BTS discussion thread

theartbook35

Veteran
When kpop stops attracting Western fans, they will be the only group remembered.
No they won't. There are many groups who came before them that had a much larger impact, who will definitely be remembered. When BTS disband and disappear into the background, there will be the occasional documentary about them, and those documentaries will be relevant to a specific generation and no one else.

BTS are not as popular or as well known as people think they are. They have huge numbers because their fans manipulate those numbers.

No they won't. There are many groups who came before them that had a much larger impact, who will definitely be remembered. When BTS disband and disappear into the background, there will be the occasional documentary about them, and those documentaries will be relevant to a specific generation and no one else.

BTS are not as popular or as well known as people think they are. They have huge numbers because their fans manipulate those numbers.
There's a documentary that shows the market share of kpop they hold vs other popular groups. Their huge fandom does over exaggerate, but also shows up for them in a way most fandoms can't. Their share of the market is bigger than the top ten kpop groups. Sg has more impact on the charts as a soloist than his juniors, txt. His video just made the list of male soloists with over 400 million views. I'm not defending them, just stating what I learned.

Real kpop fans will remember HOT, Boa, Seventeen, Ateez, BB,and many others. Most Armys aren't kpop fans. They listen for the music. Kpop isn't about music. Fourth generation focuses the least on music and dancing. Fans want visuals and fanservice. The girl groups are doing better than boy groups because the boy groups don't have to try. They make aegyo and fans drop their money on some merch.

Those English abominations were an attempt to get a Grammy and Western validation. Was also a way to keep market share in their groups. Fans were very unhappy and some left the company or went with their juniors.

This was intentional, and I don't think it's mismanagement anymore. Each group will have a portion of their sunbaenims fans and few will escape the hive family of labels. The top girl groups include Lsfm and NJ. It also includes Viviz, because hive did them wrong.

The top boy groups include three hive groups. When they release a new group, they pull back on their others to ensure a few fans seed the newer fandom.

All this writing is to say, the Western market except for kpop stans won't remember most of these groups. I couldn't tell you the last American boy group. Where btees messed up is continuing to pump garbage into a foreign market already saturated with enough of its own. The members also need help with English and more media training.

Last edited:
This! They are like Billie Eilish (I probably butchered her name with my spelling lol), Doja cat etc. Industry plants that are here today and gone tomorrow. Music industry picks and chooses who will be the next big thing and gives them a lot of promotion, media play, and if they sell their soul, awards and contract deals with top companies. B*s are no different. They exploded on the global scene only after they won billboard back in 2017. Not a coincidence that they won. They were then heavily promoted on the biggest platforms like ytube etc. It's how I found out about them. They were promoting blood sweat & tears mv on youtbe's home page.

Yup, Rm's ugly mug is everywhere at the moment. I saw his tiny desk concert on youtbe. I didn't click it because I refuse to give him views haha. As for JK, I was pretty shocked how crappy his stage presence was as a solo. He really needs the bells and whistles and a group backing him up to feel confident and own the stage. He seems like he might be the wrong personality to be a star. I feel that way about a lot of idols. The kpop industry puts looks first and picks literal children and tries to mold them into stars when not everyone is the same. Some are introverted, camera shy, and or just not charismatic enough.
About Jk,100%
Whenever I get a glimpse of him, and his portrayal of a bad-boy image or whatever, the guy just seems lost.

theartbook35

Veteran
knowing his racist side, i have some doubt about that :

The second he says "Why these young people need these messages through your voice" and "she was convinced", you know he's racist. Allow me to explain:

1. He never asked for her input. He wrote everything, and simply submitted it to her. He wanted her voice, not her thoughts.
2. He went into this ready to be defensive and do battle. You can see it in body language and his tone of voice. He's being very forceful. It's a "you will participate or else" attitude.
3. There's no gratitude in anything he says. He's only focused on HIS success of winning over her and what it meant to him.
4. "Through your voice" translates to "Because you're black".
5. "She was convinced" translates to "I own you".

Oh and the comment about her age was kinda rude too. Something about the way he said it. Now, we could argue it's because English isn't his first language but that argument only has so much reach. ESL has been used to explain away most of his past racist behavior.

