Breech birth a lost art

morita

Veteran
I had heard about the percentage of c-sections and that it was sometimes an unecessary procedure. It's a major surgery and women who have a c-section are said to have a longer recovery period than those who give birth naturally. This depends of the country too. In 3rd world countries it might be totally different. So I'm talking specifically about the west.

A breech baby is one of the factors that will lead to a c-section, a breech birth is said to be very risky.
But after reading this piece, turns out delivering them without a c-section is actually a lost art. It's hard for women nowadays to find a doctor or a midwife that knows how to do it properly.

“We know now from the studies we’ve done that the pelvis is dynamic, and the baby winds its way through as the pelvis changes shape. How is it that we ended up with women flat on their backs and people actually thinking that was normal?” Daviss muses. “That’s totally an abnormal way to have a baby.”

When a woman presents with a breech pregnancy, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends that her healthcare provider attempt to manually turn the baby in utero whenever possible by a process called an external cephalic version. This places the baby’s head down for delivery.

“I came into it at a time when breech wasn’t considered a highly dangerous thing to do,” she says. “It was considered a variation of the norm. It was considered something you really had to know how to do and had to have the skills to do it.”

In many hospitals, the C-section rate is much higher than the average, and often avoidable. In California, C-section rates for low-risk mothers vary from 12 percent to 70 percent.

Last edited:
1/external cephalic version is incredibly painful and distressing for a woman,.
2/ many women died because of breeched births and many babies too.
3/yes lying down birth should be phased out espeically as it was adopted witht he introduction of male doctors, who decided it was easier for them, instead of caring what was easier for the woman.
however we should be greatful women have the option for safe c sections, because even today many women die because of childbrith

morita

Veteran
2/ many women died because of breeched births and many babies too.
Maybe if people acually knew how to perform them it could have been avoided. That's exactly what the article touched on.

3/yes lying down birth should be phased out espeically as it was adopted witht he introduction of male doctors, who decided it was easier for them, instead of caring what was easier for the woman.
That's interesting. Do you have a reliable source for that?

however we should be greatful women have the option for safe c sections, because even today many women die because of childbrith
Women should still be given the option to have breech babies naturally also if that's what they want. Unless the baby is in danger then they should have the c-section. But even c-sections don't come without risks.

Last edited:

Hon33

Veteran
... Maybe if people acually knew how to perform them it could have been avoided. That's exactly what the article touched on.

That's interesting. Do you have a reliable source for that?

Women should still be given the option to have breech babies naturally also if that's what they want. Unless the baby is in danger then they should have the c-section. But even c-sections don't come without risks.
The baby is in danger as a result of being breech?
That’s why they will weigh up all the risks and where necessary, offer a Caesarean section.

I had an emergency Caesarean section and an elective Caesarean section. As long as my children were born safely, it didn’t matter how they were delivered.

elsbet

Superstar
Interesting topic.

3/yes lying down birth should be phased out espeically as it was adopted witht he introduction of male doctors, who decided it was easier for them, instead of caring what was easier for the woman.​

Are we surprised? :p

I still don't understand why they phased out the ether (twilight, really), in favor of numbing ones extremities (also dangerous, imo). So there's a slight flammability issue :D ... but not so with other 'vapours' used, these days, to take the edge off.

As for the other-- you actually have to do a little digging to find the effect of epidural on the baby. I finally found it at the tail end of an article... it isn't good-- but it isn't really good for the mother, either. It is the accepted form of pain relief, though, so negatives are not going to be highlighted, I guess. -.-

morita

Veteran
The baby is in danger as a result of being breech?
You don't know what breech is? The baby can get stuck and lack oxygen.

I had an emergency Caesarean section and an elective Caesarean section. As long as my children were born safely, it didn’t matter how they were delivered.
Some people would rather avoid c-sections unless they're necessary. Everyone's different.

morita

Veteran
I still don't understand why they phased out the ether (twilight, really), in favor of numbing ones extremities (also dangerous, imo). So there's a slight flammability issue :D ... but not so with other 'vapours' used, these days, to take the edge off.
Queen Victoria also used chloroform as an anesthetic.

