Bible doesn't judge people, and it's confusing/easy to exploit ?

Vytas

Star
So Moses kills a man, Saul conjures spirits, David fornicates, Abraham lies, Solomon learns witchcraft, too many clever wives with wrong interests...Etc etc, we are never told what they did was wrong or how terrible they were. We are simply told the story without any judgement. So if my moral compass is broken and I view it as a separate event...it may raise my eyebrows...Bible trusts it's reader to be fully capable of knowing the difference between good and bad...Also key is to see what happens next...Everything has a price, I could argue, that Moses refused to speak to people and asked for help because he got spirit of anxiety in him through act of killing and nobody could prove me wrong, but perhaps that's too extreme to accept as truth for most...Saul felt in despair after seeking spirit, you do not ever get that from, God....Other source. Solomon regrets his life in old age, Abraham now has problems, not to mention lying is found later in his generations, Davids son copycats father, surprise surprise what a coincidence, that's why we are told that kids will pay for our sins, God doesn't do the punishing. We do it ourselves, because it gets to the family...Dont know if it was good or bad in Bible ? Check what happened later, the consequences of it...If you do wrong, wrong is what will happen.
So I feel like I made a point, feel free to add more examples. What was done -what happened after ? Or if it gave you some thoughts I would love to hear them...

Dalit

Star
Your post reminds me of this video. I'm not Catholic, but I like Mike. Yes, it's partly because he's cute and well spoken.

Judgmentalism can run within families, too. My dad's family is really judgy and so is he and so can I be. :-( He and I talk about things or people and he will play devil's advocate even if he agrees with me just to tick me off.

But anyway, it's important to be aware of one's judgments and biases and actively work toward empathy and changing such.

Vytas

Star
I first time see that dude if he is that Mike...
Lol I try not to think what I might have gotten from my biological parents, aren't very attractive possibilities. Perhaps you were judgemental in the past if you aren't pretending you aren't judgemental at all. I can't think of single example. Would have not guessed it...
I got some responsibility and partying problems I might have an idea who contributed to that..

Last edited:

Vytas

Star
I created this thread because of polygamy (do not confuce with Polymog) approach some people have, just randomly switched between topics, I believe I do that quite often, im not pretending every single thought is mine, I don't care about that. How vain one should be to think like that, almost like creating socks and thinking you are more clever than everyone...Finding right videos and posting links is hard work for me now, that was attempt at contribution lol In case somebody else mentions more Mikes. ..

Last edited:
So Moses kills a man, Saul conjures spirits, David fornicates, Abraham lies, Solomon learns witchcraft, too many clever wives with wrong interests...Etc etc, we are never told what they did was wrong or how terrible they were. We are simply told the story without any judgement. So if my moral compass is broken and I view it as a separate event...it may raise my eyebrows...Bible trusts it's reader to be fully capable of knowing the difference between good and bad...Also key is to see what happens next...Everything has a price, I could argue, that Moses refused to speak to people and asked for help because he got spirit of anxiety in him through act of killing and nobody could prove me wrong, but perhaps that's too extreme to accept as truth for most...Saul felt in despair after seeking spirit, you do not ever get that from, God....Other source. Solomon regrets his life in old age, Abraham now has problems, not to mention lying is found later in his generations, Davids son copycats father, surprise surprise what a coincidence, that's why we are told that kids will pay for our sins, God doesn't do the punishing. We do it ourselves, because it gets to the family...Dont know if it was good or bad in Bible ? Check what happened later, the consequences of it...If you do wrong, wrong is what will happen.
So I feel like I made a point, feel free to add more examples. What was done -what happened after ? Or if it gave you some thoughts I would love to hear them...
God shows the results of disobedience of His will and the results it brings. He allows men to rely upon their Adamic nature to show man needs God....but he never removed grace from the equation. It was always there for the man who humbled himself before God. (Gen. 6:4-8). Christ said David was a man after His own heart (The Psalms) 1 Samuel 13:14. And God is sovereign, Who are we to say to God, why did you make us like this. We are still on the potters wheel (Romans chapter 9) Study it.

DavidSon

Star
I'm sure your ideas could be taken in all different directions, which is great. You're right- we may be forgiven but there are consequences. People make up after a fight but it will always be a reality. As you said, many of the stories are told with only general details. The subtle elements are left open to interpretation and I think that's where we bring life to the Bible. There's so many churches and beliefs... it may not have been intended but the openness is there to gather different meanings.

I agree with the reply of @Douglas Summers. Despite their faults, we know the Biblical Patriarchs repented and were forgiven. This was posted earlier, that Solomon's Ecclesiastes is a testimony of his straying yet returning to the fear of God. The central message of many of the stories is about forgiveness and mercy.

Lisa

Superstar
The central message of many of the stories is about forgiveness and mercy.
Is it? Which stories?