It is super, super creepy. There's no humility there at all. When I listened to the song I thought Badu's vocals were meh, emotionless. Now we see why.

Edit: I also want to add that many features in the music industry are similar to this, in that an artist writes the whole song but can't sing one part and knows another person's voice would fit better. With NJ, I don't think that's what is going on here. Usually they contact someone they already know or are at least acquainted with. Usually people say things like they were excited to work together, or had been discussing collaborating for a long time, or had similar ideas so working together just made sense. Or any variation of that. The way NJ is talking in that interview, doesn't sound like that at all.

Last edited:

minnie82

Superstar
The second he says "Why these young people need these messages through your voice" and "she was convinced", you know he's racist. Allow me to explain:

1. He never asked for her input. He wrote everything, and simply submitted it to her. He wanted her voice, not her thoughts.
2. He went into this ready to be defensive and do battle. You can see it in body language and his tone of voice. He's being very forceful. It's a "you will participate or else" attitude.
3. There's no gratitude in anything he says. He's only focused on HIS success of winning over her and what it meant to him.

Oh and the comment about her age was kinda rude too. Something about the way he said it. Now, we could argue it's because English isn't his first language but that argument only has so much reach. ESL has been used to explain away most of his past racist behavior.

It is super, super creepy. There's no humility there at all. When I listened to the song I thought Badu's vocals were meh, emotionless. Now we see why.
Don't know why an artist like Badu,agree to have a collaboration with him ...he's so selfish and arrogant

theartbook35

Veteran
Don't know why an artist like Badu,agree to have a collaboration with him ...he's so selfish and arrogant
I think it's the fear of turning something down. Even as a famous and well-respected black artist, you still gotta tread carefully. There's risk of opening yourself up to "How dare she turn him down, that's an opportunity she needs" blah blah blah, because it's not like this queen didn't already have a substantial career she's built on her own. She doesn't need him at all, but idiots will downplay her success and artistry like as if she just showed up in the music scene yesterday. There are a lot of times we have to take crumbs in order to prevent the potential mass racist attack we'd get for not taking those crumbs.

minnie82

Superstar
I think it's the fear of turning something down. Even as a famous and well-respected black artist, you still gotta tread carefully. There's risk of opening yourself up to "How dare she turn him down, that's an opportunity she needs" blah blah blah, because it's not like this queen didn't already have a substantial career she's built on her own. She doesn't need him at all, but idiots will downplay her success and artistry like as if she just showed up in the music scene yesterday. There are a lot of times we have to take crumbs in order to prevent the potential mass racist attack we'd get for not taking those crumbs.
Yes especially stupid and toxic army would attack her

Edit: I also want to add that many features in the music industry are similar to this, in that an artist writes the whole song but can't sing one part and knows another person's voice would fit better. With NJ, I don't think that's what is going on here. Usually they contact someone they already know or are at least acquainted with. Usually people say things like they were excited to work together, or had been discussing collaborating for a long time, or had similar ideas so working together just made sense. Or any variation of that. The way NJ is talking in that interview, doesn't sound like that at all.
It's also really sexist. Ms Badu is a woman with her own agency and an amazing artist. He's approaching her the way men in his culture approach women. They don't care about consent because she wants to say yes. The whole thing is a debate and a battle to get her consent. We've had many discussions about this topic in America. Begging until someone says yes isn't a yes. It's a no but they're tired of fighting and give in.

Dislike this so much, and no matter how successful or rich we become, Black people have to give into the whims of people who can ruin them. Look at Black Wall Street, or Oprah. She was accused of prostitution in a European country. Walking into an exclusive store, she was told they didn't serve people like her, and called a prostitute. She threw down her black card, an exclusive credit card for only the most powerful people, and racists people here thought she was talking about reverse racism, not a credit card.

A successful Black man was arrested trying to enter his own mansion. Another was shot in the head sitting on the couch in his own home, because his neighbor was a cop and claimed she went in the wrong home.

During the Harlem Renaissance and rock music's heyday, Black performers still had to enter in the back of white establishments and and it was against the law to serve them. This isn't the win Armyyys think it is.