biobanks

jak

I recently heard Bill Burr comment on how he would never send his saliva to 23andme least they clone him. it got me to thinking, since I recently sent a sample to them for a DNA breakdown. I think it's interesting to know more about my genes, but what is the negative with them retaining my DNA on file? what do you think

Lurker

Star
I recently heard Bill Burr comment on how he would never send his saliva to 23andme least they clone him. it got me to thinking, since I recently sent a sample to them for a DNA breakdown. I think it's interesting to know more about my genes, but what is the negative with them retaining my DNA on file? what do you think
Since you already sent it and are now asking, it's already too late.

jak

Since you already sent it and are now asking, it's already too late.
the semi good news is that my sample was not readable and they need me to send another. so now I kind of feel like this is my time to ignore them and know they don't have my DNA

jak

maybey DNA is so extravagant they want an extra sample? I almost passed the message test so maybe....

yiksmes

Established
The dna samples are very sensitive, it's pretty common that sometimes the test fails and you need to do it again.

yiksmes

Established
Had to convince few people not to send the saliva too..
All the mainstream Universities and companies are on it as investors.
They even planning to make apps for iphones and android so all the dna info collected would be shared.
(In good cause as they say)

rainerann

Star
I really don't know what they would do with a DNA sample other than study DNA. I don't see how this would affect most people especially when they don't really have to do this when blood tests are so common in medical treatment. Swabs are common to test for a lot of things too, so if you don't want someone to have your DNA, you probably shouldn't get swabbed or have a blood test either.

Stem cells are a different matter because stem cells have the potential to create genetic modifications that the cells from a swab of your saliva don't have. When I was having children, there were a lot of advertisments to collect the cord blood, which would be a way of preserving matching stem cells that could be used in the future in case my children needed some kind of medical remedy this would be useful in producing. The stem cells would already match my babies and they wouldn't have to wait for a matching donor like most people have to do now if they need a new liver or whatever. That rubbed me the wrong way at the time and my children do not have any cord blood stored for later use anywhere. I don't know how they will feel about this one day, but that is what I felt was the best decision at the time.

I haven't heard much about this since and I don't even know how present this subject is if you are having a baby now. My baby is almost a teenager. Maybe it didn't get as much interest as people thought it would, and it is not much of a thing anymore. Either way, collecting stem cells seems much more concerning. The only thing they could do with a DNA sample is study how a person is developed, but they would need some other mechanism to influence this process. DNA is like closed source programming. You can't just hack into it and make changes any easier than you could hack into the source code for Java and make changes.

Golden Age

Established
Its bad enough that the state wants to retain your genetic profile for an unlimited period of time, (without you sending samples of it to private companies/clinics that offer no assurances about what they're going to do with it) !?

On the scale of stupidities practiced today, voluntarily handing your DNA to third parties (without good reason) has to be right at the very top

redqueen

Superstar
This seems like the place for this
from my search anyways

I have wondered where all the SCs come from
for all the research/testing they are doing with them
seems like this is apartof the answer