Bible the Book of books

Daciple

Star
Yes but if we want to know a bit more exact than that.
What more do you need to know? Jesus is coming back, He said it, dont be caught like a thief in the night.

Every Scripture concerning the Last Days are already here. I have spent copious amounts of time learning studying and researching End Time ideologies and when this and that are going to happen ect. Guess what it all in the end is going to be vanity. Nothing I think I know about it really matters, I cant discern exactly how any of it will end.

Just as no man existed who knew how Jesus first appearing was going to go, or when, we also cant know how His 2nd appearing is going to go, and definitely dont know when because Jesus straight up tells us.

Do you (the general you) think intense study on Eschatology can be a distraction?

TokiEl

Superstar
Just as no man existed who knew how Jesus first appearing was going to go, or when, we also cant know how His 2nd appearing is going to go, and definitely dont know when because Jesus straight up tells us.
The prophetic timeline in Daniel 9 foretold exactly when the Messiah would come.

Do you (the general you) think intense study on Eschatology can be a distraction?
Somebody got to do it.

TokiEl

Superstar
As you guys argue over exactly when that was lol

The date doesnt matter fyi...
It proves an angelic exactness of when the Messiah would come. And an exactness of the end of the age i believe... When the timeline got until the Messiah right it will probably get the end of the age right as well.

Yes I suppose someone has to go after vanity indeed...
Somebody got to unravel what the prophets ment and when...

Daciple

Star
And an exactness of the end of the age i believe... When the timeline got until the Messiah right it will probably get the end of the age right as well.
Matt 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Daciple

Star
So we can know the month... maybe even the week.
SMH lol ok bro, do you even understand why Jesus made that statement?

Do you understand the reference to Marriage He was making?

You probably do, but in case you or someone else doesnt in Israeli Culture at the time when the Bridegroom was betrothed to his Bride he would go back to his fathers house. When he got back to his fathers house he would begin to build onto his fathers house a new "wing" and prepare a place for him and his bride to live.

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also

As he started to build, his father would come over and inspect it, see if it was good enough. One pass, two passes, three passes until finally when everything was built to his fathers approval, the father would tell him go get your bride.

Then the grooms party would go out before him declaring he was coming with Trumpets and when that final Trumpet sounded the Bridegroom would get the Bride.

The coming of the Bridegroom and the Wedding Begins

Since the time of his arrival was a surprise - the bride and her bridal party were always to be ready - this is the background of Yeshua's parable (Mat. 25:1-13). It was customary for one of the grooms party to go ahead of the bridegroom, leading the way to the bride's house - and shout - "Behold, the bridegroom comes." This would be followed by the sounding of the shofar. At the sounding of the shofar the entire wedding processional would go through the streets of the city to the bride's house

So the point I am illustrating here is, you wont know the day, or the hour, you wont even know the week as this is being used as a metaphor. You will know the coming is soonish, as in we can look to the Bible and know that Jesus is preparing to come because all the Prophecies concerning this event are already here, all that is left is for the Father to tell the Son go and then comes the shout of the Archangel and the Trumpets.

There is exactly zero point in trying to set a date for His Coming, instead we are to be vigilant because it could be any day now!!! It could be today!!

TokiEl

Superstar
There is exactly zero point in trying to set a date for His Coming, instead we are to be vigilant because it could be any day now!!! It could be today!!
The prophetic timeline in Daniel 9 proposes an exact date until the Messiah and the end of the age.

So take it up with Gabriel. I dare you.

Anyway thnx for posting the Jewish custom of the bridegroom and the bride which parallels Jesus and His chosen.

Daciple

Star
The prophetic timeline in Daniel 9 proposes an exact date until the Messiah and the end of the age.

So take it up with Gabriel. I dare you.
Lol if you say so bud!

Jesus could come back today, if He does then what make you of this timeline you are so invested in?

Are you ready if He comes today, or are you waiting until the supposed timeline tells you?

The facts are much of what you are choosing to interpret has never been interpreted that way over the masssss majority of the History of the Church. If this is the case which it is, then why invest so much into it?

The Father could tell Jesus to come get His Bride tonight, are you prepared?

TokiEl

Superstar
Lol if you say so bud!

