"Brazil is the most racist country in the world"

morita

Established
Alexandra Loras, a journalist calls Brasil the most racist country in the world. It raises eyebrows because there are a lot of mixed people in Brazil and the culture is very diverse.
To understand her claim it pays to look at the history of the country and the root of its foundation.

Brazil was discovered in 1500 by portuguese diplomats.
Brazil's first colonizers were met by Tupinamba Indians, one group in the vast array of the continent's native population. Lisbon's early goals were simple: monopolize the lucrative trade of pau-brasil, that gave the colony its name, and establish permanent settlements.

The Portuguese tried to enslave Indians then turned to the African slave trade for their workforce. 12 millions of slaves were shipped to America, half of them went to Brazil -Brazil being the fifth country of the world in terms of superficy.
The ships were called tùmulos or tumeiros flutuantes in english tombs, to refer to the massive amount of slaves who perished during the trip. Angola was a major source of slaves to Bazil, "Without Angola, there is no Brazil".
They were to work in the sugar(Bahia, Pernambuco) and coffee plantations(São Paulo), and in the goldmines(Minas Gerais).
The slaves who were able to escape from their master would form communities: quilombos, that are now known as favelas.

Brazil becomes independant in 1822.
In 1850 a law named lei Eusébio de Queiros prohibited slave trafficking with the rest of the world. But it was still legal within the country.
1871 lei do ventro livre, children of slaves are born free.
But it's only in 1888 that slavery is abolished with Lei Aùrea. Making Brazil the last country to abolish slavery.

One year later, theories of eugenism and branqueamento racial, a theory of racial whitening began to flourish. The immigration of european workers aimed to replace the slave labor force but also to protect the white race from disappering through race mixing.

Attachments

morita

Established
https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/ilustrada/2018/07/brasil-e-o-pais-mais-racista-do-mundo-diz-ex-consulesa-francesa-na-flip.shtml

It's still very common in Brazil even today to have domestic workers, in this video Loras talks about being taken for a domestic worker or a baby-sitter when she goes to meetings with her son (who's mixed). She talks about preconceptions based on skin colour, about the use of quotas in Brazil, and the narratives surrounding blackness in the media.

"Before I came to Brazil I had a romanticized idea of the country, because the racial diversity, I thought there was no racism.
When I arrived in Brazil I was expecting to find black people in positons of power, in the media,..."

"The racism is based on skin-colour. it's not veiled racism, it's quite frontal. Even though 54% of the population is black.
It's the country that has the biggest population of black people after Nigeria. So the issue is much graver than in every other country. "

Its pretty racist there! I was made aware of that by knowing of these issues as they effect athletes in the MMA world......

morita

Established
It's a pity because it seems to be a beautiful place. I was planning on studying there for a year.

Last edited:

Mr.Anderson

Established
The favelas weren't exactly the direct sucessors of the quilombos.... quilombos are still there, some of them at least. The favelas were originally low value propriety, so well. Also there are lots of irregular buildings there so accidents are common.

Also, the racism here is a double way road. It isn't as simple as it seems, mixed people seem to suffer the most as they magically go from "white" to "black" as the narrative necessity arises.