Black Mirror Season 5

Dalit

Star
Should I start watching it once this work trip is over?
If you've never seen it before, don't see Season 1 Episode 1. It's the most disturbing. Well, all episodes are disturbing, that's the point, but it is an anthology show so you don't have to watch the episodes in order like a typical series. Just a warning if you've never seen it. I started with Season 1 Episode 1 and wouldn't touch the show with an 11 foot pole for 3 years. I finally broke down and watched it again with Season 3 Episode 1. By Season 4, I was hooked and watched all the ones I'd missed.

If you've never seen it before, don't see Season 1 Episode 1. It's the most disturbing. Well, all episodes are disturbing, that's the point, but it is an anthology show so you don't have to watch the episodes in order like a typical series. Just a warning if you've never seen it. I started with Season 1 Episode 1 and wouldn't touch the show with an 11 foot pole for 3 years. I finally broke down and watched it again with Season 3 Episode 1. By Season 4, I was hooked and watched all the ones I'd missed.
Cool I’ll check it out I loved your last recommendation :)

Dalit

Star
Just in case anyone's curious, here's my ranking of the episodes (S1 E1 purposely removed and spoilers removed). This list will change after season 5. :)

My limited ranking of favorite Black Mirror episodes
1. White Christmas (S2 E4)--this is one of the critically high ranked episodes of Black Mirror, but there's a reason for that and it's not just Jon Hamm. This one has everything with virtual assistants (willing and unwilling), misuse of technology by law enforcement, and blocking people in real life. It seems like an upgrade on "the grain" technology of "The Entire History of You" (S1 E3) with the personal block option.
2. 15 Million Merits (S1 E2)--mostly because I feel sorry for what happened to the characters; groupthink and mob mentality.
3. Shut Up and Dance (S3 E3)--just because I never saw the big plot twist until the end. It is horrible, of course.
4. Playtest (S3 E2)--this one was riveting and had a twist at the end.
5. Nosedive (S3 E1)--accurately describes social media and the freedom of having nothing to lose when not fitting in.
6. Hang the DJ (S4 E4)--why dating is horrific, yet not without hope for beating the system. Best quote ever: "Amy asks Frank: ‘What if actually all [the System is] doing is wearing us down? Putting us in one relationship after another, in random sequences. Each time you get a little bit more pliable, a little bit more broken, until eventually it coughs up the final offering and says that’s the one. And by that point, you are so defeated and so exhausted that you just accept it, you settle. Then you have to spend the rest of your life convincing yourself you didn’t.’" (http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/30/black-mirror-series-four-review-hang-the-dj-is-a-look-at-dating-apps-which-will-make-you-believe-in-true-love-7191361/) I keep voting this one up because I want to believe in romantic love even though what I really want is agape love.
7. Metalhead (S4 E5)--this was just beautifully filmed in stark black and white and reminded me of the Terminator movies (i.e. the 1st and 2nd ones) with the battle between woman and machine.
8. Hated in the Nation (S3 E6)--this one may seem more like a suspense movie than a typical Black Mirror episode, yet no episode is completely typical. The ending seems bleak until a satisfying twist sets things right again.
9. USS Callister (S4 E1)--riveting and unexpected ending in a Star Trek-esque game world.
10. Men Against Fire (S3 E5)--war is hell
11. San Junipero (S3 E4)--the LGBT counterpart, in a way, to Hang the DJ. This episode won an Emmy and was highly praised, yet I like Hang the DJ better.
12. Be Right Back (S2 E1)--I liked and hated this one; the closure or acceptance never occurred in a healthy, naturally grieving way.
13. White Bear (S2 E2)--the groupthink and mob mentality make this episode totally horrifying
14. Crocodile (S4 E3)--how things escalate when one cover up leads to another and then another.
15. The Entire History of You (S1 E3)--this should be higher on the list, since it is fantastic, yet it was a bit predictable and sad.
16. Arkangel (S4 E2)--why humans should never be microchipped.
17. Black Museum (S4 E6)--frankly, this is the most disturbing episode in Season 4 yet the one that sticks with me the most.
18. The Waldo Moment (S2 E3)

Aero

Superstar
Just in case anyone's curious, here's my ranking of the episodes (S1 E1 purposely removed and spoilers removed). This list will change after season 5. :)