Jesus could come back today, if He does then what make you of this timeline you are so invested in?

Are you ready if He comes today, or are you waiting until the supposed timeline tells you?

The facts are much of what you are choosing to interpret has never been interpreted that way over the masssss majority of the History of the Church. If this is the case which it is, then why invest so much into it?

The Father could tell Jesus to come get His Bride tonight, are you prepared?

The Messiah could not come before His time... not then and not now.

Anyway what's up with all the sss ?

What is it the Church has never interpreted ?

Daciple

Star
The Messiah could not come before His time... not then and not now.
I agree He will come at the time the Father sends Him regardless of whatever you want to read into Prophecies...

What is it the Church has never interpreted ?
Your interpretation of Dan 9. Absolutely no one broke up the last week as you and other Pre Mil do. It is literally an invention from the past 150 yrs. Its called Dispensationalism, created by John Nelson Darby in the 1850's, prior to that absolutely no human being on Earth every thought to take the last week of that Prophecy and break it up.

So if you believe that your interpretation of Dan 9 is going to lead you to the exact time of Christs Return, then just remember your interpretation was invented by a guy in the 1850s... I dont put much stock in that guy but apparently almost every Christian on this site thinks this dude was 100% on his views...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
An interesting study on Dispensationalism

*Just so other people know what we are talking about, this diagram might help...

milenia2.jpg.1a70e07498973f214643443368539ba4~2.jpg

Last edited:

Daciple

Star
Not able to watch videos, are you able to summaries what he is saying? I assume its something trying to disprove John Nelson Darby as being the creator of Dispensationalism...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Not able to watch videos, are you able to summaries what he is saying? I assume its something trying to disprove John Nelson Darby as being the creator of Dispensationalism...
I haven't watched it all yet but so far it's very good. One question rather than a summary - did Athanasius invent the Trinity? I think not, but I'm sure you appreciate my point...

Btw - it's a conversation worth having -

I found this summary respectful and helpful of two differing perspectives.

Question: "What is Covenant Theology?"

Answer: Covenant Theology isn’t so much a “theology” in the sense of a systematic set of doctrine as it is a framework for interpreting Scripture. It is usually contrasted with another interpretative framework for Scripture called “Dispensational Theology” or “Dispensationalism.” Dispensationalism is currently the most popular scriptural interpretative method in American evangelicalism, and has been so from the latter half of the 19th century. Covenant Theology, however, remains the majority report for Protestantism since the time of the Reformation, and it is the system favored by those of a more Reformed or Calvinistic persuasion.

Where Dispensationalism sees the Scriptures unfolding in a series of (typically) seven “dispensations” (a dispensation can be defined as the particular means God uses to deal with man and creation during a given period in redemptive history), Covenant Theology looks at the Scriptures through the grid of the covenant. Covenant Theology defines two overriding covenants: the covenant of works (CW) and the covenant of grace (CG). A third covenant is sometimes mentioned; namely, the covenant of redemption (CR).

https://www.gotquestions.org/covenant-theology.html

Last edited:

Bacsi

Star
Bible didn't exist forever. There was a time it didn't exist. It wasn't dropped down from the sky. This anthology of literary works was written over many centuries gradually and was basically compiled into one volume in two steps. There are slightly different versions of the Bible depending on the church. It spread over some regions of the planet slowly and gradually, and there are large regions where the Bible isn't read, studied or beleived in. It has not been translated into many languages. Not all existing translations into different languages are of good quality or up-to-date. The full context of the Bible was lost in the old times and is not really known to modern people of different cultures.

Anyways. With such limitedness in time, space and meaning, this book cannot claim to be the one and final authority on God. It's like saying a picture of the visible side of the moon made with a Polaroid camera shows every little rock and cavern the surface of this natural satellite of the earth has.

Nowhere near.

Daciple

Star
I haven't watched it all yet but so far it's very good. One question rather than a summary - did Athanasius invent the Trinity? I think not, but I'm sure you appreciate my point...
Did he invent the Trinity, no, it was conceptualized well before him, he just happened to be someone who was a fierce defender of it in opposition to Arianism. It was also a very well understood belief that a huge if not the mass majority of the Church believed and accepted.

