Biblical Archaeology - Silent Witness

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I will admit it - I love archeology! Ever since watching Indians Jones….

While the lost Ark has never been located (to my knowledge) there have been many artefacts and discoveries that indicate the historical accuracy of the Bible, both OT and NT.

Here’s a round-up of 40 facts to get started with…

Sibi

Star
I love biblical archaeology too!

Tomb of the Patriarchs

Tomb of Abraham

Tomb of Sarah

Tomb of Isaac Tomb 1911

Tomb of Rachel

Tomb of Ruben, Tomb of Joseph

Tomb of King David

Tomb of Mary - Mount of Olives

Prophets Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi, Mount of Olives, Jerusalem

Mordechai & Esther share a tomb

Mordechai

Esther

Prophet Daniel

Tomb of Job

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I have suspected the Shroud of Turin is genuine for a while now… and a recent study appears to have conclusively shown so…

New research shows that the Shroud of Turin—the Cloth used to wrap Christ’s body after crucifixion—shows evidence of a violent death for the man wrapped in the Turin Shroud.’ New evidence supports the belief that the shroud DOES show the face of Jesus.

Sibi

Star
The Siege of Lachish relief 701 BCE​

Isaiah 36:1 In the fourteenth year of King Hezekiah’s reign, Sennacherib king of Assyria attacked all the fortified cities of Judah and captured them. 2 Then the king of Assyria sent his field commander with a large army from Lachish to King Hezekiah at Jerusalem.​

Sibi

Star
Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome say they have the remains of Jesus's crib.

Sibi

Star
Actual King of Babylon, Sumer, and Akkad is known in the bible as Evilmerodach son of Nebuchadnezzar II. The patron deity of Babylon was Marduk so they put that word into their names. His babylonion name was Amēl-Marduk (man of Marduk). His brother is Marduk-nadin-ahi.

2 Kings 25:27
And it came to pass in the seven and thirtieth year of the captivity of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the twelfth month, on the seven and twentieth day of the month, that Evilmerodach king of Babylon in the year that he began to reign did lift up the head of Jehoiachin king of Judah out of prison​

Jeremiah 52:31
And it came to pass in the seven and thirtieth year of the captivity of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the twelfth month, in the five and twentieth day of the month, that Evilmerodach king of Babylon in the first year of his reign lifted up the head of Jehoiachin king of Judah, and brought him forth out of prison.​
Babylon had a temple for Marduk called Esagila (house of the raised head).​

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
From “The Case for Faith” by Lee Strobel, interviewing Norman Geisler…

Reason #1: Confirmation by Archaeology

Geisler started his discussion of the archaeological evidence by quoting the words of Jesus, who said: “I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?”20 “Conversely,” said Geisler, “if we can trust the Bible when it’s telling us about straightforward earthly things that can be verified, then we can trust it in areas where we can’t directly verify it in an empirical way.” “How, then, has the Bible been corroborated?” I asked. Having investigated some of the archaeological confirmation of the New Testament in my previous book, The Case for Christ, I was especially interested in archaeology and the Old Testament, and that’s where I asked Geisler to begin. “There have been thousands—not hundreds—of archaeological finds in the Middle East that support the picture presented in the biblical record. There was a discovery not long ago confirming King David. The patriarchs—the narratives about Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob—were once considered legendary, but as more has become known, these stories are increasingly corroborated. The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was thought to be mythological until evidence was uncovered that all five of the cities mentioned in Genesis were, in fact, situated just as the Old Testament said. As far as their destruction goes, archaeologist Clifford Wilson said there is ‘permanent evidence of the great conflagration that took place in the long distant past.’21

TokiEl

Superstar
While the lost Ark has never been located (to my knowledge) there have been many artefacts and discoveries that indicate the historical accuracy of the Bible, both OT and NT.
The High priest used to sprinkle blood on one side of the Mercy seat of the Ark of the Covenant ever year on Yom Kippur... on the other side of the Mercy seat was the Divine presence of God between the cherubim.

Now where do you think the Blood of the Son of God was sprinkled... ?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Archaeological Evidence for the Kingdom of Judah

How recent digs in Sha’arayim, Socoh, Ziklag, and Lachish confirm history from the ancient kingdom of Judah and why it matters for biblical reliability

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
The anti-biblical academic narrative may have just been killed by the recent discovery of paleo-Hebrew writing preserved within a lead tablet at Joshua’s Alter on Mt Ebal…

Sibi

Star
The Rock under the Dome

This rock was situated in the center of the Temple Mount in King Solomon's Temple. It is said to be where God first started creation, the place Isaac was taken by Abraham, and some other things.
Muslims are in charge of the Temple Mount so entrance is Muslim only!

The Stripes are from Mamluk or Moorish architecture

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
FC0B3654-ACD7-4563-9F3F-D43DA9510161.jpeg

The Nazareth Decree

An early story about the empty tomb of Jesus, circulated by the Jerusalem authorities, was that his body had been stolen. Matthew’s Gospel records: ‘When the chief priests had met with the elders and devised a plan, they gave the soldiers a large sum of money, telling them, “You are to say, ‘His disciples came during the night and stole him away while we were asleep’”’ (Matthew 28:12-13).

This story fits with the ‘Nazareth decree’ – an edict of the Roman Emperor which orders that anyone caught disturbing tombs or moving bodies from them should be put to death. It was reportedly discovered in Nazareth in 1878, and the emperor in question was Claudius, who ruled between AD 41 and 54.

The edict reads: “It is my decision [concerning] graves and tombs— whoever has made them for the religious observances of parents, or children, or household members – that these remain undisturbed forever. But if anyone legally charges that another person has destroyed, or has in any manner extracted those who have been buried, or has moved with wicked intent those who have been buried to other places, committing a crime against them, or has moved sepulcher-sealing stones, against such a person...I wish that [violator] to suffer capital punishment under the title of tomb-breaker.”

The Nazareth inscription can be read as a response by the emperor to the rumor that the disciples stole Christ’s body. Peter Walker, professor of Biblical Studies at Trinity School for Ministry in Pennsylvania, says: “Even if there is no conscious connection with Jesus of Nazareth, this decree still reveals that the imperial authorities in this period saw grave robbery as an extremely serious crime – indeed, as a capital offense. This only makes it yet more unlikely that the (already fearful) disciples would have risked such an act.”

CONCLUSION. History confirms that Jesus lived, died, was buried, and arose from the grave. History also confirms that men have and will project their evils upon other persons in the hope they will cover up and hide their evil deeds.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Scholars date tiny ‘curse tablet,’ found at Mt. Ebal, to 1200 BC – which would prove Israelites were literate when they entered Holy Land.

Archaeologist claims to find oldest Hebrew text in Israel, including the name of God.