My limited ranking of favorite Black Mirror episodes
1. White Christmas (S2 E4)--this is one of the critically high ranked episodes of Black Mirror, but there's a reason for that and it's not just Jon Hamm. This one has everything with virtual assistants (willing and unwilling), misuse of technology by law enforcement, and blocking people in real life. It seems like an upgrade on "the grain" technology of "The Entire History of You" (S1 E3) with the personal block option.
2. 15 Million Merits (S1 E2)--mostly because I feel sorry for what happened to the characters; groupthink and mob mentality.
3. Shut Up and Dance (S3 E3)--just because I never saw the big plot twist until the end. It is horrible, of course.
4. Playtest (S3 E2)--this one was riveting and had a twist at the end.
5. Nosedive (S3 E1)--accurately describes social media and the freedom of having nothing to lose when not fitting in.
6. Hang the DJ (S4 E4)--why dating is horrific, yet not without hope for beating the system. Best quote ever: "Amy asks Frank: ‘What if actually all [the System is] doing is wearing us down? Putting us in one relationship after another, in random sequences. Each time you get a little bit more pliable, a little bit more broken, until eventually it coughs up the final offering and says that’s the one. And by that point, you are so defeated and so exhausted that you just accept it, you settle. Then you have to spend the rest of your life convincing yourself you didn’t.’" (http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/30/black-mirror-series-four-review-hang-the-dj-is-a-look-at-dating-apps-which-will-make-you-believe-in-true-love-7191361/) I keep voting this one up because I want to believe in romantic love even though what I really want is agape love.
7. Metalhead (S4 E5)--this was just beautifully filmed in stark black and white and reminded me of the Terminator movies (i.e. the 1st and 2nd ones) with the battle between woman and machine.
8. Hated in the Nation (S3 E6)--this one may seem more like a suspense movie than a typical Black Mirror episode, yet no episode is completely typical. The ending seems bleak until a satisfying twist sets things right again.
9. USS Callister (S4 E1)--riveting and unexpected ending in a Star Trek-esque game world.
10. Men Against Fire (S3 E5)--war is hell
11. San Junipero (S3 E4)--the LGBT counterpart, in a way, to Hang the DJ. This episode won an Emmy and was highly praised, yet I like Hang the DJ better.
12. Be Right Back (S2 E1)--I liked and hated this one; the closure or acceptance never occurred in a healthy, naturally grieving way.
13. White Bear (S2 E2)--the groupthink and mob mentality make this episode totally horrifying
14. Crocodile (S4 E3)--how things escalate when one cover up leads to another and then another.
15. The Entire History of You (S1 E3)--this should be higher on the list, since it is fantastic, yet it was a bit predictable and sad.
16. Arkangel (S4 E2)--why humans should never be microchipped.
17. Black Museum (S4 E6)--frankly, this is the most disturbing episode in Season 4 yet the one that sticks with me the most.
18. The Waldo Moment (S2 E3)
Pretty much agree.

Except I would rank Men against fire, Black Museum and White Bear much higher. And put Nosedive, 15 million merits and Hang the DJ lower. Also, I really liked USS Callister.

The show disturbs me on multiple levels because it's so British. Now I have nothing against the Brits. I just don't understand them. But I understand futuristic horror just fine.

Dalit

Star
Pretty much agree.

Except I would rank Men against fire, Black Museum and White Bear much higher. And put Nosedive, 15 million merits and Hang the DJ lower. Also, I really liked USS Callister.

The show disturbs me on multiple levels because it's so British. Now I have nothing against the Brits. I just don't understand them. But I understand futuristic horror just fine.
I can agree with that. It's hard to pick the best episodes when they're all pretty much good in their own way, even though The Waldo Moment was just weak.

manama

Star
What, why would you tell people not to watch S1E1? You haven't truly experienced black mirror if you haven't seen that episode.

Last edited:

Vytas

Star
This show is always something new, something unexpected, rarity this days. The only episode i didn't like was white bear, felt annoyed by it...

Aero

Superstar
I can agree with that. It's hard to pick the best episodes when they're all pretty much good in their own way, even though The Waldo Moment was just weak.
Yeah, there are a few episodes that didn't blow me away.

I hated Crocodile. I don't want to see shit that depressing. Of course, every episode is a little bit depressing.

Dalit

Star
I'm just watching S05e03 and oh my! I don't want to say too much about it but that's quite something if you are a dedicated reader of VG.
What did you think of this season?

I'm not sure what to think of this season. I do agree with the reviews that said it's a bit weak.

I guess I'd rank like this?

1. Striking Vipers (S5 E1) just because I wasn't expecting the direction it went in, especially the end. Also like Anthony Mackie.
2. Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too (S5 E3)--b/c of the technology even though some reviews say it was horrible and just a vehicle for Miley Cyrus. It reminded me of Black Museum based on the technology.
2. Smithereens (S5 E2)--acting great, but the technology is a bit weak. Yet it shows how social media creators may regret the monster they created. Also shows how more information on people is available via social media than to law enforcement.

Last edited:

Vulpesrex

Rookie
Tried to take a screen grab from S5E3 but it comes out all black for some reason. Check out the part at 15 minutes and 33 seconds into the episode. Context of this scene is Ashely O’s handlers discussing her attempting to break free of their control and what they want to do about it. Note the magazine cover on the wall behind manager/aunt/antagonist Catherine with Ashley doing a one-eye wink thing.

Attachments

Dalit

Star
I think I agree with how Esquire ranked them (it's not a completely spoiler-free article so it's not linked here). Was looking around online to see what the critical consensus was.

1. Smithereens (S5 E2)
2. Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too (S5 E3)
3. Striking Vipers (S5 E1)

Vytas

Star
↑ i would agree with that ranking. Smithereens started kind of slow, but second half was brilliant, it was a bit confusing to see moriarty in such a different role lol. Teenage movie was good also, did not expected comedy elements from black mirror, but it was funny when it tried to. Vipers made me feel uncomfortable, i suppose thats a compliment, they explored really well moral and psychological angles of that situation, but ending was such an ugly cop out.
This season they aren't traveling to the future, all technologies used are already here. Perhaps later we can attempt to analyze those episodes from different angles...