Do I understand the point you are trying to allude to? Sure, but I dont believe that it really is comparable. As I said the Trinity was understood pretty much as soon as the Church came into being, and we have plenty of writings of Early Church Fathers that all describe the Trinity. Athanasius just happened to be a prominate figure during the Nicaea Council Era that upheld the already established understanding of the Trinity.

Dispensationalism was NOT understood for hundreds of years prior to JND. This method of interpretation did NOT exist before the man came around. We can NOT go back to the 1700s-1st Century and find detailed writings describing how he interpreted the Bible. There are no writings of the Early Church Fathers that in anyway hold to what anyone would call Dispensationalism.

It just did not exist in any form or way.

And I took a glance through some of the comments, and one thing I want to say that was mentioned there, we have zero new information concerning the Bible itself. It is the same as it was in the 1st Century so there can not be the same comparison as the coming of Christ to "change" the interpretation of the Old Testament. Jesus indeed changed the way people viewed the Old Testament, however there is been zero Revelation of Christ since the Bible was completed. The people of the 2nd-18th Century had the same knowledge of Scripture and the same Holy Spirit we do.

So with that said I dont really believe your mentioning of Athanasius is a fair comparison. It would be fair if say there was zero other writings for the hundreds of years before him and no one else debating or suggesting the Trinity and then he came on the scene declaring it. That is what JND did...

Daciple

Star
With such limitedness in time, space and meaning, this book cannot claim to be the one and final authority on God.
Right because an infinite God can not do such a thing correct?

Just because you dont accept it as the final authority on God doesnt mean it is not, Scripture is declared as the Final Authority on God and considering God can literally do anything He wants I am sure He can create Scripture to be the Final Authority of Himself...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
@Daciple

I was just firing off one from the hip with the mention of Athanasius - it is not an exact comparison.

The wider and more important question to me is this.

Is the length of time the Church has held a particular interpretive framework the key factor in deciding if it is the right one.

The second question I have would be to wonder if there might be value and purpose in both frameworks for the Church at points in its history.

The video I posted up really does put it far better than I could at 2:36am (my time).

It's clear that Christians have failed to see eye to eye over these issues since they became an issue! That's why I just want to say that beyond our differences in these frameworks, I value you as a brother in the Lord and look forward to a good dialogue with you over the issue. Who knows - I might learn something! You introduced me to the idea of Molinism which was very interesting.

Daciple

Star
Is the length of time the Church has held a particular interpretive framework the key factor in deciding if it is the right one.
Do I believe that it is THE key factor in deciding it is the right one? No, of course THE key factor is how closely does it align with how Jesus, and the Apostles themselves interpreted the Old Testament Prophecies. After studying the flip side of Dispensationalism (which I must mention yet again, I held to for most all of my Christian walk) I am beginning to see that the method in which that framework interprets the Bible is very far removed from how Jesus and the Apostles interpreted the Bible.

However I do indeed, after more careful study, believe that it is very essential to look at the length in which an ideology has been held thru out Church History as to its overall veracity.

Can I ask you to answer this specific question for me brother, can you name 1 Doctrine you hold to apart from Dispensationalism (and its outlying and attached ideologies) that has only come into creation in the Christian Church in the past 150 yrs?

I believe that if you do a true deep search, that you will answer not one, and why do you think that is?

I believe we need to be much more studious as to where we discern our Doctrines from, I can tell you that I accepted Dispensationailsm for years but didnt realize it didnt exist until John Nelson Darby invented it in the mid 1800's. I bet 90% of Christians who hold this ideology dont recognize that it was invented at that time and when they do they dismiss the importance of that fact. It causes Cognitive Dissonance. I am quite sure if we found out other deeply held and central beliefs of our faith was created 100 yrs ago, or 20 yrs ago we would look upon that believe with skepticism, but it would also cause Cognitive Dissonance (CD) depending on how central or deeply held that idea was. Of course if it was something deeply held and caused that, then we would immediately find ways to rectify or dismiss this information, and that is exactly what happens when a Dispensationalist is met with the facts concerning Dispensationalism.