Cintra

Star
I think the problem is the reliance upon c-section.

Problems like breech births arise, and we should have the knowledge to deal with them, if medical intervention is not available.

If this knowledge becomes lost, it endangers both women and children when the surgical option is unavailable.

elsbet

Superstar
I think the problem is the reliance upon c-section.

Problems like breech births arise, and we should have the knowledge to deal with them, if medical intervention is not available.

If this knowledge becomes lost, it endangers both women and children when the surgical option is unavailable.
Totally agree with you.

While the methods may not be ideal, it's better to have the knowledge and not need to use it, than the other way around. You never know when you may be in an emergency situation. Great point, Cintra.

Hon33

Veteran
You don't know what breech is? The baby can get stuck and lack oxygen.

Some people would rather avoid c-sections unless they're necessary. Everyone's different.
No, of course I know what breech is. I’m saying the baby is breech, it is already in danger -hence the question mark.

elsbet

Superstar
Queen Victoria also used chloroform as an anesthetic.
Bring in the Royal Chloroform... stat! *
FROM THE ARTICLE
The queen, who was pregnant or nursing for 16 years of her adult life, called pregnancy the “Schattenseite,” or shadow side, of marriage, and told her daughter that childbirth was “a complete violence to all one’s feelings of propriety (which God knows receive a shock enough in marriage alone).”​
She wanted the drug.​

Finally, in 1853, before the birth of her eighth child, Prince Leopold, she was allowed to inhale chloroform for 53 minutes from a handkerchief, according to historians. She loved it, describing “blessed chloroform, soothing, quieting and delightful beyond measure.”​
The medical debate over pain control quieted, and the procedure became known as “chloroform à la reine.”​

:)
* I READ THAT ONE OF THE ROYALS WAS SO DELIGHTED WITH THE ETHER, DURING LABOR, SHE NAMED HER CHILD ANESTHESIA. HMM...

Maes17

Superstar
Totally agree with you.

While the methods may not be ideal, it's better to have the knowledge and not need to use it, than the other way around. You never know when you may be in an emergency situation. Great point, Cintra.
My wife got really bad when she went into labor 8 years ago.
I’m actually kinda scared now. We’re due now in August and this stuff sits on my mind.

elsbet

Superstar
My wife got really bad when she went into labor 8 years ago.
I’m actually kinda scared now. We’re due now in August and this stuff sits on my mind.
Breech delivery? They should be prepared, though, knowing what happened last time. You should feel free to discuss your concerns with the doc-- I certainly would. You'll feel so much better, if you do-- you deserve peace of mind. -♡

elsbet

Superstar
August 12th.

And yes was a breech delivery. She had to have a c section. Our son didn’t want to come out I guess. We’re prepped

The medical staff did an awesome job. But it is a worrying thing to experience. Us guys worry too
I hear you... hoping all goes well, exactly as it should. :)

And that's only a couple of days from my own birthday...! I had to ask. ☆

Maes17

Superstar
For me, my biggest fear of the whole ordeal is when the water breaks. That scramble to start getting everything together, driving to the hospital etc. pregnancy and being a parent is a rewarding experience but it also has it’s worrisome moments.

We tried for a second child last year. Wound up having a miscarriage. Our first child was a smooth 9 months. Until labor.

Idk. For me, I like it. But I also have a lot of it sit in the back of my mind. Even though my wife always says I hold up well under pressure

Maes17

Superstar
I hear you... hoping all goes well, exactly as it should. :)

And that's only a couple of days from my own birthday...! I had to ask. ☆
My dad is August 15th so he’s happy that we are having an August baby.

My wife is March 4th and my son is March 17th.
Hence why the 17 in my user name.

I’m the lone july baby. Lol. Wanted a july kiddo.
I’m sure it will go well. Just a worrisome experience.

morita

Veteran
Everyone who thinks natural breech birth is dangerous should wach this video.
There are certain terms I had never heard of, like cucumber package, forceps, apgar, crowning touch... You can tell this woman knows what she's talking about.

Last edited: