Bible verses contrasted with false teacher/s' doctrines

JoChris

Superstar
Sounds like an inspired possesion imho.
I hadn't known much about Swedenborg except for having read a short 19th century book showing how unbiblical it is years ago.
The one thing that I thought was relevant to the thread is that his work compared to a certain cut-and-pasted "teacher": instead of jumbling Islam and Christianity, Swedenborg jumbled visions and communications with angels and Christianity.

The quality of the writings is incredibly higher though. I can see how intelligent people seeker an esoteric understanding of Christianity could be deceived by Swedenborg. The more I found yesterday, the more I got alarmed that how this man has influenced culture via well-known authors and writers being converted to Swedenborgianism.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I hadn't known much about Swedenborg except for having read a short 19th century book showing how unbiblical it is years ago.
The one thing that I thought was relevant to the thread is that his work compared to a certain cut-and-pasted "teacher": instead of jumbling Islam and Christianity, Swedenborg jumbled visions and communications with angels and Christianity.

The quality of the writings is incredibly higher though. I can see how intelligent people seeker an esoteric understanding of Christianity could be deceived by Swedenborg. The more I found yesterday, the more I got alarmed that how this man has influenced culture via well-known authors and writers being converted to Swedenborgianism.

JoChris

Superstar
Summary of what I found out:
If there is any church a religion focused VC-type blog could have written about whose teachings have permeated and influenced society, Swedenborgianism could be it. If people want to reject the bible but still generally approve of Christian morality AND want mysticism and mysterious experiences, Swedenborg is a good option.

Yesterday I tried to find relevant clips or sermons for people who prefer audio, but except for what I put in an earlier entry all I could find is Swedenborg believers (also known as the Church of the New Jerusalem).
A short but good summary why all Christians should treat the thankfully little known cult like COVID:
Why I am not a Swedenborgian: a letter to a friend

JoChris

Superstar
1669877101058.png

1669877293187.png

A true Christian teacher will encourage us to trust in God, to believe our Heavenly Father is looking after us no matter how bad things seem to us.
A true preacher will give us hope and strengthen us through reminding us of God's promises revealed to us in the bible.

There is a big difference between fearing the Lord and being afraid of the Lord.

Some false teachers use fear to control and manipulate their listeners.
Cults are notorious for doing this to people. If a teacher can't charm a follower into doing what they want, they might use fear instead.
Cult definition website

JoChris

Superstar
This is why I am amazed that Christian apologists haven't addressed Swedenborg at all!!! An alleged Christian writer that Carl Jung approved of is a dangerous one.

Carl Gustav Jung – (1875-1961). The great Swiss psychologist was a hugely influential twentieth century thinker. He acknowledged his debt to Swedenborg: ‘I admire Swedenborg as a great scientist and a great mystic at the same time. His life and work has always been of great interest to me, and I read seven fat volumes of his writings when I was a medical student’. References: Memories, Dreams, Reflections (1982) and Modern Man in Search of a Soul (1933).

1669879968024.png

1669880004814.png

Us modern 21st century people probably find it easy to forget that before entertainment could be recorded, musicians and actors were NOT the superstars and influencers of society today.

In those days it was in fact playwrights, authors, poetry writers and novelists. Those who WROTE changed minds via catching the people's hearts via WORDS, not music and film. If an author was converted to a religion/ cult, his readers were influenced to think like him. Changed language and concepts changes society.
  • Warning: Pro Swedenborg websites
Famous people influenced by Swedenborg:
Swedenborg's cultural influence
Swedenborg's influence - the Swedenborg Project

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
This is why I am amazed that Christian apologists haven't addressed Swedenborg at all!!! An alleged Christian writer that Carl Jung approved of is a dangerous one.

Carl Gustav Jung – (1875-1961). The great Swiss psychologist was a hugely influential twentieth century thinker. He acknowledged his debt to Swedenborg: ‘I admire Swedenborg as a great scientist and a great mystic at the same time. His life and work has always been of great interest to me, and I read seven fat volumes of his writings when I was a medical student’. References: Memories, Dreams, Reflections (1982) and Modern Man in Search of a Soul (1933).

View attachment 82844

View attachment 82845

Us modern 21st century people probably find it easy to forget that before entertainment could be recorded, musicians and actors were NOT the superstars and influencers of society today.

In those days it was in fact playwrights, authors, poetry writers and novelists. Those who WROTE changed minds via catching the people's hearts via WORDS, not music and film. If an author was converted to a religion/ cult, his readers were influenced to think like him. Changed language and concepts changes society.
  • Warning: Pro Swedenborg websites
Famous people influenced by Swedenborg:
Swedenborg's cultural influence
Swedenborg's influence - the Swedenborg Project
That’s so interesting - especially the Jung connection - I notice @VigilantCitizen mentions Carl Jung as a notable source.

Maldarker

Star
That’s so interesting - especially the Jung connection - I notice @VigilantCitizen mentions Carl Jung as a notable source.

He did have a point with this theory :
Carl Jung's theory is the collective unconscious He believed that human beings are connected to each other and their ancestors through a shared set of experiences. We use this collective consciousness to give meaning to the world.

Secular way of saying the sins of the father plus seems that science finally caught up to the bible (there is an article about how dna is changing from experinces holocaust surviors pass the trauma to their childern and they are having same trauma without experincing the actual event...even the childern of the childern so generational passing of trauma)

SnowFall

Veteran
Summary of what I found out:
If there is any church a religion focused VC-type blog could have written about whose teachings have permeated and influenced society, Swedenborgianism could be it. If people want to reject the bible but still generally approve of Christian morality AND want mysticism and mysterious experiences, Swedenborg is a good option.

Yesterday I tried to find relevant clips or sermons for people who prefer audio, but except for what I put in an earlier entry all I could find is Swedenborg believers (also known as the Church of the New Jerusalem).
A short but good summary why all Christians should treat the thankfully little known cult like COVID:
Why I am not a Swedenborgian: a letter to a friend
the only true Christian mysticism is found in Catholicism.

you should check out the catholic saints and mystics like Saint Padre Pio and Blessed Ann Cathrine Emmerich.

Lyfe

Star
One can have morals but that doesn't mean they have Christ. The Bible says that a person must be born again and acknowledge that only through Christ are they justified before God.

Lyfe

Star
In the book of revelation Jesus refers to himself as The First and The Last. He is the one that searches mind and heart and will give to each according to their works. Christ is the rider on the white horse in revelation 19 who is referenced as The King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

This is the sort of language that God Almighty would only use when speaking of himself.

SnowFall

Veteran
The difference between RC church and Baptist/ protestant churches are massive! Would you like to start a new thread?
You do know that Catholics are Christian’s right? In fact we’re the original Christians and the only church with apostolic succession.