How do I know this? Because it happened to me. I tried to cover up that glaring problem of one man 150 yrs ago inventing my deeply held view on Eschatology by creating in my own mind the exact argument you have offered me, its not that big of a deal. Then I tried to go back in History in hopes of alleviating that CD by finding Early Church Fathers that AT LEAST believed in Pre Millennialism. I found one or two but they definitely didnt hold to Pre Mil in any sense that resembles the teachings of Dispensationalism. After succumbing to that fact I began to look to see if ANYTHING resembling Dispensationalism was taught at ANY TIME prior to JND, and the facts are, no one ever taught it.

So I had to deal with these clear facts, and I then had to deal with other things going on in my life that were causing me to rethink the positions I held concerning these beliefs and so instead of dismissing these facts, I began to see if these ideologies were actually Biblical. I began to study how Jesus and the Apostles interpreted Prophecies, I began to look at other Eschatologies to see if they met the 3 criteria I was wanting to see in a Doctrine I should hold to and profess. 1 Does it line up with Scripture. 2 Is it articulated in the same methodology as Jesus and the Apostles interpretations of Scripture and 3 Does it have a long held History in the Church including from the Early Church.

In my studies Dispensationalism doesnt line up to any of those 3 and so I have come to pretty much reject it as the correct Eschatology. It definitely wasnt something I came to over night, this has been something I have been going back and forth about for about 2 1/2 yrs, but again it is hard to give up an ideology that you were indoctrinated with since becoming a Christian. Its hard to reject the majority of Modern Churches teachings, but I am willing to forego acceptance into these mainstream Churches because the evidence against Dispensationalism is too massive to ignore any longer for myself.

The second question I have would be to wonder if there might be value and purpose in both frameworks for the Church at points in its history.
Could there be? Thats a tough question, in my view point I see Dispensationalism and especially Pre Trib Pre Mil Rapture Doctrine ( which is the most prevalent and might I add the one I held too growing up before studying intently the origins or veracity of any Eschatology) as being quite detrimental to the Faith if it is wrong. I also dont think that Eschatology is something that changes over time and by that I mean, there is really only one correct interpretation of these text in light of how they ultimately will be fulfilled, just as there was only one correct interpretation of the Prophecies of Christ.

An example lifted from an earlier post I mentioned to Toki, in Daniel 9 either the last week of that Prophecy has been pushed out over 2000 yrs (something needed or else all of Dispensationalism, Pre Trib, Pre Mil Doctrine collapses) or it has already been fulfilled in Christs 1st Advent. If it has been fulfilled then there is no such thing as the 7 yr Tribulation Period, the Peace Treaty, the Antichrist breaking the Peace Treaty, Jesus coming secretly and Rapturing the Church ect ect ect. Only one is correct and I dont see how having such contradictory interpretations can benefit the Church in different points in history.

That's why I just want to say that beyond our differences in these frameworks, I value you as a brother in the Lord and look forward to a good dialogue with you over the issue.
I value you as the same brother and definitely dont look at our differences in these ideologies as something that should cause us division, we both believe in all the things that really matter, you know the Doctrines that were established 1000s of years ago and professed throughout History by the Church since its foundation :p

And I hope we can actually have the discussion, I have been trying to for months now with you but most of the time I have been met with a video, a copy paste and a polite decline lol

Any discussion would only benefit us more by learning from each others perspective, even if we never come to the others side we will have to more deeply learn our own ideologies to maintain a respectable and engaging dialogue supporting our positions. I will leave it up to you tho brother, ask away, offer objections, defend your positions.

One last thing just putting it out there, I do find it rather suspicious that Dispensationalism was created and pushed into the World at the same time as all of these other False Teachings/Teachers were springing up. Does it have any bearing on Dispensationalisms truthfulness? Idk but Satan was definitely afoot in creating a whole slew of False Religions, Teachings and Teachers at this exact time in America...

John Nelson Darby 1800-1882, invented Dispensationalism around 1830
William Miller 1782-1849 created a Religion/Cult called the Millerities most famous for his incorrect prediction of the Return of Jesus on Oct 22 1844, called the Great Disappointment. His sect split up and from them came...
Charles T Russel 1862-1916 founder of the Jehovah Witnesses drew much of his Escatology from the Millerities and its False Teachings on Jesus Return.
Ellen G White 1827-1915 founder and False Prophetess of Seven Day Adventism, denied the Trinity and like CTR sprang from the Millerities and based her False Teachings and Escatology on the Great Disappointment.
Joseph Smith 1805-1844 not related to the Millerites, JS is the founder of Mormonism and of course we all know their False Teachings and him being a False Teacher/Prophet as well.