Despite their faults, we know the Biblical Patriarchs repented and were forgiven.
Do we know that?

This was posted earlier, that Solomon's Ecclesiastes is a testimony of his straying yet returning to the fear of God.
Do we know that for sure..or is that someone’s interpretation?

Lisa

Superstar
But anyway, it's important to be aware of one's judgments and biases and actively work toward empathy and changing such.
How do you know that you’re changing things to the right? I’m not sure all empathy is good either, I guess it depends on the circumstanc.I think that’s why God says that He begins a good work in you and you are transformed by the renewing of your mind..its not we who does the changing but God. We think we change to be who He want’s but how do we really know that we are changing to be what He wants.

I think prayer is what changes you. When we pray, it activates our faith in God and God works best with that, then someone who thinks they know how to change themselves.

Lisa

Superstar
With the exception of Moses with regards to the 10 commandments and all the other laws which were written later..all your examples knew the law and therefore.. so there was a commentary that what they did was wrong.

I also think that Paul tells us that God wrote His laws in our hearts..and really by eating of the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil..we do know, we just sin.

Romans 10:14-15
For when gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them.​

Stephania

Star
It does judge people.. but the difference is the unforgivable sin.. if you sin and don't repent . And attribute the sin to the holy God and say it is fine and God likes it.. and you are smarter than God.. that is blasphemous of the spirit like satan

Stephania

Star
Moses, Solomon etc.. all felt bad and repented. They didn't become gods enemies and try to take his place in sin

UnspokenSoliloquy

Established

I agree, I think the Bible shows we are fallible humans we sin and can still receive redemption from God but that doesn’t mean
We won’t have to go through the consequences. On a more spiritual level the whole concept of “good and bad” is kind of answered. We don’t really have the capacity to be “good” truly good. We learn morals but to be able to have that nature within, we would need God’s help to change our human nature. That’s my interpretation anyway.

Vytas

Star
I'm sure your ideas could be taken in all different directions, which is great. You're right- we may be forgiven but there are consequences. People make up after a fight but it will always be a reality. As you said, many of the stories are told with only general details. The subtle elements are left open to interpretation and I think that's where we bring life to the Bible. There's so many churches and beliefs... it may not have been intended but the openness is there to gather different meanings.

I agree with the reply of @Douglas Summers. Despite their faults, we know the Biblical Patriarchs repented and were forgiven. This was posted earlier, that Solomon's Ecclesiastes is a testimony of his straying yet returning to the fear of God. The central message of many of the stories is about forgiveness and mercy.
Sometimes your responses really surprises me, in a good way. And I agree Bible comes to life, people find personal messages, find insights never seen before, explore different angles finding different pov's etc etc..

Vytas

Star
It does judge people.. but the difference is the unforgivable sin.. if you sin and don't repent . And attribute the sin to the holy God and say it is fine and God likes it.. and you are smarter than God.. that is blasphemous of the spirit like satan
Well there are examples... Romans 1:28 for example God did it, because that's what they wanted...You want to be miserable freak, here you go...

Vytas

Star
How do you know that you’re changing things to the right? I’m not sure all empathy is good either, I guess it depends on the circumstanc.I think that’s why God says that He begins a good work in you and you are transformed by the renewing of your mind..its not we who does the changing but God. We think we change to be who He want’s but how do we really know that we are changing to be what He wants.

I think prayer is what changes you. When we pray, it activates our faith in God and God works best with that, then someone who thinks they know how to change themselves.
I think empathy is always good. It's about amount of it. If you over concerned, you stop prioritise yourself, even when it's appropriate..

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
@Vytas

I think it is interesting the way God reveals David’s sin to him - he gives him the opportunity to judge it in another person, then sees it for himself. Just as God saw more to David than his sin, so he does with us.

2 Samuel 12 King James Version (KJV)

12 And the Lord sent Nathan unto David. And he came unto him, and said unto him, There were two men in one city; the one rich, and the other poor.

2 The rich man had exceeding many flocks and herds:

3 But the poor man had nothing, save one little ewe lamb, which he had bought and nourished up: and it grew up together with him, and with his children; it did eat of his own meat, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom, and was unto him as a daughter.

4 And there came a traveller unto the rich man, and he spared to take of his own flock and of his own herd, to dress for the wayfaring man that was come unto him; but took the poor man's lamb, and dressed it for the man that was come to him.

5 And David's anger was greatly kindled against the man; and he said to Nathan, As the Lord liveth, the man that hath done this thing shall surely die:

6 And he shall restore the lamb fourfold, because he did this thing, and because he had no pity.

7 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;

8 And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

9 Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in his sight? thou hast killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and hast taken his wife to be thy wife, and hast slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon.

10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from thine house; because thou hast despised me, and hast taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be thy wife.

11 Thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house, and I will take thy wives before thine eyes, and give them unto thy neighbour, and he shall lie with thy wives in the sight of this sun.