOT a once saved always saved deal.

Kung Fu

Superstar
If you accept Jesus as savior then you are saved, however it's NOT a once saved always saved deal.
Again, if I continuously commit sins, for example, I remain a thief and murderer until the day I die but I still hold true to Jesus being my saviour, am I saved?

Lisa

Superstar
Again, if I continuously commit sins, for example, I remain a thief and murderer until the day I die but I still hold true to Jesus being my saviour, am I saved?
If you continuously sin without repentance and turning from your sin, which I take to be the case in your example then no. God will not be mocked.

However, one must also not be deceived and believe differently from what the Bible teaches too...you can fall away through deception by believing false gospels.

Kung Fu

Superstar
If you continuously sin without repentance and turning from your sin, which I take to be the case in your example then no. God will not be mocked.
Let me get this straight. If I haven't repented for my sins but die believing that Jesus is my Lord and Saviour and that he died on the cross for MY SINS, I'm not saved?

Lisa

Superstar
Let me get this straight. If I haven't repented for my sins but die believing that Jesus is my Lord and Saviour and that he died on the cross for MY SINS, I'm not saved?
Haha, I was about to add to what I said because I realize I'm as clear as mud right now.

So let's say you believe in Jesus and are saved. You start to read the Bible and learn about God. You still sin, because Christians are still sinners, we are just saved by grace.

So, God begins what He calls a good work in you. He starts to work in your heart and changing the way you think so that you become more pleasing to Him. This process takes all your life. God is dealing with your sins but if you refuse to let God deal with you or you think it's too hard and start to go back to the way you were and keep sinning without this walk with God, without repentance for those sins then yes, it's very real that you will fall away.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Haha, I was about to add to what I said because I realize I'm as clear as mud right now.

So let's say you believe in Jesus and are saved. You start to read the Bible and learn about God. You still sin, because Christians are still sinners, we are just saved by grace.
You're confusing me more and more. You're hopping back and forth.

So if I died a sinner without repenting for my sins but believed Jesus as my Saviour I'm saved by grace? If so what does that mean? Do I get to go to Heaven?

Thunderian

Superstar
There is no chance that if you believe these things that you won't be saved or that you will lose your salvation.

The Bible says that we are saved by grace, through faith, and not by anything else. If we can lose our salvation because of something we do or don't do, then we are not saved by faith, but by actions.

The verses in the Bible that seem to contradict the doctrine of eternal security don't need to be explained by those who hold to the doctrine. The verses that teach eternal security need to be explained by those who don't. Because if the verses that say, believe and be saved, don't mean that, what do they mean? When Jesus said in John 14 that the Holy Spirit would dwell forever within believers, what was he talking about?

If the Bible tells me that if I believe I will be saved, how much do you think Satan loves it when some well-meaning Christian comes along and says, "Actually, the Bible doesn't say that at all."?

The effect of this on a new or struggling Christian can be devastating.