This is the time in which Dispensationalism sprang forth, during a massive movement of AntiChrist False Teachers, False Prophets and Cults popping up all around, all of which are still here today leading millions to Hell. Not only was all of this going on but we also have some other big time AntiChrist people popping up that influenced the world greatly and we are still feeling the affects of them today. Mainly:

Helena Blavatsky 1831-1891 essentially the founder of the Modern New Age Movement wrote all sorts of books on Occultism and influenced one of if not the most influential people of the 1900s in terms of Occultism reaching the mainstream, which would be Alice Bailey.
Albert Pike 1809-1891 the author of Morals and Dogma essentially the Bible for Freemasonry. And when we take alone those 3 and their teachings, they all say they plan on using the Church to push their ideologies and in my opinion were very successful.

When I look at all of this, I see that Dispensationalism came out of very bad soil, but hey if none of that matters to you then so be, it definitely made me raise a brow tho...

Hope to continue the discussion brother...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Here is another interesting view (copied and pasted of course ;-) I haven't read the book but it appears to look at the false dichotomy between the either/or way of looking at these questions and consider that in certain senses BOTH are the correct answer...

What Is Progressive Covenantalism?

by Stephen Wellum and Brent Parker

From the beginning the church has wrestled with how to put together the biblical covenants and understand the nature of fulfillment in Christ Jesus our Lord. In fact, it is impossible to understand many of the early church’s struggles apart from covenantal debates. For example, think about the debate regarding the Jew-Gentile relationship in the church (Matt 22:1–14; Acts 10–11; Romans 9–11; Eph 2:11–22; 3:1–13), the Judaizers’ false covenant theology (Galatians 2–4), the need for the Jerusalem Council (Acts 15), the strong and weak debate (Romans 14–15), and the question of how Christians ought to relate to the Mosaic law (Matt 5–7; 15:1–20; Acts 7; Romans 4; Hebrews 7–10). All of these debates are simply the wrestling with the larger debate regarding the relationship between the covenants, specifically the old and new covenants.

Today, especially within evangelical theology, this debate continues unabated as represented by the two dominant biblical-theological systems of dispensational and covenant theology (and their varieties). Although these two views agree on many areas central to the gospel, they differ on their respective understanding of the nature and interrelationship of the biblical covenants. On these points of disagreement, there is still much division, especially on questions of how the Mosaic law applies to Christians today, the Israel-church relationship, and the various entailments of these discussions for ecclesiology and eschatology. In this ongoing discussion a consensus seems difficult to reach, especially if one remains within the confines of the two views.

In recent years a number of people have sensed the need for a mediating position on these debates, especially arising from the discipline of biblical theology. This is why Peter Gentry and I wrote Kingdom Through Covenant (KTC), in which we proposed a slightly different way of thinking through the narrative plot structure of the Bible in contrast to the current views. Although we have benefited much from dispensational and covenant theology, we were also convinced an alternative view was needed to resolve some of these disputes.

We labeled our view progressive covenantalism (PC) to distinguish it from various alternatives. Progressive seeks to underscore the unfolding nature of God’s revelation over time, while covenantalism emphasizes that God’s plan unfolds through the covenants and that all of the covenants find their fulfillment, telos, and terminus in Christ. We strongly argue for the unity of God’s plan-promise culminating in the new covenant. Our focus on the new covenant is not to exclude the other covenants since in God’s plan each covenant is significant. In order to discern that significance, each covenant must be placed in its own covenantal location and then placed in terms of what covenant(s) preceded it and follow it before we can rightly discern how God’s entire plan is fulfilled in Christ. By doing this, we interpret Scripture on its own terms and discover God’s glorious plan unveiled before our eyes. We learn how in Christ all of God’s promises are yes and amen (2 Cor 1:20).

https://www.bhacademicblog.com/what-is-progressive-covenantalism/

P.s. The church I started out in was very traditional and certainly "Covenental" ;-)

Last edited: