Born-again Experience

Mr. Blah

Veteran
What is the real born-again experience?

Is it the spontaneous act after hearing the sermon like crying, speaking in tongue, that happens in Charismatic Church?

Or, is it a long progress which takes much time taking much sufferings so in the end, we realize our needs on Him?

Karlysymon

Superstar
There is such a thing as "Growing in Christ". We are expected to, after the re-birth, produce "fruit in keeping with repentance~Luke 3:8". The moment i was baptised, i thought i'd never sin again. As in the physical realm, you can't stay a baby forever, now can you?

Mr. Blah

Veteran
There is such a thing as "Growing in Christ". We are expected to, after the re-birth, produce "fruit in keeping with repentance~Luke 3:8". The moment i was baptised, i thought i'd never sin again. As in the physical realm, you can't stay a baby forever, now can you?
Is the re-born experience a point of your timeline or lifelong process?

Mr. Blah

Veteran
Psychology of Born-Again Experience by Valerie Tarico.

According to her, it is a sort of "euphoria", temporary emotional stress release.
The impression is fading quickly.
After the service ends & everyone goes home, they would be same again. Nothing changes with their heart.
That video is quite precise and would match to my observation in many Charismatic Churches.

Last edited:

Lady

Star
While some may experience emotions, a lasting and true spiritual awakening or "birth" will stand the test of time. The character qualities of Christ will start to emerge to replace the sin nature inherent in man as the Christian listens to the teaching by the Holy Spirit, by which all truths are revealed.

2 Corinthians 5:17-21
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Karlysymon

Superstar

Yes, as one is born, physically, and grows from a baby into a full-fledged adult. The same has to happen spiritually. You can't grow without proper nourishment, otherwise you become stunted and/or die. How long can a euphoric state be perpetuated? How much of a buttress is it against the many trials that people face spiritually? And how can one tell the euphoric state is the work of the Holy Spirit?

Mr. Blah

Veteran
While some may experience emotions, a lasting and true spiritual awakening or "birth" will stand the test of time. The character qualities of Christ will start to emerge to replace the sin nature inherent in man as the Christian listens to the teaching by the Holy Spirit, by which all truths are revealed.

2 Corinthians 5:17-21
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
What do you think, must the born-again experience be emotional (crying, speaking in tongues)?

Lady

Star
Of course NOT. No one I know personally who "surrendered" to the knowledge and belief that Christ came to die for him or her did any of the things you mentioned.

Christ calls His sheep. For me, it took repeated callings, more like "wooings" before I was ready to accept the truth. After that, I prayed, quietly and seriously in my own room at home.

Todd

Star
Both.....the "point of your lifetime" is when you came to the realization of your spiritual state and began the lifelong process. January 4th, 1989 for me!