Bible Question

Renegade

Veteran
If God intended the daily walk of faith of a believer to be centered on the bible...

Why did Christ come 1400 years before Gutenberg..??

Damien50

Star
If God intended the daily walk of faith of a believer to be centered on the bible...

Why did Christ come 1400 years before Gutenberg..??
To cement the word of God in the heart of believers and task them with spreading the gospel in whatever way they could at the time?

2 Kings 22:13 KJV
Go ye, enquire of the Lord for me, and for the people, and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that is found: for great is the wrath of the Lord that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not hearkened unto the words of this book, to do according unto all that which is written concerning us.

Todd

Star
Excellent question.....

While I think the written word of God is "a" (not "the") foundation for knowing God, I sometimes question if the Church has made an idol out of the Bible. The word of God is so much more than JUST the Bible.

Then again I have the supposedly "heretical" view that the Bible contains the Word of God, rather then the view that every word in the Bible is the word of God.:eek::p

Damien50

Star
Then again I have the supposedly "heretical" view that the Bible contains the Word of God, rather then the view that every word in the Bible is the word of God.:eek::p
When we say that Bible is the Word of God it does not mean that God spoke everything that is recorded in its pages. The Bible contains the words of hundreds of different men and women. What the Bible claims for itself is that it is a true account of what these people said. Furthermore, those people who were speaking for God have God's authority behind their words.

However some individuals, who did not speak for God, also had their words recorded. While their words are part of Holy Scripture, they do not have God's divine authority behind them. Their words are not to be understood as infallible truth from God. The context makes it clear whether a person is speaking for God or that Scripture is merely recording the non-authoritative words of someone.

It is clear that the Scriptures by their direct statements testify to their own divine origin and unique authority. In both testaments the Bible claims to be God's revealed Word to humanity. Scripture itself claims the following things: it is a record God speaking, it is infallible, it was written to benefit future generations, it is eternal and unchanging, it is powerful, true, a guide for daily living, authoritative, and the Word of God. Thus it is the assertion of Scripture itself that it is more than a mere human book-it is the very Word of God. These claims must be taken seriously.

However not every word in the Bible was spoken from God. Scripture records the speech of hundreds of different people. Some of them spoke for God and some of them said things that were contrary to the truth of God. The context must determine whether something in Scripture is a Word from God or the mere words of humans.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Like Todd, i will also say, excellent question. I believe God designed that His word will spread, Gutenberg or no Gutenberg. For example the account in Acts 8:26-39, of Phillip and the Ethiopian. He was reading the 'book of Isaiah' when Phillip came up to the chariot. The question remains whether he had it in his possession before journeying up to Jerusalem to worship or he acquired it in Jerusalem and brought it down with him. And i believe that be representative, as in people in surrounding countries, had access to various parts of the scripture. I've also come across accounts in China similar to this. When bibles were banned, people 'survived' on pages pulled out of them. Sometimes its was a single book, say the psalms, or half of it, anything to stay 'spiritually afloat'.

Deuteronomy 6:6-9
"And these words, which I command thee this day,
shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of
them when thou sittest in
thine house, and when
thou walkest by the way,
and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine
eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates."