Body image and body dysmorphia

Dalit

Star
Study finds our brains are wired to view men as a whole person and women as body parts.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/men-seen-as-whole-women-as-body-parts-1.1275015
That's really disturbing. Both sexes want to reduce women to their parts? Extremely disturbing.

I thought this would be about body dysmorphia in the sense that one sees oneself bigger or smaller than one actually is. Usually it's bigger, hence anorexia and bulimia, eating disorders, etc. I tend to see myself as bigger than I actually am.

Aero

Superstar
Idk if I'm convinced. This study seems flawed or incomplete.

The article fails to report how many people took part in the study. It also doesn't explain participants history or culture. Like did these people grow up in the city, or the country? Religious, non-religious? Maybe those things don't matter, but it would be good to know.

Dalit

Star
Not that disturbing if you think of it, just look at the headlines on Dailymail. "[insert random celebrity name] flaunts her cleavage/legs/abs"(... etc)
When Michelle Obama was the flotus there was a fixation on her arms.
Same during the royal wedding and all the fuss about Pippa Middleton's bum.

Advertisement also very often portray women as body parts so..
View attachment 24356View attachment 24357
Yeah, I would totally love to have toned arms like Michelle Obama.

Even though I'm personally against plastic surgery (have heard it's addictive and there's often upkeep surgeries needed after, plus with that kind of money I could go on an overseas trip or do something good for mankind) I was slightly jealous of my mom's arm surgery and abdominoplasty. It takes surgery or working out consistently to have arms and abs like that. I'll be working out.

Dalit

Star
I'm pretty sure I have this. I see myself as bigger than I am, but then I was rather large most of my life.

How does one be healthy without getting obsessed with it? I scan in everything I eat on My Fitness Pal. It's fascinating yet I can see how it could foster eating disorders with "If you ate this way for 5 weeks, you'd weigh x lbs" *based on calories, actual results may vary.

Lisa

Superstar
I'm pretty sure I have this. I see myself as bigger than I am, but then I was rather large most of my life.

How does one be healthy without getting obsessed with it? I scan in everything I eat on My Fitness Pal. It's fascinating yet I can see how it could foster eating disorders with "If you ate this way for 5 weeks, you'd weigh x lbs" *based on calories, actual results may vary.
That’s why I don’t have a scale...was always weighing myself...very unhealthy.